Game Design Videos

I have posted the first selection of videos from the Game Design seminar series from GenCon 2006. I think multimedia content like this has the potential to not only help people with publishing, but to use as examples of Actual Play for instructional purposes (of which I will be posting a MLwM session from the same GenCon in the future). Anyone have any other ideas of how to use video for games or things they would like to see?

Ron Edwards and Vincent Baker Get Ideological

Comments

• podcast, podcast, podcast
  • Ross,

You talking like a video podcast? What do you think could be covered that isn't already covered by all the audio podcasts out there?
  • I'd like to see a podcast that's oriented on physically demoing RPGs, providing a visuals for how they work. It's one thing to listen to these demos from GenCon, but with ones that have physical artifacts to move around -- like the chips in Mortal Coil, for example -- I don't feel like they offer up the full picture (as it were).
  • Good idea. I'll have to add that to my punchlist for GenCon 07. I am planning on attending Dreamation in January and several other DiY designers will be there. It would be a good opportunity for me to capture some of that footage.
  • I'd prefer a podcast (hell, just a link to full-length downloadable iPod Video-compatible files*, sod the RSS feed for 'em), as it's easier for me to watch at work and train-commute.

*320x240 Quicktime .m4v file containing H.264 video and AAC audio is the standard, I think.
  • I'd like to see even a short AP of some games. I mean, I love the idea of Capes, but I wouldn't know where to begin if I were to try playing it. Being able to watch a group play it would make a world of difference for me.
  • Keith, you getting all this? Don't forget I'm still writing you a pitch for an audio drama podcast. *wink*
  • Well we recorded the AP for a MLwM game (Myself, Mr. Miller as the Master, Thor, Dro, and Alexander), but I need to sift through the video and edit it together. The tricky thing with an AP vid is you want to distill it down into instructional parts. As we recorded it, Mr. Miller kept explaining exactly what where were doing as we did it to keep things as clear as possible. I haven't gone through all the footage yet, but I think it will be a good learning experience for future pieces too.

Ideally I would also like to work up a short documentary on indie games and the community, but time is a crunch right now with projects so I don't think I will get to start it until the summer.

Russell - I got a list... ;)
  • Posted By: warrenI'd prefer a podcast (hell, just a link to full-length downloadable iPod Video-compatible files*, sod the RSS feed for 'em), as it's easier for me to watch at work and train-commute.

*320x240 Quicktime .m4v file containing H.264 video and AAC audio is the standard, I think.
    warren, just check out The Sons of Kryos. Jeff and Judd made podcasts of the seminars at Gen Con 2005. Scroll down to Game Design Seminar 1 of 3, Game Design Seminar 2 of 3, and Game Design Seminar 3 of 3.
  • Speaking of MLwM, sorry about walking into the shot at the end there. We didn't know you guys were filming in the room. :-)
  • Harper,

There is totally going to be a title card that says:

The Harper Fucks It All Up

Then we get to see you walk by.
  • edited September 2006

John is a movie star too?

::swoons::

Thanks a thousand times over for doing this, Keith! Now I don't have to worry as much that my notes were no good.

• More like a gaffer who got in the shot...

No problem putting it together. Hoping to have the next one up by the end of the week (think it is the Luke and Jared show)...
  • More thanks from here.

The two and a half I watched before I had to come to work were very interesting, and given the distance between me & Gencon probably the only way I'll see any of these seminars for the next few years.
  • Thanks, Kieth!

I believe there's a video podcast out there that reviews board games. (The name escapes me at the moment.) One of the problems with audiocasts is that it's hard to get across certain concepts in a game review, especially with the more abstract board games. (Believe me, describing board game rules in text without visuals is pretty awkward.) With so many RPGs out there adopting more elements from board games, a video podcast focused on RPGs becomes an increasingly valuable resource.
  • Rain of Bastards

I kid cause I love, these two assholes I recorded talking about game design. That's right Jared Sorensen "not Sorenson like the codec" and Luke "Wrath of" Crane give us 8 segments of material from GenCon 2006. Watch and listen to these boys give general advice on game design as well as help a few folks go over their games.

Do-It-Yourself Game Design Seminars: Jared and Luke (An 8 Part Series)
  • I'm having a pretty hard time making out the audio in these things, does anyone else have that problem?

• Posted By: DanielSolisI believe there's a video podcast out there that reviews board games.
    Board Games with Scott.

--Paul
  • Scott is one of my professors at Syracuse.

Funny.

Small world.