Everway - doing more with the Fortune deck

edited June 2011 in Story Games
I just joined a Planescape campaign, and it got me thinking about Everway, the game of my childhood (sorry if that makes anyone feel old! ^__^).

Here's what I got to thinking: if you attempt an action and you are matched (or outmatched) by your opposition's element rating, draw a Fortune card. The player can use the card to describe how s/he succeeds at the action (unless the arcana is reversed).
If the Fortune card's arcana is reversed, the GM grabs it and can either use it to complicate the situation or cause trouble to come due (depending on the card). Kind of like getting to make a hard move.

Additionally, if the player draws their Virtue, something additional should happen (like getting to use the card a second time, maybe?). If the player draws their Flaw, maybe the GM gets to use the card, after the player finishes with it? Not sure what to do with Fate cards.

Many of the Fortune cards are connected to the elements; maybe they could provide bonuses (or penalties) for a certain duration (a scene, an action, depending on the particular arcana).

Comments

• I'm still trying to get my hands on Everway for a decent price. I wish I had more to contribute to this thread, since I think Everway was a really cool concept.
  • Have you looked at Gaslight Press at all for the two textbooks (planewalker and gamemaster guides)?
  • They haven't updated their site since '02, I figure they're long dead.
  • Posted By: migoI'm still trying to get my hands on Everway for a decent price. I wish I had more to contribute to this thread, since I think Everway was a really cool concept.
    You waited almost precisely six months too long. It appears that at long last every copy has been dug out of FLGS basements, so now you have to fight collectors. As of December of last year, there were dozens of copies on eBay for $10. Now, there aren't. That was fast!

I may have to just up and sell my copy now. It's never worked for me and I'm torn between it being my white whale (I want it to work!) and the very real possibility that it's just not that good of a game.
  • Mine's up for sale or trade. Send me a email or something.
  • Zac: Interesting. You know how someone can get a lot of eyes on what they say, but no actual human replies, so they might think no one cares? That's not happening here. :-) I'm thinking, "That actually sounds pretty awesome, man!" but have ZERO to contribute other than saying, "If you try it and it succeeds or fails, please let me know. I'm very interested in the results!"

-Andy
  • Posted By: ccreitzPosted By: migoI'm still trying to get my hands on Everway for a decent price. I wish I had more to contribute to this thread, since I think Everway was a really cool concept.
    You waited almost precisely six months too long. It appears that at long last every copy has been dug out of FLGS basements, so now you have to fight collectors. As of December of last year, there were dozens of copies on eBay for $10. Now, there aren't. That was fast!

I may have to just up and sell my copy now. It's never worked for me and I'm torn between it being my white whale (I want it to work!) and the very real possibility that it's just not that good of a game.

Bummer. Well, I had zero money 6 months ago, so I guess I don't feel too bad about missing it.
  • Thanks, Andy! :)
    I'll see what happens - - there IS a .pdf online that has all the cards scanned in on it, so at the very least we could work the rules out from memory and use printed-out cards as a play prop.