[Dungeon World] Gunslinger: A New Class

edited October 2011 in Make Stuff!
Drawing heavily on the Pathfinder Gunslinger, I created the Gunslinger class for Dungeon World.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments you have, and I hope you're happy for any contributions to come under the Open Game License like this class does.

I'm trying a few symbols in this document. ■ means '10 or higher', □ means '7-9' and ✘ means '6 or lower'. I'm not married to the idea; I'd love to know what you think of it.

The Gunslinger
A class for Dungeon World.

[Flavour]

Names
Dwarf: Flint,
Gnome: ?.
Human: Clint, No Name, ?.

Look
Choose one for each.

Thousand-Yard Stare ● Bored Stare ● Hungry Stare
Scarred Face ● Damn Ugly Face ● Soft Face
Riding Gear ● Dueling Finery ● Dirty Rags
Gaunt Body ● Ravaged Body ● Muscled Body

Stats
Assign these scores to your stats: 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8.

Your base HP is 7. You start with 7+Con HP.

Your base damage is d10.

Starting Moves

Choose a racial move:

Dwarf
Earthborne Bullet: When you fire a bullet through dirt or unworked stone, it passes through as if the obstacle were not there.

[Or, the Fighter’s Blacksmith talent?]

Gnome
Gunsmith: When you spend a few hours tweaking your signature weapon, roll +Int. On a ■, change both enhancements and the range to whatever you like. On a □, change one enhancement or the range to whatever you choose. The GM will change the other two factors to whatever he or she chooses.

Human
Cheat Death: When you reach 0 HP, do not take your last breath. Instead, roll +Cha. On a ■, pick 2. On a □, pick 1.
  • You live.
  • Death doesn’t realise your presence.
  • You bring a wicked gun or ammunition back from past the Black Gates.
  • You bring a wandering soul back.
Cheat Death: When you reach 0 HP, do not take your last breath.
Instead, roll +Cha. On a hit you live. On a ■, choose 1; on a □, choose 0:
  • One of Death's secrets is revealed to the world.
  • Death is not enraged.
  • You get to choose which soul slips past the gates.
  • A wicked new gun or ammunition is brought out beyond the Black Gates.
You may forgo your life for an additional choice. You may make a bargain with Death for an additional choice.

You start with these moves:

Trick Shot
When you make a trick shot, like scooting an object along by shooting it, blasting the lock off a door or cauterising a wound with the still-hot muzzle of a gun, roll +Dex. On a ■, choose 3. On a □, choose 2.
  • It only takes one shot (don’t lose 1 Ammo).
  • Nothing of value is damaged.
  • It’s not too noisy.
  • The shot goes off just as you wanted it to.
Underestimated
As the Fighter ability of the same name.

Signature Weapon

[Flavour]

Choose a base weapon. All are 2 weight.
  • Musket
  • Pistol
  • Blunderbuss
Choose a range:
  • Reach
  • Near
  • Far
Choose two enhancements:
  • Sturdy butt. Also has Hand range, for hack and slash.
  • Deadeye. +2 piercing.
  • Heavy. +1 damage but +1 weight.
  • Twin barrels. +1 damage.
  • Never runs out of bullets.
  • Huge. +messy, +forceful.
  • Versatile. Choose another range.
  • Fits a purse. -1 weight.
Choose a look:
  • Engraved with a mythical creature.
  • Made of strange, glowing alloys.
  • Clockwork and steampowered.
  • Inlaid with gold and mother-of-pearl.
  • Worn.
Advanced Moves

When you gain a level from 2-5, choose from these moves.

Steady Aim
You suffer no penalty for using a firearm at any range.

Gun Tank
When you wear armour, ignore the Clumsy tag.

Resilience
When you stoically endure danger, you may roll +Con instead of +Dex.

Deflection
When the damage from a ranged attack is completely absorbed by your armour, the bullet, sling, bolt or arrow ricochets off you and strikes a Near enemy.

Secret Stash
When you run out of ammunition, you can always find more in your pockets.

Ricochet
When you score a ■ on volley, you may do half damage to a second Near enemy as well.

Birdshot Augur
When you fire your gun into the air after quiet reflection, the passage of your bullet is meaningful. Roll +Wis. On a ■, the GM will give you a strong insight. On a □, the GM will give you a nudge.

Clip
When you get a ✘ result on volley, you do half damage regardless.

Stunning Shot
When you get a ■ result on a volley, instead of doing damage you may stun the enemy. This stops them from doing damage on □ results, but not ✘ results. A good hard move is for the creature to snap out of it.

Targeted Shot
When you get a ■ result on a volley, you may also pick 1:
  • Target is hit in the arm and drops an item.
  • Target is hit in the leg and falls prone.
  • Target is hit in the head and briefly confused (the target does nothing unless in immediate danger).
  • Target is hit in the wing and falls from the sky.
Clustered Shot
When you and an ally attack an enemy in quick succession, you pool your damage for the purpose of overcoming armour.

Menacing Shot
When you fire a shot into the air, roll +Cha. On a ■, a number of monsters whose levels equal your level flee for a short time, kowtow to you in worship or offer you tribute. On a □, choose one:
  • You must move into danger to make the shot.
  • Your gun jams.
  • Your ammo is reduced by 1 as you fire multiple times.
Alignment
Choose an alignment:

Chaotic
When you leave behind responsibilities, mark XP.

Chaotic Good
When you set something or someone free, mark XP.

Gear
Your load is 6+Str. You start with 15 gold, your signature weapon and Bullets & Shot (5 Ammo).

Bonds
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:
[Not done yet].

Guns
Guns add another option to volley on a □: your weapon jams, requiring a saving throw to clean it.

Types
Pistol
Near, 7 Gold, 1 weight.

Musket
Near, Far, 10 Gold, 1 weight.

Blunderbuss
Reach, Reload, +1 damage, Two-Handed, 7 Gold, 2 weight.

Bullets & Shot
5 Ammo, 10 Gold, 1 weight.

Open Game License
Open Content Declaration: The entire text of this work, with the exception of the text under the Open Game License heading, is open game content.

Product Identity: The words ‘Pathfinder’, ‘Paizo Publishing’, ‘Apocalypse World’ and ‘Dungeon World’ are Product Identity of their respective owners.
Text of the Open Game License

Section 15
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Combat. © 2011, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Jason Bulmahn, Tim Hitchcock, Colin McComb, Rob McCreary, Jason Nelson, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Sean K Reynolds, Owen K.C. Stephens, and Russ Taylor.

The Gunslinger: A Class for Dungeon World. © 2011, Chris Sakkas. With help from Paul Taliesin, Joseph LeMay, Colin (Steerpike), Mark Causey, Alexander Davis.

Comments

• Hey, this looks pretty cool.

I really like the "cheat death" move!

(Although the 7-9 result seems a little... boring. Why wouldn't you pick "you live" every time?)
  • Well, if your whole mission in life was to rescue someone you loved from Death's grasp, you might do it as an awesome last hurrah for a one-shot, but that's all I got.
  • Good catch, guys! How does this look instead?

**Cheat Death:** When you reach 0 HP, do not take your last breath. Instead, roll +Cha. On a ■, pick 2. On a □, pick 1.

You live.
    One of Death's secrets is revealed to the world.
    Death is not enraged.
    A wandering soul slips out past the Black Gates.
    A wicked new gun or ammunition is brought out beyond the Black Gates.

It's still got "You live" as the most desirable option, but hopefully there are now reasons why you might not choose it. Has that fixed it, or is the problem still there?
  • edited October 2011
    I guess my concern is that the 7-9 is the MOST common outcome. So, how often do you expect characters in your game to make this kind of decision?

(I haven't played DW, so I don't know how often characters die. But if it happens now and then, not only rarely and at dramatic moments, then this choice will be an obvious one for most players, which makes it a non-choice, really.)

One obvious solution would be to say on a 10+ you pick THREE, and on a 7-9 you pick TWO. But now the move may be TOO friendly... not sure.
  • How about on a hit you live, on a 10+ choose 2, on. 7-9 choose 1

Death is not enraged.
    You get to choose which soul slips past the gates.

Since choosing to live is an option you always take now it is automatically part of the hit

- Colin
  • Posted By: SteerpikeHow about on a hit you live, on a 10+ choose 2, on. 7-9 choose 1

Death is not enraged.
    You get to choose which soul slips past the gates.

Since choosing to live is an option you always take now it is automatically part of the hit

- Colin
    Also, allow someone to obviate living for another option on the list?
  • edited October 2011
    Cheat Death: When you reach 0 HP, do not take your last breath.
    Instead, roll +Cha. On a hit you live. On a 10+ choose 1, on a 7-9 choose 0:
    • One of Death's secrets is revealed to the world.
    • Death is not enraged.
    • You get to choose which soul slips past the gates.
    • A wicked new gun or ammunition is brought out beyond the Black Gates.
    You may forgo your life for an additional choice. You may make a bargain with Death for an additional choice.

Maybe?
  • edited October 2011
    Looks great folks! I'll edit it into the first post.

Thanks.

(EDIT: Also, I've added your names to the Section 15 as helpers. Let me know if you want them removed).
  • This is cool. It doesn't feel like I want to slap it down into a regular DW game though, it feels like it deserves a whole set of classes for some badass fantasy western setting.
    Posted By: SanglorianGuns
    Guns add another option to defy danger on a □: your weapon jams, requiring a saving throw to clean it.
    Do you mean an option to Volley? It certainly should be a potential GM move on any miss involving the gun.
  • Posted By: AnarchangelThis is cool. It doesn't feel like I want to slap it down into a regular DW game though, it feels like it deserves a whole set of classes for some badass fantasy western setting.
    Thanks! If you feel like cooking up some more classes, please do!
    Do you mean an option to Volley? It certainly should be a potential GM move on any miss involving the gun.
    Good catch - I've fixed it.