Make-Believe Nostalgia

edited August 2010 in Actual Play
So, I'm sitting at work, right? And my coworker is playing music, and this soulful accoustic cover of "Hey Ya!" by Obadiah Parker comes on. It's such a distinct and memorable cover.

But more importantly for me, it was the second track used in a game of Ribbon Drive. In other words, it was the song that we all based our characters off. It was the song that defined the cast of our road trip. And so it brought back a cross-country trip, a pregnant girl running from her flake-out boyfriend, a troubled boy flaking out on his steadfast boyfriend, a grad student who hasn't amounted to anything.... trouble in Austin, heartbreak in California.

Now, Ribbon Drive anchors a game in the group's music library, so that nostalgic throwback factor is pretty high. But it's not unique in this regard - little turns of phrase, plot twists, visuals... they can bring back such awesome gaming memories.

Anyone have any other instances of this? of little moments bringing back fond memories that we never actually lived through?

Comments

• Every time I hear the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage", I am reminded of my Buffy RPG mad scientist, who would sometimes disguise himself as Rico Miami, also known as the Smooth Operator. He would borrow a friend's Camaro and arrive somewhere in a ridiculously horrible mustache/wig combo that everyone could see right through, everyone. But he would insist that he wasn't Elvin Drinkwater, mad scientist, but Rico Miami, Smooth Operator. And later, he would insist on his friends explaining to him what happened "when he wasn't there". When they reluctantly agreed, he would constantly interrupt and say "Wow, that Rico Miami guy sounds amazing!" And so on.

LISTEN ALL A YALL ITS SAB BO TAAAAGE
  • I can't see Chinatown without thinking of a Cyberpunk game I ran where one of the PC police officers - who had, as backstory, seen bad shit go down in Chinatown (which I stole from the movie) - yells out in the final firefight, "I remember Chinatown, god damn it!"
  • Last year I went to a local convention in Pittsburgh. There I played a game set in Pittsburgh 1000 years ago, Pittsburgh 250 years ago, Pittsburgh 400 years after the apocalypse, a national forest near Pittsburgh (from a mouse's perspective) and in a version of Pittsburgh seen only in nightmares.

For the next couple of weeks, I'd pass by a location that came up in one of the games and have weird flashbacks to stuff that never actually happened. But I'd remember the bloodthirsty savages that lived at Point State Park, or see the doorway that led into the Mad City or where George Washington's cano got captured by the French, and be back in the mindset of that game.
  • The "Girl From Ipanema" (any version, especially one I haven't heard before) always reminds me of a particular In Nomine game.
  • Josh Ritter's "The Temptation of Adam" brings me back to the same game, Joe. The slow opening, and I don't remember who said it, but "I think we just got kicked out of Burning Man."
  • Rilo Kiley's "The Execution Of All Things" brings back a year-long Sidereal Exalted campaign in which my happy-go-lucky, knowledge-obsessed Chosen of Secrets got her heart broken by her best friend (who needed to marry a half-god due to the machinations of Fate), and became the villain of the piece, all hard-hearted and Bronze factioned.
  • Opeth, "The Grand Conjuration" brings me back to a climactic scene in the Tatters of the King campaign for CoC. The investigators had just disrupted a big ritual and had to escape Carcosa while giant swarms of byakhee chased them. I played this song. It was so cool I just crapped my pants thinking about it.
  • I played the Police Greatest Hits album over and over while reading Mountains of Madness and Other Tales one summer. Over and over. Now I can't think of Cthulhu without "Invisible Sun" or "Don't Stand So Close To Me" playing in my head.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Posted By: CamBanksI played the Police Greatest Hits album over and over while reading Mountains of Madness and Other Tales one summer. Over and over. Now I can't think of Cthulhu without "Invisible Sun" or "Don't Stand So Close To Me" playing in my head.
    This is by far the most bizarre answer yet. What would prompt you to mix The Police & H. P. Lovecraft? And to keep the mix going on repeat?

Now I'm picturing old ones shambling to the sound of "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and it is making me giggle.
    Also, it's maybe got this weird sort of sense to it.
    Don't stand so close to me... for I will shatter your pre-conceptions of the universe.
    Don't stand, don't stand, don't stand so close to that which man was not meant to know.
  • Well, the planet Zebes having a bizarre mashup soundtrack of Super Metroid music + Third Eye Blind is pretty strange, but not as strange as Sting and the Lovecraft Police.

Also, I have fonder and more vivid memories of the exploits of a fictional teenager in Teenagers from Outer Space than of my own early high school. The *really* weird thing is that I remember what happened in the game and what I imagined it looking like more than I remember playing.
  • Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On" causes me to replay an entire music video featuring highlights from my most beloved Forgotten Realms 2nd Edition AD&D character, Rizzan Truelock. At the climax of the song, there's this perfect scene in my head of Rizzan swinging in through a stained glass window in a Temple to Bane, shattering glass all over cultists. 15 years later, every time that song comes on, the same music video in my head.

Led Zeppelin and a Canadian band called The Tea Party were always on repeat during those games. There's a whole pile of songs that flash me back to those game sessions. But none as vividly as "Ramble on" always, always does.
  • Posted By: Mcdaldnoand this soulful accoustic cover of "Hey Ya!" by Obadiah Parker comes on.
    I remember listening to that in the car on th drive home from Go Play NW.

Posted By: McdaldnoWhat would prompt you to mix The Police & H. P. Lovecraft?
    The Thickets actually did a cover of "Walking on the Moon" a long, long time ago. I think Toren said that Sting got 5 cents from every CD sold.
  • I can't eat a banh mi sandwich without thinking about Frank Trang, the most bad-ass cop ever to walk the streets of Cincinatti, from our PTA "Deep in the Blue" game.

• Posted By: Mr. TeapotLast year I went to a local convention in Pittsburgh. There I played a game set in Pittsburgh 1000 years ago, Pittsburgh 250 years ago, Pittsburgh 400 years after the apocalypse, a national forest near Pittsburgh (from a mouse's perspective) and in a version of Pittsburgh seen only in nightmares.
    That is completely great.
  • edited August 2010
    There are some pop songs that always remind me of my good old high school D&D role-playing days... The thing is none of them are remotely related to the game per se.

There is this pop song by Italian singer Nek that always brings me back to those after hours, when my brother and I would sit on the couch after a nice session and do game related stuff (such as calculating the session's XP, updating character sheets, making a drawing of some interesting character, stuff like that) My brother loved that CD and would always play it over and over again.

Then there are some other songs (mainly mexican rock covers of old songs) that one of our friends (the one that was always on time) would play over and over again until everyone had arrived and game could begin.

And there are a couple of songs that always make me think of those endless nights when I'd be all alone, preparing for the next day's adventure, drawings pictures and stating baddies...

Man, life was cool and easy back then.
  • Rush. Junior high D&D in the basement. For real.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: Marc MajcherRush. Junior high D&D in the basement. For real.
    This, also.

Here's a recent one - Johnstone introduced the NPCs in our Apocalypse World game with portraits. Some drawn, some photos, etc. One, however, was a black-and-white-printout of a photo of Danny Trejo with a moustache drawn on him with black marker. His name was Jiminez and every god-damn time I see Trejo in anything, I think "man, Jiminez, you were such a badass until you got shot in the head."

Inescapable NPC memories.