[Everway] Doing more with the Fortune Deck

edited June 2011 in Story Games
I just joined a Planescape campaign, and it got me thinking about Everway, the game of my childhood (sorry if that makes anyone feel old! ^__^).

Here's what I got to thinking: if you attempt an action and you are matched (or outmatched) by your opposition's element rating, draw a Fortune card. The player can use the card to describe how s/he succeeds at the action (unless the arcana is reversed).
If the Fortune card's arcana is reversed, the GM grabs it and can either use it to complicate the situation or cause trouble to come due (depending on the card). Kind of like getting to make a hard move.

Additionally, if the player draws their Virtue, something additional should happen (like getting to use the card a second time, maybe?). If the player draws their Flaw, maybe the GM gets to use the card, after the player finishes with it? Not sure what to do with Fate cards.

Many of the Fortune cards are connected to the elements; maybe they could provide bonuses (or penalties) for a certain duration (a scene, an action, depending on the particular arcana).