'damage' ... performance...recovery - mechanics or guidance?

edited April 2011 in Story Games
So a character is down on hitpoints of their equivalent. Or a character is down on confidence points or their equivalent.

Either way they are operating under duress now. Either physical or mental.

How do you handle that in terms of:

a) ongoing performance
b) recovery

With regard to ongoing performance, you can apply penalties to dice rolls, but specifically, what about those situations that, for whatever reason, involve conflict but you dont roll dice for.. for reasons of pacing or significance, etc...

Comments

• In FUBAR, I do this from a purely narrative perspective.

A minor impairment leaves a character down by a trait for a scene.

Increasing the severity of the impairment increases the penalty applied or the duration (scene, act, story, permanent).

Everything in FUBAR comes down to traits, if it doesn't come down to traits then it isn't worth noting and doesn't impact the ongoing potential of the character.

It's the way I'm going in a few of my other games as well (whether designing this way, or GMing this way in "traditional" games).
  • edited April 2011
    What is your game about?

Or what kind of game do you want to play?

I ask, because depending on the answer, you may gain bonuses (instead of penalties) when you are wounded or any range of almost infinite possibilities.
  • Yeah, I'm with John: this question is really vague. Do you just want examples from different games? What's your real question here?
  • Im trying to work out the best way to approach it for my game, but I didnt want to bore anyone overly with its details, or send the thread down a particular path.

Are there any games you have played that you think handle this subject particularly well? how?

Do you have any firm opinions on the subject? what are they?

For my game, I try to take my cue from books and movies in most areas, but that isnt helping me for this.
  • I think Chronica Feudalis handled wounds/duress/disadvantaged conditions quite well, by making them into traits (maybe they used a different term? I can't remember, and the PDF-created book is hiding on a shelf somewhere). Basically, from a mechanical standpoint, they acted as a counter to normal traits. Non-mechanically, because they were traits, they described the character's condition, whether bleeding, angry, confused, etc.
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinI think Chronica Feudalis handled wounds/duress/disadvantaged conditions quite well, by making them into traits (maybe they used a different term? I can't remember, and the PDF-created book is hiding on a shelf somewhere). Basically, from a mechanical standpoint, they acted as a counter to normal traits. Non-mechanically, because they were traits, they described the character's condition, whether bleeding, angry, confused, etc.
    Pretty smart for a stupidgremlin
  • FATE-based systems do a similar thing with Consequences.
  • In a more traditional vein, EABA (by Greg Porter) has the damage you take (your wounds) turn into armour.

So, the more wounded you are, the harder it is to wound you more.

I think the idea is that when someone's had their arm cut off and taken two bullets through the chest another light wound doesn't really make a difference.

It's elegant in an interesting way of its own.
  • Posted By: stefoid
    Pretty smart for a stupidgremlin
    It's just because I can't come up with original ideas of my own. But I love collecting the ideas of others. Just wish they were easier to organize and reference.
  • edited May 2011
    Well, I playtested with this addition -- I think its better than any idea I had. One player got a bit beaten up, only had to buy 1 point worth of harm effects both times, and chose ringing ears one time and spots before eyes the second time. I didnt really get a chance to work those into play because he recovered pretty quickly. But in general, I like the idea. maybe my 'effects' need more work. I let the players choose their own poison.

BODY EFFECTS:
    Can’t run 1 point
    Can’t walk unassisted 3 points
    Involuntary groaning/coughing 1 point
    Dizzy / stunned 2 points
    Blood spot trail 1 point
    Seeing spots 1 point
    Ears ringing 1 point
    Preferred arm limp 2 points
    Non-preferred arm limp 1 point
    Weak 1 point
    Off balance 1 point
    Exhausted 1 point
    Severe pain 1 point

SOUL EFFECTS:

Shaken 1 point
    Fearful 1 point
    Despairing 2 points
    Paranoid 1 point
    Defeated 1 point
    Withdrawn 1 point
    Anguished 2 points
    Terrified 2 points
    Depressed 1 point
    Intimidated 1 point
    Low self esteem 1 point
    Self hatred 2 points
    Guilty 1 point
    Shamed 1 point
  • I kinda like what you've got here. I'm not sure what mechanics you're dealing with, or what kind of time frame the injured character recovered in. But just looking at the terms used, I get an immediate idea of how a character would be affected, and how that might make things complicated for their future actions. Especially with the players choosing the specific effects...I like that a lot, actually.
    I'd be very interested in seeing where this goes, even if it is just another great idea I can archive.
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinI kinda like what you've got here. I'm not sure what mechanics you're dealing with, or what kind of time frame the injured character recovered in. But just looking at the terms used, I get an immediate idea of how a character would be affected, and how that might make things complicated for their future actions. Especially with the players choosing the specific effects...I like that a lot, actually.
    I'd be very interested in seeing where this goes, even if it is just another great idea I can archive.
    Yeah, the idea is not to catalog the injury, but how 'whatever it is' impedes the character.

I might remove spots/ringing and just have dizzy/stunned. I think those were too generous.
    Severe pain should be 'slowed or retarded by pain' I think

thanks again