Montsegur 1244 - Expansion Set: Vote for story cards

In this thread you can vote for the story cards you wish to see included in the Montsegur 1244 Expansion Set. See the project outline here.

Vote for up to 8 story cards by replying to this post. Feel free to include comments with your vote. The vote ends on January 31st 2010.

Here is the shortlist of story cards you can vote on:

1. Robard de Lorraine
Captured knight

”I surrender”
After a long and bloody battle an enemy knight is captured by the Cathars. It turns out he is one of the inner circle of the crusaders. What can he be traded for? Is he persuaded to join the Cathar cause? Who has he slain?

2. Benoît
Pious child

"Our innocence will shine as a light"
As instructed in a vision, Benoît will march down the hill with a candle. He believes that confronting the Inquisition with his innocence will end the siege. Who would kill a child? Which children will he persuade to accompany him?

3. Beranger de Lavelanet
Died without consalementum

“Today, a bright flame has disappeared”
Someone has died without taking the consalementum. Relatives and friends gather for a moment of reflection, commemorating the deceased. Who speaks at the funeral? Why did the deceased not take the consolamentum?

4. An unlikely hero
A daring raid

“It is our only choice”
Driven by desperation, hunger or a noble cause, a small group lead by an unlikely hero makes a daring raid into the camp of the crusaders. Is someone captured or slain by the enemy? Was the raid worth the price?

5. Imbert de Salles
Sleeping guard

“Zzz”
The outer defenses of Montsegur have been breached in a surprise attack by a scout force. The enemy is repelled but only after heavy losses. Who is wounded? Was anyone negligent in their duties to allow this to happen?

6. Marquésia de Lanta
Incapacitated by illness

“All we can do now is to pray”
An incapacitating illness falls upon one of the Cathars with no sign of recovery. Who prays for the sick? What promises are made? What is changed when the sickness finally leaves the patient? You may also choose one of your supporting characters to get ill.

7. Isarn de Fanjeaux
A ghost from the past

“Is blood not thicker than water?”
A ghostly apparition shows itself to one of the Cathars. It is a familiar face long forgotten. It speaks of an oath sworn years ago. You can also choose to have a long lost relative appear unexpectedly.

8. Light in the dark
An inspirational speech

“Now is the time”
In the darkest hour someone steps forward and speaks of hope, meaning and fulfillment. Is it someone unexpected? What does it change? After the speech, who still carries fear in their heart?

9. Jean de Combel
Close relative on the side of the enemy

“Good to see you again”
You discover that your close relative Jean de Combel is in the enemy camp and working with the enemy. In a battle or other confrontation with the crusaders, you suddenly end up face to face. What happens? Why are you not fighting for the same cause?

10. Captured
Fire and iron

“Please don’t hurt me anymore!”
Choose one of your supporting characters. During a skirmish this person is captured by the enemy. Will the Inquisition torture the captive to reveal information about the defense? Will they offer to let the captive repent? Will they ransom the captive for gold?

11. Two lovers
The power of true love

“I love you”
While the world falls apart around them, two Cathars fall in love. It is unconditional, mutual and true. When do they realize this? Will they keep their love a secret? Choose one other character for your main character to fall in love with.

12. The Flood
Endless rain

"It can only be a sign."
After days of unrelenting rain, the reservoirs overflow. The lower rooms are flooded and the waters rise. The homes of the poorest Cathars will be flooded. Where will they go? Is it a blessing or a warning?

Comments

• 2. Benoît
    7. Isarn de Fanjeaux
    9. Jean de Combel
  • I must admit that Story Cards are the feature of the game that I like less. I find them often intrusive, or out of tune with the atmosphere of the unfolding story. Add to this the fact that they can't add nothing that someone can't add with his or her narration during his turn, and the results is that they are not played a lot in my group's stories.

So I would like to have new cards that are less intrusive, less forcing , more adaptable to different kind of stories, and are able to spark the imagination of people at the table.

From this list, I dislike 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 9 because they insert new protagonists in a heavy-handed manner, turning the "camera" from what the other players were doing. 7 is the worst of the bunch, turning any story into a ghost story, too.
    I dislike 10 for it's heavy-handeness too.

I vote for all the remaining five because it's a way to, in a way, give a "-1" to the seven I dislike:

3. Beranger de Lavelanet
    5. Imbert de Salles
    6. Marquésia de Lanta
    11. Two lovers
    12. The Flood

3, 5, 6 are all things that can easily happen during a siege and don't force a specific response. 11 can complicate the situation raising the personal stakes in another character's well-being (or the jealousy of a third). 12 is rather bland but can show the behavior of the protagonist with the poorer cathars.
  • 2. Benoît
    3. Beranger de Lavelanet
    6. Marquésia de Lanta
    12. The Flood

Graham
  • It's weird but we had hardly any fighting action in our game, the nearest was a sortie in the fog that ended up with the capture of a noble and the accidental death of a character. So, I'm not so keen on the military options, the seem too focussed on certain characters.

Also, I'm not sure about introducing new major characters so I'll settle for 6, 8 and 12. Why is 6 called Marquésia de Lanta?
  • @Moreno: Story cards are there to prevent a creative block for people not as skilled improvisers as your group. The named cards are a way to push names into the story if new names are needed on the fly. It is true that they usually are stronger when played with an exisiting character in focus (traitor). The story cards also set guidance on what kind of elements that can be added to the fiction (Templars - ok, spaceships - not).

@Steve: Marquésia is the suggested name of the Cathar that gets ill.
  • Here's my vote :)

1. Robard de Lorraine
    Captured knight

5. Imbert de Salles
    Sleeping guard

7. Isarn de Fanjeaux
    A ghost from the past

9. Jean de Combel
    Close relative on the side of the enemy

10. Captured
    Fire and iron

11. Two lovers