[Diaspora] Nutty Clusters v1.3 software released!

edited January 2010 in Directed Promotion
With Christmas out of the way, I finally got around to fixing a few prevailing problems with Nutty Clusters, arguably the prettiest and most customisable Diaspora Cluster Diagram software available. Pick it up from the following link.

Nutty Clusters v1.3

(I know it says v1.2 on the file, this is to stay current with pre-existing web links.)

Fixed Issues:
* Persistent error with odd-numbered knots fixed - JPG export totally fixed.
* Randomisation error in the official 4DF dice method fixed
* Any bitmap can now be substituted for backdrop.bmp, not just 32bit ones
* Version number added to the ‘About’ page

If anyone spots any problems with this release, let me know!

-Ash

Comments

• Is there any changes to the format on the file that stores the random Aspects? (For those of us who've already customized the file...)
  • edited January 2010
    Posted By: bankueiIs there any changes to the format on the file that stores the random Aspects? (For those of us who've already customized the file...)
    Nope, that part of the program seems to work just fine so I left it alone. Similarly if you saved any .cls Cluster files in the past, they should work just fine in the new version and ought now export to JPG properly too, so you won't have to make them again. If you're worried about it though, I'd suggest you keep a backup as I'm not maintaining a legacy database of old editions.

-Ash
  • Hey, cool software. I take it this is intended for generating a cluster only, and not for saving/managing/prettifying existing clusters?
  • Posted By: Paul BHey, cool software. I take it this is intended for generating a cluster only, and not for saving/managing/prettifying existing clusters?
    Well, I don't see why it couldn't be used for those purposes. You can edit the data of a cluster to show more or less anything you like, you can save the cluster and email it to a friend or open it again later to edit the data, and you can produce pretty JPGs of the result if you want to use it in a supplement or your campaign notes. It's a fully-featured cluster design tool that allows you to tweak the results to your heart's content. It just also happens to be capable of generating clusters entirely at random if that's what you're looking for.

Is there a feature you were particularly hoping to find in there?

-Ash
  • If only there were Nutty Mac Clusters . . .
  • Ah! I didn't know you could edit the cluster data. I'll go take another look.
  • Hmm, editing the data might make it possible to use this to generate a set of Shadows for Amber...
  • This thread has given me a hankering for a Baby Ruth like you wouldn't believe.
    What's a Baby Ruth?
  • edited February 2010
    It's a kind of American chocolate bar. I presume it contains nuts, perhaps in clusters, but I've only ever had a couple and I don't remember precisely.

Oh yeah, and by the way, this is an amazing program!
  • Aw, thankyou! :) Incidentally, I got the name from a breakfast cereal.

-Ash
  • Another vote for a Mac version.
  • Believe me, if I could afford a Mac there'd be one. And probably an iPhone version too. Sadly I can't even afford a cheapo little MacBook. I suppose I could do something in Java, but I'm still new to Java and I'm not entirely sure that it could be used to produce a proper executable file. I really don't like the idea of distributing as an applet, though it is possible.

Maybe one day, when I'm feeling bored and don't have any projects to attend to, I'll do a multiformat web-based version. Before I can do that though I have to work out how to get a web-based Java app to access and create non-resource files.

-Ash
  • I've heard rumors that people have gotten this to run under Wine, but I've had no luck yet. If anyone else has managed it on a Mac or Linux, I would love to hear about it.
  • I'll add to this comment by saying that if anyone has experience of programming in Lazarus (a free Linux port of Delphi, the language I use) I'd be happy to provide the source code so that they could make a Linux conversion. They'd also need to download the (free) Linux version of the graphical library I use, AggPas, and some simple graphical commands may need to be altered to fit Linux libraries. Mostly though it ought to be an easy conversion. I'd do it myself, but my computer is very old and I don't have a reset disk. I daren't try and dual-boot it to Linux because if something went wrong I'd have no way of putting it right again.

-Ash
  • Only two clusters later, I'm so very glad this exists!
  • Due to popular request, I'm going to *try* and make a Linux port. This is assuming I can get Lazarus to run on Knoppix. It's the only version of Linux I dare use, since I won't have to install anything and risk messing up my computer. This may not work out well, but I'll give it a go!

-Ash