[Diaspora] iPhone Cluster Creation Tool: Sneak Preview

edited September 2010 in Directed Promotion
I'm nearly done with the coding on this project now, though it will probably be a while before it gets listed as it will need to go through the registration process which can take a month or more in some cases. In the meantime though, I thought people might enjoy a little preview of what it's capable of, so I recorded a short orientation video on YouTube. Sorry the quality is a touch fuzzy, but you can see the general features of the app.

Pocket Clusters Demo Video

-Ash

Comments

• Wow. Just awesome.
  • Very cool -- natively programmed, or did you use one of the app-creation tools?
  • Slick, Ash, very slick. I'm blown away.
  • Pretty good - very very cool!

Per
  • Posted By: GMSkarkaVery cool -- natively programmed, or did you use one of the app-creation tools?
    100% Mac-native programming tools. The only graphics that aren't procedurally generated are the galaxy backdrop (courtesy of the Hubble Space Telescope - open license) and the loading screen which I slapped together in Adobe Illustrator. I'm using XCode as my programming environment with Cocoa as the language, which is basically Objective C with a bunch of pre-made libraries. A lot of the really fancy stuff is built in, like the page-flipping animation and the vector rendering environment (Quartz). The trick is finding out how it all slots together.

-Ash
  • Quick update: I've reached the point now where I'm mostly tidying up loose ends and contemplating additional features. I have one major feature left that I want to investigate the viability of, but it may have to wait for a future update along with a couple of other things. One other new feature has been introduced since the demo though. You can now pick your own backdrop image directly from your iPhone photo gallery to use as a backdrop, rather than being stuck with the swirly galaxy. This image also now appears in images and PDF files output from the program, making them even more pretty.

I've sealed up all the memory leaks I can find, and tested every existing feature as thoroughly as I can realistically manage on my own. Won't be long now until I'm ready to send it off to Apple.
  • It just gets better all the time. Have you tried looking at the app on an iPad? I.e., how does the image quality of the app scale up?
  • Posted By: Maltese ChangelingIt just gets better all the time. Have you tried looking at the app on an iPad? I.e., how does the image quality of the app scale up?
    Not yet, the reason being there will probably be an iPad specific version. The app works nicely in compatibility mode, but all the menus are designed for the smaller screen of the iPhone. However the graphical interface that displays the clusters themselves is procedurally generated. The only bitmap is the backdrop, and I intentionally made that for the iPad screen to begin with so it's plenty hi-res enough. Everything else is drawn on the fly by the processor using vectors. I could theoretically put it on any resolution of device I wanted and you shouldn't see any pixellation or distortion. Even the PDF files are in vectors.

-Ash