[Monsterhearts] Add To The Name Lists

edited June 2011 in Game Design Help
So, I'm adding namelists to Monsterhearts, my Apocalypse World hack about teen monster sex drama (see: Twilight, Buffy, Ginger Snaps, True Blood, Jennifer's Body, The Craft, Being Human).

Here's how it works: You've played Apocalypse World, right? Each player has a playbook, which are called Skins in this game. For each Skin, I need a list of names (say, 7-10), and then a list of types of names. For example, for The Vampire:

Horace, Wendell, Jessamine, William, Edward, Elewyn, Merick, Morana.

Stuffy names, antiquated names, biblical names, brooding names, names that reference darkness or death.

If you want to help, pick a Skin below and toss out some names and types of names for it!:

The Vampire
Icy, manipulative, pretty, hypnotic. The vampire is about emotional entrenchment and emotional dominance.
Top stat: Frigid. Second best: Hot.

The Mortal
Vulnerable, codependent, magnetic, beautiful. The mortal is all about benefiting from codependency, and wracking up experience.
Top stat: Hot. Second best: Dark.

The Werewolf
Passionate, violent, muscular, fickle. The werewolf is all about using physical violence and transformation to get what it wants.
Top stat: Volatile. Second best: Hot.

The Witch
Manipulative, secretive, judgmental, brooding. The witch is all about casting silent judgment, and powerful hexes, from the safety of her own bedroom.
Top stat: Dark. Second best: Frigid.

The Ghost
Tormented, insecure, intuitive, fickle. The ghost is all about channeling past trauma, seeing people's true selves, and having spooky powers.
Top stat: Dark. Second best: Frigid.

The Chosen
Powerful, vengeful, conflicted, masochistic. The chosen is a monster slayer (like Buffy, Harry Potter) who finds themselves drawn to the darkness.
Top stat: Hot. Second best: Volatile.

The Infernal
Powerful, desperate, addicted. The infernal has a demonic sugar daddy - someone who gets them things they want. At a price.
Top stat: Volatile. Second best: Dark.

The Ghoul
Cold, unwavering, hungry. The ghoul died, and came back with dulled emotions and a hunger for human flesh. The ghoul benefits from being disaffected and malicious.
Top stat: Frigid. Second best: Volatile.

The Hollow
Confused, powerful, unstable. The hollow has no past: either they're a fabricated being (Dawn Summers, Frankenstein), or their powers have lain dormant until now (River, Carrie). They're a blank and spooky slate, and their moves are all about revealing new powers.
Top stat: Dark. Second best: Volatile.

The Fay
Alluring, exotic, fickle, vengeful. The fay is all about extracting promises, and wielding faerie vengeance when those promises are broken.
Top stat: Hot. Second best: Dark.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    The Vampire
    Cassius, Muerte, Carmine, Alvus, Clayton, Serina, Chastity, Zoe, Noella, Celia, Amanda

The Mortal
    James, Patrick, Jefferson, Bowman, Abraham, Brody, Alec, Steven, Caleb, Susan, Shelly, Anna, Bethany, Roxy

The Werewolf
    Deuce, Cringer, Cassidy, Flinch, Gripper, Gnarly, Muzzle, Farmer, Missy, Sadie, Reddy, Calliope

The Witch
    Gerard, Brannen, Tristan, Darius, Louis, Sabrina, Annalee, Miranda, Jessica, Selene

The Ghost
    Doc, Brewer, Spencer, Horace, Cathryn, Felica, Danielle, Snooky

The Chosen
    Morgan, Gabriel, Jackson, Drake, Blackmoore, Breaker, Stanton, Singer, Delilah, Ariel, Mara, Dreah, Chloe, Larissa, Lumina

The Infernal
    Poe, Max, Brand, Mason, Dorian, Baron, Ducker, Sandra, Phoebe, Meeka, Liana, Yojina

The Ghoul
    Gutter, Putz, Booger, Denver, Sikes, Pudgie, Lunchbox, Dee, Sickle, Cath, Sharona, Dandelion, Marla

The Hollow
    Bryce, Caleb, Bohmont, Braden, Shivers, Dunce, Jacko, Haven, Baby, Smurfette, Mimi, Melody, Larissa

The Fay
    Dusty, Cranston, Crow, Cubbins, Docker, Smithe, Walthus, Sorne, Slade, Banter, Chalice, Harmony, Leef, Diana, Meadowrain, Athena, Mozey, Sunlite
  • I'm pretty sure the Hollow needs to have "Adam" on the list.
  • can there please be a Balls?
  • oh wait, that goes on the mc list. I'll wait for that thread, nm.
  • Posted By: Ross Cowmancan there please be a Balls?
    I am struggling to imagine a character named Balls, in this. Unless that was some crusty punk name for a Ghoul?
  • edited June 2011
    The Vampire
    Alonzo, Byron, Walter, Lorenzo, Victor, Lucian, Marcell (Marcellus), Leander, Isaiah,

The Mortal
    Clark, Chuck, Jefferson, Autumn, April, Summer, Laureth, Macaylah, Madison, Chastity, Charity, Temperance, Edmund, Felicity,

The Werewolf
    Lorence, Levi, Margaret, Clint, Brigitte

The Witch
    Moira, Merrill, Rufina, Preshea, Esther, Minerva, Angelica

The Ghost
    Orville, Rufus, Seth, Jessamine, Lenora, Angelino, Leopold

The Chosen
    Maya, Camila, Demetry, Raphael

The Infernal
    Spencer, Devin, Gavin, Grigori, Cali, Lili, Mara, Cameron, Antonio, Fernanda

The Ghoul
    Cage (Micajah), Silas, Cole, Hattie, Georgina

The Hollow
    Leif, Dorothy, Raymond, Donald

The Fay
    Permelia, Lydia, Leah, Phoebe, Aurora, Clementine, Iris

Some of these are duplicates, but I like to think that it is due to a difference in "vision".
  • This game should have no Balls.
  • The Vampire
    Cain, Lucious, Martin, Carla

The Mortal
    Beth, Elizebeth, Mike, Lana

The Werewolf
    Kat, Hank, Biff, Felicia

The Witch
    Delilah, Shen, Cordelia, Victor

The Ghost
    Martin, Ted, Sarah, Lois

The Chosen
    Tina, Harry, Caleb, Victoria

The Infernal
    Twitch, Damien, Mark, Anna

The Goul
    Vince, Charlie, Lazarus, Georgia

The Hollow
    Ted, Max, Kyle, Tim

The Fay
    Diarmid, Selene, Luna, Noel
  • I'm really excited about the new playbooks - particularly chosen & hollow.

Chosen wants more of those ironic "so doesn't sound like a chosen one" names like Buffy & Harry & Clark, but I'm drawing a blank. Fred? Cathy? Susie. (I particularly like Susie because she's a recurring character in early blue oyster cult songs.)
  • Awesome stuff. Thank you folks.

Captain Thark: Luna should totally be a Werewolf name!
    Mathalus: Cage is such a good name for a Ghoul! Thanks!
  • The Vampire
    Kalala, Jong, Demetrius, Helene, The Sarmatian (or choose any ancient tribe, ie. The Frank, the Vandal, The Langobard), Odoacher, Ferwerda, Mayada, Zhao, Skilarus
  • edited June 2011
    You're right, Luna is a Werewolf name! Although I was thinking about it as a homage to Luna Lovegood from harry potter, a slightly off kilter out there girl.
  • Hmmm.
    Posted By: graypawnThis game should have no Balls.
    Posted By: graypawnThis game Wolfman should have no ain't got Balls Nards.
    Fixed it for you.
  • edited June 2011
    But Wolfman does have nards.
  • Whoa, Drew, hella NSFW.

Do you think he was able to take it from that angle himself?
  • I think it hurt more than when he was blown up by dynamite.
  • Posted By: jackson teguit
    The angle of the photo.

Jesus, Drew.

Ahem,
    The Infernal
    Jesus, Drew

The Werewolf
    (what morgan said, plus) Ben, Artnoose

The Fay
    Sienna, Anders