DEXCON 14 - smokin' hot gaming in July

It’s springtime, which means DEXCON will be upon us soon! DEXCON 14 will be held at the Morristown Hyatt in Morristown, NJ from Friday, July 6 to Sunday, July 10, 2011. Will you be there? Do you dare to have that much fun?

There will be an Indie Games Explosion at DEXCON. Dozens and dozens of the most blisteringly awesome independent games will be run at the con.

However, the Explosion needs your help! We need you to come to the con and play games. We need you to come to the con and RUN games! Here’s how:

Come and play
If you just want to come to Morristown and have a blast, here’s how you can help make the Explosion great:

1) Go to the registration page and pre-register for the con.
2) Watch this thread for announcements of what events people are planning to run.
3) When the official schedule is up, around June 27 to June 29, register for the games you want to play.
4) Come to Morristown and bring your A-game!

Come and run
The nitroglycerin at the heart of every Indie Games Explosion are all the great folks who come out with a game in hand, ready to rock the house. If you’ve got a game session in your soul, burning to get out, here’s how you can help:

1) Post your event description here, or on your blog, or wherever the kids are chattering these days. Get people excited about your game.
2) Send an e-mail to the IGE gmail account: indiegamesexplosion At that point, Kat will send you a Google document that contains all the information we need from you in order to officially register the event. Fill it out and return it BEFORE May 15, 2011.
3) If you run at least three events, you will receive a GM badge to the convention. At some point in June, we will send you a code you can use on the registration page.
4) When the official schedule is up, around June 27 to June 29, register for the games you want to play.
5) Come to Morristown and revel!

A Note on Small Events
Games sessions for 4 players are a bit of a sticky situation. On the one hand, they take up an entire table for an entire gaming slot while only entertaining a few people. On the other hand, some of the best indie games are only built for 4 and create less fun for everybody if expanded. It’s a pickle.

I thought Dreamation went pretty well, so I'm going to do the same thing. I’m going to ask you to consider running sessions for 5 or 6 players. By “consider,” I don’t mean “you must” or “you should” or “you will be shunned unless.” I simply mean “think about it.” Step away from the Internet for a moment, look at your game shelf, and ask yourself if you have a 5 or 6 player game you’ve been wanting to run. Can you stretch your abilities in that direction? Do you want to? Can you run Game A for 6 players in addition to running Game B for 4 players?

I can’t answer those questions. I’d just like you to answer them for yourself and your own situation. If the answer is “I want to run a bunch of 4 player games,” then that’s great and we want you on-board for the Explosion.

Playtests
While DEXCON can certainly host playtests, and has done so very successfully in the past, this year will see the dawn of METATOPIA, a convention devoted completely to playtesting. If your game is ready, submit it with the word "playtest" in the description. If it still has some kinks, I'd suggest holding off until November.

Assorted Other Stuff
We have in the past held an Indie Games Roundtable on Sunday to discuss games in development and other matters. Is there anyone willing to facilitate it?

I’m posting this on Story Games, but there’s probably other places on the Internet that might want to get involved. If you know of such a place, please invite them to participate. The more, the merrier.

None of the above is set in stone. If you’ve got suggestions, I want to hear them. Kat and I will be doing our best to monitor these threads for questions and the like. However, if we haven’t responded in timely fashion, please e-mail the indiegamesexplosion address with a link to the question. Thanks for your help.

See you in July!

Comments

• So what games are people thinking of running?

I will probably run a session or two of Remember Tomorrow..
    It was great fun at Dreamation.

I like to switch up what games I run, so I gotta think about what other game I want to run..
  • Still deciding on what to run.

I know I'll be running some Fiasco and I have a Dread(Jenga) scenario that should be fun.

I'm also looking at running some PTA, since Smallville didn't seem to generate as much interest as I had hoped at Dreamation, and its requires alot of prep.
  • I have mastered New Jersey Transit and the various NYC plagues I was infected with when I first came here, so I think I'll make it down. If I commit, I will run The Final Girl.
  • If you run at least three events, you will receive a GM badge to the convention.
    Your GM guidelines says otherwise:
    Double Exposure will give you one free Complete Membership per 128 man-hours of planned GM/Director time... A man-hour is defined as entertaining one player for one hour. So a 4-hour game which is planned for a maximum of 8 players will count as 32 man-hours towards your free Membership.
    If I'm reading that right, I'd have to offer my typical four hour, six player session at least six separate times to earn admission to the con. That's a bit steeper commitment than I can make, and frankly a disincentive to submit events at all. Clarification appreciated.
  • Yeah you can pretty much just ignore that formula.

I'll run stuff.
  • Not that I don't trust you Deliverator, but are you offering that info in an official (or at least informed) capacity? I'm not eager for any registration-table surprises.
  • I've run stuff using michael and kat's formula, as opposed to the official one, lots of times and always got my free badge.
  • As have I. From what I understand if you sign up as a GM through Indie Games Explosion the man-hours requirement is waived.
  • edited May 2011
    As have I. From what I understand if you sign up as a GM through Indie Games Explosion the man-hours requirement is waived.
    What are the parameters to be part of the Explosion? I've never been involved with it before. I'm looking at running some mix of Mini Six, ZeFRS and Stars Without Number and while all are technically independent, I'm not sure they're slickly Indie enough.
  • Posted By: E.T.SmithAs have I. From what I understand if you sign up as a GM through Indie Games Explosion the man-hours requirement is waived.
    What are the parameters to be part of the Explosion? I've never been involved with it before. I'm looking at running some mix ofMini Six,ZeFRSandStars Without Numberand while all are technically independent, I'm not sure they're slicklyIndieenough.

Indie as in small-press, non-mainstream game. Don't worry about "slickness" or "being indie enough"; everybody loves everybody at Dexcon. Just be prepared for conversations like this. Me or someone like me: "What are you doing today?" You: "Running Stars Without Number." MOSLM: "What is that?" "Old-school space opera like D&D in space" [or whatever]. MOSLM: "Awesome" (or "Awesome!" or "Yeah . . . awesome," depending on who you're talking to).

Just write a good blurb, get your info to Michael and Kat, and show up ready to run the hell out of that SOB.
  • So how are the indie games usually distributed time-wise? We're all pumped now after Nerdly and are trying to figure out if we're going/how to work it.
  • LAST CALL FOR GMs

The Indie Games Explosion Event Chart Is up:
    http://igewiki.ipressgames.com/pmwiki.php?n=Dexcon14.EventChart

There are about 4 Gms who are still giving me their information that have yet to be listed on the event chart and as you can see there is plenty of room for more events, so if you are interested there is still time to submit events to Dexcon 14.

thank you,
    -Kat Miller