Bite-Sized AP: March 2010

edited March 2010 in Story Games
I got to do ZERO gaming last month - due to gaming group scheduling/family issues and for-real-historically-bad snow in DC. I am gonna make up for that this month. Hopefully.

I played Fiasco last night with some close friends - two gamers, two not-gamers. I laughed so hard my face hurt. If you have not played this game, hop to it.

Full-blown AP here.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    From the AP, to which you should definitely click through:
    Posted By: Brian Minter
    "[...] The Chicken Hut was closed by a health inspector, my crazy cop wife decided to shoot me ("I'm not gonna shoot him HARD, just in the foot or something"), my secret gay con-man husband was forced to sleep with the church volunteer, was evicted, and came no closer to stealing the deed to the mink farm, and the church volunteer made inappropriate sexual advances and resorted to violence to put down an attempt by her developmentally-disabled unpaid pre-teen employees to unionize. ("I'll just go after the weakest one.")"
    Oh, Fiasco, is there anything you won't do for love?

That is a great writeup. I thought you did an especially good job of concisely illustrating the Setup phase.
  • Continued our Savage Worlds fantasy game tonight I'm the GM). 3 PCs are standing in the catacombs of the Great Library on some kind of Seal that is keeping a great monster called The Beast within. I'd planned on scenes where The Beast leaks through as illusions to tempt each PC into opening the Seal and releasing the Beast.

All three PCs jumped at the chance to open the Seal and fight the Beast, willingly throwing themselves into hammering the stones so they could hack it to bits. I guess I nailed their weak points pretty well.

The PCs survived. The Beast didn't...
    (but it did bite one of the PCs and they just found out it is an avatar of a lost snake god that will soon reincarnate)
  • edited March 2010
    Wednesday night, Burning Wheel: Boston. Last session, Ezekial the converted indian had taken some jugs of alcohol from a suspicious smuggler (actually a French spy) and headed off to his remote cabin.

This session, I started off with the obvious GM move of having the smuggler/spy track Zeke to his shack.

Me: "There's a voice outside. It's the smuggler, the one from outside Boston, he's yelling for you to hand over his property."

Zeke: "How'd he find me?"

Me: "He tracked you. Fresh snow, easy test, he made it."

Zeke: "No he didn't, there weren't any tracks." (Points to his character sheet. First instinct: "Always cover my tracks when going to my cabin.")

I think that's pretty much the textbook example of using Instincts as GM insurance.
  • That's a text book example calling for an opposed test in "zero time" (not sure which of the Indian's skills would test, though, without the book)
    An Instinct never gives automatic success (well, except like "have sword ready" or such things that aren't "testable" in most conditions).
  • edited March 2010
    Actually, we figured out in our last game that we've been using several social skills wrong too. And, though I didn't think of this at the time, I'm not sure what skill we would have checked for that, so even if I had thought to ask for a test it might have just bogged down a scene that everyone otherwise enjoyed. The amazing thing about BW is so much of the magic is in the simple stuff that screwing things up doesn't kill it.

So yeah, it probably should have been a test. But it wasn't, the smuggler didn't make it to the cabin... until Sam wandered into him in the woods (as part of a failed roll) and ended up leading him back.

We may not play Burning Wheel right, but we play it well.
  • Posted By: sageThe amazing thing about BW is so much of the magic is in the simple stuff that screwing things up doesn't kill it.
    That's a fascinating point! Thinking back on my BW experience, it makes a lot of sense to me.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, we were rolling Will vs. Persuasion (or Oratory, etc.) instead of just using Will as the Ob. Not a big huge deal, and it's fixed now.

Sage handled the Instinct just fine. It could have been a zero-time test, but it worked to say yes to the Instinct instead. Both Ezekiel and Samuel were about to go into the woods to do things, so the tests around being spotted or followed by the spy happened then.
  • edited March 2010
    Apocalypse World: We're hired to defend an anemic hardhold from slavers and subhuman cannibals. We fight off a huge attack but they get away with one of the farmers, which we decide is an unacceptable loss - mostly because these people are ponces and are bleeding manpower and we need to set an example of how things are done. So the hired badasses gear up to go after the giant gang of lunatics and take back our man, which is vaguely suicidal. At the last minute the leader of the compound jumps in my truck and I go aggro on her.

"No, you stay. These people need you."

The implication was left hanging, but it felt very heroic and Road Warrior.

The other cool thing about this session was that our characters are all NPCs from our weekly game, and we were filling in the backstory of Otto Bahn, Gianni and Midget. I have much more respect for them now.
  • Unspeakable.

We're playing flappers in 1920's Chicago, so not exactly equipped to deal with the madness and horror that we find ourselves embroiled in. We're being chased by a dead woman - no matter where we go or how we get there she's always one step behind us. And EVERYWHERE WE GO, the people we run into start telling us "she came last night". Finally we hop a train to New York, trying to escape the gruesome fate that awaits us. Time passes, when we wake up the train is stopped and someone is rattling the handle of the door to our car.

The GM says "if you want to see who it is, you'll have to pull up the shade."

I pull up the shade. The conductor is standing there just rattling the handle. Rattle rattle. Rattle rattle. Rattle rattle. Then the GM mouths "she came last night", and we all almost jumped out of our chairs.

I love Unspeakable. It always freaks me out.
  • {Unspeakable]

Oh. My. God.

Well played.
  • Played a one shot of Lacuna. The Mystery Agents ran into a Virus, something that infected and controlled dreamers in Blue City and threw them at the agents until they used all their Lacuna devices, then told them to leave Blue City because they were a bunch of murderers.
  • Made up a cluster and characters for Diaspora, which is sorta like playing. Making up clusters is fun. My guy is an intelligence operative from a claustrophobic hive world. His apex "5" skill is Bureaucracy. I toyed with making it military grade but figured that was gilding the lily.
  • edited March 2010
    Apocalypse World in the Empire of Dust.

My brainer, Cyndel, is the pet of Sonya Cross (a major NPC badass). I live to serve her will. Finally, after long years of suffering under her hand, we share a moment of grace. Our eyes meet, and we know in that moment that we have both have seen beyond the psychic maelstrom to what lies beyond -- we know what must be done to save our world. For a fleeting second, we are not master and slave.

I make my move to seduce her. I roll a 14! I have the expanded move, which does this:

-----
    On a 12+, only if they’re an NPC, they do what you want, and furthermore you change their nature. Choose one of the following; tell the GM to erase their threat type altogether and write it in instead.
    - ally: friend (move: back you up)
    - ally: lover (move: give you shelter & comfort) [this is the one I chose]
    - ally: right hand (move: follow through on your intentions)
    - ally: representative (move: pursue your interests in your absence)
    - ally: guardian (move: intercept danger)
    - ally: confidante (move: give you advice, perspective, or absolution.)

This is serious business and don’t risk the players’ trust by fucking around with it. Take that NPC out of whatever front she’s in, list her in a whole new place, home instead of the home front.

Furthermore, stop looking at this NPC through crosshairs. She has been set apart, safe from death, to a higher purpose. By now the players are bone weary from knowing that every single NPC is, at her heart, only a potential threat to them. Now, this one person, they can breathe.

-----

It was truly wonderful. "Now, this one person, they can breathe." You have no idea.
  • Playtesting a Fiasco playset that is set in a suburban shopping mall and is supposed to have a "Bad Santa" vibe. Instead we got:

A Satanic cult bent on sacrificing the hot girl at Baldwin Jewelers on the vernal equinox, a registered sex offender and the clerk at Arapaho Leather Emporium who put him in prison, and the hapless "hero" in the middle of it, who also happened to be a member of the cult and a would-be pedophile. The entire second act played out like House of the Devil. It was the darkest I've ever seen the game go - we kept shaking our heads in amazement. The playset may get some ... fine tuning.
  • edited March 2010
    In Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, Gentleman Geoff discovered that the evil dwarf Helmut was actually his father and Meg managed to "feel the dwarf Meg" in her when chucking her cigar down the chimney pot to blow up der Todesstern.

(Previoiusly posted in the wrong place).
  • Mouse Guard

In 2.5 hours Eppy, Matt Wilson and I played…

jail breaks, writing poetry, crashing through windows, cooking, bribes, intimidation, jumping off ledges like batman to ambush guards, saving parents, arguments between old and new mentors, building a base of operations, splashing ink in people’s faces, beating up bullies, recruiting, conspiracy theories, slavery, waiting tables, being ninjas, war stories, and calming anger by going door to door giving weeping families hope.

Fun!
  • I had so much fun playing Mouse Guard last night. 17 YO tenderpaw facing down a veteran of the weasel wars, calling him the murderer that he was, and then omg getting the fuck out of there via window.
  • BW: Boston. In the same session:

Ezekial, the praying indian, makes a series of horrible rolls and ends up loosing the last vestiges of his faith, burning his bible, and deciding that God isn't listening.

Joanna, the blind street girl, makes an amazing faith roll and pulls some serious loaves and fishes action in her poor house, feeding everyone with leftovers to spare, all due to a miracle sent by God.

I can't wait for next session, when these two characters likely come face to face.
  • Posted By: jenskotMouse Guard

In 2.5 hours Eppy, Matt Wilson and I played…

jail breaks, writing poetry, crashing through windows, cooking, bribes, intimidation, jumping off ledges like batman to ambush guards, saving parents, arguments between old and new mentors, building a base of operations, splashing ink in people’s faces, beating up bullies, recruiting, conspiracy theories, slavery, waiting tables, being ninjas, war stories, and calming anger by going door to door giving weeping families hope.

Fun!
    Best Format For Bite-Sized AP evar.
  • edited March 2010
    Played my first game of FIASCO, using the LAST FRONTIER playset. Lord, how it rocked.

Things did not go well for Aknut O'Malley, the fifteen-year old, pregnant, half-Inuit pole-vaulter - she ended up in a group home. Dexter Higgs, the coach of her track team and former meth addict, hardly fared better - after almost being killed by the father of Aknut's child, whom he was trying to blackmail, he lost his job and his wife when a bunch of listless teenagers found his carelessly abandoned bag of homemade pipe bombs and blew up the local breakfast diner (Four Mooses and a Duck was, as I recall, the name of the unhapppy establishment). Dex ended up employed as the alcoholic gravedigger of a cemetery on the Kaku Inlet. Hans Ulrich, Dexter's AA sponsor and pusher (not as paradoxical as it sounds - he was getting Dexter to kick his Meth habit with the help of 'shrooms) had a pretty good endgame, hooking up with Dex's abandoned spouse and cashing in the stock certificates he dug out of Aknut's father's grave for a small fortune.

Is this a well-designed game? I honestly have no idea - I really couldn't tell you what all of Jason's fiddly dice rules are supposed to add up to, at the end of the day. Is it an awesome game? Oh yes indeed. My two playing companions were new to this type of amusement, and they were both totally into it in five minutes flat, and practically ruptured themselves laughing.
  • GMless Perfect, the fourth session of our playtest.

Chastity Ashford gets away scot-free in the crime of smuggling chemicals & powders into Cadence and of impersonating someone of a higher class. Chastity and her cadre of secret society members ("The Voice of Abigail") conspire to do something big with their barrels of contraband.

Orville Patton, ever the righteous judge of society, burns down a mansion where a drunken and lecherous party is taking place. The owner of the mansion finds him out, but fails to produce any evidence that would lead to capture by an Inspector. His forbidden love with a fellow member of the Alliance of Purity grows, their white fists clenched together.

Johnathan Ayers walks up to Inspector 49, calmly makes small talk with him, then shoots him in the head. In broad daylight. He gets caught. Oh does he get caught. He gets beaten, beaten, beaten, shot, beaten some more, and left for dead. He emerges unable to perform any physical violence whatsoever. His sometime compatriot, Eve, has mercy and lays him down in his apartment, only to see the huge painting in his living-room of all the crimes he has committed and intends to commit.
  • Posted By: hans ottersonJohnathan Ayers walks up to Inspector 49, calmly makes small talk with him, thenshoots him in the head. In broad daylight. He gets caught. Oh does he get caught. He gets beaten, beaten, beaten, shot, beaten some more, and left for dead. He emerges unable to perform any physical violence whatsoever. His sometime compatriot, Eve, has mercy and lays him down in his apartment, only to see the huge painting in his living-room of all the crimes he has committed and intends to commit.
    Absolutely brilliant.
    The fact that he makes small talk beforehand is the ultimate clincher, the reason this makes my heart so joyful to hear.
    Yay!
  • Posted By: joepubPosted By: hans ottersonJohnathan Ayers walks up to Inspector 49, calmly makes small talk with him, thenshoots him in the head. In broad daylight. He gets caught. Oh does he get caught. He gets beaten, beaten, beaten, shot, beaten some more, and left for dead. He emerges unable to perform any physical violence whatsoever. His sometime compatriot, Eve, has mercy and lays him down in his apartment, only to see the huge painting in his living-room of all the crimes he has committed and intends to commit.
    Absolutely brilliant.
    The fact that he makes small talk beforehand is the ultimate clincher, the reason this makes my heart so joyful to hear.
    Yay!

Yeah, it was pretty awesome. Johnathan has some history with that particular Inspector. It was the first crime scene that got played out tonight, and I was all, "oh shit!". The player who's playing Johnathan is doing some really cool stuff with Perfect, bringing us back to a similar place with every Denoument scene that is clearly leading somewhere, but where to we don't know.
  • So, I support a guy with some pretty intense mental health issues.
    He really likes roleplaying in a very freeform manner, mostly set in the Star Trek universe.
    He's really brilliant as a storyteller, though has a tendency to "script" everything and demand that I play my role "correctly".
    Anyways, our highlight for this month...

We're playing Star Trek, and then suddenly he jumps to... Alice and Wonderland.
    And we start playing out a scene where Alice chases the White Rabbit into the rabbit hole, and emerges into Wonderland.
    And then he takes over playing Alice, and as she's exploring Wonderland she keeps asking the characters she finds if they have a "talker".
    I'm really confused, but he doesn't explain what he means... instead, he just keeps playing it, straight-faced.
    And so I get one of the Wonderland characters to ask Alice what she means by a talker, and she says "I don't know really, I just use it to talk to the voices when I need help."

And then he (the guy I'm playing with) jumps back to the Star Trek universe.
    He's playing Picard.
    Someone on the USS Rabbit is sending a distress signal! It's Alice!
    We beam over, and are told that Alice should be in the holodeck.
    We enter the holodeck, but no sign of Alice.
    We yell, but there's no response.

Then he jumps back to the Wonderland thread, and we're Alice and the Mad Hatter again.
    And Alice hears these voices in the sky, and asked the Mad Hatter what's going on.
    And I'm about to respond, when he (the guy I'm working with) interrupts me to say "No, you don't respond, because you go all static-y."

And it's at that moment when I piece it together.
    Alice encountered a glitch in the holodeck program, a virus that converted the scene into Wonderland and trapped her there.
    Captain Picard has come to save her, but he's on the other side of the glitch.
    WTF. *head explodes*
  • DUUUUUUUUDE.
  • I ran Diaspora last night. I am out of practice with my GMing, so it was a bit choppy, but we did have a cool winter ball party scene with multiple goals in social conflict. More fun, though, was the next day, when the characters went to extract a friend who owed a local crime lord and had been made to fight in the gambling pits until his debt was paid off. They walked in on him fighting a bear.

"Space" became our universal adjective to say "this is anachronistic, but way more cool, because it's in the future." People drank space beers, smoked space cigars, and fought space bears.
  • Playtested Jason Morningstar's cool new Trail of Cthulhu module "The Black Drop" last night. Until it's released I'm sorta sworn to secrecy about the contents, I think. But I will say that I am still somewhat chilled from having to do some of those...*shudder*...things to characters being played by my friends. There was blood, people...oh, yes...
  • Got in three games of Fiasco at MidSouthCon in Memphis last weekend.

Game 1: A Gypsy and her lover embezzle money from his violent father's chain chicken establishment. Highlights included a swamp chase, multiple beatings with an extension cord, a car being stolen four times, and a stepchild committing an unwholesome act against a stepparent. My character, the Gypsy, went to women's prison for the rest of her natural life.

Game 2: A CPA and his computer hacker underling scheme to use a computer program to creatively account for missing money, and get found out by a his long lost cousin / bounty hunter and an ex-con living in a van down by the river. After two separate attempts to get the ex-con to kill various people, a corporate barbecue results in a string of accidents and attempted murders, including the CPA's daughter throwing a chemistry set into a fire, and the ex-con accidentally blowing up the bounty hunter's car with him in it. My character, the CPA, ends up in a long court battle over the negligent death of his daughter.

Game 3: A heroin dealer and his one night stand reunite when the guy they accidentally killed 6 months ago almost gets discovered in a raid on a seedy duplex. A pimp, a rich-kid raver, and the raver's real estate mogul uncle all try and pin a totally unrelated accidental death and a heroin ring on just about everybody, resulting in the most epic office chair chase sequence ever seen. My raver character ended up with the most positive ending of any of my characters over the weekend, merely being abandoned without a passport in Argentina.

As a side note, just to point out how awesome and reusable the Fiasco playsets are, all three of the groups used Tales from Suburbia as their playset. AMAZING!
  • Apocalypse World. Last weekend we played a one-shot that illuminated the backstory of three NPCs. This week I ditched my weak-sister character and played one of the NPCs and it was great. The extremely evil slavers who showed up in the one shot returned, and I felt a visceral wave of dread as they approached. My Gunlugger, Midgett, knew precisely how bad these guys were, and we had a few gloriously intense moments of argument between those of us who knew and those of us who wanted to carry on with the pissant job we were on.

There was fire and death and when it was all over a dozen slavers surrendered. Midgett opened the cages and let the now-free slaves take care of them.
  • Burning Wheel, character generation. We got:

An orc hunter trying to open trade negotiations in the frozen north with a human settlement.

A human noble/officer with a platoon on the wrong side of a civil war, now a wandering justiciar with accidental authority by virtue of his affiliation with the "right" side. That lost.

Oh yeah the setting has dwarves but only two kinds -- the isolated DESERT DWARVES who sit in their monuments and pine for the old days when they were great and the WHALING DWARVES in the north who ply the seas for monsters to render for oil.
  • Posted By: HalfjackWHALING DWARVES
    Wait, your setting has whaling dwarves and nobody is playing one?
  • Apocalypse World - my brainer has an intense moment during the murder of a foe he's been afraid of since day one where the whole of the psychic maelstrom is peeled back by this guy's screaming ghost and I threaten to cram him into a hole torn by the psychic assault of another very scary individual. The whole thing was a mess of Puppet Strings and blood.

Also, Kim, resident do-gooder and Angel pulls an awesome surprise attack on the Mexican Badass we've had escorting us to protect a fairly helpless prisoner and ends up looking like the most capable in-control character in the scene, hands-down. It was pretty great.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarWait, your setting haswhaling dwarvesand nobody is playing one?
    I admit I was a little shocked myself, but on the upside it means I get to play whaling dwarves, so it's all good.
  • edited March 2010
    "Now he's my real brother"

Good times playing Shock with brand-new story gamers
  • Apocalypse World.

Pity Marsh (the brainer) gets an improvement just about the time when the massive zombie horde (known as the Scourge) is bearing down on the hardhold, which is in a parking ramp in the ruins of a city. Pity already has the staff of the mad prophet from the wastes. So she spends her improvement on the "frenzy" move from the hocus playbook--you know, the one that lets you direct a mob--and she walks out toward the oncoming horde, shaking the "magic staff".

Move: use frenzy on the oncoming zombies.

I tell Crystal, "You know that you'll die if you fail this roll."

She gulps.

"You still want to do it?"

She nods.

She rolls.

Success!

And so, the zombies pile to a halt and bow before Pity Marsh as she walks among them.

And then she points to the east, where the enemies of the hold lie. A zombie snarls. Then they stampede away.

The hold is silent as Pity Marsh walks back inside.

An already creepy character got jacked up straight to really scary. It was a great moment.

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Played Owl Hoot Trail over the weekend with some folks on this board. I genuinely had a lot of fun. I think it retaught me some stuff I knew already: Classes, HP, simple rules all combat-y focused, plus the fruitful void of no specific rules for roleplaying, plus the fun, anachronistic-fusion make-it-up-as-you-go setting really led to some cool roleplaying moments.

I played a black lawman named "Cold Iron Slade", bringing a fugitive to justice along with a ruffian ("White Eye" in Spanish) and a feral scoundrel/"Padre". There was some combat, but what I dug the most were the moments we knew what was what, we generally knew how a scene was going to end, and we basically hammed it up in character every step of the way.

It made me fall in love with the whole old school/Red Box Hack scene again, with a few ideas for my own system/setting, once I'm done with some other projects.

I love acting and playing with others in character, and rules that stay out of the way of that are really appealing to me these days (vs what I've been experimenting on my own, the kind of "If your Waffle score exceeds your Burbank by 2 or more points, in the next scene your character has to buy a hat" games).

-Andy
  • Basic D&D. Six adventurers, on the way to a creepy wizard's shack to buy a map from him. The cloying scent of roses piques our curiosity. The fighter investigates. Save vs. poison! Carnivorous rose bushes eat his pony! The thief jumps in and fails - he is mesmerized! One of the magic users stumbles in, helpless. The other magic user blasts the plants with his arcane magic missile - 2 points of damage! Soon, only two adventurers remain able to fight the battle. It is a near thing, but in the end we defeat the rose bushes.

Later we are p0wned by an evil unicorn.
  • Posted By: HalfjackWHALING DWARVES in the north who ply the seas for monsters to render for oil.
    WOW the juxtaposition of images! I want to play a campaign based on this!
  • Same basic D&D game as Mr. Morningstar above. My muscular, scarred magic-user has been tormented by a demon in his past. He has found a fireball scroll.

A frickin' alicorn comes out of nowhere, all black mane and sword-horn and evil. Kills two friends in a round. I back out of range and read that scroll, my dwarven friend still in the fireball kill zone, but I got no choice - the horse-demon that has tormented me is standing there. Read the scroll, burn the air - alicorn down! A triumphant moment for a 1st-level magic-user, to be sure.

I fully expect to anti-climatically die from a goblin's blowgun next week.
  • Great moments in Mouse Guard: "We have forks."
  • edited March 2010
    I ran a 3-man Fiasco game at Stillcon. The guys who joined in were very enthusiastic about the Wild West Boomtown setting, which I'd never played before. One of them was a theatre student and the other was a technical writer - both were Pathfinder fiends with lots of RPG experience but none whatsoever on the indie scene.

Bu the end of the whole vast clusterfuck, my character Big John "Toothless" Bustamente, the Sherriff of Greasy Gulch, had been exposed as an escaped convict, fallen off his horse, and stumbled ass-first into a campfire. His former partner Jesse managed to escape town with 50% of the swag from their former crimes, but got thrown in jail by a crooked judge when he tried to buy a cattle ranch in unfriendly territory. Xi Bai Wang, Jesse's mail-order bride (aside: the cheesy name was not my choice, and drew some censorious looks from the Pathfinder wonks over at the next table - oh well) had been abducted by a tribe of Indians, subsequently ostracized by their womenfolk, and ended up deciding to live out the rest of her disappointing life as a hermit in a burned out log cabin in the desert.

By the end of the session we were all in hysterics, and they were clamouring for more info about the game. The Indie meme is spreadable, people - be of good cheer!
  • edited March 2010
    Fuck Youth, from Norwegian Style, played at Gamestorm Vancouver (portland) 2010.

after my less-than-perfect Burning Empires game, this thing was the perfect game to pick me up. It was so easy; I felt like it gave me just enough to run with and I was hitting on all cylinders just by leaning in to the game a bit. I think it helped that we abandoned our table and instead sat on the floor.

Characters:

-Rich, "the self-righteousness of youth"
    --David, "the openness of youth" (it wasn't really openness but I can't remember what it was, something about lack of boundaries or something)
    --Jeremy, "the angst of youth"

Rich and Jeremy bring back to the hangout place (an abandoned shed full of rusty tools) a chinese dragon head from a defunct chinese restaurant, while David paints his "arty" shit. Later on, David ingests way too many shrooms and hallucinates the dragon telling him he's the "son of kings". Rich and Jeremy come back to the shack to find David painting what the dragon's telling him to paint, naked.
  • edited March 2010
    Danger Patrol at Gamestorm 12.

John Harper is the time-hopping ghost warrior Franklin, a dead Founding Father retained in perpetual service to Earth by secret mystic clauses in the U.S. Constitution.

Facing off against a rampaging Crimson Republic BattleFortress, Frankin needs to get unorthodox. He tries to retrieve a copy of the long-lost Constitution from the Earth year 1776AD, intending to overwrite the data banks of the Crimson Republic craft with it. Unfortunately, Grand Commander Zhukov orders the flow reversed, and instead it is the U.S. Constitution of 1776 that is overwritten!

Threat and scenery cards on the table start flipping over as timeline-β goes Chrono Orthodox. The Crimson BattleFortress GlitterDragon becomes the Flagship of Free Humankind. The Martian Solar Regatta Racer becomes the Terran Control Establishment Autonomous Hunter-Killer Π-7ΓX4025. The Solar Duchess diplomatic liner becomes the Prison Ship Agony Parade. The Stygian Tetrapode Regatta Sailor flips over twice, and does not change.

During the between-act bumpers, we see that the serial is now called TERROR PATROL and that Earth has now reappeared. None of the other planets are in their orbits. Most have been relocated into Terran orbit, where they serve as new moons.

Later, Jackson Tegu, playing the atomic daredevil Wagner-Wagner, discovers he has a cool kickass fighter pilot daughter in this new timeline. So Wagner-Wagner uses a neuralator to erase all memories of timeline-α from his mind, making its recovery impossible. When he wakes up, it's his birthday.
  • edited March 2010
    Apocalypse World

Frankie (the driver) and Alan (the savvyhead) get a notice from their off-and-on boss Wisher to find some certain computer parts for an unknown project. They decide to hit up the local mall to see what can be found at the (probably ransacked) Radioshack. As they wander through the mall, they hear a crash, and duck for cover in an old jewelery shop. While Frankie checks it out up ahead, Alan heads to the back to see what he can find. He comes across an old safe, and gets to work trying to jury-rig it. Frankie sees a mid-level lackey of Wisher, Pellet, beating the shit out of another of Wisher's lackeys. A female voice comes from the floor below, "Has he said anything yet?" Pellet says no, and proceeds to chop the guys head off with his machete. Frankie goes back to check on Alan, but he can't get it to work right without something. (8 on Rolling Under Fire).

They decide to approach Pellet, as he's standing right in front of the Radioshack. Pellet does not look pleased, but he lets them by, as they tell him they work for Wisher too. Once inside the Radioshack, they find some shit, but nothing super great. As they prepare to leave, they hear a crunch and a low voice right outside the shop. Frankie reads the situation (4) but doesn't notice anything wrong, just thinks it's Pellet outside. As he moves, a grenade flies through the glassless storefront. They both dive for cover behind the POS desk. Halfway there, it goes off, and they hit the floor. Pellet and the girl come around the corner, the girl spraying bullets. Alan yells, "Hey! We're on your side! We can work this out peacefully!" but fails to seize control of the situation (6), and leaves his legs exposes, which get hit by her bullets. Frankie leaps to his feat, going aggro on Pellet (10), and deals him 3-harm with his shotgun. Pellet drops to the floor, dead. The girl aims and fires again, aiming for Alan, who is still exposed.

Alan, though, goes aggro on her, with his .38 revolver, and hits her right in her shoulder (9, sucking it up). They leap over the counter, check Pellet and the chick, who's in mild shock, grab their gear and her gun, and walk out of the store just in time to see a third dude they'd not noticed running down the hall the same way they'd come. To be safe, they take a detour back to their car, to find that the windshield had been cracked and and to see that guy driving away down the road on his chopper, in the direction of Whispers lair. They hop in the car, and drive back to Alan's workshop, now in some deep shit.

Noah
  • In the third session of our Apocalypse World playtest, Cullen the savvyhead instructs Jeanette the NPC angel in how to save Cullen's gangrene-filled arm. Since this is AW, they used bubble gum (from an old pack of baseball cards) and gears (from a rusty ten-speed bike) to make a cyborg arm.

Also, Barbarossa the loner gunslugger jumped into NPC Tao's trailer and killed him with a machete. And on a related note, Barbarossa is grudgingly realizing that his ass-kicking is making others in Skull Town want him to be their leader.

Three sessions in, Skull Town and its inhabitants (and their troubles) are really starting to take shape and become interesting.
  • Playing Owl Hoot Trail tonight, there's some cursed gold up in the creek which has driven poor Pete Sullivan a bit mad. Gunslinger Dwight has a solution, "To save his eternal soul, I could shoot him'.

The was also mention of the Minnesota Goat Strangler, but you had to be there.

A proper playtest report is forthcoming.
  • Dogs in the Vineyard at Gamestorm, Vancouver Wa:

Sister Eleanor is one of God’s Watchdogs, virginal nineteen-year-olds sent out with a bible and a gun to solve the problems of religious frontier towns. They arrive in town during a funeral. Brother Charles’ daughter has been murdered, and he’s frantic to have the Dogs marry her to her husband posthumously–the Town Steward refused to bless them, then disappeared–so she won’t have died a harlot. Eleanor yearns to ease the stricken man’s grief, but when she meets prospective husband Brother Ephraim, a pompous elder who doesn’t give a shit, she wavers. The father is aghast and tells them all to just go.

Sis. Eleanor follows him to the graveyard, and helps him dig the grave in silence, then finally asks him to please talk to her so she can bring the killer to justice. Charles asks, “will that make it right?” Eleanor can only answer, “I don’t know. but I can’t let it go.” Bro. Charles tries to storm off, but Eleanor bars his way and insists, and he gives in, telling her what he knows. She leaves, but with a feeling growing in her gut–”I don’t know if I can make it right.”

The rot in the town soon outs itself–Brother Ephraim had the Steward killed to control the town himself, and had the girl killed when she challenged it. There’s a showdown, bullets fly, and Bro. Ephraim is subdued, dying. Sis. Eleanor goes to Bro. Charles and offers forgiveness to his son, who was Ephraim’s pawn. She puts her hand on Charles’ shoulder and the father breaks down weeping. Eleanor stands over him and she too sobs and sobs.
  • edited April 2010
    What's basic D&D without a total party kill, right? Last night we lost seven second-level adventurers to a trio of giant black widow spiders. My brother showed up late, made up a character,and was killed in the first round of combat before his initiative even came up.

EDIT: This occurred last night, in March.
  • One more from March:

Apocalypse World from Gamestorm:

Half a century after the bombs fell, a motley band of “water collectors” roams the ash wastes making their REAL living through thievery. Operator Proust is the man with the plan, Savvyhead Jessica is a beautiful and compassionate mechanic, Angel Gabe is a medic who wishes they really WOULD dig a well once or twice, and Brainer Cybelle is a transsexual lover of humanity, in every sense (who’s fond of Jessica). As their rig stalls out in the middle of nowhere, low on “go juice,” they’re attacked by the men of Esco, a local enclave leader they’ve robbed, wanting back not so much their loot, but Jessica with whom Esco is smitten. There’s gunplay and Jessica is shot and in a bad way. Next thing we know, the band is captured, the Operator and Brainer laboring in the Slave Pits, while the Angel is chained in the infirmary, tending to Jessica.

Gabe heals Jessica, but the first face she sees on waking is Esco’s, and she realizes he’s a good man and she cares for him. About then Proust makes his play–threatening to blow the whole place with an artillery shell dug up in the Slave Pits, unless Esco lets them all go. Esco says fine but the girl stays, and that’s when Cybelle makes HER play–using her Brainer gifts, she brushes Esco’s shoulder and murmurs, “show us the girl. I’ll stay with you until they’re safely away.”

Esco is totally swayed–he suddenly has eyes only for Cybelle, and orders his men to release everyone. As Gabe is ushering Jessica out, her eyes lock with Esco’s and she sees total indifference, and it shakes her. Cybelle is led off and lets Esco have his way with her, which for a Brainer lays his mind bare: she feels all his burden and regrets, and sees that his heart is broken over losing Jessica, twice. She further sees that if this breaks him, his community will not survive. While Esco sleeps, Cybelle is overwhelmed in the Psychic maelstrom.

Enter Jessica. She comes bearing a bowl of water, a symbol of healing and reconciliation. She holds it out before her, in the center of the triangle of lost souls. As Esco awakes and Cybelle comes to herself, understanding and forgiveness pass between them.
  • Posted By: Ben RobbinsGreat moments in Mouse Guard:"We have forks."
    I just saw this, and it made me laugh out loud.