Interview with a Norwegian role playing artiste

edited August 2010 in Story Games
Matthijs Holter interviews controversial Norwegian game designer Gilbert Kraag, on his views of the art of role playing, identity, metaphysical questions and Kraags favourite character (iTunes/mp4-files):

* Part 1
* Part 2
* Part 3

Comments

• Gilbert Kraag is author of The Trancendental Manifesto, which has been prevciously discussed here-
  • It's not serious! But it is. I mean, he doesn't exist, but he does.
  • I'd like to listen, but I don't have an iPod and I'm not going to listen to it on my computer. I listen to podcasts during my commute and my car plays MP3s. Holter needs to provide an MP3 file if he actually wants people to listen.
  • Bizzare. I don't know enough about the Norweagian role play scene to know what is real and what is satire. I assume I'm correct in viewing all of it as satire otherwise it would be a real creepy scene.

Ego destruction through role playing? I guess you could. But I'm certain I don't want that much reality in my games. Throwing shit at one another involves a smell and texture I really don't do for fun.

Reality in games in general has limits for me. I had a kidney stone last week and experienced the worst pain I've felt in my life. One of the thoughts I had as I was feeling the pain and nausea of it all was how RPGs never talk about the effects of physical pain and how it causes nausea. So if I had one hit point left I'd be laid out vomiting rather than wanting to continue the fight. Hum... blood and vomit - two other smells and textures I don't want to dwell on in my entertainment.

Chris Engle
  • Posted By: scottdunphyI'd like to listen, but I don't have an iPod and I'm not going to listen to it on my computer. I listen to podcasts during my commute and my car plays MP3s. Holter needs to provide an MP3 file if he actually wants people to listen.
    That Holter guy... so lazy.
  • Posted By: MatthijsThat Holter guy... so lazy.
    Well, you took the time to record it, you probably did some editing, so I'm guessing you want others to listen, right? Kind of like a podcast, even if you don't have a show site or a feed?

Podcast are all in MP3 format for a reason.
  • edited August 2010
    Hear, hear, Scott! Why limit one's listeners to a particular platform, anyway, when pumping out the MP3 version should take, oh, twenty minutes for the computer conversion?

Don't eat the Apple, Snow White!!!
  • Holter needs to provide a Real Audio file if he actually wants people to listen.
  • Ole Peder's the guy to talk to about file publication. I've dumped it all into his capable hands.

Hey, David, you know Gilbert's work, I think. FYAYAH!
  • Posted By: Caesar_XHolter needs to provide aReal Audiofile if he actually wants people to listen.
    Fancy Real Audio files that need a dedicated player. No, .au is the way to go, so we can just send the file to the audio device and hear it. Much nicer.
  • Matthijs acting as "Matthijs Holter" here, and another known Norwegian designer acting as "Gilbert Kraag".

I find it mildly amusing. Gilbert must be the bastard son of Scatman, I believe.
  • I've listened to 2/3rds so far, and it's delightful. Love that wry, European humor.

My problem, though, is that somehow I kind of love the Transcendental Manifesto. Clearly a moral failure on my part.
  • Posted By: Caesar_XHolter needs to provide aReal Audiofile if he actually wants people to listen.
    Holter needs to etch the file onto a series of wax cylinders if he wants us steampunks to listen to it.