Can anybody tell me what this game book was?

edited August 2010 in Story Games
So, I was thinking about this game book I skimmed through once in high school, and I couldn't remember what it was.

It may have been a supplement, or maybe just a single volume from a multi-volume game; I don't think it was a whole game.

It was about killing vampires. You were vampire hunters, and you killed vampires. There was a really colorful Monster Manual-style section with all these different kinds of vampires, ranging from the classic Nosferatu and Dracula style to totally grotesque, non-humanoid abominations.

It had a fairly extensive set of rules regarding how vampires could be killed. I remember distinctly a rule that staking a low-level vampire would destroy it instantly, turning it to dust, whereas staking a high-level vampire would leave a skeleton, and if the stake was removed it could regenerate. There was an illustration of such a regeneration.

There were plenty of gonzo vampire-killin' weapons. I remember a thing that you wore on your back that was basically a sprinkler that sprayed holy water in a radius around you, so the vamps couldn't get too close without getting burned.

For some reason, I have this idea that it was set in Meso- and South America.

I'm also pretty sure that it wasn't a White Wolf product.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Comments

• It wasn't the Rifts Vampire Kingdoms supplement, was it? I feel like I remember the "high level vampires leave skeletons" bit and I know that was set in Mexico.
  • I googled that just now and, hmm, maybe. The cover doesn't ring a bell at all (I have a vague recollection of it being orangey), but the description sounds like it.
  • edited August 2010
    I just re-read your post and I am almost positive the holy water sprinkler was in there.

Also the revised and expanded edition had orange text on it.
  • Posted By: Marshall BurnsFor some reason, I have this idea that it was set in Meso- and South America.
    Rifts: Vampire Kingdoms is the most likely contender, although that was one I would have borrowed from a friend, not ownned myself. The holy water sprayer sounds really Rifts-y, too.
  • Was it the Vampires supplement for Chill? I know there was one for the Pacesetter version. I don't recall if there was another for the Mayfair version.

Jesse
  • Posted By: Marshall BurnsIt had a fairly extensive set of rules regarding how vampires could be killed. I remember distinctly a rule that staking a low-level vampire would destroy it instantly, turning it to dust, whereas staking a high-level vampire would leave a skeleton, and if the stake was removed it could regenerate. There was an illustration of such a regeneration.
    Was this a full page black and white illustration divided up in to series of time lapse drawings of each step of the regeneration starting with the staked skeleton and ending with the fully regenerated vampire leaping at the viewer? If so that is definitely the Vampire Kingdoms book for Rifts.

In addition to the holy water sprinkler it also had the rail gun that fired stakes!

- Colin
  • Maybe GURPS Blood Types?
  • Posted By: Marshall Burns

For some reason, I have this idea that it was set in Meso- and South America.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Like everyone else, I'm thinking Rifts Vampire Kingdoms, based on that bit.
  • Posted By: Steerpike
    Was this a full page black and white illustration divided up in to series of time lapse drawings of each step of the regeneration starting with the staked skeleton and ending with the fully regenerated vampire leaping at the viewer?
    I dunno. I don't remember the illustration itself, only that there was one.

I wish I could find some pictures of Rifts Vampire Kingdoms' interior, so I could know for sure, but all I can find online is the stinkin' cover.
  • That South-American bit is a pretty strong Rifts give-away, I would say. Not much material based in that environment. I'd suggest AD&D 2nd edition Ravenloft monster guides (Von Richten's guide to vampire slaying or something of the sort), except those have nothing whatsoever to do with South America. One would think that the Rifts book is the only one out there that combines vampires and Meso-America.