[Collective Development] Roadsigns & Ley Lines DEV

edited February 2006 in Story Games
This thread splits off development concepts and discussions from the main collective design thread for Roadsigns & Ley Lines. (Andy, feel free to move this to Praxis! if you think it fits better there.)

Here are the outstanding DEV notes:

* Is a card-based system viable for a PDF game?

* Is this Rummy-esque card-based system evocative of genre/setting/tone?

* Is the cost and effort to design and layout a special card deck worth it?

* Does the card-based resolution violate the "the system should be dead simple" precept?

* Should alternate mechanics for dice and diceless resolution be included?

* Regarding the Ley Trumps, should "the Silk Road" Trump be discarded in favor of purely American streets and roads, or should more famous international routes be included?

If we can get a workable game assembled (rules, art, playtest, revision), I'm willing to publish it. There are several business questions involved with that, though. . . and for a later time.

CU

Comments

• edited February 2006
    * Is a card-based system viable for a PDF game?

It depends. I'm gonna say 'no'. My first reaction was, "Why not just use normal cards if you're going to have four suits, anyway?"

* Is this Rummy-esque card-based system evocative of genre/setting/tone?

I don't know. I'm sure it could work.

* Is the cost and effort to design and layout a special card deck worth it?

No. Use normal cards. Focus effort on designing the card mechanic and integrating it completely with the tone of the game. Since the cards aren't going to fulfill a non-cardgame function (like the instruction cards in the Roach) there's no reason to get wacky with the cards themselves.

* Does the card-based resolution violate the "the system should be dead simple" precept?

Yes. Either it's pointless work (because you're duplicating the function of normal cards) or you have to put a tremendous amount of effort toward making sure the specialty cards work the way you want them to.

* Should alternate mechanics for dice and diceless resolution be included?

Again, just rethink the mechanic so it fits a normal card deck. Perhaps the number cards are used to augment powers, while the face cards add crazy modifiers? (Like Kings=King Of The Road, trump card for any driving-based action)
  • I don't think it'd be difficult to turn it from a custom deck into a poker deck.

Spades = Movement / Green
    Diamonds = Warning / Yellow
    Clubs = Regulation / White
    Hearts = Prohibition / Red

Turn Trumps into Face Cards. Instead of roads, have it be pseudomythical figures -- King of Spades is Henry Ford, Jack of Diamonds is Evil Kenevil, etc.
  • Guns, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Coins

Just filter out all the fantasy stuff that I tend to add to games I play.
  • * Regarding the Ley Trumps, should "the Silk Road" Trump be discarded in favor of purely American streets and roads, or should more famous international routes be included?

I'm in favour of putting in famous international routes and then giving them entirely erroneous interpretations based upon the American landscape. It's a classic post-Apocalyptic trope.
  • "This here stretch of asphalt goes from here to New Atlanta, and I don't gotta tell you bout the whores they got there -- the brothels of the Georgian Republic are world-famous. But anyway, that's why they call this here the Silk Road, cause that's what all the women wear at the end of it."
  • I'm in favour of putting in famous international routes and then giving them entirely erroneous interpretations based upon the American landscape. It's a classic post-Apocalyptic trope.

Cool.

"This six-laner is known as the Champs de Ellie-Mae, and it runs from Lake Champlain to Beverly Hills (swimmin' pools, movie stars)."

CU
  • "You wanna steer clear of Galveston; the Shrimp King's got hisself a army of Vietnamese low riders keeping the Republic outta his back yard. They call that piece of road the Orient Tex-Press."
  • When that John Lenin started that October revolution at Strawberry Fields the Bolsheviks took over everything.
  • Aw crap, I think my Tarot thing killed the thread.
  • Aw crap, I think my Tarot thing killed the thread.

No, I'm willing to believe it was my EDIT/DEV contributions.

It went from being fun to being work-esque.

Mea culpa.

CU