Dangers & Dragons: Now with a working link!

Back in May, I ran my D&D-ish hack of Danger Patrol at Gamex in LA, and it went really well, so I've put it online for download. Feel free to check it out, run it, double-hack it, etc.

(Of course, it's a hack of the Danger Patrol Beta, not the Gamma, so fairly warned by ye, says I.)

EDIT: Link fixed!

Comments

• That URL doesn't work for me. Or maybe I rolled 5 danger and that's my disaster.
  • Not working for me either. It looks like there's a file there but I can't open it.
  • It won't open. Tells me the file may have been corrupted.
  • edited June 2011
    Well, shit. Hang on. Okay, the link's been fixed. Sorry about that, all.
  • No problem. I was leaving work and may have come off a bit curt. I didn't mean anything though. Just letting you know what I was getting. Thanks foe putting this out there.
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerNo problem. I was leaving work and may have come off a bit curt. I didn't mean anything though.
    Oh, not at all -- I was just ticked that there was something wrong. Turned out the only problem was that I'm just really used to linking to PDFs instead of zip files, apparently.
  • i've been dreaming of it, you've made it.
    thanks Mike !
  • What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE????!!!!

This is AWESOME!

I had toyed around with this idea, but gave it up when I saw Dungeon World and Old School Hack...but this rekindles the fire of DANGER!
    I will have to read it through in greater detail later (when I am not at work...though I shall be tempted to look).
  • This does look pretty sweet. Any chance of combining them into one PDF?

I'd really like to see more discussion of Danger Patrol stuff. It looks like it could be really awesome. I'd like to tweak two things, but I'm not sure how they'd actually play out in practice. I'll post them in a separate thread.
  • Posted By: cyAny chance of combining them into one PDF?
    That was my intent, but I was doing so much foot-dragging on that front I just zipped them all in an effort to make it available already. I'm afraid my best answer is that I'll get to it when I can. The pain-in-the-assness is that it's all done in Word, and Word was doing weird things when I wanted to, say, insert a page break.

(Of course, if someone else wants to merge the PDFs directly in Acrobat, I'm all for it. I only have Reader.)
  • Cool! I really like Northern, Eastern, Western, Southern. That's a much more interesting way to say "human."
  • I use http://foxyutils.com/mergepdf/ to merge PDFs - it shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes. (I too only have Reader).

I agree with John - Southern, Northern, etc. are more interesting than Human but it uses some well-established archetypes so it doesn't take long to figure out what a Northerner would be like.
  • Yeah, the compass-directions-as-cultures thing comes largely from Conan: barbarians to the north, weird people to the south, inscrutable stereotypes to the east, and "civilization" somewhere vaguely in the middle.

Plus, it was either that or shoehorn in three more kinds of elves or something. I must have a full eight cultures!
  • I'll repeat a request I made of the original Danger Patrol, regarding formatting:

If you had a PDF containing the cards for Dangers & Dragons, each as a full page, it would be easy for me to print out any pairing very easily at the table.

Example, suppose someone wants to be an Dwarven Thief, and, say "Dwarven" was page 2 of this PDF and "Thief" was page 18. I select Print in Acrobat. In the dialog that comes up, I set the print range to the "Pages" setting and type in 2,18. I then set page scaling to "Multple pages per sheet" and "Pages per sheet" to 2. Viola, a Dwarven Thief sheet on demand.
  • edited July 2011
    I found this to be quite entertaining. So much so, that I leveled up the presentation (and, taking Wordman's advice to heart, I also made a version with one-up sheets). Be warned, they're kinda big. A little over 5MB and 7MB respectively.

...because I just can't leave well enough alone.
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinI found this to be quite entertaining. So much so, that I leveled up thepresentation(and, taking Wordman's advice to heart, I also made a version withone-up sheets). Be warned, they're kinda big. A little over 5MB and 7MB respectively.

...because I just can't leave well enough alone.
    That's awesome, man -- I just do not have the graphic design know-how to make something that looks so great. Thanks!
  • No prob. If I can't design my own games, I may as well design stuff for others. Besides, this was kinda fun. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play it this weekend.
  • Hi there,

I'm trying to up this thread just because it looks like the original Danger & Dragons zip file is gone. The domain name seems to have vanished and I can't find a trace of the file on the web.

Anybody knows if this DP hack is available somewhere?
  • Hi there,

I'm trying to up this thread just because it looks like the original Danger & Dragons zip file is gone. The domain name seems to have vanished and I can't find a trace of the file on the web.

Anybody knows if this DP hack is available somewhere?
    Looks like I still have a copy of the original, as well as my slightly adjusted versions.
  • Nice clean layout and take on Da&Dr

...and here is the french version of Danger and Dragons with new layout , expect the bottom (beta 0.1)

http://www.narrativiste.eu/2012/danger-dragons/

:) Thanks Mike & J. Harper for this fantastic game. Any news about a gamma version of DP ?
  • Gamma isn't done, but there is this: Pocket Danger Patrol.
  • I know it. Remember John, we've been already talking about it (and nutella)
    So gamma isn't done but...maybe you could tell us (just) a bit about what you have in mind ?
  • Ah. Now I've got it. So we'll just need to send Nutella jars overseas to John and bang! new Danger Patrol version, right?

:)
  • Yeah, I know you know. That was for everyone else. :)

mmmmmmmmm nutella
  • edited January 2013
    Ah. Now I've got it. So we'll just need to send Nutella jars overseas to John and bang! new Danger Patrol version, right?

:)
    The perfect plan Muwahahah..kof..kof. Sorry.

By the way, for christmas, i saw 5 kilos jars (can ?) here, in a toy'r'us or something like that. Really.

Edit: if only that plan could work on Ben Lehman. Does anyone know about his weaknesses ?

• I may have just converted @Mike_Olson 's Dangers & Dragons to the Pocket Danger Patrol rules.

Maybe.

DangerQuest
  • Holy moses, Mike. You're a machine. Great stuff!
  • edited January 2013
    You guys know they make nutella in 11lb jars, right?

Edit: Just saw the post about 5kg jars. Doh! Filthy imperial units!
  • @stupidgremlin : i hate you. More stuff to translate know i'm afraid.

By the way, i love the "typical thread" in pocket DP & DaDr. It's exaclty what i felt it was missing when playing. The more i think about it, the more i wonder if there could be thing such as "fronts" in AW, ready-made threats and NPC on cards that i could use and combine with player's contributions.
  • I'll take nutella. It's great.

But whisky is the real way to my heart, people.

@Maitresinh: I've dabbled with a card-based DP that had pre-made threat cards. They're pretty neat. I strongly suspect that the actual for-sale product version of DP will be card based in some way, probably something like Arkham Horror.
  • Seriously ? that two information here. The card-stuff, and the "for sale" product ;)
    Anyway, i love the idea to lean on on pre-gen things. DP can be a bit challenging for the GM and thus, cards would be the right counterpart.

Check the (monsters) cards we've maed for the french version of DW.
  • Just corrected some typos and updated the file for DangerQuest.

Oh, yeah, and something new: Danger : Undead.
  • @stupidgremlin - A while back I tried my hand at assigning Danger Patrol-style powers to Danger Patrol Pocket-style characters for a D&D-style hack 'n slash game. Here's what I came up with:

Danger Patrol

It's not fancy, but the powers work great. Something to consider!
  • @dyjoots: I hadn't seen that! Cool.
  • I've recently been considering the re-addition of something like the danger track to provide tokens that can be spent on increasing hits, decreasing danger results, or activate a "bigger" class or background power, just for a little more variety.

I love exception-based powers. I crave them, to be honest. It's the only thing I miss from Danger Patrol Beta.
  • @stupidgremlin - A while back I tried my hand at assigning Danger Patrol-style powers to Danger Patrol Pocket-style characters for a D&D-style hack 'n slash game. Here's what I came up with:

Danger Patrol

It's not fancy, but the powers work great. Something to consider!
    Hmmmmmmm...INTERESTING.

I had toyed with the idea of having special abilities you could spend Hits on, to sort of differentiate between different characters...but never really got around to it (and it would've pushed the game to be longer than two pages).

I will have to try these out at some point.

In other news, we actually played DangerQuest last night at our weekly meetup (instead of Danger : Undead which I was wanting to try out), and man was that fun. It was actually the FIRST TIME since the release of Pocket Danger Patrol that I've been able to run a DP-powered game that lasted more than one action scene! Of course, it was extremely comedic, with wrestlers-turned-heroes, dark dwarves-turned-WWF-themed-wrestlers, battles between Susano-o and Bacchus and their terrible STD-style curses, lots of beer, and the horrific cyclopean god known only as Gunther. We were laughing it up SO MUCH (and did far too many Macho Man imitations).
  • Just corrected some typos and updated the file for DangerQuest.
    Sweet! I may get a chance to run this at Emerald City Comic Con in March.
  • Hey @stupidgremlin - the link to DangerQuest is a kaput. Could we get another one?
  • Let's try this one.

It's been so long since I checked, I can't remember if we're talking about the old Beta Danger Patrol rules, or the current Pocket Danger Patrol rules...so hopefully Pocket DangerQuest will be okay.

• edited September 2013
    That looks awesome! I'm just a little confused about character creation. If I'm an Elvish Wizard, do I get 5 dice in Arcane and none in Vitality? (Wait, I get it. Race and Class each have five dice they assign to traits. Makes sense!)

I love everybody having their own threats. It'd be pretty fun to play goodies and badies at the same time!

Nicely done!
  • edited September 2013
    I brought Mike Wight's previous draft of DangerQuest to PAX Games On Demand this weekend (plus the original Pocket Danger Patrol and my own PDP Shadowrun hack) and used this GM-less procedure in four separate games. It seems to be a winning formula! I look forward to trying it with the new version. I love the bit about keeping the surplus Threats to introduce later...

Some house rules that were particularly effective this weekend:

. Starting each session by writing up lots of Styles and Roles on separate post-it notes, then collaborating on pairing them up into the most entertaining Threats possible - everyone enjoyed this, and it helped to get us on the same page regarding the nature and scope of the story very quickly

. Players narrating their results according to which dice hit and missed - this is my favorite rule, and one that seemed to bring several new story-gamers out of their shells by giving them very clear creative prompts - I use this rule in my FATE games as well, with each color FUDGE die representing a different narrative element

. And I also changed the Flashbacks to investigations instead of rescues, each player briefly narrating a previous scene in which their hero learned something important about one of the current Threats, leaving their hits on it to represent that inside info - the players often left the actual facts to be determined by the next person to target that Threat, and everyone seemed to enjoy that challenge
  • . Players narrating their results according to which dice hit and missed - this is my favorite rule, and one that seemed to bring several new story-gamers out of their shells by giving them very clear creative prompts - I use this rule in my FATE games as well, with each color FUDGE die representing a different narrative element
    How does this work in Fate?
  • The red die represents offense (the acting party's efforts), blue is defense, white is time and black is space. I attempted to describe it more clearly over in this thread.
  • I brought Mike Wight's previous draft of DangerQuest to PAX Games On Demand this weekend (plus the original Pocket Danger Patrol and my own PDP Shadowrun hack)
    Hold on, hold on... wait a minute... a PDP Shadowrun hack? Where? where is it? Me want! ;)

• edited September 2013
    All I did was Sprawl-ify part of Mike Wight's Ultra-Threat-O-Matic, then make up some appropriate Styles / Roles and import some Shadowrun attributes.

Here's my character card and the Threats / Complications from last week's game at PAX. I'll post an AP if anyone's interested in the details...