[Lady Blackbird] What's the current status?

edited September 2009 in Story Games
I didn't really catch much of Lady Blackbird the first time around, but threads keep cropping up about it so I was wondering; what's the current status? Is it still in development? What hacks are happening for it? Where can we get a copy? What are the future plans for it? Anyone know? I've suddenly come over all curious-like.

-Ash

Comments

• As far as I know, it's about as done as it'll ever be. But then I am currently not John's emissary. Currently.

You can find the stuff here: http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/
  • Jason Morningstar did a French-Indian War hack called 'The Bloody Forks of the Ohio'. Not sure if he published it.

I wrote a Twilight: 2000 hack called 'Twilight Blackbird' that I've run several times but have not published.

But honestly, it plays pretty damn sweet as is. I wouldn't expect that John is (going to have time) to do much else to it. Play and enjoy!
  • From talking to John a bit, my sense is that he might eventually make a stand-alone sequel, but it'll be more like the "Deep Space Nine" of Lady Blackbird, being about a different set of characters in a different part of The Blue. Plus, he's focused on trying to get the beta draft of Danger Patrol finished right now. I don't think there are plans afoot for any major revision of the core mechanics or documents.

So, yeah, download them and play. That's what they're there for.
  • edited September 2009
    I hadn't looked at Lady Blackbird until now--I want to run this as soon as possible.

In the PDF, are some of the characters printed twice?
  • edited September 2009
    Yeah, there are two sets of character sheets.
  • I know some of the ideas that John's tossed out for stand-alone sequels, and like Jonathon said, it's more about other setups then revising or adding to the existing doc.

Also, since someone asked about hacks, I'll take the chance to mention the game I ran in The Wild Blue, but with a different set of rules and a different focus. It was all about The Crimson Sky, a revolutionary group who is trying to overthrow the Empire, and how their plots get kicked up a notch when an imperial captain offers to defect his ship. There's an AP here, and the scenario gets a little writeup in the PDF of the rules we used to run it, Revolucion.
  • Posted By: Nathan WilsonYeah, there are two sets of character sheets.
    Thank you.
  • Yeah, that's the state of it. I have some Secret Plans with Morningstar, but who knows if anything will come together. The core Lady Blackbird doc is unlikely to change, though, so don't hold out! Go and play now.

The doubled character sheets are so you can have the full sheets for a quick-play session, and the "blanks" versions for longer-term play (with room to write in new stuff). Probably overkill, but I made 'em so in they went.
  • Well, concerning Lady Hackbird... my friend theloneamigo has been toying with three games that use the same system, and a similar sort of approach (i.e. here's a tad of setting, some pre-made characters, an opening scene. Go from there). Perhaps mentioning them here will force him to work on them a bit more:

He has, recently, suggested:
    My Darn Ex-Wife (Has Taken The Kids And Run Off With An Alien Emperor): half space opera, 90% Rednecks. Pickup trucks with hyperdrives.
    Kickass Solar Jesus and his Twelve Exalted Apostles (working title)
    Legacy of the Iron Duke: Three Musketeers meets a D&D world. All in french (he's a showoff).
  • I love the pdf, and am running it as is, but as a play-by-post, over at www.myth-weavers.com. I'll let you know how it goes, but so far it needs very little actual changes ("once per session" has become "twice per calendar month", but that's about it). I love the flexibility that John has given!
  • "My Darn Ex-Wife (Has Taken The Kids And Run Off With An Alien Emperor): half space opera, 90% Rednecks. Pickup trucks with hyperdrives."

Jarrah, if your friend doesn't develop that, I will. Even if he does, I might still do it. That concept is pure GOLD.
  • A quick question to those reading the rules: the game as written says "When you try to overcome an obstacle, you roll dice. Start with one die.Add a die if you have a trait that can help you. If that trait has any tags that apply, add another die for each tag." I've interpreted that to mean that you can only use one Trait, plus the Tags within that Trait, for one obstacle.

The example that springs to mind is Cyrus Vance, shooting a bunch of mooks, could use his Warrior trait with the tags of Battle-Hardened, Shooting, Two-Gun Style, and Pistol, (but not Fencing) for a total of six dice before he commits to using his pool or somebody helps him. But he could not, for example, throw in the Creepy Stare or Soldiers Tags, because they come from different Traits.

I like it this way, but just wanted to see if other people like it...
  • Lachlan, I've only read the PDF (i.e. haven't played) but I came to the same conclusion.
  • Lachlan: yep, that's the way it is.
  • Excellent!
  • edited September 2009
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: sage</cite>"My Darn Ex-Wife (Has Taken The Kids And Run Off With An Alien Emperor): half space opera, 90% Rednecks. Pickup trucks with hyperdrives."</blockquote>

Jarrah, if your friend doesn't develop that, I will. Even if he does, I might still do it. That concept is pure GOLD.</blockquote>

Oh, it's coming. I'm just working on the finishing touches and layout.