[FATE] Is there room for yet another FATE fantasy game?

edited March 2010 in Story Games
I'm in a bit of a quandry. I recently picked up exclusive print rights to an excellent piece of fantasy art, more or less on a whim since the artist was having a sale, and I'd like to put a book to it. The cover image would suit a typical Fantasy War Epic in the vein of Lord of the Rings. I don't want to spend too much time writing this one because I can't really afford any interior art to go with it. To this end I was thinking about adapting the popular FATE system. However I'm a little concerned that FATE has been used a lot of late, and there may be more fantasy variants of it than I'm aware of. I believe 'Houses of the Blooded' uses FATE to an extent, but there are likely many more.

So, would people be interested in yet another FATE-based game? Can anyone name other fantasy FATE games?

-Ash

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Legends of Anglerre, Strands of Fate, Fate 2.0, Fate 3.0 (upcoming, might be a while still) just off the top of my head, with the last 3 being generic.

If you can't deliver before Legends of Anglerre, I think it might be hard to get attention, as this will probably get quite a bit, at least among folks interested in FATE.

On the other hand there might be room for fantasy specific fate, IF you do something original with it. The one thing lacking from FATE based fantasy at the moment is a game you can play without first having to tweak it. On the other hand, FATE is the system most suited to tweaking rules to the preferences of your own group.

Edit: Oh, and the Dresden Files will likely do alot of things that will quickly be used for fantasy campaigns.
  • Houses of the Blooded is a cousin of FATE, not really FATE itself. Its dice rolling mechanic is different, and it's fantasy setting is quite unique.

I don't know much about Strands of Fate and a fair amount gleaned from Legends of Anglerre from preview and owning Starblazer Adventures. Legends seems somewhat crunchy, but handles warfare between entire countries as well as the tactical fantasy combat we all know from hundreds of other games.

If you can bring something new or twisted from the tropes and cliches, yeah, publish it.
  • FATE is a good system. If you write a good game for it, that is a good thing. It can never be a bad thing, not ever. Even if you do nothing new, a good thing is a good thing.

Now, is it a good business idea? I do not know and care nothing for such mundane trivialities.
  • Highmoon Media is pondering doing a Celtic Fantasy FATE game. (I'd link, but I'm getting security warnings (drive-by download) about the site.) Ans while you're listing generic FATE games, there's Willow's Awesome Adventures, which has a short chapter on using it for fantasy.
  • If it makes your life easier, then absolutely use Fate. There's plenty of potential room for play within the Fantasy sphere still, specially compared to Sci-Fi.

If, instead, it's easier to just steal the bits you like from Fate and do your own thing? Also totally awesome.

-Rob D.
  • If it's a good game, I wouldn't give a damn that it's one FATE game among many. If anything, I'd be more likely to pass it up for being Yet Another Fantasy RPG.
  • The Flowers of Evil (currently in development) is based on a flavor of FATE. It's kind of tongue-in-cheek gothic fantasy, best described as "Lord Byron, Vampire Hunter" meets "Dangerous Liasons."
  • edited April 2010
    I like the idea of a number of FATE games for any genre, really. The best part is they are all compatible and you might have sales of your game to people who might use it to inform their "FateGameX" game.

Also...

Posted By: Brennen ReeceIt's kind of tongue-in-cheek gothic fantasy, best described as "Lord Byron, Vampire Hunter" meets "Dangerous Liasons."
    This is a very lucrative sentence from an elevator-pitch standpoint. I would Green Light this in a moment.
  • Hey, go for it. I mean, diaspora really intrigues me but Starblazer Adventures is completely uninteresting to me. SotC doesn't really leap out at me either. Dresden Files I'm curious to see, but I don't like Jim Butcher's writing style, so it's not like I'll catch up on the setting by reading the books. I think it would be quite a while before FATE reaches d20 level saturation, and if you're just pulling off generic fantasy, it might work out quite well (rather than something specific that some people might not like).
  • Incidentally, can someone link Strands of Fate? It's poorly suited to finding on internet searches.
  • Strands of FATE may be found here:

http://voidstar.squarespace.com/
  • Ah, thanks. So it's not out yet. Still, I like what I see.
  • edited April 2010

On the one hand, we had a FATE-based fantasy game at PAX East that didn't really want to move. On the other hand, the designer wasn't there to sell it.

And that's the thing: if you don't have the desire to design it, do you have the desire to sell it? How are you going to retain that energy? Or are you planning on putting a cover together, writing some color text, and hoping it sells itself*?

* "Sell" can mean whatever you want it to mean. Ultimately, it means "get people to care about it in the way you want them to".

• Posted By: mtsr

On the other hand there might be room for fantasy specific fate, IF you do something original with it. The one thing lacking from FATE based fantasy at the moment is a game you can play without first having to tweak it.
    Emphasis added. If you are just doing generic Fantasy toolkit, you need to have some sort of killer app for anyone to pay attention to it. A really clever magic system, or maybe a group setting generation like in Diaspora. Otherwise...well frankly there's nothing new here.

ALTERNATELY: If this is not so much about generic fantasy and is about Your Cool Setting, then there are two basic questions. 1) What is awesome about your setting that would make me want to read and/or run it? 2) What is it about your setting that an existing game/system is unable to do? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you go to any design round-tables, these are the first questions asked. You need to answer these questions before starting your own design (even if it is just building on something existing like FATE).