A Free Game to use as a tie-in?

edited April 2011 in Story Games
So, Ropecon at the end of July: I'm thinking of messing with the ancient order of things and going as a food grill proprietor instead of games salesman. My grilled sandwiches are the best in protestant Europe, modestly speaking, so I figure that this'll be a nice change of pace; I'm especially happy about the thought that even the most hardcore rpg fanatic probably won't feel the need to get bitchy to a food vendor, even if their sandwiches are bad wrong fun and don't involve a Game Master.

Of course I'll be selling some roleplaying games on the side (free sandwich for every 25 € rpg purchase!), too, and I'm thinking of a Happy Meal style tie-in deal: buy my Three Animals Sandwich Menu, and you'll get a small roleplaying game on the side. I have some prospects cooking in this regard, but in case I'm ignoring something obvious, do you have any ideas? I'm looking for a game that is either available under an open license or that the author is willing to let us use for this under a non-existent licencing fee; I'm pretty confident that I can find some quite acceptable games for this without having to pay for the licence. Perhaps the rights-owner might consider this sort of thing as free advertising for their game, who knows. I'm shooting for a total of 200 or so tie-in pieces of 2-4 different varieties, so I'll probably end up making these on an office printer, and therefore larger games are pretty much out of the running; I'm trying to keep my expenses under 1 € per copy here. (Of course if somebody has excess copies of their cheapo game in hand and want to mail them to us, that's good, too.)

My current thinking revolves around Fables of Camelot and perhaps some sort of D&D lite spin-off that I might write myself based on my new campaign. I might also do something with Solar System, if I'm reduced to writing my own tie-in. I'd be surprised if I can't find other exciting alternatives, though, what with the free games scene having been so active through the last couple of years.

Comments

• You're welcome to use Cthulhu Dark for this, if you like.
  • You need to offer Cthulhu Dark, customized with sandwich-based resolution. If you have an elder sign panini press you are golden, Eero.

Stoke-Birmingham 0-0 seems ideal for sandwich eating.

A sandwich and its consumption makes an excellent timer.

If you randomize placement of, say, pickle and hot pepper within the sandwich, each bite becomes a randomizer.
  • The Year of Living Free has a list of open games. You'll want Public Domain, Creative Commons Attribution or CC Attribution-ShareAlike licences on the games since you're using them commercially. Ghosts, The Plant and the Logic of Tales and Dreams (PDF) are all CC Attribution, written by story gamers, and short-and-sweet.

To my knowledge Fables of Camelot is not open licensed -- would you be contacting the author directly for permission?

Love the idea, by the way.
  • Ah, I'm the (co-)author of Fables of Camelot - don't think there's much of a problem there ;) It fits this purpose pretty well, but as Sami (the other author) is working up a garage version of the game for Ropecon, the issue is basically whether I can negotiate a good enough deal with him to print up another 50-100 copies for me to distribute alongside delicious foodstuffs. Fortunately there are other good options to go with, so if we come to conclude that it's better to not dilute Sami's project in this way, I don't have to.

But yes, Cthulhu Dark - I was thinking about it for this, and now I've read it; works fine (good work, perhaps I should comment in length somewhere else), especially if I combine it with a short (convention-sized) adventure to give it just a little bit of bulk. Perhaps translate into Finnish while I'm at it - I'd like to have perhaps one tie-in option in English and the others in Finnish for the optimal language distribution. No big deal to do more English, of course, as long as at least one option is in Finnish for the children who don't grog English.

More options are welcome! Especially, what's the state of the art in OSR-style dungeoneering, has somebody already made something mini-sized that I should be using for this? I might ask Jim Raggi if he'd like to co-write something with me, or I could just put down some notes on what I'm currently playing, but let's consider the field, first.
  • As for panini-presses, I don't have the Elder Sign, but I do have Spongebob Squarepants.
  • edited April 2011
    Posted By: Eero TuovinenAs for panini-presses, I don't have the Elder Sign, but I do have Spongebob Squarepants.
    You have the anti-Elder Sign, then...
  • Posted By: Eero TuovinenBut yes,Cthulhu Dark- I was thinking about it for this, and now I've read it; works fine (good work, perhaps I should comment in length somewhere else), especially if I combine it with a short (convention-sized) adventure to give it just a little bit of bulk. Perhaps translate into Finnish while I'm at it.
    You're very welcome to do this. I'd like a Finnish translation. (It's very short to translate).

Jason has written a short Cthulhu Dark scenario. If he's willing, you can use that. You could also write your own scenario, which would make me very happy.
  • Yes, you can have mine (it's unbelievably incredible), provided you translate it into Finnish. But writing your own would be even better, because I'd like to play it.
  • If any of the free games on my website are of any interest to you, please make copies and distribute them how you please. :-)
  • Eero, awesome idea! I won't be coming to RopeCon this time, not yet, because of another convention occurring in Italy simultaneously. But I want to go there sometimes — and I want to visit Finland. Probably in 2012. Also, this sandwich & games idea is the most awesome thing. Yes it is.
  • I don't know how much interest there would be in mine, but you're welcome to them if you want - you can find them either on the Year of Living Free Wiki mentioned above or this thread here.
  • Ropecon is good times - best times you can have north of Reeperbahn, I'd hazard, despite the unearned reputation for lewdness that Fastaval enjoys. Ropecon with my sandwiches in it will be even better, I believe. Should the lure prove too strong for anybody here, let us know and we'll see about getting you sandwiched and quartered at the end of July.

We have pretty good lists of free and free-ish games here, so this part of the project seems to be well on its way. I'll do some triage on these for a while and see how the rest of the puzzle comes together - we still need some permissions and such, and I need to perfect my cardamom bun french toast to get a dessert option on the menu. Still looking for that mini-sized OSR game - I can't believe I'm the only one who's been fiddling with that lately.
  • Posted By: Eero TuovinenStill looking for that mini-sized OSR game - I can't believe I'm the only one who's been fiddling with that lately.
    Do you know Microlite20, Eero? (page)