[Redbox Hack 2] Four Classes: Haunt, Grim, Moon and Seraph

edited October 2009 in Story Games
There is still some interest in Redbox Hack 2, and if you would like to be interested in it feel free to read the design blog and download the PDF, DOC and character sheet. I enjoy it as an indie take on the most ancient of RPGs.

The warrior of Redbox Hack 2 is a disappointment. Its companion, the stealthy longrunner, is a fresh take on the scoundrel archetype – skipping across the seas, drawing doorways with chalk and with a contact in every city. The warrior is just a warrior, what we have come to expect from thirty years of fantasy heartbreakers.

I’ve attempted to fix this by writing up a set of new warrior-like classes. Each – hopefully – has a compelling hook in the setting and out-of-combat powers that create and solve problems.

The Haunt is my first attempt. He’s a dabbler in ghosts and spectres, someone who dwells in dark fens and swamps. Download the class here.

The Grim is my second attempt. He’s a a stern and battered mercenary who has seen too many battles and ambushes to hold much hope for mankind. Download the class here.

The Moon is my third attempt. She's a serene martial artist who descended from the heavens to search for her missing husband, the Sun. Download the class here.

The Seraph is my fourth attempt. She’s a human sworn to fight for the Heavenly Host, a master of alchemy and the fickle wind. Download the class here.

In addition, I'm looking for ideas regarding the Wick, a new class I'm brainstorming. A master of demons and of flame, the Wick sacrifices body and mind to fuel his or her spells.

Comments

• Posted By: SanglorianI know there's not much interest in Redbox Hack 2 anymore.
    Untrue!

Don't confuse "lack of constant threads on the front page" with "lack of interest"! It's a game that's been firmly on my brain lately, and I too am thinking of some hacks.

I'll check out your warriors.

-Andy
  • Posted By: SanglorianI know there's not much interest in Redbox Hack 2 anymore.
    Very nearly the first new thing I did after restoring my site was a respinning of the 'dangers' as stakes setting method from RBH in to a slideshow (over here, should you care).

My interest is primarily in the core rulesy bits, yeah. But it's very real regardless.
  • Posted By: Levi-Who-Babbles.
    Very nearly the firstnewthing I did after restoring my site was a respinning of the 'dangers' as stakes setting method from RBH in to a slideshow (overhere, should you care).
    On a side note, I spent the last half-hour reading through your website. I enjoyed the gossip card mechanic from Prophets and I added your three public domain games to the RPGnet Wiki List of Open Games.

I'd encourage everyone else to check out Amagi Games if you haven't already.
  • I've uploaded the second new class, the Grim. He’s a a stern and battered mercenary who has seen too many battles and ambushes to hold much hope for mankind. Download the class here.

Please let me know if you're interested in seeing more new classes for Redbox Hack. I realise this may not be the right community for them.
  • I really like "The Smell of Magic". Excellent talent.

• edited October 2009
    Posted By: SanglorianPlease let me know if you're interested in seeing more new classes for Redbox Hack.
    YES.
    Posted By: SanglorianI realise this may not be the right community for them.
    You are incorrect: This is ABSOLUTELY the right community for these. I'm not being facetious here: A lot of people are reading this thread, and agreeing silently.

-Andy
  • I agree with Andy. RBH is very popular around here.
  • *reading, agreeing silently*
    /Peter - very interested in new classes for RBH!!!!!
  • Posted By: AndyA lot of people are reading this thread, and agreeing silently.
    I will agree openly, just to prove the pudding, as it were.
  • I'm subtracting 5 points from this thread for no link to RBH 2.
  • edited October 2009
    Posted By: Eric ProvostI really like "The Smell of Magic". Excellent talent.
    Thanks, I really appreciate that coming from the game's designer. I didn't realise you were still active in the community.
    Posted By: AndyPosted By: SanglorianPlease let me know if you're interested in seeing more new classes for Redbox Hack.
    YES.

My plan is to release one a week until I run out of ideas. Next week will be the 'Moon', which follows RBH's tradition of naming classes after things they vaguely resemble.
    Posted By: C. EdwardsI'm subtracting 5 points from this thread for no link to RBH 2.
    I've included a link to the blog and the PDF in the original post. Enjoy!
  • I've uploaded the third new class, the Moon. She’s is a serene martial artist who descended from the heavens to search for her missing husband, the Sun. Download the class here.
  • Chris, you do know how awesome this is, right? I mean, it's hard to miss.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks Ryan, I appreciate it.

I've been keeping an eye on the downloads (which box.net tracks). Others might be interested in the patterns if they plan to release material incrementally online. The Haunt has been downloaded 41 times, the Grim 33 times and the Moon 29 times. That the Moon caught up so quickly to the Grim shows, I think, that most people interested in the classes visit Story-Games regularly and scroll down far enough to see this thread. The Haunt's lead is probably from people who downloaded it, weren't interested and so didn't download the others.

The Haunt and the Grim were actually hosted elsewhere, on the Grand OGL Wiki's DM Sketchpad. The text was posted and there was also a link to the PDF. Since the Moon hasn't been posted there yet, it looks like there are only around 4 people interested in the classes on the Sketchpad - either that, or reading the text was enough and they didn't want a copy.

So: when releasing material incrementally, the last release will soon catch up to the other releases. Story-Games is definitely the place for Redbox Hack. Posting the text probably decreases downloads of the PDF.

I'll see if I can post the next class as text as well as as a PDF, and whether that reduces the number of downloads.
  • I was wondering if you were aware that Geocities closed its doors and so the free PDF mentioned above and I think a couple other downloads are now gone. I'd like to read this, but now can't get it.
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I've uploaded the PDF, DOC and character sheet. At one point, the Redbox Hack 1 rules were available from the blog, but I never got a chance to download them.

I've whispered to Eric to check he's okay with me hosting his files.
  • edited November 2009
    I've uploaded the fourth new class, the Seraph. She’s a human sworn to fight for the Heavenly Host, a master of alchemy and the fickle wind. Download the class here or read it without having to download anything here.

I'm out of ideas for warrior classes. The next class I'd like to work on is the Wick, a demonologist and sorcerer. I like the idea that the Wick produces magic but sacrifices body and mind - literally serving as the wick to the flame. But I don't have any ideas for talents that reflect that.

Can you guys help me?
  • edited November 2009
    The problem with fueling a class with the character's mind and body is that RBH2 characters don't have a lot of resources to spend. That said, one power that is powered by hit points might work. Say:

Demon Summoning
    By performing a ritual and spilling some of your blood, you may summon a demon to your service. Summoning a demon costs you a number of hit points, from one to five. These hit points may not be healed until the demon is banished or dismissed. Demons are monsters and follow the usual rules for monsters. A 1 hp cost demon remains for two hours, has two powers, and has attributes that add up to +10. Each additional hp spent on a demon either doubles the duration of the summoning or gives it an additional power and an additional +2 to its attributes. The summoning ritual requires five minutes per hp spent, except that a normally one hp value demon may be summoned instantly for the cost of four hp. Demons are intelligent, malicious and moderately obedient. They like to kill. The appearance and form of the demon is chosen by you, but they never look entirely like natural creatures, always having at least one unnatural feature, such as fangs, glowing eyes, barbed tail, etc. You may only have one demon summoned at a time. You may dismiss a demon you summoned at will.

But if the rest of the powers worked like that, Wicks would be ... limited. Another approach might be to pay for their powers by taking on temporary disadvantages, such -1 to an attribute for an hour or a temporary mental quirk (like paranoia or overconfidence) for a day.

One nasty ability to balance these (which might be too good) might be:

Transfer Cost
    You can make someone else pay the cost you paid to perform your wicked magic. Make an attack as if with a light weapon, and if you hit, you may transfer to the target one penalty you paid for a use of one of your powers (the attack does no regular damage).
  • edited November 2009

I think that it would be more fun if the sacrifices were more narrative and less mechanical. Like this:

Wick Player: My dude summons up a great and powerful fire demon to help us defend the walls. He cuts off the last knuckle of his left pinky finger to complete the ritual.
    GM: Awesome. But didn't he cut off that digit in last week's game?
    Wick Player: That was his right pinky finger.

or possibly:

GM: Ok, so you want to possess the body of the king for the afternoon. What are you sacrificing?
    Wick: The memory of my first and most loyal dog.
    GM: Deep.

• Posted By: Eric ProvostI think that it would be more fun if the sacrifices were more narrative and less mechanical.
    I like this! No depleting of mechanical resources, but the character will get more and more "damaged" over time. Another cost that might be good is life span/age. What if each use of a Wick's powers aged them a month? It would fit the color of burning themselves up to fuel their powers, but wouldn't require a real mechanical cost.
  • Thanks for your feedback, folks. I've been a bit busy this past week, but I have been thinking about the Wick.

One of the talents I have planned involves demon summoning. One of the Wick's attributes is reduced to +0 - say Alertness or Sneakiness. The demon has special tokens equal to the amount of attribute lost, and can use these to (in the case of Alertness) spy on people, make attacks and so on. When the demon dies or is dismissed, the Wick's attribute returns to full in 24 hours.

Another talent involves the Wick enchanting his own fingernails, then tearing them off and giving them to others to use.

I also stole the Gloomdoll's kiss power from Madcorp, but made it based on which corpse the Wick has kissed last.

I hope to post these talents - and more - soon.
  • edited November 2009
    My suggestion for the Wick, why not have "Retirement" end in death or mental cleansing? You just keep pushing with a dark destiny on your heels all the time. Your finish line is to lose either your body or your soul - on your terms.