Dreamation 2010 - Fun Stampede in February

Hey, all! It's time to start thinking about DREAMATION 2010. The convention is February 18-21, 2010 at the Morristown Hyatt & Conference Center in Morristown, New Jersey. Last year the Indie Games Explosion scheduled 104 events. We hope for an even bigger Explosion this year!

There are few new things going on this year:

PLAYTEST TRACK
Double Exposure has opened a special track explicitly for games being playtested at the convention. Last year, the IGE had 10 playtest events. Hopefully we'll have even more this year. Dreamation is a great place to playtest your game-in-development. Double Exposure is even soliciting dedicated playtesters for the convention.

EVENT TITLES
All events must have a specific title. The name of the game system will not suffice. If you don't supply a title, Kat and I will do our best to get in touch and request one. Failing that, we'll assign something appropriate.

MULTI-SLOT GAME EVENTS
Double Exposure has a new policy regarding events that accommodate fewer players. Events for 3 or 4 players should be offered in at least three different timeslots, or be prepared for three different GMs running it at different tables in the same timeslot. Likewise, events for 5 players should be offered in at least two different timeslots, or be prepared for two different GMs running it at different tables in the same timeslot.

What I'd love to see happen is for people to form partnerships and collaborate on designing events for the con. For instance, I'd like to take another stab at running Mouse Guard (4 players), but don't currently have a strong idea for a scenario I'd like to run. If someone else wants to run MG less than 3 times, I'd love to collaborate with them on a scenario. I'm not sure whether a dedicated page on the wiki, or a dedicated forum thread would be the best way to solicit these types of partnerships. What do you think?

WIKI
The IGE wiki for Dreamation 2010 is located here. Once you've settled on events, please add them to the Events page, using the "Comments" box. Unfortunately, the wiki got hit by a bot over the summer, so we've password-protected the edit function on all pages. You can still edit pages, you just need to use the password "ige2009"

PARTY!
Mindy and Mendel did a great job organizing the party last year! I hope they're willing to help out again this year, but I haven't spoken with them. If anyone wants to offer advice or assistance, please do so. The wiki page for the party is here.

DEADLINES
Deadline for event submissions is January 8, 2010. This is right on the heels of the holidays, so I suggest getting started on brainstorming and event collaboration soon.

Events submitted after this deadline have absolutely NO assurance of making onto the final schedule. We'll do what we can, but we can make no promises. If the deadline is going to be a problem, let us know via e-mail as soon as possible. The IGE has a gmail account: indiegamesexplosion AT gmail DOT com

WHAT NEXT?
If you want to come out to the greatest gathering of indie goodness on the east coast, what should you do next? Any or all of the above:

1. If you want to playtest a game, sign it up on the Events page.

2. If you want to run a game, think about how many players, and how many sessions you're willing to run. Seek out potential collaborators. When you've finished, Sign it up on the Events page.

3. If you want to help with the party, post to the party page.

4. If you want to come to the convention and playtest at least 4 games, go to the Double Exposure Dreamation page and sign up for the playtest track.

5. If you want to come to the convention, play cool games, and meet cool people, go to the Double Exposure Dreamation page and pre-register for the con.

6. Show up in Morristown in February and get your geek on!

Comments

• INFORMATION NEEDED FOR EACH GM:
    send it via e-mail to indiegamesexplosion AT gmail DOT com
    Name:
    eMail:
    Mailing Address:
    Phone:

INFORMATION NEEDED FOR EACH EVENT:
    post it on the Events page.
    GM(s):
    Event Title:
    Home Page:
    Do you have a specific eMail address where players can ask questions prior to the convention?:
    Type of Game:

Is this a PLAYTEST?

What specific System the game will be run in (including version if applicable)?

Length of game: (usually 4 hrs for most RPGs)

Preferred time slot:
    THU 8PM
    THU Midnight
    FRI 9AM
    FRI 2PM
    FRI 8PM
    FRI Midnight
    SAT 9AM
    SAT 2PM
    SAT 8PM
    SAT Midnight
    SUN 9AM
    SUN 2PM

If you're running multi-round tournament style, LET ME KNOW!

Minimum & Maximum number of players:
    Tell us about player responsibilities (choose one):
    * All Materials for this game are provided by the GM
    *All Materials for this game are offered, but players can bring their own
    *All players are required to bring their own Materials
    How well do players need to know the game system? (choose one)
    *Beginners ONLY
    *Beginners Welcome, rules taught if necessary
    *Basic Knowledge of the game system is necessary
    *Players should have thorough knowledge of the game system, including advanced strategies
    Please choose an attitude rating for this game:
    *Very Serious
    *Serious
    *Fun
    *Silly
    *Very Silly
    Please choose an age rating for this game:
    *Young Audiences ONLY
    *Suitable for All Ages
    *Under 18, Parental Clearance Necessary
    *18 and Older ONLY
    Any additional GMs besides you?:
    Is this game part of an ongoing campaign?

Whether it is a stand-alone game or part of an ongoing campaign, how many times have you run it before?

If it has been run before, please briefly describe where and when:

Will this event require more than a single table? If so, please describe.
  • Would love to participate, but this year the dates fall smack into the Vacation Freeze caused by mandatory merger related training dates at work...so no Dreamation for me :-(
  • edited December 2009
    We'll miss you, Ralph!

Jeffrey Collyer, Remi Treuer and I will all be offering sessions of Fiasco, which will also be available for sale.

If anybody else wants to run my games, I want you to run my games and will help you coordinate.
  • I just posted this over at the crash space section of the IGE wiki:
    Hey folks, let's work to see if we can get enough people for a free IGE room at Dreamation 2010. If you're an IGE designer (/ GM? I don't remember) and want to be in for a free room, post in here. (PS: I'm pretty sure we can only get one room.)
    Let's tap in over at the wiki though, ok?
  • I would love to run my standard suite of games at Dreamation.
    My events hold 3-5 players.
    I am not running events multiple times.
    The idea of someone else running Burning Wheel or Burning Empires is humorous.
    And, if I might further editorialize, it also sounds like a recipe for oversaturation and disappointed second string GMs without players.

So? Considering that my Dreamation events are one of the reasons this policy has been introduced should I just skip Dreamation this year?
  • Just put your games on the playtest track, Luke, and you can even _pick_ your own players.
  • That is strange and not what I'm after. I can't pick the people I don't know!
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, I was kidding. Sorry. The thing I was talking about was this, from Vinnie's plan for Dreamation:
    Double Exposure will be implementing a NEW PLAYTEST TRACK, beginning at DREAMATION 2010. We will be taking volunteer playtesters and giving them an incentive to be in the track at the same level as game masters; in other words, if they playtest 4 games, they get in for free! Players will be filling out questionnaires and DE will be providing authors who want to playtest their games at D2010 a complete list of playtesters with bios from which to choose from for their table, or the option of letting DE pick a group at random. Although this will not be provided to ONLY Indie publishers, I think the majority of the track will be taken up by them.
    I suppose you could submit the games you want to run the way you want to run them, and let DE decide whether that's a problem or not. Vinnie might take it as an opening bid.
  • I'll definitely be at Dreamation. I want to run something. Lots of options. I will have a better idea at the end of December.

Dreamation is an excellent convention. And I love their new hotel.
  • edited December 2009
    These seem like rules designed to fix an unfixable problem (too many people signing up to play a game with a particular designer/GM). It's going to flatten out the schedule and hurt publishers who aren't just pushing their New Hotness, or have multiple New Hotness out in a single year. Putting finished games into the Playtest track to bypass the scheduling rules seems dishonest and likely to lead to bad feelings and distrust.

Is there no way to appeal these scheduling rules?
  • I'm also a bit dubious about the playtesting setup. I'd actually be jazzed to sign up as a playtester, free admission or no, but I don't want to agree to playtest four games sight unseen. I'm somewhat picky about what I like to play, and if a designer picks me for a game I know I'm not interested in, it does both of us a disservice. And it sounds like not being signed up as a playtester for four blind games means that I can't sign up to playtest the games I'm excited about.

That said, I'm signing up to run Blowback. If you're interested in playing, whisper me or something and I'll pick you from the bio list, I guess. It feels slightly dishonest but I don't want to deny people who'd like to play the game the chance to play it, and I don't want to stick people with no interest in spies or relationships into my game, either.

I realize that the playtesting track is a nice thing to support designers, but it just feels more like a ghetto than a safehaven. It's pretty dissatisfying.
  • Yeah, the playtest thing is bizarre, too. Why aren't they just listed with the other games with a 'Playtest' tag? Was this extra layer of registration requested by designers?
  • All these changes originated with Vinnie. He's trying to address problems that impact his bottom line and I respect that. What we do differs in fundamental and non-optimal ways from the RPGA model from his perspective, which is the perspective of making money. The playtest thing, although weird, is his attempt to accommodate our special snowflake needs, because he also recognizes that we are a big draw and he has no desire to alienate us or kill our fun. He talked this over and got some feedback as well, so this isn't coming out of left field.

I'm willing to try it his way. I know if it is a train wreck it'll be changed next year. It may not be a train wreck.

For Luke and Fred Hicks, who are the two guys I can see having significant personal draw as individuals who people specifically want to play with, it is not a good model. But I'm not sure any model is a good model if a lot of people want a piece of you.
  • I'm trying to decide whether to do Dreamation + Origins this year, or just Origins. (DFRPG target launch date is Origins, so, I kinda wanna be there.)

The sitch: I'm not playtesting anything right now, so the playtest track doesn't speak to me directly. I'm happy running pick-up games (but not scheduled ones; it's a quirk) of PDQ# Space Opera. I'd be very happy to play many games and hang out -- Dreamation last year was awesome.

But: money. (Time, too, but mostly money.)
  • Whether it is a stand-alone game or part of an ongoing campaign, how many times have you run it before?

If it has been run before, please briefly describe where and when:
    I didn't quite understand this part until I went to the Dreamation site* and saw it was more of a proposal thing. It seems to be a résumé or list of references for your scenario (or presumably game, if it's not the sort of game that requires prepared scenarios). But I'm still a bit confused by it. Are we only supposed to list times we've run them at conventions?

Also, if I plan to run a game that I haven't yet published, but I'm not playtesting anymore, do I label it as a playtest? Normally I would, because it's shorthand for "not published" and that matters to some folk; but the special procedures involved in the playtest track are making me second guess myself.

And how many games do we have to run to get a badge?

* I'd like to pedantically point out that the answer to their question designed to safe-guard against spam is wrong. If you absolutely must accept that the prequels are Star Wars films, then you should also accept The Clone Wars.
  • Posted By: Epidiah RavacholAlso, if I plan to run a game that I haven't yet published, but I'm not playtesting anymore, do I label it as a playtest?
    That's what I'm (not) doing. That is to say since Misspent Youth is 3 and a half years old or something, and since I am merely editing for final publication now, I'm not going to list it as a playtest anymore.
  • So, if I want to go to Dreamation and run a coupla games with 4 people at a table...what now?
  • Judd, coordinate or run them off the books. I think it'd be totally Kosher (It better be totally Kosher) to offer three sessions of "Indie smorgasbord" as one offering, packaged so that you had 3 tables, 12 players, 3 GMs, 4 hours and a stack of games. I'd join you for that in a minute.
  • What does coordinate mean, Jason?
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarJudd, coordinate or run them off the books. I think it'd be totally Kosher (Itbetterbe totally Kosher) to offer three sessions of "Indie smorgasbord" as one offering, packaged so that you had 3 tables, 12 players, 3 GMs, 4 hours and a stack of games. I'd join you for that in a minute.
    Re-read the thread.

Hm.
  • Bump/reminder that the deadline for event submissions looms - January 8, 2010
  • Hey Michael et al,

Once you reach three sessions, do you know if you can add another to make it four? Or does it need to be in multiples of three? That sounds ridiculous but who knows.
  • Just submitted my entries for running Happy Birthday, Robot!

-[^_^]-
  • Posted By: Luke WheelI would love to run my standard suite of games at Dreamation.

The idea of someone else running Burning Wheel or Burning Empires is humorous.
    I don't quite get what you mean by this, Luke. Clearly, none of the rest of us peons have your level of name recognition, but lots of other people often run BW and MG at Dreamation and DexCon and have full tables. BE I don't know about. Maybe I'll run Fires Over Omac sometime and see how it works out for me.

This also reminds me of one question I still have unanswered: does Vinny want us to run the same *exact* game three times, as in the same scenario, or just the same game system?

Matt
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarJudd, coordinate or run them off the books. I think it'd be totally Kosher (Itbetterbe totally Kosher) to offer three sessions of "Indie smorgasbord" as one offering, packaged so that you had 3 tables, 12 players, 3 GMs, 4 hours and a stack of games. I'd join you for that in a minute.
    By the way, without having read Jason's post, I submitted an event called "Indie by Storm" wherein I run 6 indie games in a 4 hour slot for 6 people (and I even say in the blurb that if more show up, I probably can accommodate them towards the end, since a couple of the games I'm running readily take larger play groups -- especially in a demo situation).

I'm trying to run three sessions of this demo extravaganza, too, so I should be able to make 18-20 players happy.

I have also sent Brennan a warning email so that IPR will have those games for sale, as I expect my demos will cause a small bump in sales. They did at GenCon this summer.
  • Wow! Look at the Event Chart! Geez, it looks good.
  • I've never attended Dreamation, but am thinking about it this year. Trouble is that I've got to work the Thursday and Friday. Is there any point to attending for just Saturday and Sunday? And how does signing up for events work?
  • edited January 2010
    Posted By: WordmanIs there any point to attending for just Saturday and Sunday?
    It seems like a good number of people just come for Saturday. Not so sure about Sunday, but if you can come for Saturday you'll have fun.

DRAY: Let me know how I can support you. I'll at least get you some BPG swag or something, because you are a weird hero.
  • By Sunday things are usually wrapping up, although I've occasionally stayed for a Sunday morning game, and the Indie Roundtable that usually wraps up the con is well worth attending (though I don't know if there will be one this year). But Saturday is a full day of play. There are a lot of games running. You can sign up for games on the "Big Board" on site, but your best bet is to e-mail the organizers (sic) once the schedule is finalized to submit your preferences.
  • If you're only coming for one day, Saturday is the day to do it.

I always liked staying on Sunday when I could, cuz (a) if you're up for a game, the other people who are still energetic enough to play are insane bastards and it's usually great and (b) it's the best time to hang out and shoot the shit. The round-table is good if you're working on something.

I'll miss you guys this year! sad face.
  • Do not underestimate the amazing, unsurpassed joy of sitting in the lounge or bar with fellow storygamers, drinking, and shooting the shit. I hate scheduling anything for the 8PM slot for this reason.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarDRAY: Let me know how I can support you. I'll at least get you some BPG swag or something, because you are a weird hero.
    Swag for me or for the people who play in the demos? If designers want me to give the demo players bookmarks or pamphlets or oral sex or anything else, just make sure to give it to me before the first demo, and I will pass it on, with love.

I like being some kind of weird storygamer hero. The weird part more than the hero part. As my brother told his son, he's a knight, not a hero, because heroes come home in boxes. (My brother is weird, too.)
  • No sexin', because that would be a huge mistake, but I'll have some buttons you can hand out, and you get first pick. It's cool you've volunteered to do that, and I think a lot of people will enjoy it and benefit from it. You might want to put in a "if this particular game is utterly rockin' we won't stop" clause.
  • Wow, I may not have any reason to play in anything but the IGE games.
  • Great program - sorry I can't make it to Dreamation this year - but it looks like my name cousin & fellow Dane may show up to keep Tobias company in the bar - excellent. Have fun all of you - and best of luck with the playtest thingy setup. Hope to hear/read some great APs.
  • Ah, we'll miss you, Frederik. I wanted to include Montsegur 1244 as one of my demos, but I didn't feel like I could really do the game justice in 40 minutes (having played it only once myself, too). I am hoping that by GenCon, I'll have played it again (facilitating for friends) and will better understand if the game makes a good rapid-fire demo.
  • I'm really excited for Dreamation and running and playing cool games with awesome people. This schedule feels a bit lighter than last year, though (and upon checking, yep, last year there were 104 events, this year there are 64). Should we be talking about what to do if there's a big demand for games and not enough seats? Or is the economy so horrible it's going to squeeze down the convention, anyway?
  • Wow, that's a big reduction. As I recall some events were taken care outside the IGE channel - that could happen again. I suspect that Vinnie's weird "run three or go home" scheme turned a lot of people off. It also looks like a bunch of people ignored that rule, so it'll be intresting to see how it all turns out.

I'm excited, too. I'm really looking forward to the convention, and reconnecting with friends, and also riding in a PARTY VAN both ways. Way to hook it up, Mark Causey!
  • OH MY GOD PARTY VAN. You will know who we are.
  • I don't think the rule of 3 / rule of >4 reduced the number of events, just the number of different games being run. I know I am not running a couple of things I wanted to because they didn't accommodate enough people.

Matt
  • Posted By: ElizabethI'm signing up to run Blowback. If you're interested in playing, whisper me or something and I'll pick you from the bio list, I guess.
    So, I'm not interested in signing up to playtest 4 games. Does that mean I have no chance to play Blowback?
  • I think you can play in a Playtest just normally. You just don't get a free pass unless you play in 4 of them (I think?)
  • Not at all, David. Shreyas and I decided to run two tables of Blowback in two timeslots (for an effective total of four slots, if I am reading Vinny correctly, which fulfills the reqs), so that if people want to poke me for a pick-up game, we can definitely do that. I never sign up to play games before the con, anyway-- I like playing it by ear and ensuring I have time to hang with people, so you don't have to worry about my time being booked solid.
  • Remi, I'm not sure if it works that way, because people running playtests choose who plays in them instead of the other way around? I don't know, I am super skeptical of this whole setup, but I'm willing to give it one year.
  • Posted By: ElizabethI am super skeptical of this whole setup, but I'm willing to give it one year.
    This is my feeling, too.
  • edited January 2010
    Oh geez, is that how it works? I thought it was a sort of parallel badge that a player could have. You filled out a form, and said you wanted to play a game, and then the GM could choose from the available pool of interested playtest players.

I'm excited about Dreamation this year, and am preparing a few extra pickup games for what I'm hoping is a larger demand from an insufficient pool
  • Posted By: RemiI'm excited about Dreamation this year, and am preparing a few extra pickup games for what I'm hoping is a larger demand from an insufficient pool
    As I am totally signing up for nothing beforehand, I will totally be in that pool! (And I will totally bring my water-wings and promise not to pee.)
  • Posted By: Ryan Macklin(And I will totally bring my water-wings and promise not to pee.)
    You take the fun out of everything with your manners.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinPosted By: RemiI'm excited about Dreamation this year, and am preparing a few extra pickup games for what I'm hoping is a larger demand from an insufficient pool
    As I am totally signing up for nothing beforehand, I will totally be in that pool! (And I will totally bring my water-wings and promise not to pee.)

Since Magic-8 Ball increasingly points to "Signs Point to Yes" wrt my attendance, I am following this method myself -- not signing up for anything until I get there, and will be roaming around for pick-up games.

(My Dreamation Wishlist: Mythender, Do, Texas Hold 'Em, maybe Dominion. Will also be available to run PDQ# Space Opera, if anyone's game.)
  • Posted By: RemiYou take the fun out of everything with yourmanners.
    I put the fun back in when I surprise you with broken promises.

I promise
    Posted By: chaduMy Dreamation Wishlist: Mythender
    Heh. We'll see. You'll have to get a crew together and corner me for a game -- I'm so swamped these days that I would probably space if I were to try to organize.