And advice for website/bloggy templates or something?

edited May 2011 in Story Games
Yeah, so its time to make my own game website with a blog or something.

Its been a while since I made my last website in all its 1998 glory. 20th century website

Cant imagine things have changed that much, but just in case they have, any tips?

Comments

• Free: wordpress.com (gives you a sitename.wordpress.com), wordpress.org (software to install on your own hosting)

For pay: Squarespace (awesome, really easy to use, really customizable)

Those are my top recs for building a website without being a code-savvy person.
  • If you can manage a tad more coding (like html formating your own posts) then I'd say drupal is nice. It has WYSIWYG modules you can put into it if your inclined to, and is a beast out of the box.

I have had no problems managing it thus far and have so little coding knowledge that I google the html for my posts more often than not and copy paste.
  • Posted By: ndpFree:wordpress.com(gives you a sitename.wordpress.com),wordpress.org(software to install on your own hosting)

For pay:Squarespace(awesome, really easy to use, really customizable)

Those are my top recs for building a website without being a code-savvy person.
    Cheers, I went with wordpress - a good amount of functionality and templates without requiring too much low-level crap to get it to work. Takes a few hours to get used to where to find all the options to do what you want to do, but once you have done that, its easy as anything to maintain. my attempt

So with wordpress.org, can I just use my own hosting service and that way have it run from my own domain name, but how you administer it stays the same?
  • edited May 2011
    Posted By: stefoidSo with wordpress.org, can I just use my own hosting service and that way have it run from my own domain name, but how you administer it stays the same?
    Pretty much. The additional wrinkle is that you probably need to create your database yourself. Typically, your hosting service will provide some reasonable way to do that (e.g. Plesk). Also, in order to support uploading images for your posts, you need the ability to change the group of certain directories in your installation (to the group the web server is in). This may or may not require root access, depending on your host.

You probably won't care about this for a while, but HTML5 is starting to matter (even though is not fully supported everywhere). What this means to you now is that, when/if you go shopping for WordPress themes, you might want to look for those that use HTML5 principles from the beginning, such as Spectactular or Toolbox. (My "what I'm making" blog is basically Toolbox with a couple of small changes and different CSS.)

Also, some plugins are useful to WordPress. (I'm not sure how much control wordpress.com gives you over these, but you can do whatever you want using your own installation.) Some plugins I find useful: