I love being a geek dad

edited December 2009 in Story Games
I just posted this over at rpgnet:

Originally Posted by Princess Stacey
My players have shown some interest in a Whoniverse campaign.

My idea is to do a sort of impromptu American Torchwood that forms in response to Rift activity in an American Town. The place has always had a "spooky" reputation, but lately activity has been on the upswing, and our heroes are investigators and locals who have banded together to deal with the issue. (Or, if they want, they can be Aliens or time agents or anyone who has stepped out of the Rift).
This idea rocks. I pitched it to my daughters, and they totally started riffing on it. We live in Seattle, and they already had ideas of where they wanted the rift to be located (beneath Pioneer Square in Underground Seattle of course) and what kind of characters they'd play. When I asked what the American version of Torchwood would be called, they said "Torchwood 5 or 6." I asked them how could it be Torchwood, I mean that was started by the Queen of England. "Masons!" they said... So Masons brought Torchwood to the colonies with them, and they have secret enclaves in key cities across the nation, operating independently from the government, and only loosely supported by Torchwood proper. We're playing Mouse Guard right now, but as soon as we need a break from that, we'll be exploring the Whoniverse from our own backyard.

I love being a geek dad. Thanks for the great idea!
------------------------------

So any other geek dads/moms out there have some moments to share?

Comments

• That's so sweet. I saw a copy of Who at Gamma Ray Games and immediately wanted to pick it up.

My favorite is Miss M (age 6) insisting that I draw a dungeon map, immediately, to her exact specifications.
  • Shreyas and I have been working on a card game that emulates the hero's journey. There are 5 suits (Seeker, Peasant, Sage, Romantic, and Adversary) and 5 roles per suit. Each role has 3-5 requirements you must complete before you can switch cards-- with the exception of conflict, which allows the winner to either change their card or change the card of their opponent, so the only way you can actually defeat the big evil dude is by changing them on a fundamental level (Like Avatar (the cartoon)!) Some of the required actions require they involve someone of a different suit. Gwen, my six-year-old, found the cards, sussed out how they work, and then made a few of her own cards!

Superman (Seeker)

Blast Off (Peasant)
    Live amidst the sky
    Separate a weak (Sage)
    Find your mom (Villain)

Chick (Romantic)

Hatch from egg
    Survive food (Villain)
    Be cute
    Live in flowers
  • My 5-year-old son Aidan is really into Mario right now. When he saw me working on Anima Prime, he wanted to play it. So I made up a very simple, somewhat related mechanic, and we played Super Mario Prime, where he plays Mario going out to defeat Bowser. :) My first time roleplaying with him.
  • edited December 2009
    This thread really makes me want to have kids! The problem is you have to be patient and wait 5-8 years before you can roleplay with them. Anyone would let me borrow their 6-year-old?
  • Posted By: IrishvinceThis thread really makes me want to have kids! The problem is you have to be patient and wait 5-8 years before you can roleplay with them.
    Not really! Maybe you have to wait that long to play the sort of games we (as adults) are used to playing, but two-year-olds are delighted by the idea that their toys might have internal lives, with different sorts of relationships and opinions about how things ought to be. I've learned a lot about my toddler's favorite stuffed monster as he actively reveals the character in play — Babo likes to eat trains and cars, but not blocks, for instance, and the turtle puppet likes to eat his toes. Mommy Owl and Construction Guy are his friends. He has a nose but doesn't wear it most of the time. Generally, monsters need to take more naps than big boys (which, of course, Dante is!), and they can sleep on the couch or the big pink chair, as well as in the crib.

These are all things that were asserted into the fiction by a two-year-old, using the system that he's always right about Babo, and I always have to agree and encourage him to keep telling me more.
  • This thread is giving me all kinds of happy feelings.
  • edited December 2009