South Bay Story Games Day II - The Quickening, 26 Feb 2011

edited January 2011 in Meetups / Conventions
The sequel everyone has been waiting for! If you like Story Games, and can be in the South Bay on the appointed Day, this is the perfect mini-con for you. Like before, the event will be from 11AM to 9PM at Game Kastle in Santa Clara, CA, 26 Feb 2011. We'll use a Google docs spreadsheet for signups again, which you can find at http://bit.ly/f4NQWT .

There will be two slots, a shorter one running 11-2:30, and a longer one from 3:30 to 9. GMs/facilitators, please add games to the sheet as soon as you can, and feel free to add more tables if we need them; everyone else, please feel free to add yourself to any game that still has open slots.

This thread will serve as the "official" announcement venue - there's a Facebook event at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141126522614898, to help make sharing easier - but I'll also be posting at rpg.net. If you know any other forum whose readers would enjoy hearing about the event, please feel free to post there and let us know here. Let everyone know that it's free and a ton of fun! We had a dozen kinds of awesome last time, and I'm confident this one will be even better. Spread the word, and I'll look forward to seeing folks there!

Comments

• edited January 2011
    There should not be an 'f' at the end of the address of the Google doc.

Also, is that for the first one? The games looks rather full for something announced an hour ago.
  • Nice catches, Tim. I've fixed the link. Thanks!
  • I definitely signed up for Freemarket and tentatively signed up for Fiasco, and will rope my buddy Oliver into coming with me.
  • I've signed up for Fiasco in the morning (I'll bring my playsets and can facilitate for a table, as I did last time) and FreeMarket in the evening.
  • edited January 2011
    Remember, everyone - the evening slot is nice and long, with plenty of room to stretch out and run a game that benefits from a somewhat longer session. If you've been thinking about running a game, but been worried about fitting into a four-hour slot at a con, this is a great opportunity. Joey and Noam, thanks!
  • edited January 2011
    How would people feel about my facilitating Perfect, Unrevised in the earlier slot? I just got to play it today, and while we fumbled a few things we had a really good time and through teaching (with obgoblin) I got a much deeper understanding of the ruleset. I could probably teach it, oversee character creation, and play a few cycles in 3.5 hours!
  • I'm definitely going to come. I'm not sure what to run/host, but I'm contemplating some Parsely.
  • DO IT! Do an anthology in the short slot, maybe? Two or three very short games?
  • Posted By: ccreitzhttp://bit.ly/f4NQWT
    Okay, I signed up for a morning slot. I'll basically bring all of the Parsely games and see where it goes. I *may* have an original one of my own to try out by then too.
  • edited January 2011
    Noam, is it cool if I officially make you the Table 0 Fiasco facilitator? Also, are there any other people signed up for Fiasco who would be comfortable facilitating?

EDIT TO ADD: "Table Zero Fiasco Facilitator" sounds like a job title in Paranoia, doesn't it?
  • edited January 2011
    Table Zero Fiasco Facilitator reporting for duty!

I will gladly facilitate Fiasco for friend Computer!
  • Posted By: framweardHow would people feel about my facilitatingPerfect, Unrevisedin the earlier slot? I just got to play it today, and while we fumbled a few things we had a really good time and through teaching (with obgoblin) I got a much deeper understanding of the ruleset. I could probably teach it, oversee character creation, and play a few cycles in 3.5 hours!
    I'm signed up for Parsely right now, Joey, but if there's a lot of interest in this, I would be willing to give you a hand instead.
  • Posted By: obgoblinI'm signed up for Parsely right now, Joey, but if there's a lot of interest in this, I would be willing to give you a hand instead.
    We'll see, then! I'll add it to the list and see what happens; I can always play Fiasco if it doesn't happen.
  • OK, I signed up for Fiasco, and I also signed up to run Hellcats & Hockeysticks in the second slot.

A role-playing game of chaos, anarchy, and decidedly unladylike behavior. You play students at St. Erisian's, an English private school for girls with an unwholesome reputation. cf. http://www.corone.co.uk/mainsite/hellcats/main.htm
  • \m/ _ _ \m/
  • edited February 2011
    Starting to see plenty of signups now on the spreadsheet. Please remember to add your game if you're going to be able to run one, and sooner is better. Thanks!

Also, remember to tell any gamer friends you might have who live near San Francisco - that is, San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, and the surrounding communities - about our event. You could make someone's day!
  • edited February 2011
    Colin--I'm thinking about posting a flier in the Santa Cruz FLGS. Thoughts? I could maybe put some effort into it and design something we can use for every SB Story Games Day we do...
  • edited February 2011
    Joey - Please! That would be hella awesome. (Maybe you should organize an event down in the HMB area, too!)

The key details are date, time, location, and at least one URL (maybe you can use a QR code... I hear the cool kids are all doing that these days), as provided in the OP. Mention that it's free, and that we're looking for GM/facilitators, and that anyone who's interested should just add themselves to the spreadsheet as a player or GM/facilitator as appropriate.

The signup sheet:
    qrcode

This thread:
    qrcode

I like to describe the event as "A celebration of innovative, small-press role playing games" to try to keep the poisonous identity politics words out of the discussion. Make sure to use the title "South Bay Story Games Day II: The Quickening" too, for ease of Googling.

SBSGD III will have to be "The Marsupials", I think. Unless it should be "With a Vengeance".
  • edited February 2011
    If anyone wants a .pdf of the poster I made for to put up in their area, go ahead and send an email to sbstorygames [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll hook you up! The more the merrier.
  • Hm. It looks like there is zero interest in Hellcats & Hockeysticks.

I could run lots of other games. Anyone want to pipe up with stuff they're interested in?
  • John--last time you ran Mouse Guard for us and I had a blast! I'm playing Freemarket in that slot, but if you're willing I think Mouse Guard would attract some attention.

Also, last time there was a pretty strong hankering for Apocalypse World...
  • I'd lean against running the same game twice in a row. I don't have Apocalypse World.

I could do Burning Wheel, Spirit of the Century, or perhaps Blowback (Elizabeth Shoemaker's blacklisted-spy game).
  • Last time, most signups happened in the ten days or so closest to the event, so I wouldn't panic yet.

John, if you want to borrow AW from me, let me know. I have a nice set of printouts and everything. Or hell, if you - or anyone else! - want to run FreeMarket, I could loan you that and run AW myself. Or I could run MLwM or any of the dozen other games on my to-do list. I'm open to just about anything.
  • OK, we're headed into the ten days or so closest to the event, so... come out, come out, wherever you are! I'd really appreciate if you could encourage people to sign up on the sheet as soon as possible so that (1) we can make sure we have enough events to go around, and (2) we can make sure we have enough players to fill the tables we do have. It's a delicate and treacherous dance.

Thanks!
  • I will bring games and bail out of Fiasco to run them if there's need. *gulp*
  • It's pretty last minute, but I've signed up to run Don't Rest Your Head in the afternoon slot, for 2-4 players. I'll try to be more prompt next time.
  • Carl will be in the house, representing the East Bay! Glad to have you.

Just a reminder that SBSGDII:tQ is just four days away, this Saturday. We'd love to see you there! Signups help us organize, but we'll be prepared for drop-ins, of course. Bring friends, let people know.
  • I just hooked Colin up with some exclusive material from the upcoming Fiasco Companion - three new playsets and a new tilt/aftermath package. Here's hoping you get a chance to try it out in Santa Clara! We'll be doing the same thing at Dreamation, across the continent.
  • Jason, it goes without saying, rocks. I'll run off a couple of copies of that material and bring it along.
  • Dude, Jason, right on! Count me in Colin. :D
  • If I can read Microscope fast enough to get a good handle on it, I will facilitate it for the morning slot! This is assuming Perfect doesn't get any takers. If no one is interested in Microscope or I don't read it well enough prior to Saturday, then I'm just gonna play Fiasco w Colin and co. :D
  • Posted By: framweardIf I can read Microscope fast enough to get a good handle on it, I will facilitate it for the morning slot! This is assuming Perfect doesn't get any takers. If no one is interested in Microscope or I don't read it well enough prior to Saturday, then I'm just gonna play Fiasco w Colin and co. :D
    I'd be interested in Microscope, but I definitely want to try out the new Fiasco materials in the morning slot.
  • Brief after-action report. Morning slot had two games of Fiasco and one of Microscope. In the afternoon, a bunch of people had to go, so we only had one game of A Penny for My Thoughts.

The good side was that there was plenty of fun gaming. The bad side was that it was *freezing* in the Game Kastle back room.
  • Posted By: jhkimThe bad side was that it was *freezing* in the Game Kastle back room.
    Sorry! I arranged that so that my FreeMarket players would huddle together for warmth, thus improving immersion. Totally forgot to have them fix it later, when IRL kicked my butt back into the office.

The next event will probably be in May, maybe June. The blast door might be open, admitting a pleasant spring breeze. You'll look back on the frigid conditions of II with fondness. With a fondness.
  • Man our Penny For My Thoughts game was crazy. Crazy fun, but definitely crazy. (We played without a facts and reassurances document.)