GenCon 2010 Shopping List

I won't be in Indianapolis this year, but a friend has offered to do some shopping for me. What cool games will be seeing their first GenCon and what booths will they be available at?

Comments

• Yes yes, same here. Someone tell us what is new and exciting to buy at GenCon!
  • Stop by the IPR booth for some free, new, unpublished Fiasco playsets.
  • I've been a bit crap organising it, but Dead of Night 2nd ed should be on the IPR booth in limited quantities.
  • edited July 2010
    Also, Gregor Hutton's new cyberpunk game, Remember Tomorrow, will be on Design Matters, as will Joe Prince's Hell 4 Leather.
  • (from the GenCon thread of the same name):

I've actually been keeping myself out of the loop a bit so that I'm a bit more surprised at what's out and about this year.

Here's the stuff that I would have bought at GenCon if I didn't already buy it in the last month:
    * Apocalypse World RPG - Vincent Baker (all I needed to know, DONE DEAL)
    * Blowback RPG (think "Burn Notice: The Role-playing Game") - Elizabeth Shoemaker
    * Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition
    * Blood and Honor

Stuff that I'm buying:
    * Dark Sun 4e. Yes, it was my favorite classic 2e setting as well. I can't wait, as 4e might give it the teeth it needed.
    * Freemarket
    * Apparently something called "IRON-DIE", which I'll be buying for Travis from my gaming group.
    * If Leverage is there, I will be buying it. EDIT: It won't, confirmed.
    * I've heard a lot about Swords Without Master from the guys at my gaming table who have played it. If Eppy is there and the game is with him, I'll be getting that. Unfortunately, there's really no info about the game on the SWM blog.
    * More of the d10s with the kanji on them that also have that poem written on them, from that Polish company Q-Workshop that does all the pretty dice. Ah, here they are:

Stuff that I want to check out, flip through, etc:
    * Iron Dynasty: Art of War (lol @ Jerry: There's a Savage Worlds HELLAS, there's also apparently a Savage Worlds TENRA BANSHO)
    * White Wolf's "Mirrors" supplement.
    * Whatever is at the OBSIDIAN: Age of Judgement table. Even though I never buy anything they're always fun to look at and hear about.
  • This is actually the first GenCon when there's more than one game I want to buy. I am psyched about, alphabetically:

A Taste For Murder - Graham Walmsley, Pelgrane Press booth
    Apocalypse World - Vincent Baker, Lumpley Games booth (although I'll have my copy before then, and it'll be like my third copy of the game, I want it anyway)
    Swords Without Master - Epidiah Ravachol, Design Matters
    Time and Temp - Epidiah Ravachol, Design Matters

I also want a cuter pair of goggles than the one I got two years ago, but that's neither here nor there.
  • List of games releasing at GenCon

That list is from boardgamegeek, so it has a boardgame slant, but it tries to include rpgs as well.

I'm going to be looking at

Dark Sun 4e
    Deathwatch-Space marines finally make it to Warhammer 40KRP
    Secrets & Lies Hardboiled Triple Feature
    Shadow, Sword and Spell from Rogue Games
    Dresden Files

I have already purchased via PDF
    ICONS
    DC Adventures (Mutants & Masterminds 3e)
  • I'm excited about:

Blowback
    Mars Colony
    Whatever Eppy's working on (he told me the name but I forgot).

I imagine our Mr Wick will be releasing something new, so I'll check that out.
  • If you have kids or know gamers with kids, might I recommend:

• Misspent Youth and Annalise are both finalized, printed, and ready for GenCon.
  • Posted By: HarlequinMisspent Youth and Annalise are both finalized, printed, and ready for GenCon.
    Yeah, and I'll be there being a demo whore for whoever wants one.
  • I'll be there with Smallville. It's super-special.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Umm... Freemarket? (looks like andy mentioned this)

and the Adventure Burner?

and a whole bunch of new Parsley games? (like Action Castle)

How that's all flying below radar i'll never know. Then again, Luke and Jared could fart in a box and i might buy it.
  • My shopping list is severely effected by preorders. I know I'll be picking up DC Adventures, being an unrepentant DC nerd. Happy Birthday Robot too. Blowback also, most likely. Maybe Dark Sun, I've heard enough good stuff about it.

Freemarket, Adventure Burner and Apocalypse World are the big things for me, and I already have preorders on them all.
  • Posted By: sageMy shopping list is severely effected by preorders. I know I'll be picking up DC Adventures, being an unrepentant DC nerd. Happy Birthday Robot too. Blowback also, most likely. Maybe Dark Sun, I've heard enough good stuff about it.
    There may be limited number of Happy Birthday Robot. You may want to swing by and pick on e up early.
  • Blowback will also be in pretty short supply, is my understanding. We anticipate a busy Thursday at Design Matters!
  • I managed to scrape up a few extra copies of Blowback, which were essentially swept up in a last-minute surge of preorders, so yes— hit Design Matters and/or IPR early for your copy.
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerPosted By: sageMy shopping list is severely effected by preorders. I know I'll be picking up DC Adventures, being an unrepentant DC nerd. Happy Birthday Robot too. Blowback also, most likely. Maybe Dark Sun, I've heard enough good stuff about it.
    There may be limited number of Happy Birthday Robot. You may want to swing by and pick on e up early.
    Yup, already heard that from Daniel. That and Blowback are probably the first things I'll be getting.
  • Adventure Burner and Apocalypse World are the most interesting for me.
  • Oh, I forgot How We Came To Live Here. That's on my "Will likely totally buy, just want to flip through it one more time first" list.

Oh, also, I'll be bringing the last three print copies of MAID with me (the next print run won't be for a month or so due to various dumb delays), for sale for like $25 each. If you want a copy, let me know now and I'll hold it aside for you. I'll give you the print copy, and fire you off a PDF when I hit my PC again back at my hotel room.

-Andy
  • I was a huge How We Came To Live Here fanboy throughout the game's development and it exceeds expectations. It is a cool game that does some very subtle and interesting things in play that I have not really seen other games touch.
  • I'll be picking up Apocalypse world, and I'm looking forward to grabbing the new Fiasco sets and Parsley adventures. I feel like I've already bought or pre-ordered most other things that I'm super into, but I know that I'll wind up with more than I expected by the end of the con. (Like, how can I stay away from the Adventure Burner, or whatever Eppy's got brewing?)

I'll also be there with a preview stack of Twenty Four Game Poems books. They're free - they may be sitting at the Design Matters table, and I'll probably have some on hand if they run out.
  • If I were to be at GenCon, I'd be purchasing Hamlet's Hit Points, by Robin Laws.

And all the cool games I didn't manage to purchase at Origins.
  • If you Emmer-Effers get Apocalypse World and Freemarket before I do, I'll be very sad.

The stabby kind of sad.
  • edited July 2010
    [deleted because my clicky finger is stupid]
  • edited August 2010
    I never buy anything direct I can't get for my shop first, so I suspect from the sound of all these limited print runs that it might bethink on the grind story game-wise.. (most micro press authors are reluctant to wholesale until they've maximized their direct sales, and some won't do it at all...) but I did all right at the end of the show last year picking up what IPR had left, so I'll probably head home excited about a pile of all the stuff you guys were gushing over six months ago. (I also have plenty of access to games pretty much all the time so prefer to let the Con-goers for whom this is a major big deal in their lives get first crack...)

I will be snagging at least one of the pre order copies of Misspent Youth Rob was awesome enough to let us get, so I'm definitely jazzed about that, and hoping Luke will have printed enough Adventure Burner to snag a few of those too.

Last year I checked out a lot of the new stuff and then picked it up 3-6 weeks later when IPR (or the local story game authors we're lucky enough to live near) got the rest of their stock in after their Con rush reorders were dealt with. I suspect it's a different experience of the show than many ores, but that's largely to be expected, I guess.

Definitely looking forward to it, regardless... I'm more. Interested in making sure I get a chance to PLAY some of these than in actually buying any in the first minute of the show. I know I'll see teem all eventually, and one thing that working in the trade induces is a relative amount of patience; there's just a massive glut of product every August (which has been made exponentially more huge by the explosion of small press and self-published stuff) ; the certain knowledge that eventually ALL of it (whether I personally have an interest or not) will pass through my hands makes it a lot easier to hold off on the GenCon stampede.

All that said, I may just break my own rule for Apocalypse World and Blowback. : )

-Jim C.
  • All for One: Régime Diabolique by Triple Ace Games using the Ubiquity system