Looking for Cold War superhero comics

edited June 2010 in Game Design Help
I've got an idea I've been toying around with for a bit, and it's starting to break loose in my mind. Now I need some more reference materials. I'm looking for comics and graphic novels (or other media) involving superheros in the cold war or similar situations used as weapons. Something like Superman: Red Son, maybe elements of Watchmen. I think Aberrant and Brave New World both may have touched on this at times as well. I'm pretty sure that there's more, any other suggestions?

Comments

• Captain America was created to fight in the war.
  • Uh... the Tick vs. the Red Scare?

The problem with superheroes and the Cold War is that the Cold War is based on the threat of mutual annihilation. Superheroes screw that up, either by being able to prevent nuclear weapons from harming targets, or by replacing the balance with a balance between superheroes instead of nukes. The problem with the latter is that superhero balance doesn't work like MAD does. For one thing, nuclear weapons don't have agendas of their own. For another, when you reach defcon-1 and the heroes all fight, chances are there is a lot of collateral damage, but you don't kill billions of people.
  • edited June 2010
    Posted By: Wordmanor by replacing the balance with a balance between superheroes instead of nukes.
    This.
    For one thing, nuclear weapons don't have agendas of their own.
    And very much this.
  • 'The Liberty Files' is a DC graphic novel reimagining some of their superheroes as intelligence operatives in WWII and after. Maybe not quite what you're looking for - though there's a bit with Jonn Jonzz that migh fit - but it is quite good and interesting anyway.