Looking for horror movie recommendations.

2»

Comments

• Someone mentioned Frontieres. I loved it, although it has a high ick factor. It has crazy nazis though. Solid, aside from a few ''why are you doing that you stupid, stupid person'' moments.

2001 Maniacs

Has a cult following. It wasn't that bad but I thought it was a bit dated. Still fun though.

Trailerpark of Terror
    Is about some kind of undead trailer trash killing some students. It's pretty well done but ultimately nothing to write home about.

Deliverance
    ...is probably a perfect fit too, right?

30 Days of Night
    I liked this one, although it's not exactly within this genre. It's more of a vampire movie after all, but technically, it fits the bill. The twist is that the evil guys descend on a town instead of the other way around.

Children of the Corn
    Fits well. The first movie is good, the sequels are all crap. The latest remake (2009) I actually liked, unlike the rest of the internet who is nerdraging about it. This remake is actually more faithful to the original Stephen King story, even more than the original movie.
  • Posted By: northerainWhat's true horror?
    I used that term to distinguish from other movies where groups of people torment protagonists, but not actually physically torture and kill them. There are lots of movies where the badguys are the government or a secret cabal or evil organization or corporation, but they are usually thrillers or suspense/action.

Has anyone mentioned Ils (incorrectly translated as "Them" for the english market) yet? "Lucas and Clementine live peacefully in their isolated country house, but one night they wake up to strange noise... they're not alone... and a group of hooded assailants begin to terrorize them throughout the night" I think that fits the bill.
  • I can't in good faith mention it. It was a terrible movie and nothing will ever change my mind about it. I don't care if it was based on a true story, it was just terrible in every way.

(not slamming you, I just hate that movie).
  • How could I forget ''House of 1000 Corpses'' and the sequel (kinda) ''The Devil's Rejects''.
    This was back when I thought that Rob Zombie might end up making a good movie.
  • Really? I didn't love it, but I remember thinking it was okay, pretty classic euro-take on north american horror tropes.

What did you hate about it? I'm curious.
  • I liked the set up, I was a victim of the moderate hype, then around the middle I was thinking ''this is stupid''. I can accept that a gang of kids can eventually kill you, but what kind of person is unable to lock his house and protect himself from kids aged 16 and under? I'm not one to look at realism, I just didn't find it scary, just silly.
  • Oh gotchya. I can't really argue with that, but I read it more as both a condemnation of western european bourgeoisie (so frightened by the slavic other that they can not even defend themselves against some children) or possibly, more negatively, as reinforcing stereotypes about eastern european youths and their nihilistic scariness.
  • Dystopian fiction is about this.

For groups of fear-based oppressors who play harsh psychological mind games and administer torture to people that I'd find innocent, some movies:
    THX 1138
    V for Vendetta

I know it's not at all in the horror genre, but dystopian oppressors lay out some pretty horror-portable principles:
    1.) Blame the individual for their punishment.
    2.) Use the body to control the mind.
    3.) Isolate, and establish a total institution.
    4.) Support neighbors betraying neighbors: this makes the state the only "trustworthy" people.
    5.) Doing your job while staying immaculately clean is terrifying.
    6.) Presentation is everything.
    7.) Present the situation as if they have no one else to turn to.
    8.) Present yourself as someone they can turn to.
    9.) Constantly repeat high-concept statements about your guiding purpose.
    10.) People are tools. So is fear.

Now, look at that list. Slashers use that exact same list.
    #4 becomes "Sow distrust amidst the victims", #5 becomes "Walk, don't run".
    The difference is, in dystopian fiction, there are many perpetrators. The horror villain, as a public institution.
  • Love the compare/contrast, Joe. The only difference that jumps out at me is the fact that dystopian fiction often paints The Establishment, and/or society at large, as the band of sadistic torturers. In George's list, the band of sadistic torturers are transgressive -- how could these people get away with this in this day and age?

IMO the point of the "redneck torturer" genre is to undermine our sense of safety. Or maybe the sense of safety we have perhaps arrived at foolishly because we haven't yet made some random mistake that rips the scales from our eyes and shows us we were never really safe in the first place.

Dystopic horror is almost worse because we're shown that the price of safety is our individuality, and there is no escape to a safe place (except in the dystopic works that feature a rebel underground for outcast individualists).