[Apocalypse World fanzine] Luxe Eternal: Call for Submissions

edited March 2011 in Story Games
[b]When you love Apocalypse World, roll +cool.[/b]

Re-posted from this Barf Forth Apocalyptica thread.

Luxe Eternal is a fanzine for Apocalypse World. The first issue is going to be released near the end of April. It's quite likely that I'll release another issue 3 months after that.

Luxe Eternal is going to be the home of:
  • new custom playbooks
  • pretty maps
  • thoughtful dissection of AW principles and play
  • con scenarios
  • custom moves
  • fan art and fan fiction
If you're interested in submitting for Luxe Eternal, here's the deal:

1.) Priority goes to things that are being released exclusively via Luxe Eternal.

2.) Each accepted submission is worth 1-barter. 1-barter is the going rate for: a PDF issue. 3-barter is the going rate for: a print issue.

3.) As editor, I'll be working with you to make sure that your piece is polished, of the right length, and of the right tenor for inclusion in Luxe Eternal. Generally, we don't want articles longer than 750 words, nor maps bigger than a half-letter (portrait) page.

4.) With custom playbooks, you have the option to submit it unformatted/without illustration, or formatted/with illustration. If submitted unformatted, I'll format it and work with you to create a playbook illustration.

5.) With everything else, I'll be formatting it and laying it out.

6.) I'm not sure how much the fanzine will cost, per issue. I'd like it to be enough to make 30-50 cents an issue, after printing & paypal fees & packaging & shipping. My best guess, at the moment, is that it'll work out to $3 per copy, or $1 per PDF.

6a.) The reason I want to make coin is because otherwise my incentive for keeping up the work is very low.

TO SUBMIT: Email me at mcdaldno(AT)gmail(DOTT)com, or reply here.

Comments

• Posted By: Mcdaldno2.) Each accepted submission is worth 1-barter. 1-barter is the going rate for: a PDF issue. 3-barter is the going rate for: a print issue.
    That makes me so happy.
  • Why? What value does this zine bring?

I don't understand what role zine's have in the Internet age. Why would I want my content locked up in your zine?
  • I love zines! Lovelovelove!
  • Posted By: ziphtWhy would I want my content locked up in your zine?
    If you don't see the value of a zine, then it doesn't exist for you. That's fine.

For me, it's about a couple things. It's about having a physical product that I can hold and take off the shelf and show people. It's about coming together to celebrate our mutual excitement, and about creating in clusters rather than in isolation. It's about the back-and-forth of creation and response.

The importance of those things isn't universal, nor is the appeal of a little handbound zine thing. That's fine.
  • Zines are the internet before there was an internet. They will remain when the internet has gone.
  • Like cockroaches.
  • edited March 2011
    A thousand exclamation eyebrows to this beautiful project!

& i love the barterness!
  • edited March 2011
    Per Fischer, I agree, Zines and blogs share some need to make, and share. They stem from a common desire.

However the internet encourages us to peer review stuff, to learn from others and remix.
    Zines all too easy encourage elitism, that these ideas are more valid then others.

I can't think of any zines that are still out there, even free ones.

Obviously this is a work of love on your part, I just worry that less playbooks and moves will be shared. Once money gets involved people go kinda crazy, this could easy poison the community.

I would like idea of a best works of the Apocalypse, take stuff that needs a little work, help polish it, add good graphics. That I would gladly pay more then $3 for.

Lastly will you accept content that is covered under a Creative Commons?
  • I poop on your zine Joe.
  • Posted By: ziphtI can't think of any zines that are still out there, even free ones.
    Obviously this is a work of love on your part, I just worry that less playbooks and moves will be shared. Once money gets involved people go kinda crazy, this could easy poison the community.
    I would like idea of a best works of the Apocalypse, take stuff that needs a little work, help polish it, add good graphics. That I would gladly pay more then $3 for.
    Lastly will you accept content that is covered under a Creative Commons?
    There are tons of zines still out there.
    If you were to include poetry chapbooks and fanfic chapbooks, there are even more tons.
    Many urban centers have a yearly zine symposium.
    Others have indie comic conventions (see STAPLE).

I think that passive-aggressive attacks on one another's projects could way more easily poison the community than money.
    Our community is one built upon a foundation of indie publishing; money is already involved intrinsically in it.

The idea that you would pay $3 or more for polished AW content and awesome illustrations... uh, that's what this project is. So, uh, where exactly is the issue?
  • edited March 2011
    Very keen to see this. Not really interested on discussions of "whether" at this point, as there seems to be enough energy. I'm more interested in "how" and "when".

Apart from the many benefits covered above I think a zine will focus people on completing their ideas. "I want to get into the next zine so I need to finish this by ..." I see too many brilliant but half complete projects sitting idle on the forums that I want to include in play.

However I don't see hacks in your list, and there are some brilliant half-finished hacks that I desperately want to play. Some hacks are big enough to be games on their own, but others are smaller and the authors might not publish alone. I think I understand some of the reasons these aren't included, but would you be happy to lay these out?
  • Posted By: WightbredHowever I don't see hacks in your list, and there are some brilliant half-finished hacks that I desperately want to play. Some hacks are big enough to be games on their own, but others are smaller and the authors might not publish alone. I think I understand some of the reasons these aren't included, but would you be happy to lay these out?
    Oh, damn! Hacks are so totally on the table.

At most, I'd want to do one hack per issue. If it's a big hack (Goblin World, Fingers on the Firmament, Necrology, Saga of the Icelanders), then it'd be in an issue that didn't include any other playbooks, I reckon: the hack's playbooks would fill those "slots."

Here's what I imagine an issue including, at this point:

A.) 1-3 articles, each of about 250-1000 words. Breakdowns of how AW principles interact with different elements of social contract, ultra-deep explorations of different facets of the game (see John Harper's "Why Seize By Force is a Peripheral Move"), etc. Not dry theory, nor self-indulgent AP - instead, a middle ground.

B.) 0-3 new playbooks.

C.) 0-2 con scenarios, area maps, and detailed Holdings. You know, "module" stuff.

D.) 0-1 short hacks. If the hack had its own playbooks, that'd replace B.

E.) 2-5 pieces of fan art and fanfic.
  • Joe, would you be interested in a 4-5 page "light hack / reskin" like That Ancient Serpent? Seems like that might fit better than longer stuff, though even Dead Weight could probably fit on a handful of pages if it had to. Having AW as a shared basis makes it easier to minimize the stuff you have to explain.
  • Jwalt,

That looks like precisely the type of thing that Luxe Eternal would like.

If you're interested in having it appear there, email me. I'd want to workshop it with you, and discuss layout possibilities, and discuss art possibilities.
  • Sure. I'd want to playtest it first anyway. Just trying to gage the appropriateness.
  • I love the idea and I am going to submit something. I probably can't start working on it until after Gamestorm though.

Curious what other AW MC's think of "con scenarios". On the one hand I love the idea of detailing a location and a few Threats, a unique vision of the apocalypse that's good to go for a AW con one-shot. In fact, that's the kind of submission that's most exciting to me.

On the other hand I wonder whether such content is antithetical to AW and if it would robs a prospective group of a demo of the RAW AW 1st Session vibe; they've not helped design parts of the world they're going to play in, and the MC has ceded any unique vision for at least part of the game.

And any long-running game is going unlikely to find use for such pre-gen material. I think it would be an interesting challenge to create something that would be broadly useful. At a minimum I think it would be some kind of peripheral place that the PCs might go scavenge or adventure in rather than the hardhold that is the centerpiece of their world.

"Here's some of my barf. There, that's right, put it in your mouth. If you're not feeling particularly inspired, you can vomit forth some of this. I know, I know - maybe it's good barf, but it ain't yours. If you like it, use it."

Not saying a zine shouldn't have this kind of content. I'm totally enthusiastic about it! Just wondering whether others would find it useful. More constructively, what kind of details and elements would make such "con scenario material" more or less useful to you personally?

I ask because I think any answers provided will improve the overall content of the zine for myself and others.
  • I was discussing more focused AW scenarios with folks the other week and was saying that I thought playbooks that represent specific characters ("Mad Doc Rutherford") rather than classes of characters could be really cool, lying somewhere between standard AW and Lady Blackbird. Then you could have Hx questions and pre-gen'd Fronts and Threats that could have real teeth. "When he came to you in confidence, did you tell Rough-Neck that you'd support his coup against Queen Helixx?"
  • edited March 2011
    Glad hacks are in, even if space is limited. I know this will push me even if I don't get anything in, and I hope it will help people finish hacks.

Would love to see specific character playbooks.
  • This is a great idea and I wish you every success, Joe. If you have a rough page count benchmark, you can just publish irregularly when you have enough good stuff to meet it. The "exclusivity" of a physical product seems very much in keeping with the way Vincent is handling bonus material anyway, and zines are the purest labor of love left in the information age. I bet you could get partners in crime in various countries to handle the local distribution, printing out your digital masters and saving on postage. I nominate Tegu for the States.
  • This is awesome and may make me buy apocalypse world!
  • Matt, I'm considering a pseudosolution to that which is a Con scenario that basically just includes a bunch of loaded questions to ask at startup. Working title is "Kill Rolfball", we'll see how it goes at GPNW.
  • Will you also take submissions for other lumpley games? Does the zine also include articles for games you have written?
  • Posted By: Seth DrebitkoWill you also take submissions for other lumpley games?
    Generally no, unless it's about crossing over another game with Apocalypse World - The Watchdog as a new playbook, an oracle for In An Apocalyptic World, etc.
    Posted By: Seth DrebitkoDoes the zine also include articles for games you have written?
    No, with the possible exception of Monsterhearts (an Apocalypse World hack I'm writing).
  • ROLFBALL MUST DIE
  • Haters be damned--I am all about this.
  • Still looking for the answer to the licensing question someone asked above. In particular: what happens to my rights as an author if I'm published in the zine? And: as a reader, what am I allowed to do with the content?
  • This idea makes me smile. Cool. ^_^
  • Posted By: WordmanStill looking for the answer to the licensing question someone asked above. In particular: what happens to my rights as an author if I'm published in the zine? And: as a reader, what am I allowed to do with the content?
    I suggest the easiest way to do this would be to state that all contributions are copyright of their respective contributors (plus AW is copyright by Vincent Baker used with permission). Playground magazine does exactly that, if I remember correctly.

Additionally, the individual freeculture-conscious contributor can well license their own contribution(s) the way they prefer (a few lines of legalese at the end of the article is all you need).
  • Posted By: WordmanStill looking for the answer to the licensing question someone asked above. In particular: what happens to my rights as an author if I'm published in the zine? And: as a reader, what am I allowed to do with the content?
    By default, everything is copyright its author, and authors retain all rights.
    If someone wants to work out a different arrangement, they can.

When people submit a submission, I talk to them about whether they also plan to release elsewhere, and whether they plan to release elsewhere in a similar time & format.
    That will impact decisions about what gets picked, as Luxe Eternal will benefit from having exclusive content...
    but at the same time, it's not the most important decision-making factor on the table, obviously.
  • Joe, one thought might be politely asking contributors to not release their content in another format for at least a year after that issue is released, that would give you time to have subsequent issues out but not feel like an eternal commitment.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonJoe, one thought might be politely asking contributors to not release their content in another format for at least a year after that issue is released, that would give you time to have subsequent issues out but not feel like an eternal commitment.
    Jonathan,

Great idea. At current, rather than making a blanket statement about what people are able to do with their material, I'm just talking it through with anyone who submits something.

Like, Tazio Bettin has agreed to contribute a piece of art that he's already finished, that's already up on DeviantArt. There's no way I'm going to ask him to take it down so I can put it in a fanzine, in exchange for a PDF (estimated retail value: $1). Maybe I ask him not to put it in any other print products for a year. But, that's it.

Tim Ralphs is going to contribute The Shell (a new playbook), which he's been workshopping on Barf Forth Apocalyptica. I don't want for him to silence that discussion... So we've talked about only releasing the fancy PDF via Luxe Eternal, and still carrying on the plain-text conversation at BFA.

So, yeah: at current, my goal is to just work out a sensical arrangement with each contributor, that honors the contribution in question.
  • The fact that a 'zine exists for this game makes me want to get the game more than I already do.
  • Posted By: MummyKittyThe fact that a 'zine exists for this game makes me want to get the game more than I already do.
    Apocalypse World has been one of the most valuable RPG purchases of my life. It doesn't matter how you break "valuable" down, Apocalypse World is still at the top of the list. I've played more games of AW than any other indie game. It's led directly to a hack that I'm crazy enthusiastic about (Monsterhearts). It's taken a stick to my own thoughts about design, and what didn't die emerged stronger. It's brought more sex and sexiness into the story games I play, both AW and otherwise. It's gotten me excited about the crunchy bits of design, again - weapon stats, die tricks, what you need to roll in order to leap out of the vehicle in time before it explodes.... all of it.

Apocalypse World. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Others have said likewise. It's definitely worth your while to buy yourself a copy.

Plus: cool zine.
  • Posted By: J. WaltonI was discussing more focused AW scenarios with folks the other week and was saying that I thought playbooks that represent specific characters ("Mad Doc Rutherford") rather than classes of characters could be really cool, lying somewhere between standard AW and Lady Blackbird. Then you could have Hx questions and pre-gen'd Fronts and Threats that could have real teeth. "When he came to you in confidence, did you tell Rough-Neck that you'd support his coup against Queen Helixx?"
    Lovelovelovelovelove.
  • I don't think this has been asked yet. Will there be a pdf/online version available?
  • The zine idea is awesome Joe, congrats and I'm looking forward to it. I'd love to submit but $3 for a print copy is extremely reasonable.

To the haters: nobody's making you opt in; you are owed nothing.
  • Posted By: RichieI don't think this has been asked yet. Will there be a pdf/online version available?
    That's the current plan, Richie.

I am hoping to do a $1-2 PDF version, and a $2-5 print version.
  • I would be interested in at least the pdf version
  • Posted By: Mcdaldno

6.) I'm not sure how much the fanzine will cost, per issue. I'd like it to be enough to make 30-50 cents an issue, after printing & paypal fees & packaging & shipping. My best guess, at the moment, is that it'll work out to $3 per copy, or $1 per PDF.

Thanks, not asked but it was stated lol.

I'm reading the pdf of the game atm, and loving it. Thinking of doing some artwork for the zine...