[Gen Con] Entrepreneurs' Avenue?

edited August 2010 in Story Games
So, I was trolling Gencon's website just now, and noticed this.

You can secure a 10x10 booth for $1000 if you're a new-to-Gencon business.
Further, you can apply to be one of 6 to be upgraded to a 20x10 at no additional cost, based on your neat-o marketing plan.

That's pretty cool.

Do we know anyone who went for it?
Did anyone visit the avenue? Feedback on it?

Comments

• Maybe combine this:
    Posted By: McdaldnoSo, I was trolling Gencon's website just now, and noticedthis.

You can secure a 10x10 booth for $1000 if you're a new-to-Gencon business.
    Further, you can apply to be one of 6 to be upgraded to a 20x10 at no additional cost, based on your neat-o marketing plan.
    with this --
    Posted By: J. Walton [in a different thread]I wonder if guerilla backpackers would be allowed if they were nominally connected to some official booth. Like maybe they all combine to form a single share of some booth and they hand out flyers for that booth with copies of their games, to drive people back to the mothership or whatever. I really like the guerilla approach, but being kicked out of the convention might suck a bit (but be good for publicity).
    -- maybe?
  • From what I saw, there was a lot of space in the entrepreneurs area- booths that didn't come together at the last minute, maybe. My understanding is that to get that space you need to be new to the exhibit hall and selling one primary product. What I saw over there was the booth selling "gamer soap" (soap with a die in the middle, for stinky gamers?), some dubious-looking hentai booths, and a few clothing and jewelry outfits. In any case, it might be a cheap way to buy in, but it looked pretty bleak over there.
  • Actually, this map gives you a good idea who was supposed to be there, although at least some of them didn't show up:

http://www.rootjack.com/gencon-map/
  • From the linked Gen Con announcementQ: Can I share this booth with another company?
    A: In short, no. If you want to share a booth, you will need to book at the regular rate.
  • It's also located in more or less a low-traffic ghetto, being in the far corner of the hall. No through-traffic, no real chance of being next to a destination booth and getting spill-off traffic. It's on the same end of the hall as author's alley & artist's alley, which is always lower in traffic than the rest of the hall.

I walked by there once (in my copious free time) and didn't see anything catching my eye the way the rest of the hall did. If I had more time, I would have browsed it more in-depth. (Which is one of my GenCon 2010 regret.)

Not that those are reasons to avoid doing it, per se -- but things that should be considered if you want to walk away without losing your shirt.

- Ryan
  • The "with one primary product" stipulation is also a tough one. We looked at the Entrepenurial booths for the first year of Design Matters, but that was a deal-breaker. If you're only selling one book, say it's $25, even if the booth is only $1000 you still need to move 40 books to break even - not impossible, but for a first-timer in a low-traffic area I wouldn't bet on it, personally. Not unless you've sunk a bunch of marketing into it before hand.
  • Posted By: ndpNot unless you've sunk a bunch of marketing into it before hand.
    In which case, if your goal is to break even, that means moving more...

It's probably not a terrible idea if you aren't super-networked. But then, GenCon might not be the show for people who haven't invested a lot of time in networking (at least, as a booth seller -- definitely go if your goal is to network).

- Ryan
  • Posted By: misubaFrom the linked Gen Con announcementQ: Can I share this booth with another company?
    A: In short, no. If you want to share a booth, you will need to book at the regular rate.
    Yeah, but Design Matters and Pirate Jenny are both classified as single company booths.

In the rest of the hall, you have to pay $250 to put two different company names under one booth, like Evil Hat / IPR did.
  • Was this where the small publishers were?

It was a bit grim down there. I wouldn't have wanted to be stuck on one of those booths.
  • I intentionally checked out that section because of the the Entrepreneurs. Unfortunately, there wasn't much that grabbed my attention. It certainly could have been a valid option for some. I suspect that the profits would have been higher for Evil Hat if they had one of those booths for instance and any other big-drawing product debut could do well there.

Still, without a strong buzz ahead of time it would be rough.
  • ... but a booth that's your home base, and all your actual action is backpack action seems kosher.

• Posted By: Joshua A.C. Newman... but a booth that's your home base, and all your actual action is backpack actionseemskosher.
    Really?
    Here are some existing rules: (a.) you can't flyer outside your booth, (b.) you can't sell outside the dealer's hall.

I'd extrapolate from that a certain spirit that disapproves of selling outside one's physical booth, ever, at all, regardless of spin.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinIt's also located in more or less a low-traffic ghetto, being in the far corner of the hall. No through-traffic, no real chance of being next to a destination booth and getting spill-off traffic. It's on the same end of the hall as author's alley & artist's alley, which is always lower in traffic than the rest of the hall.

I walked by there once (in my copious free time) and didn't see anything catching my eye the way the rest of the hall did. If I had more time, I would have browsed it more in-depth. (Which is one of my GenCon 2010 regret.)

Not that those are reasons to avoid doing it, per se -- but things that should be considered if you want to walk away without losing your shirt.

- Ryan
    They also forbid sharing booths in the Entrepreneurs' Avenue.

OTOH, by my reading of the exhibit hall rules, things like Design Matters shouldn't work. So my interpretation should be suspect.
  • The Outbreak folks were down there. They looked like they were doing just fine.
  • Posted By: Lee ShortOTOH, by my reading of the exhibit hall rules, things like Design Matters shouldn't work. So my interpretation should be suspect.
    Design Matters (and other communal booths, like Pirate Jenny, I suspect) only work because Design Matters is it's own "company" (a doing-business-as). The individual exhibitors are NOT listed in the program book, and don't have their imprint/company name on their badges, is the main thing.