If We Were Wizards Playing Story Games...

edited September 2010 in Story Games
If we could do magic, like we were wizards or enchanters or sorcerers or technomages or something,
how would our story games (or our story games experiences) be different?

Feel free to answer the question for any definition of "do magic" you see fit.
Hedge magic? Demonic summonings? Divination? Time travel?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    [removed.]
  • edited September 2010
    Well, it wouldn't be so damn novel to make up stories about wizards, for starters.

It'd be like making up stories about story-games players is now... BO-RING.

Since my bag of tricks would include some spectacular lighting effects and shining theme music out of my ass, the overall experience would be much more, y'know, INTENSE. And we'd always play at tables made out of single slabs of granite, and be either atop wickedly epic cliffs or knee-deep in warm, tropical waters.

Margarita, Mcdaldno?

Thought so.

edited to say:

actually, what would really change is that we'd just fucking teleport to wherever other die-hard gamers were, or our gaming friends were, and play rad games with them comfortably in their living rooms. And it would always occur in extra-time, where no one had to work in the morning or got tired or hungry.

sigh.
  • I am so anxiously waiting for that extra time thing to get going.
  • Well, the miniatures and terrain industry would be dead/have never existed...
  • There might be less emphasis on simulation, since as a wizard, you could simply create convincing illusions of the thing you wanted to simulate. Actually, that might INCREASE emphasis on simulation, at least some of the time.

I guess the possibility of full-immersion via illusion would be a huge element.
  • We would play games & make up stories about a world where magic wasn't real. We'd be fascinated with the mundane, with people trying to solve the problems we have to, but without magic. "So this thug in the alleyway has his knife out, and in his eyes you can see he wants to taste your blood. YOU CAN'T SUMMON A FIREBALL! What do you do?!" That situation would seem really novel.
  • Posted By: hans chung-ottersonWe would play games & make up stories about a world where magic wasn't real.
    Conversely, we would also play games where magic was beyond what we could do.

"Imagine a group that has the ability to leap between entire worlds using only their magic!"
    "Imagine a type of magic that didn't cost you life-force to use!"

Of course this applies to fiction in general.

Aside from setting, I think the games we play will be pretty much the same, unless this magic has made us something other than human.
  • Another thing that comes to my mind is, what would we use Story Games for? the creation of fiction, the set-up of a particular experience could, i guess, have some meaning or use for mages... maybe, gaming as an ordeal and passage rite for initiates? gaming as some kind of philosophic experiment, to reflect and expand on a theme with a group of other mages? game as a ritual to create a particular image or effect?
  • Or maybe the games about wizards would just be even more fantastic. Wizards have to have wizards to daydream about, too!
  • We would capture interloping adventurer-thieves, lock them together in a glass labyrinth, and force them to fight escalate passionately!
  • Step one: diceless. Because I don't fucking trust wizards.

Step two: run the module blind. Because I don't know which of you assholes can read my mind.
  • I would summon an unholy being from beyond the Wall of Screams...Ia! Mezathalix, the Horned One, his eyes blazing with hate, his form obscured by coruscating waves of power, ready to crush the cities of man at my command...

...and have him run Bunnies and Burrows for us.
  • Screw that idea, if I'm a wizard I'm not messing with story games I'm getting into the monster making business. Gonna whip up some Owlbears, and not those crappy D&D ones if I'm mixing Owls and Bears those fuckers are gonna fly!!! Octo-Sharks, exploding slime creatures, you know the good stuff.
  • I think that if we knew how to travel through time, we'd engage in super detailed LARPs to prepare the chronotraveller for their destination time period.

So if someone were to be traveling back to 17th Century France to make sure a certain wedding never took place, they'd LARP 17th Century France for many months, to prepare for this great voyage through the sea of time.

Chronotravellers would have a very short career, because the lurking insanity that comes with time travel would make it difficult for them to distinguish between larp and reality.
  • Oh, and most of us would be dead, because The RPG Pundit (though, in this alternate dimension, he's called Lord Hatespew) would have death-hexed us by now.
  • Posted By: ColinCI would summon an unholy being from beyond the Wall of Screams...Ia! Mezathalix, the Horned One, his eyes blazing with hate, his form obscured by coruscating waves of power, ready to crush the cities of man at my command...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! Man, it is spooky when you do that, right down to the Bunnies and Burrows. Are you sure you're not a wizard already?
  • Posted By: ccreitzPosted By: ColinCI would summon an unholy being from beyond the Wall of Screams...Ia! Mezathalix, the Horned One, his eyes blazing with hate, his form obscured by coruscating waves of power, ready to crush the cities of man at my command...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! Man, it is spooky when you do that, right down to the Bunnies and Burrows. Are you sure you're not a wizard already?

[hides conical hat and starry robes in closet] Of course not, that would be absurd!
  • Did you know that we are all the biggest fucking dorks ever?

Step back for a second... Wow.

We are big dorks.

Ok, as you were, keep it up.
  • I would have my NPCs played by golems.
  • If We Were Wizards Playing Story Games...

...The cool Wizards would still think we're weird but be secretly jealous, because when we retire we'll have even more time to sit around killing orks and shit, while they talk about their latest bm.*

*My jock brother told me this after he got drunk at a family get-together.
  • Posted By: John PowellIf We Were Wizards Playing Story Games...

...The cool Wizards would still think we're weird but be secretly jealous, because whenweretire we'll have even more time to sit around killing orks and shit, while they talk about their latest bm.*

*My jock brother told me this after he got drunk at a family get-together.
    Your brother is a wizard? Cool!
  • John,

You've got me thinking about founding Geriatricon all over again...