Ghost/Echo Generator (now with Wraith and Echo generators)

edited September 2009 in Story Games
When reading the blog for Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple I came across Daniel Solis' idea for a Pilgrim Generator. It's an idea that really interested me, I guess because it - like Oracles in IAWA - provides enough details to prod the story along without dictating things to the players.

So when I discovered Ghost/Echo a couple of days ago, I had the idea to write up a generator like Daniel's for that game. I've done the first of about four sections - this one is about your character. You can view the work in progress on Photobucket. I tried to follow the format of Daniel's generator and John's product.

I'm interested in your feedback about my generator, but more broadly about whether generators in general are a good idea for games. I think in one-off games they could be a nice compromise between time-consuming character generation and potentially restrictive pre-gens.

Comments

• holy cow.
  • I don't particularly see the value of your specific tool for that specific game. On the other hand, I think generators like that or hot!
  • I like this a lot, though the "I Am" bracket really confuses me. The options don't work in my head.
  • That's cool.

I don't get the I AM bracket either, though.
  • It's a name, right?

"I am .name"

oh cools.
    "I had a chance at a mirror of my self, but I still have the receipt."

I likes.
  • edited September 2009
    Posted By: Christopher WeeksI don't particularly see the value of your specific tool for that specific game. On the other hand, I think generators like that or hot!
    I can understand that. I haven't played a game of Ghost/Echo yet and so I'm not sure how the game feels or what it needs.

As for the 'I am' bracket, JCunckle is right. Names in Ghost/Echo are things like 'Demon, Hull, Grip, Vixen, Coil'. I can make that clearer.

Thanks for looking at it. I'll add something for wraiths later in the day.
  • edited September 2009
    Posted By: SanglorianNames in Ghost/Echo are things like 'Demon, Hull, Grip, Vixen, Coil'.
    Those aren't necessarily names. Some people have used them as character classes instead.

Though they are similar to the list of others, which is more obviously a list of names, so it's suggested, which is nicely ambiguous.
  • edited September 2009
    Johnstone wrote:
    Those aren't necessarily names. Some people have used them as character classes instead

That is cool! Is there some way I can clear up the confusion of 'I AM' without dictating that they're names?

On the topic of things hidden in Ghost/Echo, has anyone else noticed that the three types of loot (metal-paper-stone) match up neatly to scissors-paper-rock?

I've updated the file to include generators for wraiths and echoes.

Check it out
  • Nice! Makes me want to play G/E again.
  • Posted By: Sanglorian
    That is cool! Is there some way I can clear up the confusion of 'I AM' without dictating that they're names?
    Hm, I guess you could use "I am (a)" or "I am/I am a/I am the."

Looks good, btw.
  • .I AM HARPER AND I.AM RUNNING AWAY FROM THE FANS THAT HAUNT ME BUT I DON"T HAVE TO DO IT ALONE. I HAVE .THE MACALLAN
  • Hey, these are amazingly cool.

I'm not sure that I'd use them for Ghost/Echo, but they are brilliant as artifact.