Let's Laugh At Our 2012 Predictions

edited January 2013 in Story Games
Our 2010 predictions were complete failures, and 2011 was a billion times worse (scientific estimate). The topic is Games and Gaming, but you're not held too strictly to that. What do you think will happen in 2012? List it here so that in 2013 we can all gather and laugh at you.

(2013 Edit: Scroll down and skip to the last page for the results!)

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Personal:
    I'll get an Ennies nomination but fail to get silver or gold.
    I'll start a gaming company, but it will be almost be a non-profit since I'm not in it for the money.
    MonkeyCon One will be an bigger success that the MC Zero.
    One of the actual play podcasts that I appear in will get a minor award.
    I'll be able to steal my old domain name back from the cyber squatters.
    The person laughing the loudest at these predictions will be me.

Industry:
    Story Games will get a shout out at a major games award ceremony.
    Adamant's Buckaroo Banzai will be a complete sell out at Gencon.
    Adamant will sell the movie rights for Far West, but nothing will happen with it.
    The next mega hit for the iPhone will be an RPG.
    Someone will make a combination LARP and critter battle game for the smart phones, probably the Android.
    Japanese pen and paper RPGs will show up in a major gaming blog and NOT be ridiculed.
    The number of people that play role playing games via Skype or Google+ will double (not that I have a way to measure that.)
    A non-industry convention earlier in the year will have a Legionaires Disease scenario and it will drive GenCon attendance down.

World:
    Obama will be a one term president, but it's more due to 'vote for the other guy' than whatever the GOP can put on stage.
    The lame duck administration instead of rolling over will raise a shit storm of agenda based legislation and executive orders.
    Israel will get hit hard and the will US sit on its hands offering humanitarian aid but no support as an ally.
    The Higgs Boson will not be found.

Way out there:
    Using Heim Drosher theory, some eggheads will make a rotating superconducting ring that will generate .001 of a G. It will prove that anti-gravity can be generated, but that it's practical application are next to nil. The money and resources for a 'full scale' test will not appear.
    More PHDs will choose to deny the results rather than accept them since it contradicts their pet theory(s).
    A 100kg meteor will impact in an Asian city. More people are killed in the panic than from the actual impact.
    Mayan calendar ends, nothing happens.
    --
    TAZ
  • Tabletop roleplaying games try to enter the erotic roleplay market.

• edited December 2011
    I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons wrong all these years?
    Would you like me to draw the inevitable Freudian parallels?
    I can even draw 'em using graph paper if you'd like?
  • Posted By: shreyasTabletop roleplaying games try to enter the erotic roleplay market.
    Too late. Google "book of erotic fantasy."
  • game industry
    FFG will fully replace WOTC

world
    election fraud will be rampant in the usa

personal
    the success of seed rpg will make papercrafted.com feel like a waste of my time.
  • WotC will announce D&D5 with a strong "back to basics" marketing campaign (not unlike the essentials line, but moreso). The result will be pretty damn cool. It will do fairly well, but will be markedly outsold by Pathfinder.
  • Man, I don't know!

It's gonna be weird when WotC falls apart.

If not DnD, then what?
  • There will be an anthology of Indie roleplaying games.

There will be a physical meeting of Norwegian and US indie RPG designers (outside of the Knutepunkt context).

Gary Gygax will rise from the dead.

Unfinished games will be the new rage. Designers will intentionally publish incomplete rules and people will try to play them all rorschach-like from their personal idea of the game.
  • oh my god

nobody has learned anything from how horrible we did the last two years

NOBODY

ANYTHING
  • I must admit I'm not so good at predictions (I'm either too cautious or too imaginative), but here's a few things that have been bouncing around in my skull:

-WOTC will release a special edition of Magic: The Gathering, that will either let the players build "avatars" much like a Gamma World character, or will be a seperate game entirely to allow players to build narratives within the MTG world that don't revolve around combat.

-as an economic gaming solution, some company other than WizKids will release sheets of pre-diecut paper miniatures printed on thin foam-core sheets that can be punched out and assembled, muck like those Star Wars spaceships they had a few years ago. There will be an assortment of customizable components, like different weapons and such.
  • Wow, not one of the predictions in this thread is even close to being likely. Do you guys live in a parallel universe?
  • if your going to be wrong may as well be wrong all the way :P
  • I think so. MTG that doesn't revolve around combat? Combat is the whole point of the game. It's a wizards' duel. That's like saying, "They're going to come out with a new version of Settlers of Catan that has magic, but none of that resource-gathering business."
  • Actual predictions:

WotC will make some sort of announcement about 5e at GenCon 2012
    Obama will win a second term
    The Forge will close completely
    The Hobbit Part One will be shit
  • Oh hell, why not?

Luke will pick up the coolest licence yet.

The DJ award will not go to an RPG.

2012 is the Year of Danger Patrol!*

Obama will be the first president since FDR to win re-election with unemployment higher (much higher) than 7.2%. He will subsequently move even further to the right.

* Every year is the Year of Danger Patrol.
  • edited December 2011
    Posted By: nemomeme

Obama will be the first president since FDR to win re-election with unemployment higher (much higher) than 7.2%. He will subsequently moveeven furtherto the right.
    Surely even the American electorate isn't mental enough to elect any of the current GOP candidates? Romney maybe excepted.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, 2004 flashback! Never misunderestimate the American electorate.
  • Posted By: MatthijsUnfinished games will be the new rage. Designers willintentionallypublish incomplete rules and people will try to play them all rorschach-like from their personal idea of the game.
    And Jared says, "Been there, done that."
  • edited December 2011
    Romney will win the GOP nomination (as he is the only candidate that isn't Ron Paul who can put together a coherent sentence).

This will cause a number of high-profile "third party" candidates to be taken semi-seriously.

Though it will at times look otherwise during the campaigning, in the event Obama will defeat Romney and the third party candidates by at least 10%.

At no time will the 2012 presidential election be anything other than The Party That Is Completely Anemic vs. The Parties That Are Completely Delusional.

In spite of their demonstrated inability to provide even the most basic functions of the Legislative Branch and a really pissed off electorate, incumbents up for re-election will fare no worse than usual.

WotC will not release a new version of D&D.

WotC will release a new edition of some other title in their arsenal. (To repeat last year's prediction, I continue to lean towards Top Secret.)

Lines will continue to get more blurry between "indie" and "trad" games, whatever you think that means. In particular, instead of "fantasy heartbreakers", there will be a number of traditional-like games with some hackbird-like stuff tacked onto them. None of these will amount to much.

One game will "crossover" and be enthusiastically loved by the story games crowd and the old school crowd. (Could be that this is already Dungeon World, but I'm not sure.)

The world will not end on December 21, 2012. (Also, no dragon will be seen rising from Mt. Fuji on that day... or any other.)

John Carter will be better than the geek crowd expects. Prometheus will be worse than the geek crowd expects, but better than the non-geek crowd expects. Both will inspire new games.

The Hunger Games will be exactly what people expect. It will not inspire games, but anime in the "high school students killing each other competitively" genre will.
  • Someone will design yet another game where you roll dice and add a modifier to see if you hit a guy.
  • @silby HAVE YOU BEEN READING MY NOTES???

Politics in America will contenue to be an outdated system and protests will contenue to rise. Police and military will end up killing 10+ civilians who have been declared terrorists for protesting against the govenment.

Hasboro will shut down the D&D branch of WotC and sit on D&D as a brand rather than sell it.

I'm feeling doom and gloomy tonight.
  • - Most people will play D&D in some edition.

- Many people over the Internet will claim that the industry ad hobby are doomed.

- Storygames will keep being fringe and mostly unknown to most gamers and non-gamers.

- People discussing games over the Internet will keep believing that their discussions and preferences are representative of the hobby as a whole.

- The majority of the hobby will game, unaware of the existence of Internet arguments, RPG.net / indie / OSR/ whatever darlings, usually their favourite game (that most probably will be D&D in some edition).
  • Steve Jackson Games will release GURPS ports of popular "story games."

Look for GURPS Sea Dracula in March and GURPS Burning Wheel at Gencon.
  • Just a personal one: Beyond the Mirror, my first game, will be released.
  • nobody has learned anything from how horrible we did the last two years

Show us you can do better, JD.

I don't think you can.

• Are you kidding, I made the most modest prediction I could last year and the best I can do is "meh, maybe halfway" on it. This is what I get for not using the null hypothesis of predictions: "not much will change".
  • 2012: The Year of Linux on the Desktop
  • Also:

A semi-famous indie games designer will die
    Another semi-famous indie games designer will be arrested for murder
  • Wizards of the Coast will release 5E, but it won't be called "Dungeons and Dragons". Apart from the name change, the system will be an evolution rather than a revolution compared to 4E. This move will allow them to get a full-functioned PC and Console version of them game done by someone other than Atari, along the Little Big Planet 'Play Create Share' model.

Steve Jackson Games, White Wolf, Wizkids, Pazio: one of these will be out of business by the end of 2012. At least one currently-smaller concern will be pretty close to their (current) size by then.

The Pathfinder MMO will flop and flop hard.

Someone will successfully hybridize the Dominion deck-building game with a traditional tabletop RPG (the 'character sheet' is a deck that gets changed as you level up.) ('successfully' here means 'becomes the new big thing for a while and makes a bunch of money' rather than merely 'creates a fun/playable game')
  • edited December 2011
    Posted By: jeffr
    Someone will successfully hybridize the Dominion deck-building game with a traditional tabletop RPG (the 'character sheet' is a deck that gets changed as you level up.) ('successfully' here means 'becomes the new big thing for a while and makes a bunch of money' rather than merely 'creates a fun/playable game')
    Wow, that is a great idea. That way, you have to pay $50 to play at all, and you could buy expansions for each class. Instead of prefab dungeon modules, you could sell GM card sets with monsters and treasure hoards. No silly random tables (how crass) instead everything is a deck. Much more efficient than miniatures (plus I can't paint). This is going to make me a mint. Thanks for all the money.
  • In 2012, I'm 'a publish a book. It's gonna be awesome.
  • Wizards will release more things on the Gamma World/Castle Ravenloft model: all the game you need in a box, but expandable. Specifically, "more things" means "more roleplaying games" (i.e., not another version of CR/WoA/LoD).

A guy can hope, right?
  • Posted By: jeffr

My counter-prediction is that it won't ship.
  • Posted By: jdfristromPosted By: jeffr

My counter-prediction is that it won't ship.

Yup, total vaporware.
  • Posted By: sovietAlso:

To repeat someone else's post: A guy can hope, right?
  • Posted By: Jared A. SorensenPosted By: sovietAlso:

To repeat someone else's post: A guy can hope, right?

When arrested, the semi-famous indie games designer said "It was all just a harmless bit of conflict resolution. He knew what the stakes of failure were!".
  • The world will end.

We will enjoy it.

The empty space will smell slightly of fish.

Have a nice day!
  • A bit more optimistic:

The world may not end, entirely.

We may still enjoy a last semblance of life.

There will be great new fragrance on the market.

Some of us may have a nice day.
  • The Hobbit and John Carter movies will piss off the purist in me.

I'll end up enjoying John Carter most likely.

The Hobbit will once again demonstrate why I don't like Peter Jackson movies (inconsistent tone, might-makes-right theme, token characters, humor out of left field, pretentious audience pandering to make 'em think its deep, the only subtlety in the movie is from Andy Serkis), and I'll bring up flaws with the movie, but everyone will counter with the "its an adaptation" argument instead of defending the movie on its own merits.
  • Jason Corley will say something on the internet that I do not agree with, in a manner that annoys and irks me.

Dungeon World will be released.

I'll go to GenCon and it'll be awesome.

Gaming will continue to be excellent and fun.
  • Oh! I have one!

WotC will announce a new version of D&D, probably in January!
  • Oh man, Jason, I was just about to predict that myself!!!

(Did you figure out how to ninja edit that date stamp yet? Lemme know...)
  • Jason Morningstar will predict something after it's been officially announced, and then edit it to make it look...
    hey wait... how did you get your post in while I was posting this... ?

Oh my god! He's from the future!
  • Posted By: WordmanWotC will not release a new version of D&D.
    Dammit.

Oh, wait. I did say "release". I can still stand by that one.
  • Bully Pulpit will announce a game that delves into class issues of Edwardian England.

Stoic Cripple and Evil Gay will be two character archetypes and the terms will be far and away the most controversial part of the game.
  • Posted By: Alvin FrewerBully Pulpit will announce a game that delves into class issues of Edwardian England.

Stoic Cripple and Evil Gay will be two character archetypes and the terms will be far and away the most controversial part of the game.
    No! The most controversial part is the realism, or not, of the weapon stat list.
  • So how many predictions is this so far? Have we even cracked a thousand? At this rate, we'll never get to 2,012!
  • Posted By: JBMannonHasboro will shut down the D&D branch of WotC and sit on D&D as a brand rather than sell it.
    Does that count for a half point? :-)
    --
    TAZ
  • Posted By: Mike_OlsonSo how many predictions is this so far? Have we even cracked a thousand? At this rate, we'll never get to 2,012!
    Best.
  • edited January 2012
    Posted By: Mike Sands
    No! The most controversial part is the realism, or not, of the weapon stat list.
    Currently the only weapon is Dowager Hat but that could change. I've only seen four episodes of the American remake, Downtown Abbey.