[A.W. Hack] A Perfect World

edited July 2010 in Story Games
In A Perfect World, Only Status Quos Survive.

This is a brainstorm & idea thread.

A Perfect World (current name chosen because it's a funny twist off Apocalypse World) is cyberpunk/near-future, of the gleaming metropolis and robots-with-pleasantly-sculpted-silicone-faces variety. An aesthetic resembling Minority Report & AI & I, Robot. A place where things are messed up below the surface, sure, but everything's sleek on top.

Part of the premise being: Only Status Quos Survive.
Some of the classes are designed to run against status quos - to gamble against the world.
Some are designed to manipulate and make use of status quos.
Some are designed to selectively enforce status quos.

There are Trend books, which replace Front books. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but they are like a combination of escalating threat & meme cementation tracker - if a Trend goes a certain way, it becomes a Status Quo.

Take out hit points, and Barter, and replace them both with Flow.
Flow is a resource that you lose when hurt, and gamble with when doing something involving risking your social cache.
Instead of rolling "+spent barter", you're likely to roll "+risked flow". Meaning that the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.
Meaning the poor have to rely on newer, riskier sets of resources.

It's not a scarcity society. But I want there to be some way to state that what you want is scarce.
Probably what you want isn't material, or legal, one or the other.

That's all I got so far. Thoughts?

Comments

• I want some shadowrunny stealing and backstabbing.

When you take something...
    Roll +[relevant stat]. On a 10+, you take it and gain a Flow. On a 7-9, you take it with one string. On a miss, there are three strings attached, and the MC decides whether or not you actually got it.
  • Hey, have you read Vonnegut's fantastic short story Harrison Bergeron? It's a fantastic reference for what you're talking about.
  • Posted By: ElizabethHey, have you read Vonnegut's fantastic short storyHarrison Bergeron?It's a fantastic reference for what you're talking about.
    Never!

Awesome, I'll check it out. I like Vonnegut, so this will be a treat.
  • Harrison Bergeron is one of my all-time favourite short stories. Of all time.
  • This makes me want a move called "When you Rebel Against the System..."
    About when you're very in-your-face about going against the status quo publicly.

- Ryan
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinThis makes me want a move called "When you Rebel Against the System..."
    About when you're very in-your-face about going against the status quo publicly.
    Hm.

I am not so interested in a game about punks fighting the system.
    I am interested in a game about slick manipulators, gambling on their slickness.

So, I think that we're envisioning different games? Or... ?
    In other words, this is not Misspent Youth.
    This is Slicksters In Slicksville.
  • Someday I will actually get my copy of AW, at which point I will be able to speak to Fronts etc. (I've played it a number of times, I just haven't read the book.)

"Some are designed to selectively enforce status quos" is interesting to me. Are we talking people who have worked their way into the system (John Anderton from Minority Report, Mr. X from X-Files) and are now risking themselves by digging around for truth? You can use your authority and the threat of enforcement to get what you want, but any time you do, you risk someone going over your head and finding out you aren't authorized to be doing this.

When you Act with Authority, roll +Cool. On 10+, you are unhindered and carry +1 Flow forward. On 7-9, choose two: your authority is granted; there are no immediate consequences for you; there are no immediate consequences for others; your superiors hear nothing. On a miss... (?)
  • Posted By: Brendan
    When you Act with Authority,roll +Cool. On 10+, you are unhindered and carry +1 Flow forward. On 7-9, choose two: your authority is granted; there are no immediate consequences for you; there are no immediate consequences for others; your superiors hear nothing. On a miss... (?)
    Cool!