[How Do I] Sell POD for charity?

edited April 2011 in Story Games
I have a question for those of you versed in selling POD books and/or giving to registered charities!

If I want to sell a book through POD for a small profit and I want that profit to go to a charity, and I want that process to be transparent, what's the best way to go about doing that?

What's the best POD company to use for something like this?

Can I just send the profits to a charity via paypal or something?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• If I want to sell a book through POD for a small profit and I want that profit to go to a charity, and I want that process to be transparent, what's the best way to go about doing that?
    You could just put it on CreateSpace or Lulu.
    What's the best POD company to use for something like this?
    Either CreateSpace or Lulu would work.
    Can I just send the profits to a charity via paypal or something?
    Call the charity and tell them what you're doing. They'll tell you how best to give: they may be able to claim tax back or something.

They'll probably send you a letter or something to thank you. You can then send that to your donors. This is a good thing: it encourages people to give again.

Rather than selling a book, do consider selling PDFs instead (or as well). The great advantage is that you needn't mess around with print-on-demand services, transparency and so on. You can just use a PayPal button and donate all the takings to charity.
  • Thanks Graham. Would CreateSpace or Lulu allow me to set it up so instead of sending the profits to me they just go straight to a charity?
  • I don't think so.

With all these things, the key is to keep it as simple as you possibly can. Just get them to send you money and pass it on to the charity.

The great advantage of CreateSpace is that your book gets listed on Amazon.
  • Here's what happens with me:

I get a Paypal transfer from Lulu into my personal account every so often.

Twice a year I review sales of charity books, add up the numbers, and make a personal paypal donation directly to MAG. I share this information with Matthijs, obviously, and post about it. This isn't 100% transparent but it is very simple, and there's a trail of documentation.