[polaris] more than one protagonist in a single scene

edited January 2010 in Play Advice
Hey, gang! I played my first session of Polaris with a new group today; this is in addition to the one-on-one thing I started with my therapist friend the other day. We played eight scenes, over a nine-hour period (there were some looong breaks in between, for meals and such), and it went amazingly! All three of us (ha, at least now I'm using variant rules instead of making it up on the fly) were really in sync and had great ideas to share with one another.

So - my question. If two protagonists are in a scene together (and their Hearts have each other listed as Mistaken characters, respectively), and we have one more player who is my Moon, sitting to the side, how should the Moon relate to us? It was my protagonist's scene, but another protagonist wandered into it. Technically, should my Moon have also been playing as the Mistaken for the other Heart, as usual?

I guess we could all be one another's Mistaken, but my Moon had no characters at stake in the scene (except briefly), so I did not act as my Moon's Mistaken... argh! I'm going around in circles; does this make sense?

Anyway, next session *somebody* is heading south to melt down a cursed bronze salamander statue that turns one family's babies into awful lizard-things, and then makes them stillborn. We have a half-giant (he's half-southern, and the southerners have giants among them, we decided) who can tolerate heat of the south; he's taking my physician-knight's nephew along to ensure that he returns, and the politician-knight (another Heart) will accompany.

This game rules.

Comments

• The scene always belongs to one spotlight protagonist.
    That protagonist has a Mistaken Player, and Moons (in this case, both moons played by one person).

Any other protagonists being introduced are effectively NPCs. For this scene, they are "just another character", they have no ritual phrases, etc.

Who should play this 2nd Protagonist?
    Remember whose turn it is. It is the turn of Protagonist A.
    So, if Protagonist B is entering the scene, ask: are they entering as a nemesis/demon/rival/obstacle? If so, the Mistaken should play them.
    Are they entering the scene as a personal connection? What about as a professional connection? If so, the respective moon should play them (in this case, both moons are the same person).

In other words, the scene belongs to the spotlight protagonist. Figure out who plays other characters by figuring out how they relate to the spotlight protagonist.
  • edited January 2010
    Posted By: joepubThe scene always belongs to one spotlight protagonist.
    That protagonist has a Mistaken Player, and Moons (in this case, both moons played by one person).

Any other protagonists being introduced are effectively NPCs. For this scene, they are "just another character", they have no ritual phrases, etc.
    This is correct.
    Posted By: joepub
    Who should play this 2nd Protagonist?
    Remember whose turn it is. It is the turn of Protagonist A.
    So, if Protagonist B is entering the scene, ask: are they entering as a nemesis/demon/rival/obstacle? If so, the Mistaken should play them.
    Are they entering the scene as a personal connection? What about as a professional connection? If so, the respective moon should play them (in this case, both moons are the same person).

In other words, the scene belongs to the spotlight protagonist. Figure out who plays other characters by figuring out how they relate to the spotlight protagonist.
    This is not correct. (It is correct for all secondary characters which are not Protagonists.) Protagonist are never played by anyone but by "his" player.
    Example:
    If I'm the heart player of Sirius, you are the heart player of Cassiopeia and you open a scene in which Cassiopeia and Sirius are present, you play Cassiopeia and I play Sirius. No matter whether I'm a Moon or the Mistaken for you.

I don't have my book here but there is some passage in which it is explicitly stated that only the heart player controls the Protagonist.

Hope that helps.

Edited for the code.
  • Thanks, guys!
    I know we stuck to making sure everyone always played their own Hearts, no matter what. Cool.