5 minutes game-challenge

Comments

• Cliche Bingo

This needs another structure to hang off.

The participents make a list of elements that they would like to see in their game. Make a unique random bingo card for each player. Half the entries are "Your character does..". The other half are "Someone elses character does..".

Play the game. When a player fills in a row they shout "BINGO" or "CLICHE" or "TROPE" or whathaveyou.
  • edited August 2011
    Disaster Movie structure

This structure is sadly lacking in a set of motivations for the players. It is more a way to arrange a 5 member play group.

Player 1 is the designer or driver of the 'New Awesome Thing -cum- Deathtrap'. They have authorial rights over the THING, but little narrative control once the disaster gets underway. Nonetheless they are free to add details to their description whenever they like.

Player 2 is the Cassandra figure. They may be a professional rival to P1 or an ivestigator chasing up some sort of irregularity. They get to describe the disaster, and it's offscreen and backscreen condsequences.

Player 3 is a personable figure. They have narrative rights over the fates and responses of the many innocents caught up in the disaster zone.

Player 4 is the guy with the cellphone/ walkie-talkie / mayoral chain. They narrate the reactions an interests from the outside world.

Player 5 is a maverick or immature prodigy. They get to say how other players' attempts to cope with the disaster.

Narration should be done in character by preference.

[oh dear.. more than 5mins between the two. I guess I'm a slow typer.]
  • Don't Rock the Canoe

Say what you do to rock the canoe. Your partner says what he does to stop the canoe from rocking. Continue until the actions becomes so outlandish that one player gives in.
  • Sharp Things

A Teensy Weensy FATE game.

The skills are stabbing, slashing, and witty repartee. Pick one to be +2, the other two are +1.

You get one aspect. It should say what kind of sharp-thing-wielding guy you are, like "Looking for a partner on the two-man saw team" or "Hidden Temple ninja".

Scenario: Characters all meet at a knife expo. Everyone wants to purchase limited edition knives and find the best hotel room parties.
  • Posted By: BryanDon't Rock the Canoe
    Simply brilliant! LOL
    Posted By: silbySharp Things
    I read the +2 and +1 to be bonuses to the players, and that made me think you could use any die to play this game, one player getting +2 to all his rolls, while the other would get +1, and it seemed marvelously unfair ... but then I realized that you gave those numbers in relation to the skills, and FATE, and that made it less so.

Still; it's a sketch with a promise ...

Thanks for sharing!
  • edited August 2011
    Moved to another thread.
  • edited August 2011
    We played Explorers! today in our little story games meet up. We all drew maps, and then rolled to see who would be the mapper (and set the other maps aside).

The explorers didn’t tell the mapper what they were looking for, and we didn’t even come close to finding it (by chance, both explorers wanted to find their slave brothers; neither was particularly focused).

The mapper didn’t have experience as a GM or story gamer, but fell very comfortably into the roll. A lot of it slipped into free form; having a ‘When you take an action’ move like the ‘While travelling’ and ‘Whenever you reach a destination’ moves might have encouraged us to return to the dice as arbiters.
    One thing he struggled to do was find names on the fly. Perhaps the mapping process should include a list of names. It was also unclear if the mapper explained the map to us before we made characters, or if the map was the only evidence we had of the world.

The adventure began in Dragonreach, in the far south of the Empire. I was a successful plantation owner (we grew firespice) who, as it turned out, had freed his family slaves. Gareesh Grogan of House Grogan, Grogan family, I called myself (it was important to distinguish us from the Bastard Grogans).

The map made it clear that slavery and mithril were important, and that the region was tropical and volcanic. Because ‘something unexpected’ was run into (a blind man claiming to be able to navigate treacherous waters to an unknown and unexplored island rich in mithril), that became our priority.

To disguise our plan to raise a fleet in Freehaven, we took a shipment of weapons to Fort Doomhammer, where mithril had been used to channel molten lava from an active volcano into walls and fortifications. From there we travelled to Freehaven, a hidden city of ex-slaves who lived in a communist utopia. The women there were named after flowers, but I discovered that Rose had her thorns and a Lily by any other name would smell as sweet.

We made it through the treacherous waters to the unnamed island, duelled with the locals (who fought with weapons roughly hewn from mithril ore) and made a trading agreement.

I really enjoyed it. I think it’s a gentle introduction to the GM’s position because the mapper has inspiration in front of them and the plot is all player-directed. I think the endgame could use some work; I’m not sure that rolling a 6 after reaching a destination is the best way to do it (we just finished up after 4 hours).

(Assuming the game and supplement took 10 minutes to write, we played Explorers! for 24 times longer than it took to write.)
  • Glad you liked Explorers! Chris. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

I agree that the endgame could use some work, and I'm definitely in agreement on the list of names thing (I love lists as sources of inspiration personally).

I was already planning on expanding the game a bit sometime, but you've definitely inspired me to knock that up my list of priorities.
  • edited August 2011
    Posted By: TomasHVMSAVE THE WORLD!

You play yourself, and so do the other players.
    You have gathered to discuss how you may save the world.
    As you start discussing what such ordinary people like you can do, things start happening ...
    Played this tonight! It was fun and easy, solving every single problem in the world, and then retiring to unassuming lives in various parts of a peaceful globe.

And then we played some standard hack'n slash! It did not go well. Two of them died. The other two accomplished nothing. Sigh!
  • PAN

Game for three players. Each person gets a character:

Mother
    Nurturing & Oversure
    "Mother knows best."

Hook
    Experienced & Cynical
    "This has happened before."

Pan
    Magical being of wild abandon.
    Creative & Reckless
    "Play with me."

A fourth character, Child is not played by anyone.

1. Place 12 child dice (d6) in the middle of the table. Place 1 die in each player's pool.

2. Play rotates clockwise. Pan begins.

3. When it's your turn, you are the active player. Describe what you do to benefit the child. Describe your actions and speak in character.
    3a. The player to your right acts as a foil, responding in character and describing their actions.
    3b. The active player then makes one short statement. The foil then does the same.

4. Each player rolls the number of dice in their pool, and takes the highest number shown. Whoever has the highest score wins the turn: take 2 dice from the center, or 1 from your opponent.
    4a. Ties are decided by the player to your left.

5. Repeat steps 3-4 until the last die has been taken from the center.

6. The player with the most dice narrates the epilogue.
  • "Pan" seems like it would be unbalanced very quickly. Probably, this can be fixed by spending more than five minutes making the system work. Nice game otherwise, though.
  • edited August 2011
    Hunting the Beast

You play hunters in pursuit of a beast. Everything rides on your success, but you won't succeed.

Play passes clockwise. Begin with a round of strengths - each player describes their character's strength. Follow with a round of failings - each character describes a weakness, foible, bad reputation or vulnerability.

When it's your turn, roll d6 to see what challenge you face.

1. Hopelessness - no sign of the beast in three days; the trail has gone cold.
    2. Elements - the weather or the terrain rises against you
    3. Feud - argument erupts within the group
    4. Suspicion - your fellow hunters suspect you of something
    5. Privation - something in your supplies has run out
    6. The Beast - the group faces the beast in combat, but unsuccessfully

The player to your left describes the challenge, and why the challenge is yours in particular.

Roll your pool of 3D6, taking the highest die. If you score a 5 or 6, you are successful! Narrate your success. Otherwise, you have failed. Surrender a die from your pool. If you surrender your last die, describe your character's death.

To avoid surrendering a die, you may Pass on the Pain. Nominate another character, and describe how you pass on the pain. Do you convince the group the failure is his or her fault? Are you merely brutal? Both players roll their pools, taking the lowest die. Whoever scores the lowest surrenders a die.

When you are the only player left alive, you face the beast. The player to your left describes the encounter; you describe your actions. Roll your pool - if you score 4 or better on any die, you have won.
  • Posted By: Mr. Teapot"Pan" seems like it would be unbalanced very quickly. Probably, this can be fixed by spending more than five minutes making the system work. Nice game otherwise, though.
    You're right; the problem might be solved by starting everyone with two dice. My hope is that the end game would result in a lot of ties.
  • If you want the endgame to have a lot of ties, you need to have a negative feedback loop, where you have a positive one. As it is, the guy who wins a contest will probably win more. But you want the guy in first place to lose more often, so that others can catch up.
  • Four Courses

4 Unlikely dinner companions share a four-course meal. The first person describes the venue, then play passes to the left. Each person answers: Who are you? Why are you here tonight? What do you need from tonight's conversation? (The answer to an urgent mystery? A confession from one of the other guests? Acceptance of your advances?) Say this out loud, though if you like, the other players' characters may not be aware of your character's objective.

When the fourth player has answered, move play to his or her left. This player announces the course of food which arrives. Each player privately chooses their demeanor in the conversation that will follow.

Disgust
    Outrage
    Curiosity
    Delight

The announcing player opens conversation. The course (and its conversation) ends after five or ten minutes. The player to the left then announces the next course. You may not choose the same demeanor twice.

After the last course, go around the table. Were your needs met? Where does your character go after dinner?
  • Nice little game, Michael! I'm curious to how it will play out.
  • edited August 2011
    Posted By: Mr. Teapot"Pan" seems like it would be unbalanced very quickly. Probably, this can be fixed by spending more than five minutes making the system work. Nice game otherwise, though.
    This is a lot more balanced than it would look at first reading...
    ...oh, nevermind. I see how it is brokn now.
  • edited August 2011
    Old West Gunfight

You're a gunslinger from the old west, either a lawman or outlaw. You're in a gunfight.

Write three ways you gunfight.

Write three reasons that you're in the gunfight.

Play starts with the person that suggested the game and goes clockwise.

On your turn, say the way you're gunfighting and who you're gunfighting, and roll a d6

Result:
    1-2 You miss and your opponent says what happened and adds a reason to why you gunfight.
    3-4 You got hit, you say what happened and remove a way you gunfight.
    5-6 You hit, your opponent says what happened and he removes a way he gunfights.

When all your reasons are lost, you ride away. When all the ways you gunfight are gone, you die.

If you are a lawman and attack another lawman, you change to an outlaw.

Outlaws can fight dirty. To fight dirty roll a d6

1-3 You bite your opponent's ear off. He must fight you on his next turn.
    4-6 You kick you opponent where the sun don't shine and you get an extra way to gunfight.

Last man standing wins.
  • Land The Shark - an Archipelago II hack

Together we decide on a TV show or series of novels that jumped the shark. Each of us chooses a favorite character from just before the episode or chapter where it shark-jumped. We assign destinies and play Archipelago II as per the Archipelago II rules, and see if we can do a better job than the original writers.
  • Terminator 0 Larp

The players play themselves from 24 hours in the future, sent back in time to prevent something awful from occurring. Unfortunately, a side effect of the time travel process is a little memory loss.

Characters must interact with non-time-travelers to alter the timeline without revealing the fact that they are from the future. At the same time, they must determine the nature of the disaster.

Players lose if anyone learns they are playing a game. They must interact with non-players, changing something sig ificant a out their day. Once they have done this, they write down at most one sentence describing what they prevented. After at least 6 things have been prevented, the agents reconvene with the cards to figure out what the terrible event was.
  • LOL! It's a damn pervasive game, Pete!

This one could be posted in the "LARP on a card challenge"-thread as well.
  • Posted By: jdfristromLand The Shark - an Archipelago II hack

Together we decide on a TV show or series of novels that jumped the shark. Each of us chooses a favorite character from just before the episode or chapter where it shark-jumped. We assign destinies and play Archipelago II as per the Archipelago II rules, and see if we can do a better job than the original writers.
    Fonzie approves.

(Love that you posted a hack in the five-minute challenge. Cool idea!)
  • Indeed, at the reconvene, how much narrative control is there? For example, can you say that you rescued a puppy which saved a girl from looking which prevented her from getting hit by a car so she lived to invent a cure to the zombie plague? Positive social change, the speculative fiction LARP? :-)
    --
    TAZ
  • Ok, if it needs more structure on the back end, each player may assert one fact about the disaster for each card collected. Players should then collaboratively work out how their actions prevented it (or didn't!)
  • edited October 2011
    All in all we have posted a mind-boggling 72 games in this thread! Huzzah!

This one's my current personal favorite:
    Posted By: BryanDon't Rock the Canoe

Say what you do to rock the canoe. Your partner says what he does to stop the canoe from rocking. Continue until the actions becomes so outlandish that one player gives in.
    LOL!
  • Looking back, one of my entries became the seed for my game chef 2011 entry, after a fair showing and some good feedback, I wrote version 2.0, played that a few times and will be running it at MonkeyCon next weekend. I'm pleased with the evolution of the idea so far.
    --
    TAZ
  • We played Explorers! again and I have some thoughts on changes to make to the game (or areas that need changes). I've put them all in their own thread, Exploring Explorers! I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • Inspired by Let Music be our Master
    and a certain GM who once actually blurted out the title of this game, which is:

Ninjas with guitairs break through the wall!

Start your computer or ipod, use your entire mp3-collection (the bigger and more diverse the better) activate 'Shuffle' and hit 'Play'.

While the first song plays, the players come up with a setting inspired by that song, character names and a goal the characters are competing for.

With the next song, the actual game begins.
    The starting player A frames a scene for the player B to his right, describing what trouble the character currently faces. As long as the song plays, he has narrative authority.
    As soon as the song ends, player B gets narrative authority and must describe how his character comes up with a solution for the trouble imposed to him by player A. Then, he frames a scene for the player to his right.
    Repeat - every time a new song starts, it's the next players turn, first solving his characters problem, then coming up with a problem for the player to his right.

Everything narrated must match the mood and tone of the current song as good as possible.

A player looses if:
    * he can''t finish resolving his scene and framing the next before his song reaches its end
    * everybody agrees that his narration doesn't fit the mood of the song
    If a player looses, his character is eliminated from play and the next player can narrate his death before framing the next scene.
    The last player surviving wins.
  • I like it, Martin. It needs some work, but the main idea of using a random play-list to set mood and inspire free-from story-gaming is good! Really something to play around with!
  • I had this idea for years since that one incident when a Rammstein song accidently showed up in a playlist with quiet music and made the GM blurt out what I quoted above. But I never really tried to implement it before I came uon this challenge. So any ideas and suggestions about how to turn it into a playable game are welcome.
  • edited November 2011
    A normal tune takes 2-3 minutes to play out. That'a a pretty long time for a scene, especially if one person is going to narrate the whole time. Having one person frame the scene as the tune starts, and then to open it up for interaction pretty damn fast, is advisable. And then you let the tune end the scene, whatever the situation is. That means the next player may have to come up with how it played out, and what consequences it had, but that is ok. The gist of the game is still in the interaction.

Interaction beats narration any day! ;-)

I believe it may turn out an insanely fun game to play, if you are able to "tune in on the real game" here, so to speak.

PS; make a new version, and take it to anew thread, if you want to discuss it further.
  • edited November 2011
    OPERA MOBILE

In this game you play very serious and pompous heroes. Pick a grand name for your heroes, and start the game.

You take turns setting scenes, going from the oldest player and to the left. Setting a scene is easy; you sing!
    This is what you sing when setting a scene:
    - Who is there; I or we
    - Where are I/we
    - What is happening

Who ...
    - is indicated by starting the song with "I" or "we".

If you sing "I" it is you alone, possibly with some minor character. If you introduce a minor character, any other player may jump in to play it, singing his/her voice in the scene.

If you sing "we", all the players will have to play their own hero in the scene, and everything said or done by any minor characters should be described in point of view of your character(s).

Example: We raged against the villain! We raged, we aged in anger before his eyes! But he was unscathed by our wrath, growing as it fed him, black robe dancing around his powerful form! Dancing-dancing-dancing around his form! And the foul fiend laughed at us, shouting, yes shouting; none shall survive! None-none-none shall suuuurviiive!

Where ...
    - is indicated by singing about the place. Be short; one or two details are enough. You are the one deciding where the scene takes place. Others should not give advice on it. Sing it out with little care for consequences! Any scene is fine! You will make it work, together.

Example: We were standing on the pier! The tempest raging all around us!

What ...
    - is indicated by singing what is happening. The minute you have indicated something is happening in the scene, you should let other players into the scene, so you may sing choirs and duets, and have fun together.

Example: In the sunrise I saw her, sweat Aurora, coming towards me with flames in her hair! Oh, my love! Oh, my angel! Oh, my burning heart! She came towards me, and sung the words of beauty, the ones I had longed to hear ... (player looking meaningfully at other players, willing any one of them to jump in to sing Auroras part, and "the words of beauty" ...).

End your scene by "conducting" it with your hands, indicating a stop and silence. And then you give the initiative over, with a polite and silent nod, to the player on your left.

Go forward ...
    - by making leaps of time and faith! Let new scenes jump ahead, and be somewhere else, something new happening. It is very nice to create new developments or twists in the drama, and it is very nice to introduce new elements. Don't sing about what has taken place between scenes. If need be, it will be revealed in the things you sing in the scenes.

Challenges ...
    - is a road to great fun in this game. Doing challenges, and answering them, makes the game come alive between you. Of course you may fail to make something grand out of it, if challenged to do just that, but that is ok. There is only fun to be had in "failing"! Any clumsy wording and tune will add to the beauty of this game. You are all excellently equipped, by clumsiness, to participate! Enjoy any clumsiness!

In one of the examples above, players are challenged to sing "words of beauty". One of them should rise to the challenge, of course, and sing something to that effect. Even if the words sung is an overdone cliché, you should all treat them as "words of beauty". They have been introduces as such, and that is what they should be considered to be, in the drama. There is much fun to be had by saying stupid things, and treating them as the deepest wisdom.

Sing ...
    - it out! All of you will sing everything you do and say, as the heroes.

Keep to the singing, even the bits about going to the loo or Pleeease pass the chiiips! Aaand the diiip!

There is no need to say anything in a normal voice as long as you play this game. Be silly and loony!

And don't mind it if the the opera you make gets plot-bugged; that is all fine! Go on anyway, inventing unbelievable solutions and connections, until the heroes have prevailed, or have become the lamentable victims of a grand tragedy, somehow ...

Have fun!
  • Crossposted to G+!

So several years ago I made a quick and simple little RPG as a stocking stuffer for a gaming friend. As far as I know, she never played it. A few months ago at work, I was bored and whipped up a quick "Revised" edition as part of the 5-minute game design challenge, basically recreating it from memory, and I just found my notes on it. So now I'm typing it up in all its redesigned-in-five-minutes glory as a late-in-the-day Christmas Present for all of you. Enjoy!

TINY ROBOTS SAVE THE UNIVERSE (Revised Edition)

You are a band of tiny robots, who by circumstance or design now have to save the universe. Why is the universe in peril? And why is it up to a group of tiny robots to save it? That's up to you as a group to determine.

Each player comes up with one to three Components. Things like Rocket Jets or 'Advanced Computronium Core or Blinking Red Light or things like that. Also come up with what they do, writing each on an index card. Shuffle them all up.

Each player starts with 100 build points. Reveal the first card, bid on it, highest bidder gets the component, repeat until all the components are distributed. The GM gets 100 points as well to bid for the Bad Robot.

After bidding, each player (and the Bad Robot) gets an Action Score equal to the number of players (including the GM) who have less build points remaining than them, plus one.

When you do something risky or uncertain, roll a number of d6 equal to your action score, plus any modifiers for Components. The GM sets the difficulty (they can roll dice instead of setting a specific number, if they want.)

Good luck saving the universe!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you very much! And may you yourself have a very Merry Christmas too, Ben!

Your tiny robots is crawling into my Xmas-mind, trying to save whatever fantasy-worlds there are, in peril, in my imaginative depths! I feel that my imagination will be ... safer ... for it. Huzza!
  • edited December 2011
    It's a Nice Day
    - roleplaying an alternate reality
    - by Tomas HV Mørkrid

In this game you play yourselves. You need to be 3-5 grown up people with children, houses, cars, jobs, mortgages, etc.

Start the game by making a bunch of notes on calamities you may experience in your life; things like your house burning down, children being hurt/dying, cars crashing, loosing your job, your arm, your wife, etc. Anything you can think of should be jotted down on the cards. Anything but the death of yourself.
    - Do it in secret. Don't share the content of you cards.
    - Write in short and clear paragraphs, as the cards will be shared.
    - The cards are laid in one great pile, and mixed.

Example of cards:
    - Garage burned down
    - Grandmother died
    - Lost a leg
    - Denoted to errand-boy

Playing the game:
    This is a game about a jolly bunch of friends. They meet up on the soccer-field, at the bus-stop, in the super-mall, anywhere obvious and unoriginal you can think of.

Before each scene you pick a card, at random, from the pile in the center of the table. This has just happened to you. It's up to you to explain how and why. You don't have to be original in doing so; loosing a leg in a car-crash, f.ex., is quite good enough.

Start each scene by saying where you are, and point to one or two others who are there too, meeting you. Picking the same location several times is very nice. Varying who is present in a scene, is very nice. Try to include your fellow players in equal amounts of scenes.

- You always start the dialogue in the scene by saying "Hi!", and asking each other "How do you do?"
    - when someone ask you, the one who picked the card, you may say something like this; "I'm well, thank you! My wife left me this morning ..."
    - and then you proceed to say how this has made your life BETTER. The other ones interviewing you about that fact, possibly offering some sympathy. You must insist on NOT needing any pity or sympathy. You are a JOLLY guy/girl, in JOLLY company!

- Calamities already on the heads of people not present in the scene, may also be discussed. Loads of sympathy may be heaped on the head of those not present! You gossip about their misfortunes, with as much energy as you praise your own luck in loosing your wife, child, house, car, job, arm, etc.

Go on like this until one of you declare he/she is DEAD, in a scene, insisting on being the ghost of your late self, come back to tell the others how JOLLY the burning fires of Hell really is! That's the last scene.
    - Anyone may initiate this scene, by claiming to be dead when the dialogue in their scene opens.
    - Play out the scene as normal.
    - Interviewing a jolly guy/girl from Hell should be interesting.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    76 games!

I wonder if there's any chance we'll reach one hundred ...
  • edited December 2011
    Posted a game not suited for this challenge. Removed it.
  • edited January 2012
    I, SUPER!

- a role-playing game for 3-5 players

You need a 10- or 20-sided die to play this game, and some pencils and paper. And a cup of tea!

1 - On pieces of paper; each of you write down, in secret, what you would wish for as your own personal superpower, if you had one.

2 - Give the paper to the player to the left. He/she will play YOU in this game, but an increasingly SUPER version of you.

3 - You are a bunch of friends in our world, gathering to discuss the strange things (your super-powers manifesting) that has happened lately.

4 - As you are new to the powers, they start pretty low; on level 1. You roll the die each time you need to call on your powers, and need to roll equal or lower to make it. If you make it, point to a player who tells how you succeed. If you don't make the roll, you will tell how you fail.

5 - Each time you use a super-power, it increase one level. This happens regardless of success or failure.

6 - Once a super-power reaches level 5, a SUPER-VILLAIN will emerge to battle the hero (one for each hero). A super-villain must be defeated 3 times to be dead/harmless/gone. If you loose one battle against a super-villain, you can only defeat that villain with the help of other heroes in the future. You need help from one or more other heroes to have a chance, but roll normally, against your own powers.

7 - No SUPER-HERO ever dies. He gets hurt, loose his girlfriend, are captured and tortured ... he may also loose his powers! But always, ALWAYS, the hero will escape to fight another day!

8 - the first scene takes place where you are now, and you are talking (in character) about the strange/wonderful/freakish things that is happening to you ... and sharing the fright and/or wonder of it. When the talk reach some kind of conclusion, you go on and frame new scenes.

9 - Go around the table, framing scenes for each other. The oldest player start framing a scene. You always frame scenes for the player to the right of you, but you may include other heroes in the scene too.

10 - It is possible that not all of your close relatives and friends will be happy about the changes in your life (the danger, the new friends, the freakish nature of your powers, etc). Try to juxtapose the action-scenes with turmoil at home ...

Have fun!
  • edited January 2012
    Trouble on Cobalt Station

A game for several players and a GM

You and your pals are stranded on a space station that was sucked into a wormhole and got through whole, but you're separated from the rest of humanity with no chance of reuniting.

You have six stats:
    Fight
    Think
    Move
    Detect
    Convince
    Resist

Assign (+) to two, assign (-) to two.

When you do something, pick the two stats that apply, no more, no less. Set a Fudge die down on (+) for each stat that's a (+), a (-) for each one that's a (-). Then roll seven Fudge dice, not including the ones you set down.

(Before rolling, you may, at your option, Hedge Your Bets by setting down one of these seven dice on (+) and one on (-). Or, you can Play it Safe and set one of the seven down on (0).)

If you roll at least as many (+) as (-), you succeed, and accumulate Trouble equal to the difference between your (-)s and your (0)s. The more (+)s, the better the result. (0's negate Trouble.) If you don't, you fail and accumulate Trouble equal to your (-)s. (0)s don't matter.

If you have Trouble, the next time you try to do something, set one die down on (-) for each unit of Trouble. Trouble can be fixed with an appropriate skill test. (If you have Trouble from getting shot, Think + Resist could fix it.)

Go through life, trying to survive day to day on the station, and hopefully make things better for yourself and the others you care about.
  • edited January 2012
    Stories that flip the fuck out (heavily inspired by Homestuck)

The first player introduces their character. They must be mundane, but quirky. The group together decides the numbers for the character's stats: Weirdo and Badass, which are both quite low.

The character spends some time setting up the plot, while the other players GM and throw silly things on them.

Everyone has a notebook where they must write things down furiously, every silly little thing that happens. Players are encouraged to draw lines, cross over stuff and write comments next to their notes, without sharing to each other.

After a while, the next character is introduced, bringing the number of full-time gm's down one. Keep doing this until there's one gm and the rest of the players have a character each. Each introduced character must have a higher Weirdo or Badass stat than the previously introduced one, and may have a higher stat in both.

When a character tries to do something and the outcome isn't obvious, first see if anyone can bring something up from their notes. Otherwise, roll dice, adding Badass if it's fighting or stunts, and Weirdo if it's anything else.

*ding* here's where my five minutes are up.

Extra rules:
    Extra characters can be introduced, to be played by anyone, including the gm. If the gm starts playing a character who ends up a protagonist, however, they should be taken over by another player.

Remember that everyone should have their notebooks at the ready all the time, not just the player who ends up being gm.

When all characters have been introduced, it's okay to start making up new stats. No character can have more than three, but the first, weakest, character, probably needs that you recognise their bravery, or leadership skills, or some such, as a new (higher) stat.
  • I really like that simple way of doing characters, setting and plot in one furious go! Nice!
    Posted By: TomasHVMI wonder if there's any chance we'll reach one hundred ...
    79 games now :)
  • Posted By: Jonatan KilhamnStories that flip the fuck out (heavily inspired by Homestuck)
    I got swept up by this idea, registered on the Homestuck forum, and now I have the start of a draft of an AW hack:
    Here's the draft, where anyone can comment.
    Here's a brainstorming document, where anyone can edit.

Just wanted to tell someone!
  • edited January 2012
    IMMERSION
    - a rpg for 3-6 players

Agree upon a setting/theme.
    Create characters by finding names for them, and writing a short description.
    Anyone may take the first initiative, trying to do something.
    When your character tries to do something, anything, roll a d12.

1 Critical Failure
    2-3 Failure
    4-6 Mitigated Failure
    7-9 Mitigated Success
    10-11 Success
    12 Critical Success

Nothing will be narrated in this game.
    - You say what you want to do ...
    - then you roll ...
    - and then you ROLEPLAY how your character react, and how he/she communicates his failure/success to other characters.

All other players roleplay their characters too, responding to your reactions and communications, until one of them decides it is time to DO something about it ...
    - he/she signals this by raising an arm ...
    - then that player say what he/she wants to do ...
    - roll the die ...
    - and ROLEPLAY the reaction ...

Shouting, wailing, laughing and putting a brave face on it, anything putting flavor to your reactions, is recommended.

Be your character, always. Let the game flow. Have fun!
  • 80 games in this thread! We are crazy!!!
  • Whose GM Fiat is it Anyway?

- Everyone controls one character.
    - Anyone can call for a Group Roll at any time after a character action has been announced and before the results of that action have been introduced into the fiction.
    - On a Group Roll, everyone rolls, with the highest roller becoming the GM.
    - The GM can determine the character's action's outcome based on any method they like. Fiat, delegation, vote, roll, arm wrestling -- any method.
    - The GM continues GMing however they like until the next Group Roll is called.
  • Posted By: David BergWhose GM Fiat is it Anyway?
    Genius! I wonder if I'll be able to get people to play it with me.
  • edited January 2012
    SCENES
    - a game

- one of you start by framing a scene
    - he/she tells what the surroundings are, sounds, smells, sights, the weather and other such things
    - you do not include persons in the scene-framing
    - then he/she steps into the scene as a nameless character

- if no one else steps into the scene, it will be a very short solo-scene
    - the one present may narrate small things about him/herself

- if someone else steps into the scene, all present may improvise dialogue, and narrate actions
    - a name for a character may only be given in dialogue. It sticks to the character that is given the name
    - any former history and relationships implied in the dialogue sticks to the characters
    - you may narrate any actions, for any characters, as long as you are part of the scene
    - any actions narrated sticks to the characters
    - anyone participating in a scene may end it, by cutting it with his/her hands

- when a scene is over, a new player may frame a scene

- you participate in a scene if you want to, or wait for another scene

- when someone stands up, all must raise and stand
    - then the first to stand frames the last scene, and steps into it
    - all must step into the last scene, and participate in it
    - the last scene goes on until someone cuts it
    - then the game is over

Have fun!
  • edited January 2012
    FAIRIES OF STONE
    - a simple role-playing game

You are fairies of stone; very solid and simpleminded.

Make your fairies now; give them stonish names, like Grey, Cobble, Stone, Lime, etc.

Make personalities for the fairies. Choose three words to indicate the personality, like Stubborn, Curious, Loyal, Crunchy, etc.

Establish a relationship to one other faery. Do it by placing the name of one faery besides a word in your personality. That word describes you dealings/feelings/relationship to that faery.

Establish a relationship to another faery, in the same way, but using another word in your personality.

Now you are ready to play. Choose a wilderness close to were you all live. That is where your fairies wake up, after sleeping for 3000 years. The world has changed. There are a lot of NEW sights and sounds in the world, and a race, humans, that dominates the lands. You are drawn towards investigating what these new things are.

You are fairies of stone, so nothing like bullets bites you. A car will be wrecked hitting you, and you would barely get a scratch. And you do not speak; you think together, making humming stone-sounds as you do so. But thinking is hard when there is so much HUMAN thinking going on; fast, bewildered and so high voiced your humming is disturbed ...

- You take turns framing scenes.
    - Talk slowly, and use simple words.
    - Conveying feelings is done with single words, often one of the words in your personality.
    - You all move more or less in the same direction while experiencing the new world ...
    - In the end you will rage against it, or go to sleep; ending the game this way or that is your own choice.

Have fun!
  • edited January 2012
    NO GOD EXIST
    - a simple role-playing game

You are priests of different religions; very devout and doctrinal.

Make your priests now; give your priest a real religion and a normal first name that connects to the main following of that religion (Indian name for Hinduism, Arab name for Islam, etc.).

PERSONALITIES
    Make personalities for the priests. Choose three words to indicate the personality, like Fanatical, Patient, Benevolent, Flaming, etc. No part of their personality may indicate that they are anything but devout and doctrinal, but you may indicate all kinds of personalities besides this. Try to use words you have an inkling of how to translate into actual game play with your character.

RELATIONSHIPS
    Establish an intense relationship to one other priest. Do it by placing the name of that priest besides a word in your personality. That word describes you dealings/feelings/relationship to that priest.

Establish an intense relationship to another priest, in the same way, but using another word in your personality.

SITUATION
    Now you are ready to play. Choose a large city where you, these priests are gathered to discuss godliness in an open fashion, but something happens that leaves you all dumbfounded. the discussions are going very well the three first days, but on the evening of the third day, when you sit down to pray together before dinner, you all have the same revelation; THERE IS NO GOD! NOT ONE, NOT MANY!

You are devout priests, so this shakes you up. As you start talking, you all realize that the vision is true, and that you all have had it. The game is all about how you respond to this truth, around the dinner table that evening. Play that scene for as long as you like, and leave it when you are content and feels like its natural for your priest to retire.

- You may refuse to believe what he/she knows to be true, due to it rocking too much of the world he/she believes in.
    - You may blame the others for doing this to you, but will realize at some point that they are as confused and/or frightened as you by the fact that no God exist.
    - You may experience a tough emotinal reaction to this fact, start raging or crying, or both, or go into some sort of emotional shock.

How you respond with your priest, and how you talk with the others about this, is entirely up to you.

THE END
    When the first player raise from the chair, and stands besides the table, his priest has left the dinner table. That is a signal that the game is nearing its end.
    When the second player raise from the chair, and stands, the game is over.

Have fun!
  • edited January 2012
    The Yes/No Game
    - a singular story-game

One of you are the protagonist. Choose one to be the protagonist now. The protagonist will keep his/her name.

The others are narrators, and antagonists. They tell all that happens in the game, and they talk for all antagonists and neutral characters in the game. They take turns doing this, by taking over narration at regular intervals.

The player of the protagonist may say Yes or No to whatever solutions a narrator offer to a problem or a conflict he/she is involved in (the narrator still tells the story, but must change it if the protagonist say "No").

The player of the protagonist always talks for his/her character. No narrator may put words into his/her mouth. The protagonist may talk in any narrated situation that allows it.

That's it. The game is ready for play.

Go game!