Give me (generic) Adventure Hooks!

edited May 2011 in Make Stuff!

These are the constrains:

It has to be a short action adventure. No convoluted plot or excess of named NPC's.
The PC's will be badasses who will be able to face any opposition thrown at them. The adventure is meant to be a challenge, but the players will be able to decide when and how to fail (if ever).
It has to have a climatic showdown (of any kind).
It has to have a clear goal and the players must get a McGuffin out of it (which can be either the goal or a reward for reaching the goal).

Extra:

If you propose more than one adventure, you can link them through NPC's, themes or concepts. There is no need to worry about anachronisms, genre, time period, style or "realism". Any action genre will do. (Think Sucker Punch.)

This is the format:

[Quest]
[Scenario]
[Twist] (this is optional)
[Boss-Fight]
[McGuffin]

Examples:

Quest: Follow the White Rabbit (and capture him).
Scenario: The PC's are trapped in a weird and surreal land, where all the creatures and entities seem to come from classical games and nursery rhymes.
Twist: Native people from this land cannot die.
Boss-Fight: The Red Queen of Hearts and her feral pet Were-Rabbit.
McGuffin: The White Rabbit's magical clock

Quest: Rescue the Princess and bring her back to the King. (Preferably alive.)
Scenario: A huge castle on top of a mountain, where dark cultists are sieged by a horde of wolf-riding orcs.
Twist: The Princess is not a prisoner. She is the cult's head priestess. (The King was aware of that.)
Boss-Fight: The cult's summoned Demon Lord.
McGuffin: The Princess' circlet (which is the Key to a heavenly Gate).

Quest: Steal the Duke's Golden Heart.
Scenario: The clockwork city of Mechanisburg and the Duke's gargantuan zepelin/palace.
Twist: It is because of the Duke's firm hand as a dictator that the Empire has endured such a long period of peace. The aristocrats that contracted the PC's to do the job want war.
Boss-Fight: The Duke's Right Hand (a huge steam-powered war construct), either on the Duke's command or going rogue.
McGuffin: The Duke's Golden Heart (a beautiful female shaped construct with the soul of the Duke's beloved daughter).

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Quest: Repel the Alien Invaders!
    Scenario: Retro futuristic capital of Earth is being attacked both outright and through subversion, as a precursor to the alien invasion. It is up to the PC members of a super-science secret society to save everyone...with SCIENCE!
    Twist: The aliens are actually the creation of a renegade Earth scientist, who've returned home after their explorations into space, and are avenging their "father."
    Boss-Fight: The powerfully psychic Alien Queen in her Council Chambers
    McGuffin: Atomic Episolon Ray technology!

(this probably isn't very generic...)
  • It works for me! ^_^

Yes, this is the sort of stuff I'm looking for. As I said, as long as it is actiony and the characters get to be badasses, it's all cool.
  • Quest: Thirty Seconds over Target
    Scenario: The PC's are the crew of a B-17G Flying Fortress and must defend the bird. They've drawn 'tail end charlie', the last plane in the formation and the first to be attacked by fighters. (The crew needs to come up with a nickname for the plane and select positions.)
    [B-17 crew positions]
    Twist: After flying through heavy cloud cover and brutal flak, the crew does not make out the terrain below, they can't spot the rest of the formation, nor do they recognize the enemy fighters attacking them. They hear screaming from the navigator's station.
    Boss-Fight: The bombadier takes over the controls of the plane for his bomb run when something unearthly attacks the plane from the inside with claws that can rend steel.
    McGuffin: Mission accomplished, bombs away. Except for the last bomb stuck in the rack...
  • I like it. (Indeed, I am after that Heavy Metal surrealistic vibe.)

I'm not too crazy about the McGuffin, thou... And do remember that the characters will win in the end.
  • Posted By: zircherQuest:Thirty Seconds over Target
    Scenario:The PC's are the crew of a B-17G Flying Fortress and must defend the bird. They've drawn 'tail end charlie', the last plane in the formation and the first to be attacked by fighters. (The crew needs to come up with a nickname for the plane and select positions.)
    [B-17 crew positions]
    Twist:After flying through heavy cloud cover and brutal flak, the crew does not make out the terrain below, they can't spot the rest of the formation, nor do they recognize the enemy fighters attacking them. They hear screaming from the navigator's station.
    Boss-Fight:The bombadier takes over the controls of the plane for his bomb run when something unearthly attacks the plane from the inside with claws that can rend steel.
    McGuffin:Mission accomplished, bombs away. Except for the last bomb stuck in the rack...
    Thats pretty good.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks, although Tristan is right about the MGuffin. The bomb is kind of a monkey's paw. Too big to carry and they may have to detonate it to 'win'. A more portable gizmo would be the Navigator's maps or the Norden bomb sight which is detachable and the bombardier is sworn to protect from falling into enemy hands.

When I play this hook out in my head, the 'fort' gets beaten to hell by flak, the fighters, and the boss. With a crew of 13, it's easy to kill off the extras for dramatic purposes and the players have to bail out over an alien sky and land in the next 'hook'. :-)
    --
    TAZ

Oh, for the badass factor, everyone except for the pilot and co-pilot have one or more .50 cal machine guns.
  • Quest: Rescue the downed pilot.
    Scenario: Your recon team is on long range patrol. At the normally scheduled time (when the spy sat is overhead), they get a change of mission from high command. Your team is the only one that can get there in time, it's in enemy territory, and a storm is coming right on your back.
    Twist: The wreckage is all wrong. It's not one of ours, it's not one of theirs, the technology doesn't even appear to be man-made.
    Boss-Fight: Whatever shot down this craft has sent in their own 'people'. Apparently they are sore winners as well as sore losers.
    McGuffin: The downed pilot has a thing made of liquid metal that can morph into different shapes and functions.
  • edited May 2011
    Quest: We are thirsty. Save the Hold! Bring that water purifier back.
    Scenario: The PC's have to get out of post-apocalyptic suburbia and go into Smoke-city, a ruined metropolis inhabited by mutants, scavengers and the occasional hunter.
    Boss-Fight: Beat the guys from that other Hold to the last floor of that tall ruined skyscraper (that's where the water purifier is) and get back home with the thing.
    McGuffin: One of the last pieces of functional technology: an Automatic Water Purifier HC-T210 with double acidic filters and bio-hazard neutralizers.