Inspired by the thread on giant detailed settings
, I pulled out a copy of what we can all agree is the greatest giant detailed setting of all time, the D&D 2nd edition Planescape
The group I usually play with is a little fractured at the moment due to various life changes (babies, houses, etc), so I decided to work on a cool one-shot kind of thing, instead of a 50-session campaign game.
I was thinking I'd just lift the rules from Lady Blackbird, since a) it uses Keys from TSoY/Solar System, which I think is a *fabulous* game mechanic for the planar factions, and b) it is super fun to play.
I have 4-5 characters set up, all with their relationships pointed at each other, Key-wise, but the "Okay, go!" set-up of Lady Blackbird is a big part of what makes it so fun, and I can't think of how to do that for this game. Characters:Inciril
- tiefling thief/assassin, being chased by demons, wizards and Mercykillers, half-sister to Rowan (Bleaker)Rowan
- elementalist, half-sister to Inciril, feels compelled to get her sister out of her predicament (Cipher)Closewood
- bariaur ranger/fighter-type, Rowan's protector and companion (Godsmen)Mordecai
- ruthless, greedy dwarven planewalker, unwilling/coerced agent of a Lawful Good god (Defier)Hakeem
- itinerant storyteller, Sigil native, hired guide (Indep
EDIT: Faction in parentheses
Okay, so ... what situation do these five characters find themselves in?
- What does Inciril have that makes all kinds of bad guys chase her? Is it an item? A map? The location of something? A portal key? Is she a portal key herself?
- Whatever Inciril has that people want, Mordecai has to want it to. But he has to be kept from simply seizing it. Why does he work with her? And what does his Lawful Good patron god (Bahamut, maybe) want him to do?
- How do I tie Hakeem into the relationship web aside from "these sisters hired me"? Or is it better to have a character on the fringe to accomodate less players?
- Where do they start?
- Where are they going?
- Who is chasing them and why?
Help me, old-school Planescape fans! You're my only hope.