Here's the deal:
1. I have a Little Idea, detailed below, that I'm casting out here for collective design, a la Giant Imperial Robot Haiku
. Bread upon the waters, and all that.
2. However, unlike GIRH, I will serve as the editor/developer of this thread. This essentially gives me veto power over off-tone, derailing contributions. (My contributions can be vetoed by the joint resolution of three other participants.)
3. A post should focus on either
rules or setting (though the effect of a rule on setting or setting bit expanded into rules are kosher).4. If we get something fun and publishable out of this, I know a guy who's a game publisher. . . EDITED TO ADD: 4. After you've added your post, you cannot add again until at least two others have done so. Try not to contradict something already written.
5. If we get something fun and publishable out of this, I will seriously consider publishing it through ASMP.
Roadsigns & Ley Lines
, Mad Max movies, Tim Powers' Last Call
, Easy Rider
, Street Hawk
, Demolition Alley
, The Dark Tower
, Six-String Samurai
Between the last outposts of Civilization, the great road-ships sail on rubber wheels. They shift the goods and people needed to keep the Last Cities alive. Without the road-ships, humanity will die.
Of course, there are those street pirates and road barbarians who don't care about greater humanity, seeking only supplies for their tribe (at best) or plunder for themselves (at worst). They raid the road-ships, take the crews and passengers for ransom, and loot and pillage the small hamlets along the road-currents.
Only the loyal knights of the King of the Road can protect them. Blessed with the king's magic (or is it technology? does it matter?) and mounted on their Motor Steeds, the Knights guard the merchants, couriers, and pilgrims who journey into the Dusty Waste on the road-sea.
Are you willing to stand against the cutlasses of the Brotherhood of Pirates, the electro-lance of the Black Knight of Blackrock, and the strange magics of the Sorceress of Sixty-Six in defense of Civilization?
(Okay, that's what I've got, other than the following :
1. There should be a limited number of common attributes or pools or stats that all characters should share. I'm fond of Physical, Mental, Social, and Technomagical as the core set.
2. The system should be dead simple
3. I would like there to be either no GM or everyone GMs -- in parallel or in serial, either is fine.)
Have at it.