Threads to Watch: August 11th to August 18th

[url=]Gen Con Indy: Day One Report[/url] via RPG Blog / Zachary Houghton (with pictures)

Comments

• There's a good thread on rpg.net right now, what's your most anticipated new rpg of 2006/2007. The bigger games are getting a fair amount of attention (Savage Worlds: Solomon Kane, new Changeling, DnD 4e, Warhammer 40k etc), but there's a great heap of love and excitement for indie games there too. I've discovered several games I never knew existed, not to mention a few I thought were vaporware (in particular, Wild Talents!).
  • I already paid for my Wild Talents, wanting it now!
  • Aww I miss out on all the preorders! I'm too slow! I'm fuming about missing the BE preorder AND the WT preorder :-(
  • Stuart, your link isn't actually a link to anything.
  • Andrew, according to the wild talents page, you have not (yet) missed out on your chance to preorder.
  • Mike>Yay!

Joshua>Try this link instead.
  • Oh my God, I think I'm going to wet myself. RPG.Net is always a good source of humor, but this thread takes the cake. It's a whole bunch of people saying, basically, "Hey! Some people have dumped something called 'Go Play' into our meme-pool! Let's complain that they didn't design it right! It should be called 'Let's Play' or 'Play if you want to ... y'know ... if that's okay!' so as to be less divisive!"

• That RPGnet thread is hilarious. It also made something click in my head: Jim Bob hates anything that looks to be popular but he didn't come up with himself. "Must...piss...in...Cheerios!"
  • Aw, jeez. I'm really disappointed in the Internet right now.
  • Posted By: Clinton R. NixonAw, jeez. I'm really disappointed in the Internet right now.
    Yeah. Not really a source of humor for me. More of a 'bleah'. :P
  • edited August 2006
    Meh, it's just people's anxieties and electrons. Here, this should cheer you up, it did for me:

http://drivingblind.livejournal.com/167663.html

Fred, who said something to the effect of "I don't want anything more to do with places/etc where Ron participates" back during the Whirlwind of Horrors produced by the Infamous Comment, meets Ron at GenCon, talks to him and everything's cool again. Heck, I just now realized that the Evil Hat forum is back at the Forge! (I didn't expect that)

And this is NOTHING about Fred, who is 10 pounds of awesome in a 5 pound bag. It's simply my ongoing realization that the Internet makes people say and do certain things, while face to face, once you get to know the other and empathize a little, it's almost impossible to hate or dismiss them as easily. People just understand each other a little easier once they meet face to face. It's not the Fred "got over it", or that Ron "convinced him to join the cult" or anything. Two people met, probably shook hands. Maybe had a beer. It's hard to bring anger to bear on a person you've talked to, or shaken the hands of, in real space.

Heck, its like my early conversations with *you* on the internet. I know at some point or other I probably got into it with Ralph or Matt Snyder as well, way back in the day.

Seeing stuff like the above makes the hurting/disappointment powers of the Internet turn into rainbow filled fields of rabbits and bears dancing.

It kinda makes me fear meeting like George Bush or Cheney, for fear of me sstarting to empathize with them or whatever. But hey, that's a whole other world.

-Andy
  • Posted By: AndyFred, who said something to the effect of "I don't want anything more to do with places/etc where Ron participates" back during the Whirlwind of Horrors produced by the Infamous Comment, meets Ron at GenCon, talks to him and everything's cool again. Heck, I just now realized that the Evil Hat forum is back at the Forge! (I didn't expect that)
    I posted angry back then, and realized more recently that I was pretty much just a horse's ass. So I sent Ron an apology and informed him of my owing him a drink. We resolved to meet up at GenCon and talk about the Thing. Ron totally GOT why I went to the angry space in the first place, and we walked from where it all started to where we are now. Man; I just need to remember to call him whenever he says something that tweaks my nose, next time. Or, at least, y'know. Not post angry.
  • edited August 2006
    Posted By: iagoI posted angry back then, and realized more recently that I was pretty much just a horse's ass.
    Well yeah, a lot of swirling feelings were whipping around back then, and in hindsight there's certainly not your fault. And sorry to make a public example of your particular situation here, but seeing the whole resolution unfold in front of me reminded me a lot of my own stuff that got resolved when I finally met people face-to-face. It just really made me smile in that "Care Bears" kind of way. :-)

-Andy
  • Posted By: AndyWell yeah, a lot of swirling feelings were whipping around back then, and in hindsight there's certainly not your fault. And sorry to make a public example of your particular situation here, but seeing the whole resolution unfold in front of me reminded me a lot of my own stuff that got resolved when I finally met people face-to-face. It just really made me smile in that "Care Bears" kind of way. :-)
    No need to apologize for making it public, I posted it on my public blog. Though I may make you apologize for associating me with those villainous "care bears".

SAVE VS SUNSHINE AND FLUFFY CLOUDS OR TAKE 8d12 DAMAGE, BITCH!

But back to topic. The hot threads of the week?

ANYTHING HAVING TO DO AT ALL WITH GENCON. I'm sucking it up like a Peach and Chocolate Milkshake. Mostly because I didn't go and have to live it vicariously through my friends. So basically all the links posted in the "You Must Tell Me About GenCon" are the threads to watch for me. I'm still waiting for some friends to post, like Keith S and a few other stragglers.

-Andy
  • Man, the RPGnet 'go play' thread is super goofy.

Andy, now I must know which care bear you identify with. They are creepy and disturbing.
  • Can we all pick bears?

I want the green one.
  • Awww, I wanted the green one. The one that looks as if it was hoicked up by a sheep.

But of course you may have it, because that's the spirit of the Care Bears.
  • *Hugs Mike*

Oh, don't mind the sheep-hoick. That's just my very special reminder to you of how much I care.
  • Levi: Thanks, that gave me a huge chuckle.

Seriously, guys, one of the things I like most about this place is how pretty much everyone is an adult who treats other people with respect. While being totally open to opinionation, crazy humour and wild, cursing enthusiasm. It gives me hope.

Anyone want to start a debate on whether playing storygames is cause or effect of the emotional maturity?
  • I'd debate that the maturity is a direct result of many and most of us being Forge regulars.
  • Posted By: AndyHeck, I just now realized that the Evil Hat forum is back at the Forge! (I didn't expect that)
    It is? So it is! Awesome.
  • Posted By: JuddI'd debate that the maturity is a direct result of many and most of us being Forge regulars.

GO PLAY BEAR BEGS TO DIFFER!

(And he's coming for you, Andy).

-Rob D.
  • Indianapolis Monthly has an article on GenCon. I'm not sure it's Aug 11-18... but I just read it, so for me it is. ;-) (I found this via RPGPundit, who's site I visited yesterday for the first time after seeing someone mention him in another thread)

The article describes gamers as:
    Most are single men in their 20s or early 30s with bleach-white skin and black attire. Many suffer from some combination of medical affliction, be it a runny nose/dandruff mix, an acne/pinkeye blend. They either talk constantly in a nasal, matter-of-fact tone, or they say little to nothing at all. Under no circumstances does the typical gamer wear a wedding ring, or for that matter stand purposefully in the vicinity of a woman. It’s not that he’s necessarily gay or doesn’t like women;it’s just that since mostly guys game, and gaming is mostly what those guys do, the situation rarely presents itself. When gamer girls are around, confusion, a sort of sexual disorientation, ensues.
    I can't imagine that articles like this would encourage the average person who's never tried an RPG to give it a chance.
  • That's just lazy, pandering journalism. Of course I eat that shit up when they are making fun of hippies, civil war reenactors, and hot rod fans.
  • *hides his wedding ring lest the real gamers mock him*
  • Y'know, I don't think we had any of those "typical gamers" at GenCon. Certainly I didn't see any. Runny nose and dandruff? What is this supposed to be, junior high school? I bet the "typical gamer" also has his name written inside his underwear, as a relic of summer camp. Oh, and he carries his character sheets in a Trapper Keeper with KITT emblazoned on the side.

The unholy resurrection of Miami Vice has opened a door, and nothing can close it. The 80s are returning for us! Flee! Flee the eighties!

• Well said, Tony.

Mike
  • Yes, because dandruffs are a "Medical affliction".
  • *hides his Knight Rider trapper keeper from Tony *
  • IsoIso
    edited August 2006
    They can't even stick with a single gamer stereotype--it seems to blur the 90's LARPer (black clothes, bleach white skin) with the 80's uber-geek (nasal, acne, girl aversion). Now, I saw plenty of scary examples of geekdom at Gencon, but none of them matched the picture painted by the article.

My favorite has to be "When gamer girls are around, confusion, a sort of sexual disorientation, ensues"--wtf! Sexual disorientation? What does that even mean? That gamers (who default as male) just have no idea what these mysterious feelings mean? And, sheesh, 'girls'? Not 'necessarily gay'? Could you sound more sexist, more homophobic? (I know the answer to that is yes, of course, but still)

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.
  • The only sexual disorientation that occurs is the blur of motion as I find the reporter and kick him in the junk. :-)
  • Posted By: TonyLBY'know, I don't think wehad anyof those "typical gamers" at GenCon. Certainly I didn't see any. Runny nose and dandruff? What is this supposed to be, junior high school? I bet the "typical gamer" also has his name written inside his underwear, as a relic of summer camp. Oh, and he carries his character sheets in a Trapper Keeper with KITT emblazoned on the side.The unholy resurrection of Miami Vice has opened a door, and nothing can close it. The 80s are returning for us! Flee! Flee the eighties!
    Awesome. I have my Duran Duran collection right here!
  • Posted By: AndyThe only sexual disorientation that occurs is the blur of motion as I find the reporter and kick him in the junk. :-)
    *Snerk*

I see moments of confusion all the time on the face of female gamers new to my extended circle of gamers.

Usually, it's the confusion of "what are all these fins in the water, and why are they circling?"
  • I'm actually pretty happy with the rpg.net go play thread for a couple of reasons.

1) Despite the cries of the persecuted, some people are grabbing the ball and running with it in awesome ways.

2) It is OH MY GOD illustrating what an absolute clusterfuck it would have been to try to come up with something by committee. :)

-Rob D.
  • Rob: Yes! I'm very pleased with how it's turning out.

I particularly like the guy who made an AMBER Go Play. After all, it's famously "Red means stop, Green means go, Yellow means go faster."

"Go Play FASTER! Play! Floor it! Before the light changes!"

• You mean Orangeman, with his Orange Icon?
  • Orange, yellow ... close enough that I will not be denied my traffic-signal metaphor!

And, also, quit thwackin' me in the back of the head!

• Dude, you totally deserved it.

Now, granted, others deserved it far, far *more*, but I only thwack the people I trust to take it in stride.
  • Y'know, when I posted before about the RPGnet "Go Play" thread and said it was hilarious, I was mostly being sarcastic. I was actually really disheartened by some of the negativity in the thread (and posted as such there). But having read the most recent posts, I'm feeling really good about the thread. People are enthusiastically making new avatars and icons...it's really neat!
  • Posted By: Rob DonoghueI'm actually pretty happy with the rpg.net go play thread for a couple of reasons.

*snip*
    I'm happy with it myself, for the following reasons:

1) That was the first instance I heard of "Go Play", and I'm one of the many converts who simply love the concept.

2) That thread also introduced me to this forum, and I'm loving it as well. Seeing games and theory seriously discussed without slavering fanboys jumping over everything and being able to shift the topic when the discussion requires it is very refreshing.

As for the earlier negativity in that thread, as Joshua Neff said upthread, there are many people on RPGnet who exist for no other reason than to piss on other's fun. Many times for no other reason than because they're asshats.

So thanks guys, for "Go Play" and for this forum.
  • Welcome, Johnnie!