Is there a reason Smallville is getting no awards love?

edited July 2011 in Story Games
Great game, wonderful design, nothing really out there like it. Even if it's not your bag, the game design is truly evocative of a certain kind of game play.

So why the heck aren't the folks on this years various awards committees not bothering to give it any kind of recognition?

Thought it was robbed for a Diana Jones...and now Ennie.

Wow.

Comments

• Agreed
  • I was talking to a few friends today about this. One thought was that the license was a turn-off (though we've had many people tell us they play the game in spite of that). Another was that the real draw of Smallville and Leverage are their emergent play qualities, which you might not get out of reading the rulebooks. I'm not sure. It was a really strong year, with a lot of prime candidates. Judging this slate can't have been easy.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Smallville was ok at first, I actually did not even realize it was still on after the second season, as I guess I grew out of the TeenyBopper phase. Leverage was cool, but WAY too episodic for my tastes.

The game is amazing though. I could not even imagine actually playing it in a "Smallville" type setting. I have used it for Game of Thrones type setting, a Dune setting, and currently a game set in the Amber universe. It does a great job on story, and we love it. I just do not get any sort of mentality towards a setting? I have close to a 100 different games on my shelf, most with a different setting, and I have never used a setting from a single one of them, and I am not likely to ever do so.
  • I too was surprised to see it absent from the nominations. Definitely should've been nominated for Best Rules, at the very least.
  • There could also be some baggage from previous MWP games, which have been pretty mediocre in terms of tailoring the system to the media property.

I was definitely surprised too. I'm infinitely more excited by Smallville than DC Adventures or Icons.
  • It was a tough year!

Gamma World and D&D Essentials also didn't make it (both are excellent). But the new D&D Red Box not making it seems pretty questionable to me (if it was eligible). That said, it was a crowded year.

Smallville has a few factors against it. I think the license is not favored by that community. But the rules text is also hard to follow at different points and just reading it (and I suspect but can't say for sure, that the judges didn't play every game that were submitted) won't give many people a sense of how the game actually plays. There is a lot of brilliance you may never realize if you don't play it, not just once, but for a few sessions.

Previous Cortex games may have also been a factor. It's the same with D&D 4E. 4E had problems but Essentials fixed many of these problems and is excellent. But I suspect the memory of 4E's shortcomings overshadowed what is, in my opinion, an outstanding game.

Was Leverage eligible? Or will it be eligible next year?

Leverage should be on the list (if not now, next year). The license is more favorable to gamers, it builds on Smallville, and the text is much better at not only clarity buy conveying a sense of what the game is like to play. Also a great game!
  • Leverage was eligible and submitted, yes. It came out prior to the cutoff period.
  • Watched half an episode of Smallville and zero of Leverage, honestly the licenses ARE a turn off for me. Sad but true.
    --
    TAZ
  • Definitely agree about the MWP baggage. I was disappointed by bland rules of Serentity, and BSG without the "drama" is just kind of painful. I ignored Smallville at that point, until a friend described its crazy negotiating-with-a-stick-relationship-map goodness. If Smallville and Leverage don't win, sure, but not to be nominated? That's madness, or possibly Sparta.

They need to put out a some kind of Cortex Plus hack for Serenity and BSG. Maybe as a thin book or a PDF.
  • The ENnies have always been terrible and always will be, by design.

Diana Jones is a SUPER short list, not being on it doesn't indicate much of anything.
  • I agree 100% with Jason.
  • Posted By: LudantoThey need to put out a some kind of Cortex Plus hack for Serenity and BSG. Maybe as a thin book or a PDF.
    Here's half of what you're looking for: http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Serenity:Main_Page
  • edited July 2011
    Or you could grab a copy of the Big Damn Heroes Handbook, which I'm pretty sure that's lifted from.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • edited July 2011
    Posted By: AusJebHere's half of what you're looking for:http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Serenity:Main_Page
    That's just the same Assets/Complications but with different die codes. I'd like to see them with relationship maps and emotional stats and structure like Smallvile/Leverage with maybe a gimmick to bring out the central themes. I feel like Serenity could use some kind of unifying mechanic that ties that PCs to each other and the ship as a crew/family and the stresses associated with that. BSG would maybe have some kind of trust/paranoia/faith effect(s). I think those reflect some important elements of the shows.

I could probably hack that together myself, but I've got no players to test it.
  • Oooohhh yeah. I luvs what I've heard about Smallville, but the only superhero more lame ass than superman is superman as a kid. I have the Serenity PDF and aside from "Licensed Firefly stuff, yay" there wasn't much to luv in that book.

But Serenity second edition...using the Smallville relationship rules and the Leverage rules cribbed for Firefly missions...hells yes. Someone get on that, stat.
  • Posted By: ValamirBut Serenity second edition...using the Smallville relationship rules and the Leverage rules cribbed for Firefly missions...hells yes. Someone get on that, stat.
    Hey, Cam, Ralph would like to triple your volume of Cortex Plus hate mail! :D

I would love a Plus treatment for Firefly or BSG, though.

Also: boo, hiss, nominations, WTF! Now I'm on topic!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Seeing what an improvement Smallville was on previous Cortex games, and what an improvement Leverage was on Smallville as a rules text... I'm very excited to see what comes next!
    Posted By: ValamirBut Serenity second edition...using the Smallville relationship rules and the Leverage rules cribbed for Firefly missions...hells yes. Someone get on that, stat.
    Yes!