Elitist Gamer Video

edited August 2010 in Stuff to Watch
Here's a little puppet show video I made based on some shared experiences with my friends. It's based on various interactions with people online and off. As with all these videos, it's completely unfair, one-sided, and meant entirely in jest!

Comments

• I like Caesar's "What Roleplaying Game Should We Play" a little better (no offense). This was a little awkward, I couldn't really find a character to stand behind. But I LOVE the last line in that video, that was fucking hilarious!

-Andy
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: AndyThis was a little awkward, I couldn't really find a character to stand behind. But I LOVE the last line in that video, that was fucking hilarious!
    Well...it's based on some awkward conversations; so a bit of that is intentional, I think. Maybe it's a litmus test and if you can't relate strongly to the box-headed-Story-Now character then you aren't messed up like I am. ;-) I know my point of view isn't common, even among other Story Gamers. That's why I threw in some broader jokes about "What's an Indie RPG?" and the like.

Glad you liked some if it though!
  • edited August 2010
    I thought it was amusing without actually sympathizing with either character and finding them both a little off base.
  • This video was less funny than the other one, but more insightful.

Matt
  • I agreed and disagreed with both of those characters throughout the video. I'm assuming your standpoint is that of the brown dude, Scott? I mostly agreed with him, but when he says stuff like "Vampire is not a story game," I roll my eyes. The distinction between "story game" and "roleplaying game" bring so much nerdrage, and those terms mean nothing when put next to each other. They serve only to make people angry and cause imaginary divisions.

Also: lol'd @ "don't call it d&d. Bungo will get angry," and "But it is by Luke Crane. He is teh indie god."

and the last line. Great!
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: hans ottersonI agreed and disagreed with both of those characters throughout the video. I'm assuming your standpoint is that of the brown dude, Scott? I mostly agreed with him, but when he says stuff like "Vampire is not a story game," I roll my eyes. The distinction between "story game" and "roleplaying game" bring so much nerdrage, and those terms mean nothing when put next to each other. They serve only to make people angry and cause imaginary divisions.
    Yup - but more of my experience than a standpoint. The problem isn't with the term Story Games - which most roleplayers have never heard - it's about trying to explain why I like what I like without it offending anyone and why I don't like or aren't interested in playing traditional RPGs without the superiority assumption. I see a difference between traditional and Story Games and I want that difference because I'm not interested in playing traditional RPGs anymore. Those terms mean something to me, anyways. Besides, it's different in real life where I've never experienced nerdrage on this specific topic (or even much awareness of the topic).

The being-called-an-elitist part of this comes from online interactions (that weren't nearly as confrontational as the puppet show) and the confusion with the Storyteller system comes from real life, so I'm mixing things for comedic effect. But the cardboard box robot has to make some missteps too or there wouldn't be a misunderstanding to work from.
  • I made a puppet show about Story Games as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBP46iUE52k

-Andy
  • Hahahaha! I liked that quite a bit.