5 minutes game-challenge

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Venture Forth:

Set up

-Decide on setting elements.
    -Create a basic player outline with 1 long term memory and 3 short term memories.
    -One player is the gm they create 1 plot situation which draws the players memories together somehow.
    -Create a map every player puts 1 element on it.

Character Creation
    -Choose a name.
    -Write a history.
    -Choose 1 d20 attribute that is your "class/race/whatever"
    -Choose 1 3d6 attribute, 2 2d6 attributes, and 3 1d6 attributes. that define aspects of the character.

Play
    -Players describe their action and how they accomplish it if it seems possible they pass if not the gm rolls a number of d6 equal to the difficulty.
    -Players roll their total number of dice for their attributes. *doubles count as an extra +1.

Experience
    -Every session choose a short term memory (max 5).
    -You trade 2 short term memories for a long term.
    -You trade 1 long term memory, per number of dice worth of attribute, to increase an attribute by 1d6.
    -It costs 2 long term to create a brand new attribute.

Failed just slightly over 6 min.

I think it could use more smoothing out but meh not bad for a failure lol.
  • Everyone Is A Tuxedo Mage

PREP

You are a tuxedo mage. But these days, who isn't?

Tuxedo mages have awesome outfits. Start by gathering together some slightly outdated fashion magazines. Maybe - GQ and Details if you want to play a guy, Vogue and Cosmo if you want to play a chick, Candy or Alt Fashion if you want something different. Cut out bits and pieces, and collage together an image of your tuxedo mage. It doesn't have to be realistic, like, but it definitely needs to convey precisely the sort of tuxedo magic you wield.

Tuxedo magic is the worst type of magic. Worst in that it's accessible to the lowest common denominator (you), worst in that it has the most undesirable impact on society, and worst in that it drains the user. Why are you a tuxedo mage? Write this answer next to your collage.

Broke City is a shit place to live, and nobody likes it. But no one ever leaves, because you can check out of Broke City, but you can never leave. Since you can't ever leave Broke City, your goal is to carve out your own little empire, to hoard something, or to get back something that Broke City stole from you. Decide your goal, but don't write it anywhere. Ever.

You are rich. You have all the best friends, but they are the worst people. The other collage characters are some of your friends, but they're all lying bitches.

PLAY

Go about your life, and try to accomplish whatever it is that you want to accomplish.

When you trade up in the world,
    cut out a new collage piece and glue it onto your collage (probably covering up something beneath).

When you trade down in the world
    , someone else cuts out a new collage piece (from their magazine) and glues it onto your collage.

When you do tuxedo magic
    , pick an area of your collage and colour it in with sharpie.

When you lie, cheat or steal, if it affects another collage character: colour on someone else's collage. If not: colour on the blank piece of paper in the middle of the table.

TUXEDO MAGIC

Tuxedo Magic lets you do all sorts of stuff. You can be more pretty, re-arrange the social fabric of Broke City, cause candles to light without a spark, read the inside of someone's head like they're the internet, or replace someone's emotions.

END

The game ends when someone accomplishes their goal.
  • That would be a great game if you could pick up a box or two of random magazines from a garage sale. :-)
  • Todd,

I'm unsure that it'd be a great game under any circumstances. It reads like a total mess to me.
    But... saying the phrase "Everyone Is A Tuxedo Mage" is undeniably fun.
  • edited June 2011
    Scarred for Life

A game for three or more players.

Every player begins with a file card, upon which he or she writes a single phrase describing a traumatic experience from the past. Examples: "The day I accidentally ate a live worm." / "The time my boyfriend caught me smooching with his younger brother." / "The time my pants fell down at a dance while I was attempting to moonwalk."

The cards are shuffled and passed out face down, randomly.

Each player then delivers a brief, fictional explanation of how he or she was "scarred for life" by the experience described on the card in front of him/her. Each description should involve at least three elements - something one can no longer do, something the sight of which makes one faint, and some person that one no longer trusts. Example: "I can't floss my teeth in a mirror any more, I pass out whenever I see a live opossum, and I can't even be in the same room as anybody with buck teeth." The one constraint upon each description is that it may not contain any nouns, verbs, or adjectives that were on the relevant card (or synonyms thereof).

After every player has taken a turn, everybody points to the individual whom each thinks ended up with hir or her own awful secret was revealed. Cards are passed across the table to whomever is pointing at each card holder. A show of hands may be used to figure out who was right or who was wrong, and one point is awarded for each correct guess, as well as for each description that led to a correct guess.

All of the cards are then immediately shredded and another round is played. The winner is the first person to get twice the number of points as there are players. Or, alternatively, the last person provoked to uncontrollable weeping.
  • Posted By: Ross CowmanI'm going to run some of these at GPNW
    That's great! I hope you find time to post a small report from the event here. Let's hear how well or bad our games fared ...
  • I want to play Everyone Is A Tuxedo Mage.
  • lonelyverse -- by Ben Lehman, Chris Chinn, and Dev Purkayastha

You are alone in a spaceship, heading from Earth to Jupiter. This will take three months.

Pack three months worth of food. Take it with you into a closet.

You are now playing the game.

If you leave the closet before three months, you die in the sucking vacuum of space.

After three months, you arrive, and the game ends.
  • spooky train - a game by Joe Mcdaldno and Ben Lehman.

You are on a train headed from Boringsville to Crazy Town.

Pack seven days worth of food.
    Now go to Ben Lehman's place (it's in the ID, in Seattle), and enter his apartment. Pretend that it's a train!

There's a dining car (his living room), a bathroom car (his bathroom), and a sleeping car (his bedroom).
    Don't go into Jonathan's room, because he probably wouldn't like that.

If Ben tries to interact with you, pretend he's a spooky ghost!
    If Ben tries to get you to leave before you arrive at Crazy Town, don't do it! Leave the apartment means you just jumped off a train going 110/mph. You'd maybe die!

If Ben is hogging the blankets or trying to get you to leave his room so he can sleep, consider attempting to exorcise him. He's a ghost, remember!

After seven days, you arrive in Crazy Town. As does Ben Lehman.
    The game is now over.
  • 5 minutes alternative reality challenge coming up soon, in an apartment near you ...

lonelyverse sounds like being a zen-buddist is a prerequisite to play. But; you may consider making it into a role-playing poem; 15 minutes in a closet (with food for 3 months) could be cool ...
  • edited June 2011

There are two of you. One of you is the Subject. The other is the Pursuer.

The Subject has no memory of where they are or why they are being pursued. They might be wearing a suit.

The Pursuer can have the use of thugs and helicopters or be a single figure in an unimpressive car. They are probably wearing a suit.

The Pursuer starts with four coins, the subject starts with one coin.

Take turns narrating, starting with the Pursuer. Just a few sentences about the Pursuer's machinations, or the Subject's exploits attempting to put the pieces together. Whatever you say happens, happens, but some things don't happen unless you trade a coin to the other player.

The Pursuer must trade coins to trap the Subject, take away an asset, or establish a memory:

• Give 1 coin to the Subject to trap them in a dead end
    • Give 1 coin to the Subject to rob them of a material resource (tool, information, money)
    • Give 1 coin to the Subject to remind them of something that went wrong before the chase began
    • Give 2 coins to the Subject to rob them of an ally

The Subject must trade coins to escape the Pursuer, get ahold of assets, or establish a memory:

• Give 1 coin to the Pursuer to find a way out of a jam
    • Give 1 coin to the Pursuer to locate a material resource (tool, information, money)
    • Give 1 coin to the Pursuer to remember something that went right before the chase began
    • Give 2 coins to the Pursuer to track down someone who might still help you

If the Pursuer ever gets all 5 coins, the Subject pieces together the rest of their memory, then the Pursuer describes what they do with the now-captured Subject. If the Subject ever gets all 5 coins, they turn the tables on the Pursuer and demand answers, then get to decide the Pursuer's fate.

Hm, this took more like 25 minutes than 5.

…also I'm new here, hi guys…

• Hi Evan! Welcome! Nice game you posted here! Having two players battling it out against each other is a nice idea. Been done in boardgames, and surely could be a genre of role-playing games too. Thanks!
  • edited June 2011
    There are five players. Each one picks a character, and takes the appropriate die to go along with it:

d4 - the dinosaur
    d6 - the mechanic
    d8 - the princeling
    d12 - the monster
    d20 - the superwizard

every time you do something, you roll your die. If you roll higher than the other dude (he's rolling too, because he's doing something with you or against you), you win and come out better than him. Though the higher you beat him by, the more power he'll have over you in a future contest. You want to just beat him.

...aaaaand that's five minutes. I'm suspicious that some of these games in here weren't written in 5 minutes. Or maybe you're all superwizards.
  • NIce little game, Hans! You are right; we are all SUPER-WIZARDS!!!
  • Littlest Pet Shop RPG

When your 6 year old daughter is playing with her LPS, sit down next to her and say, "Can I play?"
    Name all the littlest pets and find out what they're good at. Safari giraffe is good at safari-ing, mouse is good at chewing holes through walls, etc.
    You play some of the pets, she'll play some of the pets.
    When you get bored, introduce some kind of opposition or threat: thunderstorm, giant stuffed animal attack, ...
    What do the littlest pets do? Whatever it is, it's always a "Yes, but -" They hide in a cave to get out of the rain? Yes, but there's a sleeping nose beast in there. They run out of the cave? Yes, but Safari Giraffe gets hit by lightning and needs to go to the hospital.
    When you can't play anymore because you have to drive someone to the airport or whatever, you can start solving threats. Hamster goes to med school and gives safari giraffe anti-lightning pills.
    The end.
  • Posted By: jdfristromLittlest Pet Shop RPG
    I'm reading this just after putting the kids to bed. My six-year-old daughter is falling asleep while the floor of her bedroom is covered in Littlest Pet Shop stuff.
  • Posted By: Hans C-O...aaaaand that's five minutes. I'm suspicious that some of these games in here weren't written in 5 minutes. Or maybe you're all superwizards.
    I'm a tuxedo mage, actually.

My game ran closer to 7 minutes, because I forgot to set a timer. I just free-associated and typed as quickly as I could.
  • Posted By: MatthijsPosted By: jdfristromLittlest Pet Shop RPG
    I'm reading this just after putting the kids to bed. My six-year-old daughter is falling asleep while the floor of her bedroom is covered in Littlest Pet Shop stuff.

LPS archipelago has been played here once! More or less.

Lpsrpg was than 5 minutes to write, but I did have a half-hour "playtest" before that...
  • Posted By: TomasHVMNIce little game, Hans! You are right; we are all SUPER-WIZARDS!!!
    I wrote Superwizard! up into an actual playable game (well, you can tell me if it's playable).
  • I posted this in my own thread before I found this one. Oops!

Conception
    For three to four players.

Whenever you do something, you do it. If someone thinks maybe you can't do it, you have to prove that motherfucker wrong. With only a six-sided die.

Roll it. On a 1, it goes horrendously wrong. Look at the person to your left (the sinister direction). Ask them how it goes horrendously wrong.

On a 6, it goes horrendously right. Seriously, horrendously. As in, you were not expecting it to go that well. Look at the person to your right (the righteous direction). Ask them how it goes horrendously right.

Anything in between is up to you. A 2 is worse than a 5, that's all I'm going to say.

Practice good scene framing, if you know how. You've played GMless games before, right? No?

Okay, then in the beginning you nominate someone to go first. That person decides whether to set the scene or let it be set. If the active player wants someone else to set the scene, they just have to point at someone and say "You. Tell me what the fuck is going on."

Say what's obvious. Just go with it. Take no more than five seconds to frame the scene. Describe how things are going in the scene until someone doubts you. Then roll for resolution (on the conflict level), and the player on your left becomes the active player. When play comes back around to you, start a new scene. If your last scene ended with an unacceptable cliffhanger, then go ahead and continue that scene. In general, try to start and end scenes in one turn.

There is no character generation or default setting. That will come in time, Padawan. By that I mean, just play the game to find out who you are and what you can do.
  • The Underground: a game about the shady background dealings of politicians.

You play a character who is either a politician, a flunky, or a hitman. Assign yourself a total of +0 between three stats: image, intimidation, violence. (between +3 and -3 for each). The stats don't reflect different types of actions, but rather different spheres. An "image" roll is called for whenever the public might hear about what's happening. An "intimidation" roll is called for whenever it happens behind close doors. A "violence" roll is called for whenever it happens in the dark, with no one around.

Use basic Apocalypse World dice mechanics (2d6, 10+ is total success, 7-9 partial success, 6- failure), and make sure to make the results fit the sphere of action. Get your bill passed.
  • edited June 2011
    Being My Wife
    In this littlest of role-playing games you get to play yourselves; a group of ordinary people.

The game starts with one of you happening upon a strange tunnel behind a cupboard. It may stand in the living-room of one of you, or at someones workplace. Crawling through the tunnel you end up in the head of someone close to one of you (roll a die, and let the high roller decide whose head you end up in). Whenever the head sneezes you are thrown out somewhere a bit removed from the location of the cupboard (outside the city, in a backyard on the other side of the city, etc.)

You take turns framing scenes inside and outside this head, selling tickets to the experience, exploring it yourself, trying to get something out of it, while trying your best to hinder the others from taking over the whole phenomenon ...

Whenever you are in a conflict, you roll a die against some other player. The high roller gets to tell how the conflict fares for you ...

Have fun!

Took me 5 minutes to the second! LOL
  • Joey and Peter: nice of you to resurrect this thread! And you've made two smart little games!
  • edited June 2011
    Intimacy
    To play this game you need to be 4-6 players. You sit on simple kitchen chairs, in a circle, as close as you can get. Really close!

And then you follow the routine described below.

The Promise
    Take hands in the circle, and promise each other to stay in-character in every scene you play in, and to stay in your seat until the game is over. Do this in a soft voice, together.

The Character
    The oldest player start talking very softly to the others, and the one to his left follow suit, with a soft woice, and so forth ...

- State your name first, one by one. Choose a name of your own gender.

- State your occupation, one by one.

- State a positive relation to one of the others, while touching him/her on the shoulder or the arm, or caressing his/her cheek. Do this one by one.

- State a negative relation to one of the others, while poking your index finger into his/her shoulder. Do this one by one.

The World
    One by one, starting with the oldest player, you say one thing about the world of these characters. When everyone has said one thing about the world, you are ready to start playing.

The Gameplay
    You take turns framing scenes. Each scene must consist of 2 or more characters. The one framing the scene decides who is in it.

When framing a scene you may make up new things about the world. And you place the characters wherever you want in the world. Speak softly while doing this, to keep the mood low and intense.

When the scene is framed and ready for interaction, the players of the included characters step into their roles, and talk as if they were there. talk softly, to indicate you are intimate with each other (intimate in a sore, friendly or sexual way, depending on the scene). If you say something about another character, indicating a change in his/her life, it counts as a truth for that character, and must be adhered to (so your character may become married by another character/player asking: "How is your wife these days?"). Make use of this fact to turn the screws on your relationships, for good or for bad ...

The one framing the scene may include new elements in it, and other characters (both player and non-player). He/she may give non-player characters to players not included in the scene, or play them him/herself.

The framer is the one ending the scene. He/she may end it whenever he want to, by saying CUT. Play then stops immediately. Do not make the scenes too long. Let it reach a turning-point, or a cliffhanger, and cut it. Let the story roll through all the scenes, not just one.

The player to the left becomes the new "framer". He/she'll be framing a new scene in the same way. The new scene may take place a minute, a day, a month or a year later.

Play continues like this until someone declares a last round. Each player will be framing a scene in the last round, and then all the characters gather in some place you agree on, and play out a scene with all of them present. If you got a dead character at this stage, it will still be present in the last scene, through memories you narrate for the others (small tidbits of words and happenings they remember about your character).

Let the last scene ends when you feel like it.

Take hands in a circle, and give thanks for the game.

Way over the time-limit with this one, but it's the kind of game I like to design, and play. Have a try!
  • edited June 2011
    Super Puroresu Fighter Tokyo Team

Every player brings his favorite wrestling or action figure.
    One player is the GM, or all players tell a story together.

Players tell what their characters do, and as long as nobody disagrees, the story unfolds naturally. Whenever there's conflict, the action figure must be shown in action, plus: the player can make appropriate sound effects.

A player who makes sound effects and plays with his action figure is allowed to roll 2D6. A silent player rolls only 1D6. A player without action figure gets the number 2.

Another player or the GM rolls 1D6 for the difficulty. If it's super difficult, he rolls 2D6.

The highest die wins the conflict.

4:51!
  • Super Puroresu Fighter Tokyo Team
    Supplement 1: Shooto!

1) A player whose action figure's uniform suggests that it should be especially able to solve a conflict, is allowed to roll one more die.
    2) Duragon Superplexo !: Once in a conflict, a character can attempt his signature move to resolve it. He can add +1 to his roll. If he fails the roll, he'll be at -1 for this move till he's successful.
    3) Players can also roll different die shapes, as long as every player is using the same.
  • CRITICAL HIT!

Every time your character does ANYTHING, roll for a critical hit.

1 You chop their head off!
    2 HEART EXPLODES (roll to see who's heart)
    3 No! You kill your mother instead! Or best friend, if mother isn't present.
    4 Yes, and no! But!
    5 You impale a limb and pin them to the wall!
    6 Roll twice, choose result.
  • Example of play:

Bobby and Karen are playing a game set in our world, our time. Their characters are Gustav and Friedrich, brothers, in their eighties. Gustav and Friedrich are sitting on a bench in the park.

Bobby: "Gustav is feeding the pigeons." He rolls a 1: Chop their head off! The pigeons die.

Karen: "Friedrich looks at you and asks: Why did you do that, Gustav?" She rolls a 2: HEART EXPLODES. She rolls to see whose heart, and it's Friedrich's.

Bobby: "Gustav sees you keel over. He turns pale and bends over your dead body." He rolls a 6: Roll twice, choose result. Another 6! Then he rolls 2, 2, 3. Will he kill his best friend (mother isn't present), or have his heart explode? A TOUGH NARRATIVE CHOICE. He decides to kill his best friend. "I call up Johan and tell him Friedrich is dead. Johan can't take the news, and he dies!"

Bobby stays quiet for a while, to make sure his character lives a little longer. Then he goes into passive narration, because he's such a munchkin. "The funeral was small, modest and quiet. In a few years, the cure for old age was finally found. As time went by, Gustav felt younger and youn-"

Karen: "Hah! HE FEELS SOMETHING! That's an action!"

Bobby: "Oh crap." He rolls a die, and gets a 6. Followed by 1 and 5. "Who's 'they'? I'm alone in this scene!"

Karen: "That means it's YOU!"

Bobby: "Oh crap. Okay, I impale a limb and pin myself to the wall."

Karen: "And then what?"

Bobby: "I wait. Oh, that's an action too." He rolls a 3. "Um, I already killed my best friend. And my mother still isn't present."

They house rule it, and let him reroll. 2.

Bobby: "MY HEART EXPLODES!"

End of game.
  • edited June 2011
    Wide Stance

This is a game for four players. You will collectively tell the story of a prominent conservative politician, who is also a closeted homosexual.

The first player is Lies. He tells everyone what the politician's political party's positions are on political issues, particularly those involving gay rights.

Once he has spoken, the second player, the Public Persona, speaks, describing his candidate's positions, and how those relate to the party's (more moderate/more extreme). Narrate the politician giving a public speech.

Then the third player speaks, acting as Damned Lies. Damned Lies describes the politicians secret urgings and actions behind closed doors to fulfill these actions. These urges and actions always run counter to the party's positions, the Persona's statements, or both.

Then the fourth player is Statistics, who tells us how opinions polls and the American people react to the politician's public acts. More extreme/bigoted political positions are rewarded, while more moderate ones punished.

Then you go back to the first player (Lies), and repeat the process. Repeat until the Damned Lies's actions are so extreme that he is exposed, or until the Statistics is so satisfied that the politician is elected King Forever.
  • edited June 2011
    Actually, Wide Stance might work better with three players, so the roles would rotate around the table, with each person trying out each role. (I.e., at the end of the first round the first player plays the fourth role, and the second player plays the first role, and so forth.) I guess we'll have to playtest it to see which version works better.

EDIT: Or five players, which would make the roles rotate the other way around.
  • I liked Matthijs's game so much I made a spin-off! (Warning: this actually took ten minutes to write.)

CRIT OR FUMBLE the RPG

You have a character, that character has stuff that’s cool and important and powerful and unique. Your character has 1d12 things of that nature . Your character is concerned with getting more stuff, as well as proving themselves. But things are going to go either really well or really poorly.

Whenever you perform a non-trivial action (one with a reasonable chance of meaningful failure), roll 1d12:

1: FUMBLE: You messed up really, really bad. Lose all your stuff but one thing. If you only had one thing or less, you die. Start a new character.
    2: FUMBLE: Seriously screwed up. Lose two things.
    3: FUMBLE: Ouch! Lose a thing from your screw up.
    4: FUMBLE: Well, at least you’re ok. Someone else loses a thing.
    5: FUMBLE: Hey, give that back! Choose someone to take a thing from you.
    6: FUMBLE: Well you failed, but somehow you managed to keep your stuff together. You still feel bad about it though. -1 on your next roll.
    7: CRIT: You succeeded really well! You don’t get anything but an inflated sense of confidence that gives +1 on your next roll.
    8: CRIT: The secret to success is hiding your sources. Take a thing from someone else.
    9: CRIT: Success, without credit. Someone else gets a thing.
    10: CRIT: Seriously nice! Get a thing for being so awesome!
    11: CRIT: HELLS YEAH! Get TWO things.
    12: CRIT: VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get 1d12 things, and celebrate how much of a badass you are. If this gives you 20 or more things, you get an awesome endgame, and can make a new character.

The objective of your action must be something related to another player, such as to break their thing or get a thing, but they’re stopping you.
  • Let Music be our Master

The group listens to a couple of songs that are somehow appropriate to the genre or setting they want to play in.
    Each player has a stack of 20 file cards or similar material.
    Then they listen to the songs, maybe talk about the upcoming adventure, and when inspiration strikes them, write one word, only one word, on a card.
    When they want to write more words down, they should use one card for each word.

After all the songs have been played, all the cards are shuffled and the entire deck is set in the middle of the table. Each player draws one card, or, if there are less than three, two cards.
    These cards describe the situation the characters are in.

Then, the players do the very same thing, but this time for the endgame.
    Those cards describe the situation that ends the game.

Then, the rest of the cards in the deck is divided between the players, face down.

Whenever conflict arises, the player draws one of his cards for the character in question, and the opposing party or another player draws one of his cards.
    Everybody at the table compares the meaning of the words on the cards, and thus, how the conflict is resolved (or continues).

Play till the endgame is reached, or people don't want to play any more.
  • Matthijs wins the internet.
  • Posted By: norbertgmatauschLet Music be our Master
    A small jewel of a game! Thanks for sharing, Norbert!
  • SPLIT

A solitaire story-creation device. you need a deck of cards. Each card represents a small chapter of a character. The rank will represent the story elements in the chapter, while the suit represents the character herself.

Flip over a card. Create a character and write a little story with that character. Stop the story at some important decision/discovery point for that character. Also, make a note of the card that was played for this character.

Flip over a new card. To figure out the new chapter. Details on what you write are based on relating the the suit and rank of the previous chapters.

SUIT:
    If it is the same suit, continue with the story. if it is a black card, a new character is created somehow by the character you were just involved with in the story. Maybe the character fell asleep and in dreaming this new character and storyline, or maybe the character is writing a story, or creating a delusion. If it is a red card, then you need to create a new character and story line based on the new character who just got done finishing writing/creating/dreaming the story from the previous chapter.

If the suit has already been used as a chapter, then "go back" and continue with that character's story.

Go back and compare all of the previous chapters, looking for a matching rank. For each chapter that you have written previously that matches the rank, you must use a story element from those chapters (in some regard) in the new chapter you are going to write (even though those previous chapters used different characters).

Eventually you will have 4 characters, each assigned to a particular suit, each of them somehow "in a chain" writing/creating/dreaming/deluding one of the other characters. Story elements will wind up crossing over across characters, with the hope that it will seem like characters are creating new characters in order to better understand or solve issues that they are having in their life.

GAME ENDS:
    When the fourth matching rank is dealt, this will be the last chapter (a Four-of-a-Kind has been dealt throughout the entire game). "Collapse" all of the characters down in a final ending chapter that wraps up the story.
  • The Perfect Caper

A roleplaying poem for 3-5 players.

Each player takes the role of a criminal executing the perfect score. Go around the table and have each player pick their "title". No names are necessary.

"The Fixer" makes the payoffs and greases the wheels
    "The Muscle" is there when things go wrong
    "The Mechanic" takes care of breaking and entering
    "The Brains" thinks everything out and plans it to a tee
    "The Getaway" is ready to extract the team at a moment's notice

Next go around the table and have each player describe something about the valuables they are after. Nothing more than a phrase, like "shines like a jewel" or "fits in a shoebox".

Then each player writes down a sentence about what could possible go wrong on a small piece of paper, using their title and in the past tense. Such as "The Getaway parked illegally" or "The Mechanic broke a drill bit". Fold the piece of paper in half and throw it in the middle of the table.

Guess what...the caper went bad, and you are now all in a jail holding cell awaiting interrogation. Go around the table and have each player give a sentence or two about how they were going to spend their share of the loot. Then start with "but things went south when..." and pick up a piece of paper and read from it. If it's the piece of paper you wrote, mumble something while you throw that one back and grab another to read from.

Once everyone is done, make sure you look each other player in the eye and try to figure out who is solid and who is not.

Finally, everyone should close their eyes. Hold your right hand out in front of you, thumb up if you stay silent and take the rap, and thumb down if you rat on your friends for freedom. Keep holding it.

Open your eyes.
  • There is a goddamn body in the back

Movie night: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, "Pine Barrens" episode of The Sopranos, etc. etc.

Play in a car with at least two players.

There is somebody in the trunk of the car, or perhaps the backseat. They are dead, or at best tied up and unconscious. Establish who it is, how it happened, whose fault it is that they are there, what needs to happen with them, whether the stains will ever come out. Yell a lot.

It is important to drive safely, otherwise you will attract the attention of the police, if they search the car it is all over.

The game ends when you reach your destination or everybody is giggling.
  • That one is bloody beautiful, Evan! I'm tempted to let you win the thread ...
  • Don't Panic

Everyone is a researcher for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, except one sucker, who plays The Guide. Play in a bar, for obvious reasons.

Researchers:
    Obtain a piece of paper.
    Write your name at the top of the paper.
    Right under the name, write DON'T PANIC in big friendly letters.
    Researchers have 2 stats: Froodidity and Towel. Divide 12 points between the two stats.
    Write down the names of the other researchers. After each name write “owes me __ drinks.” The blank starts at 0.

For any action where effectiveness, ingenuity, or style is at stake, roll 1d12+froodidity. Any result 12+ is a success.

For any action where life, limb, or other vital item is at stake, roll 1d12+towel. Any result 12+ is a success. Narrate how you use your towel to get out of trouble.

If you fail, another player can save your bacon. They roll +froodidity or +towel, as appropriate.
    If they succeed, you are both safe. You now owe them a drink.
    If they fail, you both need saving. Or maybe you die.

Guide:
    Mediate the game. Play happens in 4 stages.

1. Consulting the Guide
    Give the researchers a topic from the guide, and a few key facts from the topic. The researchers must test the accuracy of the facts. Make the facts outrageous, impossible, dangerous, and ridiculous.

2. Making the Plan
    The researchers discus how to go about proving/disproving the facts given. Roleplay scenes about getting supplies, questioning the natives, etc.

3. Carrying out the Plan
    Set up and run the experiment, go out to the field and make observations. Make mistakes, get messy. Bring your towel.

4. Getting Drunk
    Pay off any drinks owed. Discuss your findings. Decide on a new, revised guide entry. The new entry doesn't have to be accurate, or based off any real findings. Get drunk.

(20 minutes, but hell if I'm going to write all that then not put it up :P )
  • Nice one, Elias! I really like the stage "Getting Drunk"; kind of implies that getting drunk is what it's all about ... ;-)
  • edited July 2011
    Dominos of Destiny (Dude! for short)

Everyone at the table makes a character, you get six descriptive attributes, assign them a number.
    Four of these attributes should generally be positive and two should be negative.

Flip down and scramble the dominos, each player draws five secretly.

[Five is good for a short game with up to five people. There are 28 dominos in a Double Six pack. And, there are 55 in a Double Nine pack. If using double nines, each player has six postive and three negative numbered attributes.]

Play begins with the owner of the dominos although they can pass that role to anyone around the table if desired and accepted. Play proceeds around the table clockwise.

The first player sets the scene and then plays one of their hidden dominos. Depending on what pips are shown, the player has to advance the story based on those attributes.

For example, player A has:

1: Kung Fu fighter
    2: Karaoke King
    3: Drives the Girls Wild
    4: Strong, silent type (when not on stage)
    5: Alcoholic
    6: Hunted by the Mob

If player A reveals a 2/5 tile, they have to narrate something about singing and drinking. If the tile is a double, it has some wild and chaotic effect on the story.

If the played domino has a blank, it's a wild card, but it's always narrated as a failure and the player may even end up being hurt. If a player has to play the double blank (and it should always be played last from their hand), that character is taken out usually in a serious way. But, as a double wildcard, they can describe it however they like.

Play continues around the table until all the tiles have been played. It is the job of the last player with the last tile to wrap the story up.
    --
    TAZ

Designer's note: [After the five minute limit] The scene framing happens after character creation and the tile draw, that's intentional. Hopefully, that means the starting player's character and tiles should have some impact on the scene.

This game was inspired by someone mentioning that Nuemon used dominos. That got the brain into a game design freefall* that I had to write down. :-) Thanks SG forum!

* As in falling down a rabbit hole...
  • Down the Street on Your Head While Telling Stories of Camels

Throw three coins:

When all are head, all players stand on their heads. The player to stand on his head longest wins a point.
    When all are tails, all players hold the yoga camel pose. The player to hold the pose longest wins a point.
    When two are tails and one is head, all players tell a long story continuously. The player to laugh last wins a point.
    When two are heads and one is tails, all players head down the street. The player to reach the end last wins a point.

When one player has 3 points, he wins.
  • Games still popping in ...

Todd; a very simple game, nice read. Smart system. I like it!

Bryan; impossible! At least for a man like me; old and stiff! Let the young ones dare it ...
  • edited July 2011
    CRAZYYY

- Make a character; let it be a historic figure; give it a name, and 3-5 traits that express its abilities (whatever you know of them; if you do not know, then make up something plausible). Value the traits from 1 (weak) to 5 (strong).

- Do not look at what characters others are making, until every one of you have finished. Then you all say your name, and start the game.

- Take turns setting scenes; in your scene you play your character. The other players play therapists, trying to help you with you delusions.

- The therapists may make use of any medicine or other "treatment" they believe will help ... One of them, or all, may barge in on your scene (and your room, of course) whenever they like to, even if the scene is you escaping from the asylum (there is no escape).

- The other players have total control over the physical world. They may use any amount of force necessary to restrain you. And they may nullify anything your character tries to do (but not what he/she says), by saying that what the character think is there, don't actually exist.

- You may protest to their treatment of you by using one of your traits. If you succeed in rolling a T6 equal to or lower than your trait, you succeed in protesting, and may do something to prolong the time before you give up and comply. You may never use the same trait twice in one scene. If you roll higher, you must comply to their treatments. BUT: you may try to break free of their spell, if you still got traits to use. If you got no traits to use, you must comply totally to all their demands and treatments.

- The scene will only end if you comply totally with the demands and treatments they give you in the scene.

- Every trait you have used in a scene, will be reduced by one point for the rest of the game. Traits that are reduced to 0 (zero) are said to be "healed". The therapists may praise you for the "good progress".

- When all have been subjected to three scenes as "nuts", you play a final scene; the Xmas party at the madhouse. You have been placed around the same table, and been restrained in some way to your seat (by belts, straight-jackets, total psychic domination, or heavy medicine; you choose). Start by telling, one by one, how your character sit by the table. The the scene is open for dialogue; you may try to talk to each other, to ask the therapists for food or drink, to remember your real name, to find your sanity, whatever ... by verbal means only.

- Play this scene until all of you are really, really happy, or totally broken, or strangely removed from the real world.

Have fun!
  • Here's one I wrote four years ago.

Medium
    Voila, le MJ, c'est le medium et les joueurs jouent des participants a une seance de spiritisme. Tout les persos sont la parce qu'ils ont un probleme dans leur vie qu'ils veulent resoudre. Ce probleme est decidé par chaque joueur au depart. Ils choississent aussi un nom et repartissent 10 points de characteristiques parmi Corps, Esprit, Intellect (max 5, min 1).

Le MJ commence par decrire un contacte. "Je vois un homme, un vieux qui est passé au-dela. Il s'appelle Robert, ..."

Quand un joueur a envi de participer, il leve la main et dit ce que le contacte veut dire pour lui. "Oui, c'est mon oncle. Il nous a quitté la semaine derniere".

Maintenenant, le jeu se deroule en flashback pour completer la feuille de perso de celui qui a eu le contacte. Pour chaque flashback les autres joueurs vont jouer les PnJ et le MJ va jouer le contacte. Les PnJ ont 8 points de characteristiques et une competence et le contacte 12 points et trois competences.

Chaque flashback est une scene (comme un Accomplishment de Dogs in the Vineyard) ou le perso va determiner une de ses competences. Par exemple, une scene ou on va voir si le perso peut faire confiance a son Oncle. Si oui il gagne la competence "Je fait confiance aux autres". Si non, "Je ne fait pas confiance aux autres".

Le systeme de resolution c'est 1d6 par point de characteristique + 2 par competence applicable. Un 5 ou un 6, c'est une reussite. Face au un autre perso, c'est le nombre de reussites de chaque cote qui determine la victoire, sinon le MJ choisi un niveau de difficulté. Ce systeme resoud des actions dans la scene. En fin de scene les joueurs votent pour quelle competence le PJ gagne.

On peut resoudre un PJ a la fois, ou chacun prend un tour pour une competence.

Une fois que le perso a quatre competences, on passe a essayer de resoudre le probleme qui a ete choisi au depart.
  • Q & A

Take turns asking each other questions. Answers to the questions become part of the fiction. You can not put something into the fiction unless it's the answer to a question. You must answer the question posed to you or say, 'I don't know, what do you think?' and pass the question on to someone else. If you answer a question, you are the next player who asks. Don't break previously established fiction.
  • GRIMDARK

When your character tries something risky or uncertain, roll a d12.

1 Critical Failure
    2-3 Failure
    4-6 Mitigated Failure
    7-9 Mitigated Success
    10-11 Success
    12 Critical Success

The GM will narrate what happens using the dice result as a guideline.

Each player also starts each session with a pool of five GRIM points and five DARK points. After any roll, they may spend one of these points to reroll the die: however, if they spent a GRIM point, something bad happens to them, the success comes with some price, cost, or personal hardship attached, or the failure's just a little bit worse than it would have been otherwise. If they spent a DARK point, something bad happens to someone else. The GM may, after the roll, elicit suggestions from the players as to the consequences of any and all GRIMDARK point(s) spent and go with whichever suggestions strikes them as best, or come up with their own as they see fit.

Collectively come up with rules for getting more GRIMDARK points if you need them.
  • Posted By: GB SteveHere's one I wrote four years ago.

Medium
    Voila ...
    I understood as much, and then no more. :-(

Jamie; your simplistic Q & A is a beauty! I'm considering making games to fit in one single playing card, and publishing them as a deck. Then anyone may draw a card, and play the game on it. This one would be perfect for it.

Ben: having players dishing out bad stuff to each other is good. It makes for some revengeful games, with a lot of tension and creativity.
  • edited July 2011
    Family Photos

You start by finding some family photos, preferably in an album.

One of you opens the album, and start framing the scene when the first photo was taken, taking one of the persons on the picture to play. Hold the album for all to see, while framing the scene. If there are other persons on the picture, anyone may chip in, to play them. One player may even take the role of the photographer. The scene ends when the picture is taken.

Then you pass the album to the next player, and repeat the procedure with another photo. The next player may choose any photo, but should not go too fast forward. Try to make this scene connect to the other one in some way (using the same people is enough, for now).

As you play out scenes in this way, you should try to establish relations between the persons in the photos, and then to develop those relations.

If a person ends up dead, any other photo with him/her in it, should be played out with his/her ghost present (playing ghosts should be done with whispers, and only words, no visible actions).

When you reach the end of the album, the game is over.

Have a good game!
  • Posted By: TomasHVMJamie; your simplisticQ & Ais a beauty!
    Thanks! You inspired me to start aforum thread to try it out.

If you make your game, of course you can use it.