5 minutes game-challenge

124»

Comments

• edited January 2012
    The Dinner Party
    A game for 6 or more players

Divide your players into pairs. One of these players will be the Face of a player character. The other will be the Inner Voice of the same character.
    (If you have 5 or fewer players, you can instead have each player be the Inner Voice of the character on their left.)

All your characters are at a dinner party and are socializing with each other.

The Face players should establish how their characters know each other character.

When the Face player declares how their PC knows someone, the Inner Voice of that character will explain why the PC secretly hates them.

Every time the Face speaks, the Inner Voice explains what really means.The Face presents the obvious, surface level interactions. The Inner Voice says what is implied or the subtext of anything the Face says. The job of the Face is to be as nice and friendly as possible. The job of the Inner Voice is to twist the Face's actions to be mean, twisted, petty and nasty. The other character hear the Face's words, but they understand what the Inner Voice is implying. Inner Voices drive the game towards conflict, while the Faces smooth it over.

Play until the dinner party is over, one way or the other.
  • "Inner Voice" isn't exactly the right word, but it was the best I could come up with in the 5 minutes allotted.
  • Posted By: Mr. TeapotThe Dinner Party
    I really like this one!

It reads a lot like a mini-larp to me, and a good one! I see it played out with the "inner voice" of a dinner-guest standing directly behind his chair, and that all conversation should allow for pauses, to have the inner voices fill the void of thoughtfulness ...

In an ideal game the two of them; dinner guest and inner voice, should be dressed exactly alike ...

And maybe you could play the game two times in a row, the same evening, changing places between guests and voices ...
  • edited January 2012
    Posted By: TomasHVM
    It reads a lot like a mini-larp to me, and a good one! I see it played out with the "inner voice" of a dinner-guest standing directly behind his chair, and that all conversation should allow for pauses, to have theinner voicesfill the void of thoughtfulness ...

In an ideal game the two of them; dinner guest and inner voice, should be dressed exactly alike ...
    Oh yes, absolutely. All of this.
  • Shoulder Angel/Shoulder Devil

- Find a friend. One of you plays the Shoulder Angel and one of you plays the Shoulder Devil.
    - Decide on one specific character whose shoulder you are assigned to, and what their story is about.
    - Each of you rolls a d6 (re-roll ties), whoever wins gets to narrate the first part of the story.
    - That player continues to narrate until the non-narrating player decides that it is time to influence the character's life and issues a challenge.
    - Each player makes their case for what the character should do next, in keeping with their role (Devil argues for evil, Angel argues for good).
    - Both players roll their d6 (re-roll ties), whoever wins gets to take over the narration until the non-narrating player interrupts, as above.
    - The losing player gets an influence point, which can be applied before a roll in any quantity to increase the total by one for each point spent, or after a roll to break ties.
    - Continue narrating and challenging in this manner until you get to the end of your character's story.
  • Good one, Felan! A very simple way to have some fun in the evening.

87 games in this thread so far. And some of them are small jewels!
  • edited February 2012
    When I first read Shoulder Angel/Shoulder Devil, I thought the 'Find a friend' was an instruction to BOTH players, to find a third party that both of you would give advice to ... so I decided to rewrite SA/SD as I imagined it working:

Shoulder Angel/Shoulder Devil
    Alright, you two wanna sit on someone's shoulders and tempt them and redeem them and boss them around? Which one of you most recently laughed at someone else's misfortune? BADASS! You're the Shoulder Devil; the other is left with being Shoulder Angel. Sorry.

Find a friend. Accost an acquaintance. Engage an enemy. Whatever - just find someone to follow around. Stand as close to their shoulder (right for the Angel, left for the Devil) as you can. When you'give them advice, whisper as close to their ear as you can. Bonus points if you make them jump (not you, angel).

Feel free, both of you, to narrate your host's life as he/she lives it ... with some embellishments if you like. Obviously this works best if everyone else in the room can hear you narrating your host's inner thoughts - he/she is the protagonist, after all!

When you decide that the host has come to a moral dilemma, each of you advise him/her as best you can. Then he/she gets to decide which course of action he/she takes - or, if by now the narration has gotten completely outlandish - which course he/she would have taken, were the checkout chick's bosoms truly decorated with diamonds as big as your fist and her eyes actually burned with the lust of a thousand Zeuses, and the conveyor belt for the shopping actually had a vibrate function.

When your host gets sick of you, he/she dies. That's a shame. Argue with the other Shoulder Person about where his/her soul ends up. If you can't decide, play scissors-paper-rock for it.
  • edited February 2012
    Chris; that is a glorious take on the game! It reads like loads of FUN!!!

Having someone following me like that, giving GOOD/BAD advice, and narrating my life as it happens, plus my "inner thoughts", would make me and my life into some sort of surreal happening. It sounds strange, provocative, mind-boggling!

I love the idea!

88 games
  • Posted By: SanglorianWhen I first read Shoulder Angel/Shoulder Devil, I thought the 'Find a friend' was an instruction to BOTH players, to find a third party that both of you would give advice to ... so I decided to rewrite SA/SD as I imagined it working
    This is awesome and hilarious. I love the ending!
  • edited February 2012
    Inpired by the Angel/Demon game:

SUPERLIFE
    - a kind of role-playing game for 3-4 persons

You go out in the streets, preferably in the centre of town, find a man or woman there (pick the gender opposite the majority of players). You propose to follow that person around for one the next 3-5 hours. Give him/her the right to to end the game at any moment, by saying that the game is over.

If the person agrees to this, that is the person you will all "play" in this game.

In the rest of this text I will call this person "him". It may very well be a woman still.

When no one else is around:
    - you interview him about his past
    - you comment on him, his answers and his past in positive ways

When others are present:
    - you praise his personality
    - you praise his skills
    - you praise his insights

- you give a lot of positive feedback to everything he says and does (cheering, applauding, etc.)

- you never talk to others in your praise, but give it to the world at large
    - you do not engage in any conversation with anyone

After the first encounter:
    - you continue to interview him when no one else is around
    - you continue praising him as before, if there are others close by

Transforming the character in public:
    - as play progresses, you start increasing his qualities when others are around
    - you start to comment on everything he does, as if it made a huge impact on the world
    - you site his sayings, as if they were the essence of wisdom

- bit by bit you transform his qualities into godlike superpowers, and praise him for them
    - bit for bit you start making up fabulous, and totally unbelievable, "truths" about the man

- you do all this to the world at large
    - shout it out, if you need to, to be heard in the din of traffic
    - the message of his supremacy must be heard by the people

In the end (preferably in a place with a lot of people):
    - you take hands around him, standing in a ring
    - you sing at the top of your voices, a improvised hymn to HIM, the supreme being
    - you go down on your knees around him, and make deep bows to HIM

- thus ends the game

Make sure to give him thanks for holding out (however long he actually held out).

89 games
  • I think that's great, Tomas! My game is a bit of fun and a chance to pester a friend - I think yours has made the jump to game-as-art-form.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks, Chris. I hold your game to be as good, or better. I love the simplicity of it.
  • edited February 2012
    COLD

- a winter role-playing game for 4-10 persons.

Winter-clothing and mittens are required. And a wide field of snow.

I do not know why you should play this game.
    I do not know what the game is all about.
    I do not know why this is a game.
    I do not know anything.

You must play it find out.

- 1 -
    Go out into snow that reach to your waist. Follow the same track into the snow, out on a wide field, where you can spread out. Spread out in a large circle. Do not make a lot of tracks there, so follow in the footsteps of each other as far as it goes, in a large circle, until you have to make your own track to the place you will stand, in the circle. Make sure the circle is so large you have to shout to be hear each other. This is where you will play.

- 2 -
    Stay there.

- 3 -
    When you are ready; make up a fictional name and shout it to the others. Wait for the others to do this to.

- 4 -
    Shout where you come from. Say something of your immediate journey; how you came to stand here, in the deep snow. Let the others have their say too.

- 5 -
    Shout advice, proposals and speculations to the others, on the conundrum of why you are standing here, still, in the deep snow. Shout comments on the problems this gives you. You should be very concerned about any problems shouted by others too, and adopt those problems as your own. Everything may be wrong with standing still in the snow! The situation is really quite horrible!

- 6 -
    Make sure you do not solve the core problem (standing in the snow will kill you, if you do not move), and that you find no incitement to move. You will not, under no circumstance, move away from here. As play progresses, you understand that you will all die here.

- 7 -
    When you are ready, shout something to the effect that you can't stand it anymore (whatever "it" is), and start to die. Dying in this game is signified by sitting down in the snow (it's ok to bring a little something to sit on for the game), out of sight in the snow, for the others. Sit there until no one is shouting any more, and then; sit a bit longer, in the dead silence.

After playing you will know something about this game.
    Please tell us what you know!

Game number 90 in this thread
  • I like the brisk implementation and the chilling conclusion, but I don't know about the replayability of the game. :-)
    --
    TAZ
  • Thanks! Trying to make a game in 5 minutes is a challenge with consequences on how we think and write. That is the most interesting thing about it.

I reckon the replayability is as good as the playability; you know the full premise anyway.
  • HARD IN HARDWARE

Terrorists have taken control of a WalMart and only you can stop them!

*Go to a WalMart.
    *Put on cool sunglasses.
    *Terrorists have taken over the WalMart and are holding everyone hostage!
    *But they missed you!
    *Go around the WalMart, and look at the different merchandise available for sale.
    *How do you use it to fight the terrorists?
    *When you leave, walk to your car in slow motion as the WalMart explodes behind you for no reason.

*BONUS RULE: If you are shopping, to buy something, you have to establish how you kill a terrorist with it.
  • edited February 2012
    I used to play "Hard in Hardware" all the time as a kid. Not that it was called that.
  • edited February 2012
    A pervasive game, and a HARD one! We are really redefining what a role-playing game is in this thread! LOL

PS: I would like to play this one with 3 or more players, all wearing sunglasses, holding whispered conversations behind the bread rack, and so on ...
  • Sounds fun and funny, the last thing I bought at Walmart was one of those big deli sandwiches and an ice scraper. *looks from one hand to the other*

[terrorist with English subtitles] "Allah protect us! The infidel has a ham sandwich and knows how to use it!"
    --
    TAZ
  • 5 Dubious Eggs!

You and the other players play soon-to-be hatchlings. Each of you roll 1d6. If anyone rolls a 5, they get to be the Mother. If multiple people roll 5s, they have to divide aspects of Mother between them. If nobody rolls a 5, everybody rolls again. If everybody rolls a 5, roll again.

Anybody that rolled a 6 is already hatched, and is omniscient. Anybody that rolled under 5 is unhatched. Play consists of maximum 5 rounds. In the first round, any already-hatched players can argue with Mother about which eggs ought to be hatched, and which ought to be eaten or destroyed. Any argument they put forth cannot be naysayed by anybody but somebody playing an Aspect of Mother sufficiently equipped to naysay. If the argument isn't naysayed, it becomes canon. In round 2, anybody that rolled a 4 hatches, unless they were eaten. They can then join in the argument. They can be equipped with up to 4 Senses, which will allow them to observe and naysay. Same routine, down to round 1. Those that survive get a beer from each player that rolled higher than them.
  • The idea of playing chickens and eggs is fun! 5 Dubious Eggs (great title!) could easily be turned into a funny one-nighter.

It's game # 92 in this thread.
  • edited February 2012
    Random Encounters for Random Characters

1 GM, 1 or more players.

GM rolls for adventure challenge type:
    1 - Social
    2 - Physical
    3 - Mental
    4 - Magical
    5 - Moral

GM then describes to the players what the situation is and why they must get to the end of it. This will be a series of scenes, each with a challenge that must be defeated to move on to the next scene.

Each scene, the GM rolls for scene type:

Social
    1 - Tricking
    2 - Befriending
    3 - Intimidating
    4 - Seducing
    5 - Provoking
    6 - Putting to sleep

Physical
    1 - Beating
    2 - Stabbing
    3 - Shooting
    4 - Climbing
    5 - Sneaking
    6 - Lifting
    7 - Enduring

Mental
    1 - Noticing
    2 - Remembering
    3 - Puzzle
    4 - Riddle
    5 - Engineering
    6 - Tactics

Magical
    1 - Summoning
    2 - Blasting
    3 - Healing
    4 - Protection
    5 - Clairsentience (hear distant things, see the future)
    6 - Travel (teleport, turn intangible)
    7 - Shaping (environment, self, others)

Moral: Resist Temptations to:
    1 - Kill
    2 - Ingest
    3 - Steal
    4 - Sully
    5 - Deceive
    6 - Make sweet but ill-advised love

GM describes each scene.

Player(s) then roll for how good their character is at the required task, and write down this Ability number:
    1 - Completely unable
    2 - Poor
    3 - Average
    4 - Good
    5 - Amazing

Player(s) then roll to explain this level of competence:
    1 - Training
    2 - Natural aptitude (physique, genes)
    3 - Culture
    4 - Result of bargain
    5 - Mysterious
    6 - Outside intervention (curses, blessings)

Players then describe their attempt(s) to overcome the scene's challenge, defining the character(s) in the process.

Players then roll 1d4 and add their Ability number. If any character succeeds, they all move on to the next scene. If every character fails, they must try again after narrating the failure.

Results:
    2-3 - Fail, plus bad
    4 - Fail, plus good
    5-6 - Succeed, plus bad
    7+ - Succeed, plus good

Then roll again:

Plus bad:
    1 - Injury (physical, mental, emotional)
    2 - Lost stuff (loot, tools)
    3 - Worse relationship (lose alliance, gain enmity)
    4 - Reveal flaw

Plus good:
    1 - Improve (or recover from injury) (physical, mental, emotional)
    2 - Gain stuff (loot, tools)
    3 - Better relationship (form alliance, end enmity)
    4 - Reveal virtue

Narrate the success or failure.

If failure, the player(s) must describe new attempt(s) to overcome the scene's challenge, again rolling 1d4 and adding their Ability number.

If success, now it is the GM's turn to roll for the next scene. The GM has 3 chances to roll a type of Scene not already played. If they fail, then the adventure is over. If the players want to continue, the GM rolls a new adventure type. Otherwise, the game is over.

Okay, this took about 30 minutes to write, but I didn't stop to think at all, and I don't think it's more words than some of the others; I just type slowly.
    Game # 93
  • Hahaha, man, my game is just a silly drinking game where you can argue to get free drinks, your 5 minute games are INSANE! Going back and reading this thread has made my morning! I might sit down after work and make another 5-minute game. Heck, I might turn this into a daily routine! Inspiring stuff, for sure!
  • Random Encounters for Random Characters is a neat little table-game. Sounds like two people can have a cosy adventure with this one, except for one thing; what kind of die are we supposed to use rolling the first tables?

Rubb; I love your enthusiasm!
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: TomasHVMwhat kind of die are we supposed to use rolling the first tables?
    d6. I should come up with a 6th adventure type, and figure out which scene types to ditch from the Physical and Magical lists.

I think 1 GM + 2 players might be most fun, but 1 and 1 should work too.

Rolling produced this character:

1 - Horrible at magical blasting, due to a bargain
    2 - Poor at magical healing, due to a bargain
    4 - Good at magical clairsentience, due to a bargain
    1 - Horrible at magical travel due to my physique
    1 - Horrible at physical beating due to my culture
    2 - Poor at physical lifting for mysterious reasons
    5 - Amazing at physical climbing for mysterious reasons
    2 - Poor at physical sneaking due to my culture

This is cool! I have a vision of a guy who's part of a magic-using culture, but his deal with a Thought/Perception demon crippled his energy abilities. He's also a very tall and wide guy who can't easily command spirits to transport him places. He comes from a culture of honorable wizards who deplore violence and confront problems head on rather than by underhanded means. He was born with hollow bones, clearly the mark of some higher power, for good or ill. He is weak but incredibly light.

The adventures went like this:
    Improves while failing to magically blast.
    Makes an enemy while failing to magically blast.
    Reveals flaw while magically blasting.
    Injured while failing to magically heal.
    Makes an enemy while magically healing.
    Injured while using magical clairsentience.
    Injured while failing at magical travel.
    Improved while failing at magical travel.
    Injured while magically travelling.
    Injured while physically beating.
    Reveals flaw while physically lifting.
    Reveals virtue while physically climbing.
    Loses stuff while physically sneaking.

For the Abilities, "1 - Completely unable" made no sense when describing the eventual successes, so I replaced it with "1 - Horrible".

Bad Ability stats produce too much failing, which gets boring. 2 ideas for adjustments:

1d4 + Ability stat Results:
    2 - Fail, plus bad
    3 - Fail, plus good
    4-6 - Succeed, plus bad
    7+ - Succeed, plus good

2d4 + Ability stat Results:
    3-4 - Fail, plus bad
    5-6 - Fail, plus good
    7-9 - Succeed, plus bad
    10+ - Succeed, plus good

That second one is probably better, because Average and Good abilities still have a chance to Fail (even if it's only 3/16 and 1/16).

Finally, I think the "plus good" and "plus bad" results need more variety (6 options instead of 4? more difference between tables?), plus perhaps specificity (additional roll?).
  • edited February 2012
    Ah! You're on a roll here, David, spewing out the second edition minutes after the first! LOL

By the way; it's great to play-test such a game, and see how the things you've written actually works. Suddenly the silly venture of designing a rpg in 5 minutes, pays up in fast insights. ;)
  • Ispo Facto

Each player starts by saying one thing about his character. Then, each player says something about the character to his left. This must be an ipso facto statement based on the other player's statement. EG: "You say your character is a barista, that means she's a nympho." As you can see by the example, your ipso facto statement doesn't need to make sense: Rather, its internal logic is used to reveal a prejudice or belief held by your character.

The process is repeated for the character to each player's right. This serves to lay a foundation for preconceptions held by each character about the other characters. Aaaaand blah, time is up and my brain is pulling the E-brake on this anyway.
  • edited February 2012
    LOL!

To close your design:

Ipso Facto, part II
    - and then you start out the scene by talking, in character, as if you were on a blind-group-date and are trying to make an impression, and as if some of the others really pushes your buttons at the same time. Try to be really flirty and irritated at the same time, and to win the others attention as much as you can.

You keep at this until one couple decides that they want to talk more, alone, and stand up to leave.

They are the winners of the game. The ones left sitting at the table are all loosers.

Have fun!

# 95
  • Hahaha, that's one of those things where everybody left at the table would wonder if the "winners" were actually getting frisky, and if things got way too in-character there. Again, you and your boundary-pushing thespian games! True art, mate.
  • Critically Absurd

I envision a combat/narrative adventure system where people don't have any (or that many) Stats to work with, they just have a little personality writeup. When they want to do something ridiculous and impossible in-game, they can cite points about their character to give them +1 or +2 on a d20 success roll. They'll probably only get a 15 or 20 percent chance on this, if they argue their case well, but here's the cinch: If the other players really want to see you succeed, they can invest Absurdity Tokens in the roll, each of which will give you +1. So if you want to deflect arrows with your penis while standing on a racing camel and eating a Big Mac, well, you just need some support from your play-group, and you can make it happen! I envision it as the perfect supporting framework for Tarantino action meets Monty Python idiocy.
  • This could lead to something, Joachim. I like the straightforward idea of Absurdity Tokens. Sounds like a tool infernally suited to make silly games and huge laughs! Great!

Maybe you could explore it further? Don't mind the 5 minute limit; no one does. I've managed to keep within that limit in one or two of my games here, and that made me struggle like a butterfly in a maelstrom.
  • May the Biggest Fan Win

Group of players discusses their favorite books, plays, TV shows, movies, comics, etc., looking for overlap. Once they've identified at least one such work that everyone in the group knows, and they don't feel like coming up with more, then the game begins.

In play, you answer the previous problem (from the person on your left) and then pose a new problem (to the person on your right). Only content from the agreed-upon works can be used as solutions to problems. You can't invent anything, you can simply recall what happened and make the case that it applies to the current problem. If the majority of players disagree that it applies, you're out. Last player standing wins.

To turn into an RPG, everyone chooses a character, and every turn includes some free play between answering one problem and posing another, where the acting player is GM.
  • INTO THE DUNGEON IN 30 SECONDS

Each person rolls up as many characters as they like.

To roll up a character:

Roll 3d6. That's your Morale. If someone frightens you, etc., they try to roll over your Morale. If you try to do something clever, craven or sneaky, you try to roll over your morale.

Choose a suit of armour. None (AC 8), Leather (AC 10), Chain (AC 12), Half-Plate (AC 14). If someone attacks you, etc., they try to roll over your AC. If you try to perform a stunt, depend on your agility or your endurance, you try to roll over your AC.

What sort of weapon do you have? None (roll 2d6 damage, take the lowest), One-handed (1d6 damage, and you can carry a shield, potion, etc.) or Two-handed (2d6 damage, take the highest)

You have 1 HD for every character level you have. You start at level 1. Each time you go up a character level, roll your HD in d6s to determine your hit points. If you roll lower than your current total, keep your current total.

Choose a name. For extra points, make it a contortion of your own name.

DUNGEON MASTERS LISTEN UP!

When the characters go into a dungeon, they'll be on the first level of the dungeon. Monsters on the first level of the dungeon are - wait for it - first level! So it's just like making a character. 'How big are this thing's claws?' 'Like greatsword size' '2d6-take-highest for damage, then'. 'How thick is this thing's hide?' 'Like leather' '10 AC then'

Treasure has to be split equally between every character in the party. For every 1 silver piece a character squanders in town, they get 1 XP. Level up at 1000 XP and then 3000 XP and then 6000 and you get the drill.

If a character is reduced to 0 hit points or below, they can either Bleed Out or go back to 1 HP with a Scar.

Bleed Out: Each round, the DM rolls against your Morale. If the DM wins, you gain 1d6 death points. At 10 death points, you die. If the DM fails his/her roll, you stabilise. A friend can help you out as their action in combat - you lose 1d6 death points (minimum 0).

HELLHOUND. Level 3. Teeth like daggers, breath like a greatclub but it needs to recharge (roll 1d6 each turn, needs 4-6). SCAR: Hellfire burns never properly heal, they always itch and occasionally burn.

----

So these ideas have been floating around in my head for a bit, and the game will only be coherent to people who know D&D. I'm also indebted to Searchers of the Unknown, which gave me the idea of very simple characters.

Maybe I'll write a five-minute supplement on wandering monsters ...
  • edited March 2012
    That is marvellous, Chris! The best version of D&D to this day!
    Lets call it "D&D30", to indicate that the old game (D&D4?) has a long way to go ... :-P
    Hurray and BRAVO!!!

And that made game #98 in this thread!
    We are closing in on the one hundred mark ...
  • Intro: You are all a bunch of rowdy college-age wizards out for a walk around town. You like to screw with mortals.

Setup: All players takes a deck of cards and removes all the number cards except for the aces. Put the resulting deck in your pocket.

Game: All players go for a walk downtown. Whenever you all walk near a passerby, one of you pulls out a card from their pocket:

Ace: You use magic to screw with the mortal (tie their shoelaces together, blow up the apple in their hand, etc.) Card drawer narrates it. Everyone snickers and high-fives.
    Jack: Same as Ace, but even funnier. Everyone bursts into laughter.
    Queen: Same as Jack, but one of you doesn't really find it funny...
    King: Uh oh.

Every time the king is drawn, remove all of one type of card from everyone's deck, starting with the Ace and going up. When all but the King is left, toss all your cards on the ground and run away from the angry townies.
  • I don't know what I'm doing since I'm new at this thing, but what the heck the subject just came up this afternoon. I was describing the Danger Mountain RPG to my gf, seeing if she wanted to play it and she showed some interest. Then she mentioned that she had been thinking about how to make a game for her currently most pressing issue:

CONTRACT DOCUMENTS!

Yes kiddos! This is a game for those of you who want to learn more about the AIA series of contract documents. You want to be an architect? Well this is how you get sued into bolivia!

There are three characters:

The Contractor, wants to make money by building the cheapest thing while charging overpriced change orders at every turn.
    The Owner, wants to max out the awesomeness of the building, pay for none of it, and have it all done on time
    The Architect, wants to survive to design another building

Start with a small problem...and then constantly just escalate the situation until it all comes utterly falling apart. After all, building project is nothing if not a comedy of errors.

With some thought I think I could make something amusing for us industry insiders at least...but I doubt that would be of much use for my GF while she studies for her architect exams!
  • Interesting! So it seems like the Contractor and Owner are involved in a competitive game, where if the Architect doesn't add enough surplus value into the equation, one or both of them will be unhappy. But if the Architect can optimally combine cheapness, awesomeness, and speed, then perhaps the Contractor and Owner might both be happy! In which case the Architect might come out of it with some sort of career improvement. Get paid more the next time if they can pull it off again? Get more clients and thus wind up in a slightly better situation for the next job?
  • edited March 2012
    Jon and Justus: thanks for climbing out on the limb with us others, designing the games that brought this thread to a hundred games! For us to make a thread of 100 games, with nothing but the design-practice as our reward, is a remarkable feat, in my view. Every designer contributing to this has good reason to be proud. We are probably all a bit wiser for doing so.

Your games are fun to read.

Jon: maybe there should be only 1 king in each deck. It could end very fast if you have 4 kings in each deck. It sounds like a light pervasive game, and perhaps we need more of those ...

Justus: I believe this could be a nice little game, especially if you succeed in making the architect into a key role in the competitive field between the other two ...

THIS THREAD
    HAS NOW REACHED

100 GAMES

ONE HUNDRED ROLE-PLAYING GAMES!!!

HURRAY!
    HURRAY!
    HURRAY!

I've started another thread, 100 games, to discuss the ramifications of such a unique burst of creativity.

I would be grateful if this thread was to be regarded as "CLOSED" (no more games) from now on. The 5-minutes challenge is over. I've kind of felt a responsibility for it, and would be glad not to feel that any more. If anyone would like to open a new, similar challenge, that would be fine with me. But it could be that a discussion of these games, and the creativity emerged in this thread, would be more interesting now (in the other thread). :-)

Have a nice day!
  • Tomas: Wow, that's momentous! I'm not sure how I feel about closing the thread to new games ... But it might encourage us to look more deeply at the games that were made, which could be productive.

Of course, we can still hack these games in the 5-minute hack thread!

Have you considered compiling all these games into a PDF? Could make a great resource.

Also, you say you'd like to see a discussion of these games in the other thread. Do you just mean these games in general, or games in specific? For example, would you prefer to see my comments on CONTRACT DOCUMENTS! in the other thread?

Justus: I'm a law student and an interesting variation of your game could be with:

Prosecution, who is trying to make the situation as complicated as possible to help their client,
    Defence, who is trying to make the situation as complicated as possible to help their client, and
    Judge, who is trying to make the situation as simple as possible.

The way I imagine it working is you start with a simple legal situation:

A man rode his bike in the park despite the sign that said 'No vehicles'

And the prosecution would chime in: 'Yes, but the legislation says that "other modes of transportation" aren't vehicles!'

And the defence would say, 'Yes, but that was part of a larger phrase: "Horses, donkeys and other modes of transportation", so "other modes of transportation" must be limited to equines or animals!'

And the prosecution would say, 'Yes, but the sign was posted by a local government which has no constitutional power to impose criminal provisions,'

And the defence would say something, and so on.

Probably a game that could only be played by law students (and only law students would want to play it), but it could be a useful teaching tool. A lot of our education is based around hypotheticals; this game would produce an unlimited number of them.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks, Chris! The thread is indeed momentous!
    Posted By: SanglorianHave you considered compiling all these games into a PDF? Could make a great resource.
    I have. I do not want to do it. I'm planning a book with my smaller English games (and perhaps one translation of a major design in Norwegian), and would like to include some of the games I've written in this thread.
  • Tomas and Chris, thanks for your comments! Its interesting, in practice as an Architect sometimes you feel like a tight coherent team with the Owner and Contractor, but sometimes it just falls apart and gets adversarial all around. The idea of the architect as harried navigator between two competing interests is something I didn't really think about -- but given what I wrote in the initial post post it makes a lot of sense. Funny how one's own ineloquence brings up fresh ideas!

There is also another way to look at the issue. There is a famous triangle in our world called "speed-budget-quality...you get 2 out of 3". In this sort of dance you can have the owner wanting his project fast, the contractor wanting it cheap, and the architect wanting it pretty. Instead of having the architect as the central balancing force, maybe there is a way to get things to swing around back and forth as they search for equilbrium careening towards the completion of a project

I don't know how I'd push it mechanically, I think I'd like to play more RPG's before trying actively taking this idea further. But I've always been interested in the mundane as the foundation for interesting art, and with your encouragement I'll definitely keep the pot boiling in the back of my head! As the other 100 posts discussion bring up, ideas are cheap, execution is hard....but sometimes it is the spark of an idea that pushes one towards execution, and for that, Cheers! --Justus.
  • Judgement day 2 “I told you so”

everyone has six skills, hand-cuffs, a motorbike, and a bomb. If you have a leather jacket irl add +1 to any skill before you start.

1 ICY TOUCH
    command someone

2 COLD BLOODED
    hurt someone

3 COOL HEADED
    avoid stress

4 WARM HEART
    influence someone

5 HOT BODY
    seduce someone

6 BOILING POINT
    you are angry

roll 3d6 for everything and use the middle number.

Roll skills.

During play, to test skills get equal or under the score.

You are a re-incarnated angel if your high skills are cold, or a dragon if your high skills are hot.

Each turn you may challenge someone to a battle, each non-participant gives two extra dice to the duellist of their choice.

Describe the skill you are using, but like Mad Max would.

Turns rotate according to the coriolis effect.

When you have won at least one challenge for each skill, you are the winner.

If an angel wins, jesus comes to earth and nukes everyone into heaven. \o/ yay

If a dragon wins, they becomes an angel, god forgives them, and then they and their homeboy jesus personally nuke everyone for being sinners, telling everyone “i told you so” :# Fuc
  • Hi Snake! I really like the moves of your game! Evocative names on them! Good for imagination!

Alas; this thread has been laid dead! We have reached 100 games in it (101 with yours), and that is a sign-mark to be proud of. We'll let it rest now, thank you!
  • Revisited this thread, and happened upon this game:
    COLD

- a winter role-playing game for 4-10 persons.

Winter-clothing and mittens are required. And a wide field of snow.

I do not know why you should play this game.
    I do not know what the game is all about.
    I do not know why this is a game.
    I do not know anything.

You must play it find out.
    I can't wait for there to be winter, here in Norway, so we can find out what this game is like.

The rest of the games; still worth a read!