Help me name a radio show.

edited July 2010 in Story Games
So, I'm submitting a program proposal to my local co-op radio station. I'm probably sending it in, in like, a day or two.

The program idea is essentially this:
To explore how stories bind people together, and create communities, and how communities can embrace story as a catalyst for growth. That sounds kinda dense, because its a goal made to accommodate lots of different communities of storytellers. Put differently: a show about how stories and communities intersect.

My goal is to have a weekly interview show, where I talk to people involved in different communities of story (which can be interpreted as loosely as I want to). So: story gamers, re-wilders, mythic cartographers, performance poets, improvised songwriters/singers, improv people, community theatre participants & activists, narrative therapists, art therapists, storytellers, authors, interactive fiction people, fanfic writers & enthusiasts, appreciative inquiry facilitators, graphical facilitators, writing teachers, people involved in theatre of the oppressed, interpretive guides, historians, etc.

Luckily, I know people involved in like... most of those things. I think that finding one solid season of interviews will be a piece of cake, and after that it might involve some crowd-sourced ideas.

So.
That's what's up.
A weekly, hour-long interview show... it'd consist of 40 minutes of interview and 20 minutes of music every episode, probably.
Talkin' bout stories and communities.

What do I call it?

I've got ideas, including at least two good ones, but I want to know what y'all suggest.

Comments

• Common Threads: How Stories Bind People Together.
  • Wow, what a cool idea - I hope they take you up on it.

How about calling it Scheherazade?
  • Oooh, and if they take him off the air...
  • Common Threads is pretty cool. Though I think including subtitle, it's a bit too long.

Other ones I have:
    Stories Are Like Glue
    Story People
    What We Make Together
  • Is that for CFRO? Very cool in any case and good luck with it.

I quite like Scherezade.
  • Posted By: walkerpIs that for CFRO? Very cool in any case and good luck with it.
    Nah, I moved away from Vancouver!

I live in Nelson now. Kootenay Co-op Radio ftw.
  • Do they have a website where we could listen to the show?
  • I really like the Common Threads suggestion. Here are some others:

Story Tellers
    The Narrative Truth
    Telling Stories
    True Stories
    The Stories We Tell
    Story Threads
    Community Tales
    Stories in the Wild
    Have You Heard?
  • Tale Spinners
  • Posted By: Paul CzegeTale Spinners
    Does that show have ducks or something?
  • This sounds really cool, Joe.

Unfortunately, instead of a good suggestion, I have a question:

What in the world are these?
    Posted By: Mcdaldnore-wilders, mythic cartographers [...] narrative therapists, [...] appreciative inquiry facilitators, graphical facilitators [...] people involved in theatre of the oppressed, interpretive guides
    Who are these people and what do they do?

Sounds really interesting. I'm hooked already.
  • Story Circle?
  • Posted By: Will EdgeStory Circle?
    My friend Julian Michaels (a story gamer, story jammer, narrative therapist and improver) has a thing called Open Story Circle. So, name is taken!
  • Posted By: Paul T.What in the world are these?

Posted By: Mcdaldnore-wilders, mythic cartographers [...] narrative therapists, [...] appreciative inquiry facilitators, graphical facilitators [...] people involved in theatre of the oppressed, interpretive guides
    Who are these people and what do they do?

Sounds really interesting. I'm hooked already.

Flippant answer: the show debuts is September! Tune in then!

Non-flippant answer:

Mythic Cartography is an approach to re-interpreting our landscapes as living things, with their own stories and heritage. It's kind of an animistic mindset, a way of experiencing the world, and it's tied into rewilding. Willem Larsen uses the phrase, though I don't know if he coined it.

Rewildingis about understanding how we have domesticated ourselves, learning how to be wild again, and practicing the art of being an organic part of our world. It's tied to (or a part of) green anarchy, and is either the same thing as or a bigger thing than de-civving... clearly, there's some controversy around what these concepts are, and it's not a controversy I want to excite too much.

Narrative Therapy is an approach to explore people's lives and struggles through storytelling. In its lamest form, it's "let's use these dolls to remove ourselves a step from the painful story we need to unpack in order for you to heal." In its most amazing and invigorating form, it's "let's involve ourselves fully in the creation of parallels and symbologies with which to address the pains we need to unpack in order to heal."

Appreciative Inquiry is a method of inquiry/facilitation that focuses on best practices and best stories. Rather than focusing on identifying needs and offering solutions (ie, seeing problems and fixing problems), appreciative inquiry focuses on identifying stories and creating human connections to our work (ie, seeing strengths and building futures). Story-based asset recognition stuff.

Graphical Facilitation is a method of facilitation that focuses on drawing pictures, using art to express goals, and giving people a tangible vision and anchor for decisions being made in the here and now. I first encountered it as a community support worker - working with people with disabilities, many who faced illiteracy, it was a way to take all these mumbly words and confusing thoughts and make them... real. accessible. powerful. The first image that comes up on Google when you search for graphical facilitation is this. The result of graphical facilitation is something just like that. Cool, hey?

Theatre of the Oppressed! Too long has theatre been a tool of the bourgeoisie for suppressing the people! Theatre should be about community, and solutions, and taking ownership over one's struggles, and breaking down walls, and making people thing, and reinvigorating our natural instinct to create and share stories! We'll make theatre in the streets! We'll make theatre on half-constructed stages! Every audience member will become an actor! Every actor, audience! We'll not have one single, solitary way that a play goes. There will be a thousand plays in every situation, and we will invite everyone to direct their own! Down with the shame-instilling domesticating plays of yesteryear. We are here to unite everyone under the banner of theatre!

Interpretive Guides... I dunno what I meant by that one. It could mean tour guides who tell stories to tourists. It could mean people who hike through nature and interpret the stories of trees. One time, I was led on a hike by an ethnobotanist, who analyzed the ways that cultures understood and used various plants and lifeforms. That sort of stuff!
  • "The Jerk Circle."
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: Mcdaldno

Narrative Therapyis an approach to explore people's lives and struggles through storytelling. In its lamest form, it's "let's use these dolls to remove ourselves a step from the painful story we need to unpack in order for you to heal." In its most amazing and invigorating form, it's "let's involve ourselves fully in the creation of parallels and symbologies with which to address the pains we need to unpack in order to heal."
    I suspect that Marwencol may be a good example. Could be some good material for the show there, Joe, if you weren't aware of it already.
  • edited July 2010
    Posted By: walkerpI suspect thatMarwencolmay be a good example. Could be some good material for the show there, Joe, if you weren't aware of it already.
    Marwencol is one of the most ugly beautiful things in the entire world. It fascinates me.
    I want to have the Marwencol dude on my show, despite the fact that he's already been on This American Life, or whatever it's called.

Narrative Therapy typically refers to a form of like, clinical therapy... with a therapist and a patient.
    My initial thought was to get in someone who is training or trained as a narrative therapist, though this is ALSO an awesome angle to take.
  • Posted By: Brendan"The Jerk Circle."
    This sounds like a reasonable title.
  • Hey Joe, will this be listen-able in the broader world, like through the internet? Even better, can you record it & host the files somewhere? Really? Great!
  • Posted By: hans ottersonHey Joe, will this be listen-able in the broader world, like through the internet? Even better, can you record it & host the files somewhere? Really? Great!
    Yeah, I'll be airing these episodes on the radio, and then putting them up as a podcast following their air date.
  • How about:

Community Plot
    Not Your Grandmother's Plot (implies both new and creepy)
    Shaggy Dog
    Red Herring
    The Plot
    Our Narrative World
  • "Story People" for the win.

story people: you are what you tell.

story people: tell me what you said, again, faster.

(Holy fuck, Marwencol is amazing!)
  • Hey y'all,

Last week, I committed to The Stories We Tell.
    And then I submitted my full proposal.

Today, between 4:05pm and 5:17pm, me and my interview guest (kaleigh barton, lol) recorded our audio demo. The demo requirements were super strict (play 30 seconds music, fade it out, intro including station ID in under 30 seconds, say name, describe show, 60 seconds of music, fade it out... etc, etc) so we didn't have as much chance to play around as I would have liked...

But the demo is submitted, as of 5:18pm today.

I interviewed Kaleigh about this thing called "story games", and it was fun to ask questions about this "neat niche activity" as if I had never heard of it.

"So, if we're all there to tell a story, why do we need to have this big structure of rules? What does that bring to the table?"
    "So, can these rules change how we think about stories?"
  • Awesome, Joe. I hope you get a show, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
  • Woo!
    The Stories We Tell has been accepted by the Kootenay Co-op Radio selection committee.
    First episodes will air in September.

If you think you'd be an interesting guest on the show, whisper me and let me know!

Criterion:
    you care about community.
    you care about stories.
    you are involved in some niche activity that intertwines the two in some interesting way.

Examples are listed upthread. I'll be super excited if you come to me with an activity I've never heard of before.
  • Congratulations, Joe! That's great news. I look forward to hearing your first episode.
  • Yeah, me too!