The Golden Geek Awards

Lots of Story-Gaminess littering the nominee list over at GeekDo's 2010 Golden Geek Awards. Scroll down to the RPG section, and you'll find:

RPG: Game of the Year
Diaspora
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space
Dragon Age
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition)
Fiasco
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
A Penny for My Thoughts
Time & Motherfucking Temp!!!
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition)

RPG: Best Artwork & Pres.
The Armitage Files
Dark Sun Campaign Setting
DC Adventures Hero's Handbook
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space Core Set
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 2: Our World
Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook
Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition RPG
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set

RPG: Best Supplement
Adventure Burner
The Armitage Files
Big Damn Heroes Handbook
Cthulhu Invictus (2009 Edition)
Dark Sun Campaign Setting
The Day after Ragnarok
Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters
Player's Handbook 3
Shadows over Filmland
Tomb of Horrors

RPG: Best Free Game
44: A Game of Automatic Fear
The Bremen Town Musicians
Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook
Ghost/Echo
GRIMDARK
Gym, Tanning, Laundry: The Jersey Shore Role-playing game
Lady Blackbird
The One Page Dungeon Codex 2009
Retrospect
Shakespearead

RPG: Best Podcast
2d6 Feet in a Random Direction
Actual People, Actual Play
The Canon Puncture Show
Dungeons & Dragons Podcast
Fear the Boot
Narrative Control
Theory From the Closet
The Voice of the Revolution
The Walking Eye Podcast
YSDC: Cthulhu Podcast

Now I know what you're all thinking. "I can't believe Time & Temp got snubbed on a presention and/or artwork award again? WTF people? WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?!?!?"

It's okay, it's okay. I've made my peace with it. As should you. The world just isn't ready for that much beauty.

However, it was nice of them to nominate it for RPG of the year. So to return the favor, Time & Temp is on sale.

Comments

• Congratulations to all the nominees.
  • Those are wonderful lists. I'm really happy Fiasco made the cut.
  • Eppy,

Sweet! Also, I seem to have an older edition, just Time & Temp. How much has changed between that and Temp & Motherfucking Temp? Do I need to get T&MT? I'm excited about trying it out!

- Ryan

(Seriously, congrats folks. I echo Will & Jason's sentiments.)
  • Eppy, that Cha-ching! you just heard was me ordering T&T: Unbound Edition. Congrats!
  • Congrats to all.
  • What's the deal with these awards? I've never heard of them.
  • The RPG categories are brand new this year.
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinSweet! Also, I seem to have an older edition, just Time & Temp. How much has changed between that and Temp & Motherfucking Temp? Do I need to get T&MT? I'm excited about trying it out!
    The conversion from Time & Temp to Time & Motherfucking Temp!!! should occur automatically the moment the game is up for a game of the year award.
    Posted By: John PowellEppy, that Cha-ching! you just heard was me ordering T&T: Unbound Edition. Congrats!
    That's what I like to hear. This sale might have been my single most shining moment of business acumen. If they keep flying off the shelves at this rate, I'm going to need to use both hands to count the number I've sold this month.
    Posted By: J. WaltonWhat's the deal with these awards? I've never heard of them.
    They're clearly the most discerning and prestigious award in the industry. One need only to look at the nominees to realize this.
  • In all seriousness, I'm a bit dumbfounded to find Time & Temp should to shoulder with the other titles there. 100% of my misguided enthusiasm here is a product of how highly I regard many of the other games listed.
  • edited October 2010
    Posted By: Epidiah RavacholIn all seriousness, I'm a bit dumbfounded to find Time & Temp should to shoulder with the other titles there. 100% of my misguided enthusiasm here is a product of how highly I regard many of the other games listed.
    I feel the same way with the podcasts.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Guys,

I'm one of the volunteers over on RPG Geek helping to build community and the database. This is our first year of Goldengeek awards for the RPG side (the awards have been running on the Boardgame side since 2006). Last year we were only 2 months old when the Geekies came up and we were knee deep in building the community, the database and generally trying to hold it all together. This year we're on much more stable ground and have built up a nice community which covers a wide variety of gamers - both traditional and non-traditional (for lack of a better term) role-players.

To give some insight into the award process... the nomination period ran from September 1st to 30th, 2010. Any game/book in our database was eligible so long as it was released in 2009 or 2010. For "Game of the Year", the core book had to be release in 2009 or 2010. The only glitch with this has been Dungeons & Dragons 4e which was originally released in 2008 but was marked eligible due to the release of the new 4e Essentials line. In our database hierarchy we consider the Essentials line to be close enough to 4e to not warrant a new RPG parent - but it has caused some confusion so we may rethink this (at least for the awards). We've told voters that when you vote for 4e, you are, essentially, voting for the new Essentials lineup.

Now that the nomination process is over, the top 10 games/books in each of 5 categories is up for voting. To vote, we do require that the person

a) be a member of RPG Geek (or BGG - same username works on both) and
    b) either have a supporter badge (for any year), an avatar (which would have cost 30gg) or put up a one time fee of 20gg.

The later (b) rule is to prevent people from making mock accounts and simply voting only to never been seen again. If anyone nominated reading this signs up at RPG Geek, simply contact me (username=wavemotion) and I'll happily personally fund your avatar so you can vote.

I also realize that no list of nominees will go unscrutinized. This award (like any) is simply a popularity contest of the RPG Geek community. Having said that, we are working hard to make the awards meaningful (the hardware that comes along with the award is substantial and really worth displaying) while having a bit of fun with the process along the way (in terms of generating discussions, etc).

I love that the RPG folks (and especially the story-gamers) have been tweeting up a storm. We seem to have (at least temporarily) outpaced the BGG side in terms of social media discussion ;)

http://twitter.com/search?q=Golden%20Geek%20OR%20RPG%20Geek

Now... I'm off to add Time & Motherfucking Temp to our database as that edition seems to have escaped us!

--
    Dave Bernazzani
    @rpggeek
  • I nominated all the indie games in those lists, plus a few others that didn't make it so there must have been some more support from others.
  • Time and Temp is a hoot. We've given it lots of play.

It turns out you have to pay rpggeek.com some money for voting privileges for this award, but I am pleased with multiple nominations.
  • edited October 2010
    It turns out you have to pay rpggeek.com some money for voting privileges for this award, but I am pleased with multiple nominations.
    True, if you've been a supporter at least once in the past 10 years, you're eligible to vote. But that's only one way to be eligible - you can simply have an Avatar or "pay" a 20gg fee. Geekgold is a reward system that is highly controversial both within the site and externally. It's really very simple - when you contribute to the site you receive geekgold (both from the system, but also from tips - for example when you answer a question that helps another Geek user, you are likely to receive a few geek pennies). Anyone that has spent any real time on the RPG Geek finds it easy to accumulate geekgold - and one of the first things they buy is a full Avatar for their userblock. By having these geekgold restrictions, we are, essentially, saying that we want the user to be a real person and a participating member of the RPG Geek before their vote can be counted (to prevent people from signing up with multiple accounts to vote or simply voting as an anonymous user). Is it ideal? No - especially as I'm working to build a wider community base. Having said that, I "know" many of you from podcasts, actual play, blogs or your contributions to the hobby. Feel free to contact me at the 'Geek (username=wavemotion) and I'll happily fund your avatar personally so you can give an informed vote.

-Dave
  • Posted By: Simon RogersIt turns out you have to pay rpggeek.com some money for voting privileges for this award
    The usual way to get GeekGold is to be an active part of the RPGGeek community, such as by adding obscure games to the database. Posting session reports also gets you GG, and there's no requirement for exclusivity, so reposting old AP reports would be an easy way for a lot of people to get GG.
  • Posted By: wavemotionThe later (b) rule is to prevent people from making mock accounts and simply voting only to never been seen again. If anyone nominated reading this signs up at RPG Geek, simply contact me (username=wavemotion) and I'll happily personally fund your avatar so you can vote.
    So it's cool for nominees to vote? I'm always a little worried about this sort of thing, because I never know what's kosher in each online community.
    Posted By: wavemotionNow... I'm off to add Time & Motherfucking Temp to our database as that edition seems to have escaped us!
    Now I'm tempted to make limited edition copies of Time & Motherfucking Temp.
  • Posted By: Epidiah RavacholPosted By: wavemotionThe later (b) rule is to prevent people from making mock accounts and simply voting only to never been seen again. If anyone nominated reading this signs up at RPG Geek, simply contact me (username=wavemotion) and I'll happily personally fund your avatar so you can vote.
    So it's cool for nominees to vote? I'm always a little worried about this sort of thing, because I never know what's kosher in each online community
    Yes, nominees can vote. I've added some clarifications about voting to the new RPG Goldengeek discussion thread (we split it off from the main GoldenGeek thread as that was getting fairly Boardgame-centric):

http://rpggeek.com/thread/570952/2010-rpg-golden-geek-awards-discussion-thread

-Dave
  • Let me weigh in again on the GeekGold thing: I have not been not a BGG user for long (a cople of years I think) and I never paid anything. I earned GeekGold creating the games I published in Italy with my Janus Design buddies, and uploading illos from them and photos from our demos... something I would have done anyway :)

Really, if you are enthusiastic in any way shape or form in your rpg/boardgame participation on BGG you already have collected the 30gg you need for the avatar. It's not hard.

(also... Hi Dave! Dave was the first BGG/RPGG admin/mod I interacted with and has always been a cool guy)
  • edited October 2010
    (Hey Ren! Saw your new Italian Fiasco covers uploaded this AM - good work!)

Just to let folks here know that the voting (which is, of course, kept secret) is super tight for the RPG Goldengeeks. In virtually every category it's close across the board. I've seen some twittering where the small guys feel they don't have much chance against the big players but that's really not true as the cross section of 'Geeks is pretty diverse.

Also, we just got the last of the microbadges for the 10 Nominees for best game and best podcast done. It's really hard making these little 16x16 guys look good and our dwarven craftsman have been working overtime. http://rpggeek.com/article/5648251#5648251

-Dave
  • Neat stuff, 'grats all round and...
    um...
    Hey, Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook is free? Anyone got a link?

-Ash
  • Posted By: DestriarchHey, Eclipse Phase Core Rulebook is free? Anyone got a link?
    A creative commons PDF version of Eclipse Phase was released in August (?) 2009 and seeded in torrent form by the authors. They didn't make a lot of noise about it - showed up on some of their twitter feeds and such. I think they wanted to get the word out on what a good game it is - and no better way than to seed legal PDF copies to a few thousand people (plus many of those folks ended up buying a print copy after reading through it). I don't know if the torrents are still running, the copy I got back in August has the Creative Commons license in it. A google search brings up some discussion about this on various boards.

-Dave
  • Yeah, I didn't find anything either :( Oh well!
  • Isohunt and Pirate Bay seem to have the torrent available though I have not tried to download it from them.