Folks, looking for recommendations as to what games are out there -- published, free, ashcans, out of print, whatever -- that might be appropriate for my group:
1. We're all experienced story-gamers and traditional rpgs tend to bore us.
2. We're looking for a fantasy game that allows for long term (10+ sessions) sandbox game-play.
3. If possible we want to indulge in some D&D tropes (character archetypes, adventuring party, some monster slaying, etc. )
4. We want this to be fun but not feel like a silly romp.
5. We want to do much more than simply dungeon crawl.
6. We want a GM in the mix but are looking for more of a facilitator as much as an author; we're each of us totally fine with generating story on our own and perpetuating character motivations and goals.
7. Setting creation will be a shared, ongoing exercise and we embrace the idea of situation or premise play to kick things off.
So, what's out there? Looking for anything that might scratch that itch of fantasy world sandbox play/exploration but something suitable for story-gamers. An especially awesome hack for Red Box D&D? Dungeon World drift? Old school rpg goals but with New School rules? Pathfinder by way of In a Wicked Age? Also, yes I'm very aware of Burning Wheel (great game, love it).