Non GenCon Awesome: 2009

edited August 2009 in Story Games
Here we go again, time for the big con. News reports. Liveblogs. Product releases. Diana Jones.

Well, I'm not there. You're not there (if you are, piss off and go have fun). So what are you doing that's awesome this week? Let's here about the rest of the gaming world, aside from Indianapolis!

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I'm fiddling with my shiny (actually matte) new LEGO dice! The custom dice in the upcoming new WFRP have me thinking about possible applications for RPGs.

More info on the LEGO Games line, BTW. Herr Knizia consulted on several titles!
  • I am super busy taking in and helping cultivate the Toronto Gaming scene. There's a lot going on (Fanexpo coming up, TAG meetups, my Tag's Folly 4e league campaign, my games at the House on the Hill, and I'm going to try to hit Settlers night next week).

There are gobs and gobs of us, I'm discovering. We just need to meet each other.
  • I'm plotting a new mini-campaign (using Mouse Guard) set in post-Ragnarök Europe, with tech based on Last Exile. The PCs are valkyries on hovercycles who defend a rag-tag city of survivors clustered around the base of Valhalla, by fighting jötunn and giant wolves and warlord jetfighters. It's called Broken Rainbow.

Also, I'm writing and playtesting the (final?) gamma draft of Geiger Counter. Hopefully I can leak the PDF version sometime before the end of the month, upon which it will spread like a celebrity sex tape.
  • Well, I have DragonCon pending, so I'm sort of in half-busy-con-mode anyway.

THIS weekend, though, I'm going to a great show at my local pub (friend's band, then Pipe) Saturday, and Sunday is District 9 with the Dad. Might be working on my K75S Saturday day (drive shaft lube, oil change, air filter cleaning).

GAMING awesome... I got none. I'm in a gaming black hole. I'd be lucky to get a pick-up game of Zendo.
  • edited August 2009
    This Saturday is JenCon, where I will tell the attendees about my ex-girlfriend Jenny, after which we will play 3:16.

My question is, I wonder what we're going to fight about this year once GenCon is over? What's the big bruhah-ha on Story Games going to be this time?
    In past years, it has been:
    "A lot of untested games are being pushed! The system sucks!"
    "I met some indie guys in a taxi, and they sneered at me! The culture sucks!"
    "No one bought my old game and no one talks about it anymore, but people are still buying X's old game and talking about it! Marketing sucks!"

What will we see this year? Something new, or a return to an old issue?

-Andy
  • We could always argue terminology again.
  • I think we should talk about how individual people suck. Really, didn't we always say we should talk about specifics and name names?

I will start: Andy sucks because he's so nice. Andy always seems to have something positive to say, even when things are shitty. That's a shitty thing to do, being nice when I just want to make fun of shit.

Andy sucks.

Maybe I'm no good at this.
  • Brand, you're right. You're no good at this. You suck.
  • We're doing character creation tonight for an ongoing Girl Genius game using the Spirit of the Century rules.

My current character concept is an anthro otter sporting a pilot helmet and scarf who was a RAF flying ace. Some likely Aspects: "Audax Omnia Perpeti!" (Boldness Endures Everything!); "This Damnable Scarf!"; "Curiosity Only Kills Cats."
  • Yay Jen Con! Plus Eric Boyd's coming to town!
  • edited August 2009
    I just started turning my copy of Ars Magica 3rd Edition into an altered book. I'm painting over the text sections I don't need - "Roleplaying is..." "as Storyteller, you interpret the result of every roll..." and some of the more florid prose. I'll use it as drawing/stamping/collaging space and/or campaign note space if I ever run the damn thing.

Sunday we'll have a little family field trip up to the Woodland Zoo and Gasworks Park in Seattle. There will be animals, weird structures to draw, and hidden letterboxes with rubber stamps inside.

Tuesday I hope to run the last installment of "Night In Nan-Madol", a little one-on-one Ghost/Echo-like game I've been running for my wife.
  • Colin, any chance of you posting some pictures of your Ars book? That sounds really cool.
  • I'm hoping to finish our 'Danger Patrol' game this week sometime, but organising a wife and two teenage children so that they can all be in the same house at the same time with a couple of hours free is not easy. However this weekend is the region's big transgender ball, so I will be trannying up and spending an evening as, what I quaintly call, my 'other self'.
  • edited August 2009
    Posted By: MarhaultColin, any chance of you posting some pictures of your Ars book? That sounds really cool.
    Sadly, I just started it, so there's not much to see. I will post some links after I make a bit of progress, though!
  • On the one hand, I'm not likely to get very much gaming in this month, but on the other hand it's looking like I'll finally be able to run a game for a friend of mine who's been curious about RPGs.

I've started translating a cute, free Japanese RPG called Witch Quest, where players form pairs and play a witch and her cat, kind of in the vein of Kiki's Delivery Service. It's got some tarot card-based stuff in it, and the rules for magic have stuff where the potency of your powers depends on the lunar calendar and how much people around you believe in magic. Also, one of the skills is "Wonderful Smile."

I finally recorded that podcast about Blue Ocean Strategy, and I'll probably be posting it some time next week, after I take care of the editing and such.

I got some neat inspiration for Slime Story's conflict rules, which I'll likely be posting about here in the near future.

So, while I kind of wish I could be in Indianapolis right now, I think my brains would be trying to leak out my ears if I was doing that on top of having all this stuff going on.
  • I am earning money instead of spending $650 for a hotel room and $450 for a plane ticket.
  • Posted By: AndyThis Saturday is JenCon, where I will tell the attendees about my ex-girlfriend Jenny,
    Will this be podcasted?
  • Storn posted his character for the next chapter of our one-on-one BW game.

I can't wait to not only GM for Storn and push on that character but to flesh out that part of the map and see what the city of Baal is all about. The Druids of Baal ruled the 13 cities before the reign of the Sorcerer-King, worshiping a cyclopean tree-god called the Elder Ring.

Should be good fun.
  • I've been working on my new Burn Notice-inspired game, doing a bunch of photography, and clearing out the DVR.
  • I'm JenConning baby! I can't wait to hear about Jenny and then maybe I'll play her as a space commando in a hot 3:16 game.
  • My birthday party this weekend is being attended by two different friends named Jennifer (one goes by Jenny or Jenn, and the other Jenner[1]). So hey, now there's a JenCon NorCal to go along with Andy's, I guess. :3

[1] And yes, that is a BattleTech reference, devised by her geeky boyfriend.
  • I'm busy with my draft of Monster of the Week, my game inspired mainly by the Supernatural TV show. It's coming along well, and I'm having fun running the playtests.

Just need to come up with a cool monster for the next session...
  • I am enthusiastically behind anything inspired by Supernatural.

Tomorrow night, I hope I can finally start my Sorcerer game. I think we've got some good, good potential.

Someone said this morning that we've finally broken the last 1000 hours in Iraq. I have no clue as to the veracity of this claim, but it makes me happy to think it's true.

I'm going to pack up a goodly portion of my room in preparation for sticking it in a shipping connex, after which point I will live out of a rucksack for the last several weeks in country.

I may finish Stephen King's Gunslinger series.

Last Wednesday, we played a few stupidly-short games of Fluxx, as well as 4 good games of Bang! The last of which I ended up being the sheriff against two outlaws who were gunning to take me down, and won through skill and more'n a little luck.

Mostly not gaming stuff.. But not everyone can pack in 4 days of nearly solid gaming.
  • Mike, I want to know more about Monster of the Week!

Lance, be careful out there. Let's hope their countdown is accurate! Tell us about your Sorcerer setup?
  • Whenever I get the chance, I stand over the kitchen sink and paint miniatures,,, until one of my boys comes and asks me for a snack or something.

And I'm working on a handful of game reviews for the newspaper, different web sites and our Mid-Ohio Valley Parent Magazine.

Not alot of actual gaming right now, though. After school starts in August and everyone stops going on vacation every weekend, I'm sure the gaming will pick back up.

ME
  • In order of decreasing awesome:

Playing Scion tonight. Hopefully talking about our next ftf campaign.

Over the weekend, I hope to continue to evolve my [yet-to-be-named] game for my father based on the old western serials.
  • Starting a Sufficiently Advanced game for the Thu crew. Went through character-making last night, played through a make-believe conflict. Lots of head-scratching. We're still working it all out.

Ongoing Blossoms are Falling game I'm playing in continues to be so, so awesome. Such a great game.

Probably a big ass board game day coming up soonish. We got bit by the Dominion bug, but after like 50 plays we feel like we've pretty much seen all the various interactions. Need to get the expansion.

Working on my super-sekret postapoc BW hack. Hoping to have something playable really soon.

Halfway through The Steel Remains. Currently it's dethroning A Game of Thrones for hot mature fantasy.

GenCon can blow me.

p.
  • Posted By: ColinCI just started turning my copy of Ars Magica 3rd Edition into an altered book. I'm painting over the text sections I don't need - "Roleplaying is..." "as Storyteller, you interpret the result of every roll..." and some of the more florid prose. I'll use it as drawing/stamping/collaging space and/or campaign note space if I ever run the damn thing.
    Best idea for a book converted into a sketchbook ever. I mean, you're never gonna sell that thing anyway, right?

My plans for the weekend include baking cupcakes and finishing up my minions and NPCs tonight in preparation for my first episode of Farscape tomorrow night. The cupcakes are going to have blue icing (what else would make them Farscape-y?) and the minions and NPCs are going to be aliens on a space station and Zenetan Pirates (using SOTC rules)

Tomorrow: play Warhammer game my husband is running (in which I'm playing a servant just recently turned spy) and escape from chaos dwarf mountain! Also, run previously mentioned Farscape game.

Sunday: Read some Alan Moore Swamp Thing while getting some sun, and finally get some more pictures of my recent enameled jewelry to put up on the new website I'm working on.

Even with all that... I'm still jealous of people going to Gencon. We're planning on hitting that next year!
  • Jen Con tomorrow, District 9 Saturday night, making cherry jam and pickled onions on Sunday, Durham 3 Frost Devils kickoff Monday, Eric Boyd Tuesday, TSOY campaign finale on Wednesday. I am very happy!
  • My sister's getting married.

So, like, free food and booze.
  • I'm creating a secret RPG that's possibly going to be the best thing I've ever done. And it's secret.
  • Posted By: MatthijsAnd it's secret.
    Cool, tell us all about it!
  • Okay, it's like... hey, wait.
  • Jamey and others who are interested,

Monster of the Week is basically a setup where each session the hunters hit some town and kill the monster that's causing trouble there. My core conceit for it is that when a player succeeds on an investigation roll, they get to decide what one of the monster's weaknesses is (and you aren't really tough enough to take one out until you do this).

It's currently just ready enough for me to run it, but I'll likely make a beta version available when I have it all sorted. Not yet, though, as I'm still making major revisions after each session.
  • I'm actually in Canada showing off the new baby to her Haligonian (that means "from Halifax") relatives.

I'm also putting together a Not At GenCon coupon for Rooksbridge — putting in the coupon code "NOTATGENCON" gets you three bucks off whatever. That covers a digital edition or an audiofile, or knocks a chunk off of a print chapbook. So all of my fellow not-at-GenCon attendees can while away an hour with some fantasy fiction, instead of cry into our drinks, mourning missed opportunities (or maybe that's just me).
  • I'm going to Pdx for shopping and to hopefully see people.
  • Posted By: Matthijs
    I'm creating a secret RPG that's possibly going to be the best thing I've ever done. And it's secret.

Hey, are you making fun of me? I can't talk about it!

• edited August 2009
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanPosted By: Matthijs
    I'm creating a secret RPG that's possibly going to be the best thing I've ever done. And it's secret.

Hey, are you making fun of me? Ican'ttalk about it!

Oh, I can talk about my secret project, I'm just keeping it a secret from you guys. Nyah nyah nyah.

Hey, what's your secret project?
  • Posted By: nemomemeWe're doing character creation tonight for an ongoing Girl Genius game using the Spirit of the Century rules.
    Emphasis mine to explain this sounds like it was a TPK. Later, I assumed it was the first session. I was impressed by a GM that could TPK a SOTC crew. That enough acronyms?
    Posted By: ElizabethI've been working on mynewBurn Notice-inspired game,
    This sounds like Liquid Win right here.
  • Can you talk about why you can't talk about it, Joshua? It seems odd that you "can't" talk about a game design project.
  • Because then the ninjas will attack, Lance!
  • Well, I didn't do anything, like, exciting, during Gencon. But I am having folks over to my house tomorrow night to play our Burning Wheel game of love, hate and blood in Medieval Ireland. Not exactly GC time, but I know if any of us had hit the con there's no way we'd be up for it.

So there.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Posted By: Mike SandsJamey and others who are interested,

Monster of the Weekis basically a setup where each session the hunters hit some town and kill the monster that's causing trouble there. My core conceit for it is that when a player succeeds on an investigation roll, they get to decide what one of the monster's weaknesses is (and you aren't really tough enough to take one out until you do this).

It's currently just ready enough for me to run it, but I'll likely make a beta version available when I have it all sorted. Not yet, though, as I'm still making major revisions after each session.
    Years ago there was a cool short story in an issue of Dragon Magazine. This town is being terrorized by these underground serpents, so this wanderer comes into town and demands some huge payment to kill the suckers. He shows the town how to kill them, and then they stiff him on payment, threaten to kill him, etc. So he tells them the only way to make sure the things are dead is to divide them into quarter sections and bury each piece at opposite ends of the town.

Turns out the "serpents" were giant earthworms, and he just quadrupled their monster problem.

I would "love" playing a game in that style, one where the monster of the week is only a portion of the problem.