5 minutes game-challenge

edited June 2011 in Make Stuff!
This thread is dead! It consist of 101 games. Quite a record! You are more than welcome to read them, and to play them. Some of them have been tested. Some of those proved to be small gems. Some proved to be broken. But putting a design out there is a gem in itself, so all those contributing to this thread should celebrate, and be celebrated! Huzzah!

The games are the property of the particular posters, so please; be inspired by them, but do not pass them on as your own.

Here is the original paragraph:

"You got 5 minutes to write and post a game here, in this thread, from NOW!"

Comments

• "It all started at The Magic Wok that one night. We had all arrived after the show for some "spicy with cashews" before heading off to our deserving beds. I'll never forget that day. It was the day when it all started, just after she came in and sat down."

Cook Something for You? is a game of Chinese food and remembrances of the hard times to come. The first player should begin by reading the line above and then continue the story. Whenever the story seems to come to a decision or natural turning point in the plot, the next player should take a fortune cookie from the middle of the table, break it in half, give half to the first player and keep half for themselves. They should read the fortune aloud, then use it to interpret the outcome of the first player's narration. That player then becomes the new rememberer and play continues around the table. When the last player's turn comes around, they should wrap up the story and have the first player open their fortune cookie and read the following line.

"...and that's how it happened. Its all common knowledge now but no one knew at the time. I'll never forget those guys, they made all the difference."
  • You have three stats: Escape, Carry, and Fight. You can use one at a time. You can rate them however you want, though the group should agree on the scale. Each time you use your stat it decreases.

The people chasing you and the obstacles in your way have stats of their own: Barricade, Maim, and Murder. However many points the group spends, the GM gets that many dice to use over the course of the one-shot. If he rolls more than your stat you're in deep. If he beats you on two stats you need to be carried or left behind. If he beats you on all three stats, you're dead.

There are a dozen of you. Each player plays one person at a time.

Get out.
  • PICK TWO
    A game of escape for two players.

One player is a prisoner. They say why they have been imprisoned.

The other player is the jailer. They say where the prisoner is.

Starting with the prisoner, each player takes turns describing what they do. The prisoners goal is to escape the jail. The jailor's goal is to break the prisoners will.

When it's your turn, you narrate a brief scenes worth of what your character does, and then (secretly) determine whether you are doing it Quickly, Quietly or Effectively. The other player (secretly) makes a bet on which one you WON'T pick, based on your description of the scene. Once both players have picked, you both reveal. If the other player bet right (that is you, pick the two options other than the one they picked), they narrate how they interrupt, avoid, or otherwise counter the efforts of your character. It is now their turn. If they bet wrong, what you said is what happened, and you get another turn. If you go three turns in a row, the next turn must be the other players.

When the other player bets right, you mark the option that they bet right on. If they bet right on that option again, you cross it off and can't use it - in the future, you can only pick one of the remaining two options. If you cross off two of your options, your next scene will be your final scene, and your opponent gets their goal. For a faster game, cross off the option after one successful bet instead of two.
  • Wow. It's bizarre that Nathan and I both did escape-oriented games. I suspect he didn't read mine before he wrote his, either.
  • Letting Go

Tell me a person you resent, what they're like, and what they did, and I'll tell you a person I resent, and what they're like, and what they did. I play your resented person, you play my resented person, and, strangely enough, the same thing I did that pissed you off, I do again to this person, and vice-versa. But then, after we've hurt each other, we apologize. And then forgive each other.
  • One-Sword!

There's only one-sword in the world! Lady Raven made it, but was killed when someone took it and the sword-making skill was lost forever! You need a dice of the amount of people playing. 4? Use a d4. D20? You gotta find twenty people. This number must match. Everyone has a name that matches a number on the die. Three-Roses, Count-of-Sevens, etc.

Who has the One-Sword? Well, One-Sword does. That's a player and that player must play One-Sword. That character also killed Lady Raven!

Roll the die to see who plays what, until the leftovers are obvious. Then One-Sword's player rolls the die. Whatever number comes up goes to that player. That player gets the die and narrates what their character does and says what they say. The catch is they only get to say 3 sentences! Then they roll the die and whatever number comes up is who gets to narrate next. If you do something involving another character, that character gets 3 sentences next instead. If One is rolled, One-Sword narrates in three sentences how they show up and kill you. Then One-Sword's character rolls the die to keep it going. If One-Sword rolls a One, One-Sword is the ruler of the land and wins. If someone rolls a dead number, then that dead player becomes the new One-Sword who uses 3 sentences to say how a new character takes the sword. The old One-Sword player doesn't get to play anymore and has to be quiet now. Keep playing until the newest One-Sword rolls a one.

Damn, longer than 5 minutes, I think.
  • Bravo!

It's really fun to read these games, while pondering that they took 5 minutes to write (more or less). I'd love to see more of them ...
  • Generic, pulpy adventure system. Regular setup with players and a GM.

Everyone starts out with a certain number of beads (lets say 50, but might get changed according to playtesting). The GM sets the scenario, and produces challenges, with the ability to set difficulties at a certain number of beads. The players decide if the cost is worth succeeding at that particular thing, or failing and progressing down a different path. Naturally the system assumes only challenges for which both success and failure are interesting.

At the end, there's a final encounter with the big bad. The GM no longer gets to set difficulties, and instead can make use of the beads that the players used to get this far. Everyone finds a good way to conceal the beads they'll be playing, because it's a case of whoever bids more on a particular action (either carrying it out or countering it) wins. Death is possible at this point, even before all the beads are used up, as long as the described action could reasonably cause it ("I unload a full clip from my SMG at the mad scientist" would kill him unless the GM spends enough beads to dodge), so there's an incentive not to be stingy.

I haven't been keeping track of time, but I think I'm probably close to the 5 minutes, so I think I'm done.
  • edited June 2011
    Okay, it took half an hour (lunch break), but here's the first game I've ever done...
    Please, be gentle with me...

~~~Let's Kick Donny's Ass~~~~
    ```But Not Kill Him```

Lori

In grade school there was this tiny girl, her skin looked bleached. Her hair was black, shiny. She always wore homemade dresses, dark and plaid. She never talked, she just whispered. Lori coughed a lot, it sounded thick, too large for her small chest. Donny was a bully, one time he caught a stray dog, he held that dog by the tail and spun as fast as he could. The dog whined and cried. Donny laughed. One day it was raining, Miss Wren was gone to get milk for our class. Donny poured glue all over the seat of his chair. We all laughed because he covered the whole seat. His brown eyes were crazy. Lori stood next to me. She was shaking and she coughed, deep. Donny grabbed Lori and jerked her over to the chair. I was still laughing at glue dripping off the seat. Donny shoved her down, her dress sliding into the glue and then rising up. Glue covered her dress and pushed up between her skinny legs. Donny laughed. The class laughed. Lori looked into my eyes. Donny held her down, glue ran down her legs, it dripped on the gray tile. I just stood there, watching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Donny’s a rotten kid. He’s a bully that everyone hates, but everyone is too afraid to fight because he is so darn tough. He’s mean, ugly, and hurts everything he sees.

Today is different. You and your friends have decided to draw the line. This is where it ends. Alone you can do nothing... together? Well, together you’re gonna kick his ass!

There’s a problem though... Donny won’t go down without a fight. In fact, he won’t stop until he is unconscious or dead. This leaves you and your friends in a dilemma. How can you hurt Donny enough to teach him a lesson and not cross the line and make him dead? Even though you, your friends, and everybody you know wants him dead?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Setup:
    Answer these questions:
    • What’s your name?
    • Are you a boy or a girl? (this doesn’t even matter when it comes to Donny)
    • How old are you?
    • What has Donny done to you that makes you so mad?
    • What would you like to do to Donny to teach him a lesson?
    • What is the most secretest secret you have that you don’t want anyone to find out about?

There are Three Things Every Kid Has: Head, Hands, and Heart. Your Head is how smart you are (some kids can think up good plans while others just run from one moment to the next). Your Hands are everything that you can do with your body (from hitting, scratching, running, bashing, etc.). Your Heart is how you feel (happy, sad, hurt, cold, angry, scared, to screaming and saying swears, etc.).

Depending on how old you are, you get to add a point to Head, Hand, or Heart for each year. Roll a “ten sided die” and divide by two (round down even if it is zero [because some kids really suck at everything]), you get to add these points to whichever thing about you that you like.

The Breaking Point:
    Every kid also has a breaking point. Depending on the kid it could be any of the Three Things Every Kid Has. Whichever of the Three Things Every Kid Has has the highest number is what that kid is (smarts, body, or emotions). This is the breaking point and is represented by multiply by two). Example: Jayne has a Heart of 6 so her breaking point is 12, while Kyle has Hands of 5 so his breaking point is 10. Even if someone hit Jayne with a rock and hurt her, she wouldn’t “break” until her Heart rating hit zero. If someone called Kyle names and really hurt his feelings, he wouldn’t hit his breaking point until his Hands rating lowered to zero.

Anything beyond a -3 causes permanent damage (even if it is not one’s personal breaking point). Example. Kyle has Hands of 5 and a Heart of 2. Vincent remembers that when Kyle slept over in Kindergarten he pee’d his sleeping bag. While in the bathroom, during recess Vincent attacks Kyle,

“Kyle, Kyle, Kyle...
    What’s the reason you smile?
    Not cause your better,
    ‘Cause you’re a big fat baby
    Bed Wetter!”

When Vincent rolls for damage (see below for actual conflict resolution) he accomplishes 6 points of damage which drops Kyle to -4. Kyle is crushed and will probably keep the “Bed Wetter” nickname until he’s in Middle School, but Vincent is about to find out what Kyle’s Hands of 5 will do to his Hands of 2 when Kyle opens up his bag of whoop-ass.

Conflict:

How do you do stuff? If it involves being smart use your Head, if it involves doing something use your Hands, and if it involves your Feelings use your Heart.

Either use a d10 or playing cards without the face cards.
    • If you are attacking you want to roll higher than your enemy’s Head, Hands and Heart.
    • When you are defending you want to roll lower than your Head, Hands, or Heart.
    That’s all there is to it... Roll lower than your Three H’s if you are doing something and roll higher if you are trying to stop something.

Damage:
    Fists, Words, Feelings -- These all do the difference in the roll of a dice. You need to roll higher than 5 and roll a 9, then it’s 4 points of damage... If you are defending yourself the same applies. You need to roll lower than 6 and roll a 1, then you’ve received no damage.

Hands:
    • Heavy Sticks, Switches, Snow Balls, Dirt Clods -- These all do the difference in the roll of a dice AND 1 additional point of damage.
    • Rocks, Baseball Bats, Clubs, Base Balls, etc -- These all do the difference in the roll of a dice AND 2 additional points.
    • BB-Guns, Paint Ball Guns, Sling Shots, etc -- These all do the difference in the roll of a dice AND 2 additional points.
    Head: Use the above to make your own grid of damage.
    Heart: Use the above to make your own grid of damage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sample Kid:
    My name is John. My friends call me Johnny, but Donny calls Butt Sniffer and Poop Hole Licker. I’m six and a half years old and have a little brother (Jeff) who will start school next year. I’m worried that Donny will hurt Jeffy and I won’t be able to protect him. I’d really like to make Donny cry. He’s made me cry so many times that I can’t count them all. I would really like to kick him in his Poop Hole and tell him to go have his mom lick it (that’s what he did to me after Halloween). My most secret thing is my pocket knife. My dad gave it to me and said that he got it from some Swiss Army Guy. I sneak it to school and don’t show it to anyone, not even my best-est friend Shane. Well, really, I carry it around all the time because I think I might use it someday to help protect me from Donny.

[John rolled a 6 so he gets 3 points to add to his Three Things Every Kid Has]
    Before:
    Head -- 2
    Hands -- 3
    Heart -- 1

After:
    Head -- 2
    Hands -- 5
    Heart -- 2

Breaking Point: Hands -- 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The object of the game is to lure Donny to a location where you can all team up and beat the crap out of him without actually killing him. You’ll need smart kids, kids with feelings as tough as elephant skin, and you will definitely need tough kids who can rip Donny up together.

Below is Donny... Have fun, but don’t cross the line and have your parents, your teachers, or the law come looking for you if you go too far.... Break his spirit, freak out his mind, kick his ass, but don’t kill him. Whatever you do, don’t kill him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Donny. My dad sucks the big one and my mom hates me. I can’t ever do anything right and it pisses me off. I think the only good things in life come from taking them. I take whatever I want since all the grownups I know take everything I ever liked. I’m in third grade, but I should’ve been in grade four. That damn Ms. Nelson sucks the big one (just like my dad). It is kind of nice though being in third grade. Lots and lots of little kids to push around, eat their desert, and make ‘em do stuff for me. When I grow up I think I want to be a cop. They get to push everybody around. I think I’d like to have a badge and push my dad around... He sucks the big one!

Head -- 5
    Hands --7
    Heart -- 4

Breaking Point: Hands -- 14
  • how did you type all that in 5 minutes?
  • Explorers! (The RPG)

One player draws a map. Be sure to pack it full of stuff like mountains and forests and ancient ruins and cities all that good stuff.
    Other players are explorers! They're looking for something, but don't tell anyone what yet. Describe your character, but you don't have stats.

The mapper determines a starting point. Then players choose where to go.

While traveling, roll a d6:
    1: Something goes terribly wrong! The mapper determines what and the characters deal with it!
    2-3: Something unexpected is run into! An unmapped location, an odd traveller, a freak storm. Not something just bad or good, but something unique.
    4-5: Travel goes fine. The destination is reached without much fuss.
    6: Travel is faster than expected, or maybe you run into some nice people or find some cool stuff.

For individual actions, GM sets difficulty, and players roll a d6, plus a bonus for each beneficial thing they can think of.
  • Half an hour... The narrative story I typed several years ago, the rest was in my head. I took an hour for lunch, thought about it while I ate, and then typed the thing up in 30 to 40 minutes... It took 10 minutes to figure out how to make bold and italics on this forum... I never did figure out bullets though... Just a fast typist and really sick of moving books in the library today...
  • edited June 2011
    Explorers! (The RPG)
    Supplement One: What you're looking for

Whenever you reach a destination, roll a d6:
    1: The location is hostile, and those here don't want you to find what you're looking for (or maybe they want it for themselves!)
    2-3: The location is quirky, with interesting inhabitants and an odd structure. You won't find what you're looking for here, but you'll find something else.
    4-5: The location is roughly what you expected. What you're looking for isn't here, but there might be clues to it, if you look hard enough or ask the right people
    6: This is the place! What you're looking for is actually here! If multiple characters are exploring together, each rolls off to determine whose thing is here. On a tie, its multiple people's. The thing is always guarded, and if you fail to get the thing (for the guards are always challenging and call for sacrifice...) then it moves to a new place, most likely pretty far away.

Extra rules:
    Especially long journeys require two "going places" rolls. Big locations get two "reach a destination rolls"
    What counts as a thing? Weather conditions, a helpful item, a character trait, helping someone in need. Only one of each type per roll.
    Difficulties: 4: pretty easy, 6: hard, 8: very hard 10: basically impossible
  • Put a die in the middle of the table, on top of a sheet of blank paper, showing 1. Starting with the youngest player and going around to the left, start solving a mystery by introducing a clue - write it down on the paper in an ordered list - or by explaining how the last clue was a red herring, error, or not what it seemed. You can only red-herring out the clue that's at the bottom of the list. If you introduce a clue, advance the die to the next highest number. If you decide to remove a clue, reduce it instead. When you have the highest number on the die showing, the next player can choose to either get rid of the last clue (and play continues) or proceed to the solution.

The solution works like this: take the bottom clue on the list and do a single cut of a montage showing how that clue relates to the solution to the mystery. Then reduce the die to the next lowest number and cross off that clue. After all the clues are accounted for, the game is over.
  • Posted By: whiteknifeExplorers! (The RPG)
    Supplement One: What you're looking for
    Super nice! Totally stealing this.
  • Action Dice:

"Roll and Move", John Wick said on the Bear Swarm podcast as I drove into work today. What does that really mean? Minimal intent, the dice tell you the number of successes but not what they are. It's the evil mirror-universe version of Wushu where details happen and the degree of success is rolled.

Action Man with a skill of four and a pool of seven dice for HTH combat has the drop on a band of pesky ninjas (five total). He assigns three dice to defense/move and four to offense. Rolling 1,2,5 and 1,2,4,5 he get to define five success/facts. "I drop down between two of the ninja (one move) and double backhand both of them (two offense successes). Before they can react, I roll forward (second move) and sweep kick another one (third offense.)" Because the ninjas where surprised, they have no offense to threaten Action Man with this turn.

These are one die mooks, so the three that took one hit lose their only die and are knocked out/killed.

Next round, the GM secretly writes down that both of the mooks both go on offense with their 3 skill. Action Man decides to spend four dice on defense/move and three on offense. Everyone rolls together. The ninjas get a 3 and a 1 for two successes while AM gets 1,1,4,5 and 3,4,6 for five more successes (three defense, two offense. The player and GM decide that two ninja throw shiruken at AM but he burns two defense successes to deflect the stars with his bracers, steps forward (burning all three defense/move successes), and bashes the two ninja skulls together and thus ending the fight.

Character Creation:
    *ding*
    --
    TAZ
  • It's Hard!

You are Bob, 39 years old, married, with three kids. You have a fairly demanding job, a bunch of good friends, and always like to start new hobby projects.

The other players will heap demands on you, on behalf of the world - that is: your wife, your kids, your job, your friends, your projects.

Every round each player will say one thing the world demands of you. You will sigh and say "It's hard!" Then you will explain how you handle that demand.

---

After five rounds, you reflect on Bob's life. What sort of guy have you portrayed? What choices did he make? How did things turn out in the end? Has he changed?

Why did he keep saying "It's hard"?

And who are you? Are you also Bob, in the end?
  • Beautiful little game, Matthijs!

I'm astounded at the number of contributions here, and how enjoyable a read they are. Really great!

Myself however; not so great ... I've tried three times now, to post a game to my own challenge, and failed. You are all sooo much faster than me! LOL
  • Don't Judge Me!

You are Breakbone Skullsmasher, Barbarian of the Wastes and killer of thousands. Your life was glorious and bloody. And now you are dead and stand in judgement in the underworld. Do you deserve Paradise and its dusky maidens or Hell and its empty foggy plains of despair?

Each player in turn plays Breakbone Skullsmasher, recalling a glorious episode from his life. The player to your left is your advocate, perhaps your sidekick Tevis Morningstar, your concubine M'hagra or the Emperor Vincent. To your left is one of your victims. Each must state their case, as must you, Breakbone Skullsmasher.

When everyone has played Breakbone Skullsmasher, all players vote on his final destination. If there is a tie, Breakbone Skullsmasher returns as a ghost to haunt the Earth until he resolves that which prevents him from moving on.
  • edited June 2011
    Get a roadmap. Choose two spots. Mark crossroads and intersections between these points. You are a group of young hitchhikers, going from one of these spots to the other. Come up with a good reason why. It doesn't have to be the same reason for all of you. Write your reason on your character sheet! Also, your name, age, and one piece of information.
    Your dudes are all friends, so write each others' characters names on your sheet. Then, continue by writing "is my friend, but" and fill in an inconvenient fact.

Whenever you reach an intersection or crossroads (starting from the one on the beginning of your journey, when you leave your home town), your group splits to catch rides. Each of you roll a d4. Those of you who got the same number get to share a ride. If it sounds like it's going to be an interesting ride, roleplay it. One of the other players will get to be the driver. The driver will ask you a provocative question, make a true observation and/or make an interesting offer. After the ride, write down another sentence on your character sheet relating to the character(s) you've just been with.

The driver is:
    1. Friendly / 2. Creepy / 3. Cynical / 4. Malicious

You all meet at the next intersection or crossroads for coffee, cigarettes and light talk before sticking your thumbs out again.

The game ends when those of you still want to reach the destination do so, or when there's no one left who can or will go there.

I confess that this actually took 10 minutes to write. It's also edited for typos and such.
  • Roll 2 Dice. If you get double six, you win. If you don't get double one, you don't lose yet and can roll again. Each time you roll the dice, colour in one of the spots on one of the faces so that it gets a little closer to being another 'one'. Naturally you shouldn't colour in any dots on the six sides or you'll never win.

Tada. Hope you weren't expecting a Story game ;) I like to take my time with those.

-Ash
  • edited June 2011
    Erstwhile and Emily

Emily is four and half years old. She has a very active imagination. Her brother, Erstwhile, might be an alien. Emily tells every adult she meets, but no one believes her. She is, after all, four years old.

This is a game for three players. One of you will play Emily, one will play Erstwhile, and one will play a parent or authority figure. After each scene, you'll trade roles off to the person on your left.

Parent player: You start the scene by describing what mundane task the family is doing, like grocery shopping or eating breakfast. Your job is to act like a parent: keep your kids under control and teach them right from wrong. You can make any statement you want in a scene. Your goal is to guess correctly whether Erstwhile is or is not an alien. You also decide when your errand is complete and the scene ends. When you end a scene, write down whether you believe Emily that Erstwhile is an alien, or not. Keep these is a separate pile from Erstwhile's secrets.

Erstwhile's player: write down at the start of a scene whether you are a normal kid or an alien in disguise. Keep these is a separate pile from the parent's guesses. Your goal is to act like a normal, hyperactive child of eight years. Your goal is also to make the parent guess wrong. Act normal when an alien, or weird when a regular kid, or change things up if the parent guessed right before. The biggest difficulty is that you can only make statements starting with "Yes, and..."

Emily's player: Play a hyperactive, imaginative child. Try to convince your parent that Erstwhile is an alien. You can only start sentences with "Yes, but..." Point out how Erstwhile's weird acts are part of a sinister alien plot.

After several rounds of play, you can end the story when everyone agrees it is time to end. Count up the votes of the parent players to determine whether the parent believes or not (majority wins). Then count up the Erstwhile votes to see if he was really an alien or not (majority wins). From there, collectively determine whether the alien invasion is foiled or succeeds, or if the parent is taken away to an insane asylum or just lives a normal, mundane life.
  • edited June 2011
    THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF BABEL

In this game you are politicians of a very young fantasy-democracy; The Peoples Republic of Babel. You are meeting each-other in a series of debates, in all the major cities of the realm. While doing this you take turns drawing parts of the map. Keep the drawing simple. Put names on cities, great forests, mountain ranges and seas.

When you draw a portion of the map, you get +1 for the debate in that part of the realm. When the drawing is finished, you roll a die to determine how many seats that part of the realm holds in parliament (1-6 seats).

The character
    Make a name for your character, and a name for his/her political party.

Political issues:
    - The old king: should he be executed? And the queen? The princess and the three princes?
    - The Knights of the Queen: should they be dissolved, and/or made into "The Peoples Knights"?
    - The old nobility: should their lands be stripped off them, and given away or sold to the people?

- The army: the peoples army are ill-equipped, and arms are costly; what do we do?
    - The fleet: our fleet are weak; a handful of smaller ships; so do we build expensive lion-ships?
    - The border-fortresses: in ill repair, partly held by our neighbors; what do we do?

- The elves: should we try to talk with the "tree-singers", or promise a reward for any elven head?
    - The dwarves: they are few, and their riches are many, but their mountain fortress is mighty ...
    - The orcs: how should the orc-incursions in the south be dealt with?

- The great kingdom of Frangast: they supported the king and nobility, so how do we treat them?
    - The kingdom of Gormengalia: they supported the king and nobility, so how do we treat them?
    - The small dukedom of Harribut: they supported the king and nobility, so how do we treat them?

- Trade: the roads are in a bad condition since the civil war; how do we finance the repairs?
    - Shipping: how do we deal with the fact that a lot of great ships flew the realm in the civil war?
    - Illegal trade: how do you propose to deal with the illegal trade in magic mushrooms?

- Local democracy: do we establish a local parliament in each major city?
    - Should anyone but grown men, with property or a zeal of mastership, hold the right to vote?
    - President election: directly with individual candidates, or by votes in parliament?

- Constitution: what stands in the first paragraph; equality, brotherhood or freedom?
    - Justice: should the high court answer to the parliament, or should it be an independent institution?
    - Constitution: which groups among the populace should have privileges?

Debates
    You hold debates, in character; and end the debates by pointing to each-other; the one with the most fingers poiting at him/her, wins the debate and get +1 on the die roll. Then all of you roll the die for each seat of parliament in this region. In case of a tie the ones tied rolls again. Note down how many seats you get, and go on to the next region.

When all of you have drawn one region, and its major city has been debated in, you go on to the capital. That's where the final debate is held. None of you get any plus for drawing it, but one of you must do it anyway. The seats available in the capital is 9, so this debate may be quite important. Hodl the debate in the capital in the same way as the rest, with die-rolling at the end to determine who gets the seats.

Parliament
    In the end you sit down "in parliament", and decide who will rule for the next 5 years. This may be straightforward, if one of you got a majority of seats in parliament. If none have a majority, the one with the most seats will have to negotiate with the others, giving and taking political concessions, trying to forge a political alliance. If he/she fails the next in line may give it a try. If you do not succeed, you got to have a reelection (going trough the debates in the cities once more, winning the seats, and sitting down in parliament for a second time).

In the end one of you will be elected as ruling party, and the rest are obliged to applaud politely. The ruling party then decrees what his first act of ruling will be. It could be anything that fits his tastes; including turning the republic into a one-party state.

The game ends with the first ruling.

Have good game!

All players are stuck on an island. The GM presents the environment and hazards and raptors (really deinonychus).

Roll stats with 2D6 in order no backsies.

Hit points
    Killin'
    Memories
    Running

Task resolution is D12 and Pendragon style.

Raptors go down from a successful Killin' roll but if they get up in your face they do 2D6 damage to you. Healing requires a med kit but seriously you don't have time to sit around and heal you need to get the hell off the island.

Roll memories to know stuff about the island or your old skills or stuff about people you meet. You can't outrun a raptor but you can outrun other people.

Weapons do about 2D6 damage to people too, some do more and some do less. Ranges and ammo and stuff are like real life. Good luck! Also don't forget to eat and shit and hide the smell (especially of blood if someone is hurt!!!).
  • edited June 2011
    Nice one, Wilmer! So simple! You could say: roll D12 equal to or lower than skill, to succeed.

BTW: I'll make a better try one of these days (must get under 5 minutes myself, to keep my pride).
  • Thanks! Pendragon style also means a high roll beats a low roll as long as you don't fail. Relevant to see who is slowed if all the PCs try to outrun a pack of raptors (murder or raptors? birds are dinosaurs after all...) and you don't have any NPCs with you.
  • Alon, I really like yours.
  • Posted By: ndpAlon, I really like yours.
    So do I. NIce one. Makes me wonder what would happen in the game, and that's a good sign. :-)
  • One-Sword Setting: Idlewild
    Play with d4s, d8s or d12s only.

1: One-Sword
    2: Turtledoves Two
    3: Three Against
    4: Four-And Against
    5: Fifth-Ringed Sword
    6: Halfer Dozen
    7: Sheikh Seventh-Son
    8: Eighth o' Eighth, the Wizard's Boy
    9: Jack-a'Nines
    10: Then-There-Was Ten
    11: Eleventh, the Lost Tribe
    12: Twelver Postles
    13: We don't talk of this one.

I don't think I wrote that in five - and it's just a list. Kudos to those who managed whole games!
  • edited June 2011
    One-upmanShip

You are a crew member of a pirate vessel. Collaborate to name the vessel and its captain.
    Next, design characters by picking an adjective (like the ones listed below),

Reckless / Bold / Brave / Daring
    Bloodthirsty / Cruel / Savage / Wild
    Greedy / Voracious / Craving
    Sneaky / Stealthy / Cunning

then picking a name,
    and putting them together to create a full name like Reckless Jack or Cunning Pete.

Play begins with whoever is sitting on the best chair, or nearest the window, or has the fanciest boots. That player describes in short and in character an adventure that the crew had last weekend, painting themselves as the hero. Play then proceeds around the table anticlockwise, with each character beginning with a statement like "Ah, but while you were wasting your time with that, I saved the ship by..", and proceeding to retell the story in such a way as to paint them as the hero of the story, and if possible to paint the previous speaker/s as bumbling fools. Try to use the adjective which is a part of your name as often as possible.

Play ends after an agreed upon length of time, or an agreed upon number of times around the table. At that point, whoever is next to speak recounts the events which happened just after the story which has been being retold ended, which should end with all the pirates either in jail, marooned on an island, or stuck down a hole (whatever fits the fiction) - which is why they're spending so long arguing.

For added piracy, take a drink of rum before and after you speak.
  • Play begins with whoever... drew the best pirate tattoo on their arm. :-)
  • Round 2, inspired by the Sorcerer thread:

Your character is all kinds of love:
    Agape (love of strangers)
    Philios (love of friends)
    Eros (romantic love)
    Storge (love of family)
    Narcissus (love of self)
    ...assign d4-d12 to them...

...and that's really all I got.

But I have three minutes left.

So, um, you do stuff, and depending on who you're helping, you get to roll that kind of die.

Two minutes...

I dunno, hack In a Wicked Age. Use these stats instead of with violence / etc.

Oh wait, somebody already did that for ponies.

One minute...

BZZt.
  • Place a pack of cards on the table. Take a fantasy book which you haven't read, and read out the blurb to you and your friends. That's the setting for this game. Then read the first sentence of the book. Put the book away.

Now, the person to your left flips over the top card of the deck. He may speak a number of words equal to the value of the card. If the card is black, he talks about how things go well. If the card is red, he talks about how things go poorly. He may finish his sentence, or leave it unfinished.

Then the player to his left flips over the top card of the deck. She may speak a number of words equal to the value of the card. Again, if it is black she talks about how things go well. If the card is red, she talks about how things go poorly. She may finish her sentence, or leave it unfinished.

If you wish, sentences with club cards are about violence, action and threat. Sentences with heart cards are about compassion, lust and personalities. Sentences with diamond cards are about greed, growth and ambition. Sentences with spade cards are about heroism, movement and reflection. In this case, black cards are no longer about good things and red cards no longer about bad things.

The face cards represent twists in the story. You decide what they represent. May I recommend that the Jack represents a trick or plot twist and the King a boon or plot advancement? I drew the Queen of Diamonds once, and met a girl I fell in love with.
  • I like it! Sounds like a good Denny's at 2 AM game. It would also play well with a tarot deck. :-)
  • Everyone at the table/party/bar creates an "achievement". This like a video game achievement/trophy, with a cool name, awarded when some goal is reached. All achievements should be something that mere mortals at the party could achieve in the real world, though not necessarily at the party. These are written on paper and revealed aloud. Players have until some time limit, decided by consensus, to achieve goals (end of party, next full moon, the vernal equinox, etc.) Everyone tracks what goals they achieved. Goals must be achieved in the presence of another player.

I guess this is more of a mechanic than a game, but my time is up.
  • [Idea done after 5 minutes, more like 25 to put in words …]

Shoulder of Orion
    You survived, you escaped. The image of burning attack ships and the glittering C-beams are still etched on your tearless retina, but you've made a new quiet life in the sprawling megacity. You've even found something to live for. But how long have you got? And will they come for you?

For this game you need some six-sided dice and at least one friend. Create characers: give them names, describe where they life, and what their reason for living is. Take turns being in the spotlight, playing your replicant. Set scenes for each other.

When you're faced with a challange, roll as many dice as you want. If you get at least one die that shows 4 or more, you've succeeded.

If your roll has any 1's, you've exposed yourself. Make a note. When you reach 5, the Blade Runner knows where you are. When you reach 7, the Blade Runner comes for you.

If your roll has any 6's, you've used a great deal of your energy, and your artificial life draws nearer to it's end. Make a note. When you reach 10, it's time to die.

Betrayal: by giving up on a challange after you've rolled you can ignore the effects of any 1's. The action fails automatically, and those you care of will what you've done.
    For life: if the challange is directly related to your reason for living, you can make any die a 6 instead (pushing you closer to the final end).
  • edited June 2011
    MATCH ME
    You play some of the members of a local soccer-team. Pick a mid-level team if available. You are not professional, but each of you is young and have great ambitions.

Make yourselves some names. The rest of the character will come along as you play.

Match
    Each match each of you roll a die. Odd numbers is good, Even numbers are bad. You need a 1 to score the first goal, a 3 to score the second, and a 5 to score the third, and then 1 again, and so forth. Any even numbers are a goal to the opposition.

Rolling a 1 is the best result, for any individual. It means you get high praise after the match, whatever the outcome. 3 and 5 is a good performance if you won, and average if you lost. Rolling an even number means you have made a significant mistake (penalty, red-card, self goal, lost the ball in a critical spot, etc.).

Post-match
    This game is all about what the players say to eachother between the matches; in the wardrobe, in the gym, on the training field, in a bus on route to a new match.

Each player set a scene after each match, and have the power to stop it too. Go around the table, setting one scene each.

The scenes should all be about how you praise and criticize each other. Try to develop some tense relationships; you don't have to be mature about loosing a match; someone should take the blame.

Set a scene by saying someting like this: "We are in the gym, working out, when Raul start moaning about the last match again ..." or "On the training field the trainer let us work harder than ever, to punish us for the last loss ...". When the scene is set, you all step into the character of yours, and start talking to each other as if you where there.

When all players have set a scene, you roll for the next match, and then you do a new round of scenes. You continue doing this until one of you comes out a winner ...

A winner
    If any player get a 1 on the die two times in a row, when rolling for the matches, he/she is noticed by a scout for some big club, and signed to them. The player in question decides for himself which club he/she is signed to. If this happens you end the game by setting a last round of scenes.

The last scenes should all be about the time before the player actually leaves the club, and may be anything. The other players may do their best to sabotage the "winner", but he/she always gets the last scene (and may save his honor, if possible).

Have a great match!

15 minutes! I'm closing in ...
  • My did only take me 5 minutes but it's perhaps a little close to Matthijs'.
  • edited June 2011
    Ja, that's my problem; always trying to be so hopelessly original ... LOL

My last try:

SAVE THE WORLD!

You play yourself, and so do the other players.
    You have gathered to discuss how you may save the world.
    As you start discussing what such ordinary people like you can do, things start happening ...

So you play this game in two modes;

MODE 1: the talk
    You talk about solving the world crisis, as yourself, with your (limited) resources (financially, intellectually, politically ...).

If you come into the talk-mode from storytelling-mode (see below), you may shake your head, and disbelief what has just happened (but it has, in the game), and rather concentrate on other world problems ...

MODE 2: the storytelling
    As you talk, one of you may, at any time, go into storytelling-mode, opening with something like: "And so they set forth, and did ...". If one of you do this, you all follow up, narrating your successful actions, until the problem at hand is solved. Then you stop, stare blankly out in the air, and return to talk-mode.

You continue this way until you have no more world problems to solve. The world should be a beautiful place when the game is ended.

Good luck!

YABBA-DABBA-DOO!!!!

(had to do a small edit, but it only took 4 sec.)
  • LOVE IN THE TIME OF SAD

Gather some friends
    Put on red noses
    Choose an adjective each, to play; Jumpy, Runny, Nervy, Spooky, etc.

You all live together in a colorful tent (everyone you know does that, so it's quite normal)
    You're trying to make a change in the world: end war, stop p-p-p-p-pollution, help the p-p-p-p-poor
    Your main problem: by some strange reason other people tend to laugh at you

Take turns setting scenes
    Let all be included in every scene
    Anyone may describe how other people react to your actions and words

If you want to, you may roll a die to establish if a special feat succeed. On a 1 you succeed. Any number over that is a varying degree of failure, the longer away from 1 the more silly a failure

Good luck!

Hah! 4 minutes 3 seconds!
  • OH NO, CLUMSY ZILLA

Three players.

Zilla is a big clumsy monster. She/he/it cares a lot about a bunch of things. Take turns. Everyone narrates three things, people, whatever that Zilla cares a lot about, and why.

Draw a map of the area around where you are right now (in real life). Take turns. Everyone draws three elements.

Random first player.

On your turn, point to an area on the map. Narrate how Zilla destroys the area. Zilla MUST destroy something each turn. Why is up to you.

Player to your right says how that affects someone or something Zilla cares about.

Player to your left says how that makes Zilla feel inside. Of course, Zilla can't display these emotions.

Keep going until everything is destroyed.

Last player narrates epilogue for Zilla.
  • edited June 2011
    Go Fuck Yourself.

1. Get together with some people, it's best if you know them, but it's not important whether you like them or not.
    2. Each player chooses one of the other players and pretends to be them, drawing attention to there 'faults' where possible.
    3. Rotate the roles so everyone gets an equal amount of time being the each of the other people.
    4. Each player then gets a chance to tell everyone present what a bunch of fuckers they are. Players should attempt to speak at the same time rather than taking turns.
  • That's beautiful, Sean!
  • Sad Robots

All players have robots that have mysteriously been activated some time in the distant future...alone, in a broken world, with no humans left, and must find their purpose

The games uses a Bandu set. Players take turns selecting a bandu piece and announce what the piece represents. it could be a bit of programming that has woken up, and found robot part, a clue as to what the purpose of the robot is; it is simply a story element. Players bid Bandu beads for use of the of the piece in their story, which the winner narrates. Other player robots can be involved in the story, of course, but the player who won the bid gets the piece.

The player can stack the piece on his Bandu tower by having the story element affect his robot "the most" in the narrative. Or he can force another player to add to their tower by narrating the story in such a way that the story element affects that player the most.

If a player's tower crashes down, his programming has "gone bad" and starts a system shut down...on his next turn, instead of selecting a piece, he can try to rebuild his tower, while detailing a part of how his computer mind is trying to "make the code" fit with each piece played on to the tower -- "this piece represents a memory of my creator, mistakingly crossing a blue wire with red."

If the tower falls again, the shut down continues for his next turn. Regardless if the tower falls or not, the last piece instead of getting placed back on the tower is offered up as a story element for the rest of the table.

once all Bandu pieces have been assigned to players, a final epilogue is detailed for each player, with the hopes that each robot has discovered it's purpose...whether or not that that purpose can actually be fulfilled or not, and the ramifications of that is up to the players.
  • edited June 2011
    Orange Juice

You'll Need:
    -Oranges
    -a Juicer (the hand kind that you hold over a glass)
    -Sharpies
    -2 friends

Do This:
    -each person sits around the table with an orange
    -draw a face on your orange
    -go around 3 times

the first time complete this sentence
    "On the day I was born ...."

the second time turn to the orange to the left and ask
    "Remember the day we....?"

the third time turn to the orange to the right and say
    "-On the day I died, you told me ..."

-juice the oranges
    -drink the juice

-for Tori Brewster
  • edited June 2011
    As role playing games go, that sounds rather cannibalisitic. ;-)
    --
    TAZ
  • This is great stuff!

End by eating your character! LOL
  • Shotgun Wedding

A young couple are getting married, and not everyone is happy about that. You need 4-6 friends. Two of you play the young couple (who might be man and wife to be, though making it two young men or two young women marrying each other might explain some of the family's reluctance). The rest of the players play other participants in the wedding ceremony: parents, siblings, the priest or justice of the peace, the flower girl, whatever.

Write these things on some cards, shuffle them and hand one out to each player. If you have less than six, only use a few cards, starting with #6 and working down until everyone gets one.

1 Guilt
    2 Recriminations
    3 Bringing up bad memories
    4 A secret is revealed
    5 Threats
    6 An actual literal shotgun

Starting with the person with the lowest numbered card, they start a scene. They describe their character preparing for or participating int he wedding, and need to work toward what is written on the card. Once they bring that element into play, then they can end the scene at a good time and let the next lowest numbered card scene happen. Repeat until the actual literal shotgun comes out, in the hands of one of the PCs.

Once the shotgun is revealed, do one more round of scenes in the same order, ending with a scene where the shotgun actually goes off, one way or another. Optionally, have a third round, illustrating aftermath and epilogue.

Did anyone end up married? Anyone survive at all?
  • I'm going to run some of these at GPNW
  • That's exciting! Make sure you let us know how they went.

"Design a game in five minutes, then playtest each participant's games" would be make a decent convention event.