Ultimate RPG Game Table!

edited October 2006 in Story Games
The Ultimate RPG Gaming Table is a homebrew project from some serious gamer makers. The table sports dice pits, individual lighted player stations, a DM's station with a space for a computer, and a system of under-table tubes through which the DM can pass "message spheres" bearing s33kr1ts to individual player-stations.

http://www.agyris.net/v3/ugt/default.asp

Comments

• And here I thought this was going to be a thread about Andy's new furniture!

Thomas
  • Yes, it's cool but, I would be very surprised if more than a small number of people hadn't heard of this thing. It made the rounds in ENWorld about four years ago.
  • It strikes me as interesting that the character sheets are all hidden.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • it looks like a warhammer 40k building, not a table. I don't see how that would ever look good in anyone's house, unless they live in some kind of gothic space station.

Also, does anyone really need this. has anyone ever thought "man, this whole gm screen, note passing by hand, dice are on the table system is totally lame."

it just feels really needless and silly. a game table need only be spill proof, comfortable to sit at, sturdy, and big enough for the whole group of players. And clean. Wipe that thing down once in a while.
  • This table's been featured on that site for a few years now and while I initially thought it was really cool, I see now that it's only cool for a very, very specific kind of play. I can't quite articulate what that style is, but I so know it, as do many other gamers. One thing I do like is that the table is so interactive and evocative that it becomes a kind of elaborate game board.
  • I remember this. It makes me kinda sad.

I mean, message spheres?

• Sorry, I didn't know this was old news. I guess I'm behind the times.. <:\
  • It's still a sight to behold, don't feel bad Chris. :)
  • Posted By: shreyasI remember this. It makes me kinda sad.I mean, message spheres?
    You know with all the strange bickering that's gone on recently, it's nice to be reminded that I'm amongst right thinking people. Sight to behold, but man, that's not the game I want to be playing.
  • You guys are so serious. Lighten up, it's a wonderful object of obsession and devotion and I'd love to play a game at that guys insano table, secret message hamster balls and all.

You could always suggest extensive modifications for switching machinery to route fan mail via hamster ball.
  • I'm with Jason. Besides the fact that Daniel (the Agyris guy) is a nice person and a very talented designer, this table is awesome. There's nothing sad about it. If you have this table, you take your game fun seriously. I would love to play in the Agyris game, at this table.
  • Yeah, I mean, I don't think any less of the guys that made it and love it, but I do not think their fun is my fun. That's all.

• edited October 2006
    Posted By: shreyasIt makes me kinda sad. I mean,message spheres?
    so here's a reversal:

Design Challenge: Design a role-playing game that you would enjoy that employs this table's unique features... especially the message spheres! :)
  • There's lots of fun metaphors for those message spheres: messenger pigeons, passing notes in a prison, passing notes in class, sending messages to distant places and times.
  • I remember this bad boy... a real labor of love.

Anyway...

Can someone clue me in on what's bad about the mesage spheres? I think I get it, but I want to make sure I udnerstand.
  • Design Challenge: Design a role-playing game that you would enjoy that employs this table's unique features... especially the message spheres! :)

I think any flavor of Paranoia would make maximum use of this table.
  • Buzz, I think a lot of people scoff at the notion of player secrecy as opposed to character secrecy. I use player secrecy all the time in one game group, but when we tried it in my other game group it evoked howls of scorn last week, which was pretty funny.
  • Thanks, Jason. That's what I thought.

(I don't scoff, but I generally am not interested in it anymore.)
  • Yeah, I'm always suprised with the number of haters of my table. (Especially since I built it because of my own sheer love of gaming.)

Oh well. It's been a really fun plaything, nonetheless.

I built it with goodwill gaming in mind, not I'm-all-about-keeping-secrets-from-the-players sort of play. I actually use the message system to reveal individual details to players in game. (Basically, customized things that they percieve that the other characters don't). You might even be surprised that the message delivery bit isn't the prime reason I built the table; it was just a fun way to make it as "gaming" as possible.

I never intended it to be a statement *about* how you game, or how you *should* game. Do what you want. My games are story, character, and setting driven, as much as possible.

Looks like a Warhammer 40k building? Yeah, I wanted it to look kinda steampunk/WWI. I was going to add rivots.

Even though the table doesn't seem to suit most of you, I thought that I'd mention that it is now on ebay anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/y95clw

Feel free to spread the word.

Happy Gaming,

Daniel

PS, thanks for the kind words, Mr. Harper. I'm trying to reach you, but don't find any email addy on your blog. Feel free to drop me a line on my steamcrow.com contact form.
  • Hey, he's got my first name! *does a dance*
  • edited November 2006
    Does anyone in Raleigh have the space for this behemoth? Because I would totally give $100 to the person who buys it to play at it if they live in the Triangle.

Daniel: Have you thought of instead of selling the table, perhaps selling tickets to fly into town and game at your table? Because that would be rad, and you could use the extra money to build an addition to your house for your office. :-)

-Andy
  • Heck, I would create a tea garden/gazebo in my backyard for it. However, we would be eaten alive by mosquitoes.

-Andy
  • A smart gaming company would purchase the table and go on tour at conventions selling premium tickets to play demos with it.
  • I just wish I could get my players to sit at a table at all. I firmly believe that lounging around the living room while playing is killing the game.
  • Funny, I find that lounging about the living room makes game work better than sitting about a table like John-Boy and his ilk.

But, if I were to play at a table, that would be the table I would play at.
  • Maybe I should start another thread about my play space and how I hate it and rage to the skies every week. :)
  • Do it JD!

I will counter with how much I love my playspace. Especially now that I have my new persian carpet.
  • Sorry, this is awesome.

Yes, I would totally design a game that revolved around this table's features. It would need to have:
    • Steampunk setting. If characters are some sort of cubicle-bound wageslaves, even better.
    • Tactical miniatures combat
    • Player vs. player to some degree
    • A sound board running on your laptop with wicked awesome sound effects -- guns, hydraulics, explosions
    Maybe start with Mechaton and go from there?
  • MoMo
    edited November 2006
    It would rock to have a cool backstabbing negotiation game somewhere between diplomacy and paranoia where you could send hamster balls to any other player -(I guess on this table it would have to happen via the GM) in order to work out secret alliances!

Muhahaha!

Although it would be interesting if the GM could, at his descretion, modify the messages as they go back and forth.

Trust the computer. The computer is your friend.
  • Daniel, the people who find it "sad" are saying that in their preferred style of play, not getting to see everything as a player is considered detrimental. That is, what it looks like you're saying is that what the table helps with is the classic form of playing that tries to link player knowledge as closely to character knowledge as possible. In "Story Games" the idea usually is that all of the players are audience to the story that's unfolding as if they were watching a movie. So if they miss out on some bit of scenery or something, they think it's, well, sad.

This is the classic dichotomy between "simulation immersion" and "story immersion." Experience being first hand, or as audience.

Mike